HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 09:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
@JeffPassan: Worth remembering: The Phillies are going to be signing a monster TV deal, $5B-plus easy. They can be the new Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I would think this would mean they will move Lee either by the deadline or in the offseason. Say he can be a #2 behind Hamels, at $8 million that is good nowadays for a #2. I firmly believe Cole will be fine.
I would sell almost everybody & build around this guy, Hamels, & Brown.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

@JeffPassan: Final details on Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez deal: six years, $48M guaranteed, with a vesting option for a seventh year at $11M.

@JeffPassan: One GM on Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez: "Could see anywhere from a No. 3 to a long guy." Phillies obviously saw him more as mid-rotation starter.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Wow. I had a feeling we were going to get that dude for some reason, but I didn't think it would be a big time contract like that.

In other news Amaro has done a 180 and says he'll listen to offers on Lee, Utley, Young, and Chooch...personally I'd add Rollins to that. I don't want to trade Utley unless its a legit deal. No random prospect or relief pitcher. I want a good prospect in return.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
RussianRocket10

Looking at scouting reports for this Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez guy. Not sure what to believe and what not to believe.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I'm thinking it makes it a little easier to deal Lee. Not to say he's anywhere near as good, but I think the Phils could see it as less of a drop off in talent than if they hadn't signed him.

You have Hamels, Kendrick, Gonzalez, Lannan, whoever.

As opposed to Hamels, Kendrick, Lannan, whoever, whoever.

I'm hoping Doc pitches well when he comes back. His option isn't going to vest, so if he does well maybe they offer him a cheap 1-2 year deal. It'd be nice to have Doc for cheap if the surgery really did help him and he can pitch like a 37 year old version of the hall of famer he is, and not a minor league scrub.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:25 PM
The Couturier Effect

Stark made it sound like this guy is ready for the big leagues. This is exciting.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Looking at scouting reports for this Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez guy. Not sure what to believe and what not to believe.
@jaysonst: Opinions rolling in on Gonzalez. Heard everything from No. 2-3 starter to dominating reliever to back-of-rotation guy missing 2ndary stuff

You're not the only one. I guess we'll have to see him pitch first to get a sense.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
I just read an article by Jeff Passan, said he should be up in the majors by mid August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would sell almost everybody & build around this guy, Hamels, & Brown.
That is they way I would go too, but I would even listen to offers on those two guys too. If someone blew me away with an offer I would move either one.

At the deadline I think Utley, Lee, and Bastardo all could get you good value.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
That is they way I would go too, but I would even listen to offers on those two guys too. If someone blew me away with an offer I would move either one.

At the deadline I think Utley, Lee, and Bastardo all could get you good value.
I would listen to offers but it would take a lot to pry Brown & Hamels off me if I was the GM to where the other team probably wouldn't do it.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:44 PM
RussianRocket10

This report of him sounds pretty accurate. From mlbtraderumors website.

Quote:
Gonzalez throws a mid-90s fastball, along with a curveball, splitter and changeup. In a scouting report for Baseball America, Ben Badler notes that Gonzalez's curveball is his weakest pitch and that his splitter and changeup are just "a tick above average." Scouts who like Gonzalez rate him as about a No. 3 starter in the big leagues, Badler says, while others think he might be a back-of-the-rotation starter or low-leverage reliever.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:49 PM
The Couturier Effect

If that is accurate, they just spent a ton of money on a hit or miss pitcher...

Old
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
This report of him sounds pretty accurate. From mlbtraderumors website.
#3 starter is fine for that price, hell look at what they paid Blanton

Old
07-27-2013, 01:55 AM
flybynite77

I'd like to get a bidding war going for Cliff Lee.

Red Sox, Dodgers, Indians, Cards, possibly Pirates & Dbacks all interested.

The smaller market teams could be appeased by the Phillies eating some of the money... Hey if that $5billion tv deal is around the corner what's eating $5-10m a year to get some really good return for Cliff Lee?

Drive the bidding up as much as possible. The only competition out there is Jake Peavy who is injury prone and a FA at the end of the year.

I'd also look around for new homes for Michael Young(Red Sox or Yankees), Carlos Ruiz(Yankees or A's) and Chase Utley(A's or Dodgers).

Some of those guys could wind up dealt together including part of a Cliff Lee deal. I'd definitely move Papelbon, but I'm not sure there's going to be a taker.

As the Red Sox showed last year just because you have a huge TV deal doesn't mean you can't sell off high-priced guys and rebuild/retool on the fly.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:47 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
And Rube called the 42m for Puig "a huge risk". Hey, but at least we signed Cuba's best long relief pitcher!!

Old
07-27-2013, 08:42 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

There's a rumor that the phils have a handshake deal with Luis Encarnacion, 3b for 1.3M. He's 15 so they can't officially sign him until he turns 16 next month.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...ch-for-july-2/

Quote:
Luis Encarnacion, 3b, Dominican Republic (video): If Devers isnít the best offensive prospect in Latin America, that title might belong to Encarnacion, who trains with Juan Herrera, plays in the IPL and wonít be able to sign until he turns 16 on Aug. 9. Encarnacion is 6-foot-2, 185 pounds, hits in games consistently and already has plus power from the right side. While Encarnacion earns widespread praise for his offensive upside, scouts are even more sold on him having to change positions soon after signing, either to left field or first base. Sources say the Phillies have been enamored with Encarnacion and have emerged as his most likely destination.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
The same type of stuff was said about Puig. This is a great move.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
There's a rumor that the phils have a handshake deal with Luis Encarnacion, 3b for 1.3M. He's 15 so they can't officially sign him until he turns 16 next month.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...ch-for-july-2/
I like that it now looks like they are looking at more international players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
I like this move too. Mediocre pitchers around baseball get around the same AAV as what the Phillies paid here. I would have liked it if they spent this money on signing someone internationally that could hit.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Maikel Franco hit two more homers last night. Heís at .370/.389/.598 in 131 PA at double A. Just 11 strikeouts.
Source: Matt Gelb @magelb

Franco should be moving up to AAA soon it seems.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:15 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Oh don't get me wrong I love the move too. I was just saying that judging by that scouting report, the Phillies are making a big financial commitment for a guy who could turn out to be a career middle reliever. I'm optimistic that he'll be better than that though.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...cliff-lee.html

Quote:
The Phillies will listen to offers on starting pitcher Cliff Lee, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports. It doesn't sound like GM Ruben Amaro Jr. is in any rush to move Lee, however. "Although we don't have any desire to move a guy like that because we view him as someone who will be key to our future, I am a businessperson as well and I'll be a good listener," Amaro says. There's another Lee-related story line to watch as we approach the trade deadline -- as Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer notes (via Twitter), Lee has been scratched from his start on Saturday due to a stiff neck
I fully expect Chase/Lee/Young/Ruiz/Paps to be out of here by the end of the deadline(maybe not all, but a majority). I wonder what teams would be desperate for Lee. Boston/Texas/St Louis?

Boston you would think we would want their young outfielder coming back(Bradley I believe) The other teams, I don't know anything about their farm systems, as I have not followed baseball as much in recent years.

Also

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ael-young.html

Quote:
The Phillies and Rangers have had discussions about a trade shipping infielder Michael Young back to Texas, reports ESPN's Jayson Stark. We learned yesterday from CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman that the Rangers were considering Young internally. Talks have been "exploratory" in nature, says Stark, and the clubs are not close to an agreement.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...cliff-lee.html

I fully expect Chase/Lee/Young/Ruiz/Paps to be out of here by the end of the deadline(maybe not all, but a majority). I wonder what teams would be desperate for Lee. Boston/Texas/St Louis?

Boston you would think we would want their young outfielder coming back(Bradley I believe) The other teams, I don't know anything about their farm systems, as I have not followed baseball as much in recent years.

Also

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ael-young.html
coming into the year St. Louis had the best farm system according to Baseball America and the Red Sox were 6th. I think they could get a good return from the Dodgers for either Utley or Lee. Papelbon will be hard to trade.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...rankings-list/

Old
07-27-2013, 07:39 PM
The Couturier Effect

2nd inning, Phillies down 8-0.

I need beer.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:55 PM
jml87

Not even mad anymore. They are done.

They can still compete next year though by making the right decisions. Biddle and Franco are great. Gonzalez will be awesome behind Hamels. The market sucks this year so I think Lee would be a valuable piece. Send Young back to Texas, Pabelbon somewhere. I would keep Utley and trade Rollins. As sad as it is I'd be happy with only Hamels, Utley, and Howard (untradeable) left from the 2008 run next year. The biggest thing for me is trading Lee. He's the best piece they have. I love him and hate to do it, but they need some more young guys to kick start this team again.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:04 PM
FlyingPhilly

Man, stick a fork in the season already and fire RAJ. That is my only wish for this season, reading that RAJ got canned.

Closed Thread