Free Agent Frenzy - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Salem13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Only way they can sign players. They will stay mediocre and leave again within 15 years.
Climate change, the great green hope of the Jets.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:03 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Did ****ing Brenden Morrow sign yet? I can't use him in my SIM league unless he does!

Old
07-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

No chatter here about Joe Pavelski getting sal-capped like Lucic. I like Joe Pavelski a lot, but I'd MUCH rather have Lucic in my corner than he. Those are some mucho dollahs...

For all the people who want Chiarelli to sign his guys to "hometown discounts" can we count more than handful of those kinds of deals around the league? I think he pays market value - and I appreciate that he does so.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:56 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

No chatter here about Joe Pavelski getting sal-capped like Lucic. I like Joe Pavelski a lot, but I'd MUCH rather have Lucic in my corner than he. Those are some mucho dollahs...

For all the people who want Chiarelli to sign his guys to "hometown discounts" can we count more than handful of those kinds of deals around the league? I think he pays market value - and I appreciate that he does so.
I honestly don't think hometown discounts exist anymore. Bergeron did not take a hometown discount as some suggested, 6.5 is plenty for him. Bergeron doesn't score enough points to command 7+. Rask certainly didn't, neither will Lundqvist, because they will earn their money, i.e. paid market value.

I think the "discount" sometimes gets misconstrued. While some players may have gotten more elsewhere, I feel like these are overpayments rather than market value, and the player actually takes market value from his team because he likes it there. The gross overpayments required to pry a guy out of a good situation should not, in my opinion, make it seem like guys take "discounts" to stay where they are.

Take Horton for example. Let's say he wanted to be here, and Boston was in a bidding war with CBJ for him. CBJ would have to offer much more in the dollar department for him to leave. If that wasn't good enough, and he left money on the table to stay here, a lot of people would say he was taking a discount, when in my opinion he was simply staying with a good hockey situation, and Columbus just wasn't worth going to for more money.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking it haha.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:00 AM
EverettMike

You are crazy if you don't think Bergeron left money on the table.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:12 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
You are crazy if you don't think Bergeron left money on the table.
Agree to disagree I guess. I do think he would have gotten more on the open market, but that something around 7-7.5 would be an overpayment that would be necessary to pry him out of here, getting back to my original point about definition of a discount. You can also get one more year out of your hometown team now, driving the average down but resulting in a similar dollar amount. In his case 52 mil from another team would = 7.42 mil, something I see as too rich for him. Love Bergeron but I don't think he's worth that.

Anyway you obviously don't agree and that's fine. Just how I see it.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:18 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBruinsFan View Post
Agree to disagree I guess. I do think he would have gotten more on the open market, but that something around 7-7.5 would be an overpayment that would be necessary to pry him out of here, getting back to my original point about definition of a discount. You can also get one more year out of your hometown team now, driving the average down but resulting in a similar dollar amount. In his case 52 mil from another team would = 7.42 mil, something I see as too rich for him. Love Bergeron but I don't think he's worth that.

Anyway you obviously don't agree and that's fine. Just how I see it.
It doesn't matter what you think he is worth. The market determines that. If he hit the market next year his contract for 7 years would have been closer to 8 million than 7.

Look at what Horton and Clarkson just signed.

GMs would have been selling their children if it meant signing Bergeron.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:28 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
It doesn't matter what you think he is worth. The market determines that. If he hit the market next year his contract for 7 years would have been closer to 8 million than 7.

Yes I know that. That's what I would call an overpayment. I even used Horton as an example in my first post that he got too much money. Clarkson, one of the worst overpayments I've seen in a long time. This all gets back to my original point that I see a distinction between leaving some money on the table from a crazy GM of a bad team in favour of staying where you are where you have a better chance to win doesn't signify to me that you're taking a discount. You're staying there because you can win and in some cases get one more year out of a deal.

Anyway I shouldn't have said anything. It's a trivial thing in my own head that may or may not be accurate. I'm ecstatic to have Bergeron and I think he's paid fairly.

Old
07-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

$6.5 is fair hit for what he brings to the table today.

In five years, he'll still be in his early 30's and $6.5M is what Tyler Bozak will be making. Deal looks good today, but better and better as time goes on.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Fire Julien

Panthers sign Scott Carlos Gomez

He'll last about as long as Kovalev.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Panthers sign Scott Carlos Gomez

He'll last about as long as Kovalev.
Claude is upset.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=679459

Bouwmeester signs 5 year extension w/ Blues for 5.4m a year. Nice contract, 1.4m pay cut for JayBo while he's in his prime. Was a pretty horrible contract before, looks like he's putting it behind him. Good for both sides.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Fire Julien

Damn, that is cheap.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:43 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Damn, that is cheap.
Has the opportunity to be an absolute steal. Pretty low-risk seeing as anyone that sniffs top pair D minutes is getting 5 these days. Except Seidenberg.

Old
08-01-2013, 11:46 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I'd rather have Lucic as well, but that's a fair deal for Pavelski. He's worth every penny.

Old
08-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

It only looks cheap because of his previous ridiculous contract. I'd say it's pretty fair value for a really good #2 who is a workhorse.

I'd pay $5M for Seidenberg on a short term (1 or 2 years). He's a little older than Bouwmeester on a short term, but he's much better defensively. Doesn't score as many points, but the ones he does score are usually clutch.

Old
08-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBruinsFan View Post
Ridiculous money for Wheeler. Little overpaid as well. Jets are spending a lot of money on slightly above average talent and production.
Wheeler has more points then any current Bruin the last two seasons, and he just signed a 6 year deal that puts him on par with Krejci, and Bergeron's contracts.

If he's mediocre talent putting up mediocre production, then what are Boston's players and why is no one pissed Chiarelli is paying them similar or more money?

Old
08-02-2013, 11:37 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Wheeler has more points then any current Bruin the last two seasons, and he just signed a 6 year deal that puts him on par with Krejci, and Bergeron's contracts.

If he's mediocre talent putting up mediocre production, then what are Boston's players and why is no one pissed Chiarelli is paying them similar or more money?
Amennnnn.....

Old
08-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 300
Are we screwed when Marchand's contract is up? I think he's only a 2.5m cap hit right now if I'm not mistaken. Is he due for 4-4.5m next term?

Old
08-02-2013, 11:40 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
Are we screwed when Marchand's contract is up? I think he's only a 2.5m cap hit right now if I'm not mistaken. Is he due for 4-4.5m next term?
He's locked in 4 more years... He kinda sucked at times the last two play-offs as well...

Old
08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
He's locked in 4 more years... He kinda sucked at times the last two play-offs as well...
Oh I didn't realize he had 4 more years. He didn't do great the last 2 playoffs no, but remember back to 2011... And he was our leading scorer this year.

Old
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Did ****ing Brenden Morrow sign yet? I can't use him in my SIM league unless he does!
lol....hope you didn't give up much. Bet he gets a good cheap contract....and hopefully the ratings don't take a dive.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

1) Bruins fans are underestimating the current player Wheeler is.

2) So it is all about points? Really?

Old
08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
EverettMike

Also, saying "Wheeler's contract is on par with Krejci and Bergeron" is pretty good evidence he is overpaid.

Name one fanbase/team/GM that would take Wheeler over either of those guys. You want to use it so say, "If you think Wheeler's contract is bad, you need to also criticize Chiarelli."

How about using it to say, "Man, Chiarelli sure signed them to great deals if the Blake Wheelers of the world are getting that type of contract."

Old
08-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
1) Bruins fans are underestimating the current player Wheeler is.

2) So it is all about points? Really?
No, production was only 50% of the argument.

"Jets are spending a lot of money on slightly above average talent and production"

The first part you seem to have addressed in part 1 of your post. Wheeler is a solid player, and one of Winnipeg's best. As such, he got paid what seems to be fair market value for an RFA, let alone UFA. Wheeler could have gotten more or at the very least similar on the open market so the concept that the Jets are overpaying for slightly above average talent seems quite flawed... no?

Quote:
Also, saying "Wheeler's contract is on par with Krejci and Bergeron" is pretty good evidence he is overpaid.

Name one fanbase/team/GM that would take Wheeler over either of those guys. You want to use it so say, "If you think Wheeler's contract is bad, you need to also criticize Chiarelli."

How about using it to say, "Man, Chiarelli sure signed them to great deals if the Blake Wheelers of the world are getting that type of contract."
You could also say Wheeler got similar money to Horton, Iginla, and Lucic... not just Krejci or Bergeron. What it comes down to is this however, the Jets just paid their top tier player (who has similar "slightly above average production" as Boston's top tier players btw) similar to or less then what Boston pays their top tier players.... stoopid Jets?

Last edited by Kaoz*: 08-02-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Closed Thread