HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Personal draft grade 2012 reviewed.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:22 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai Akatsume Ryu View Post
Not a matter of needing, more like a matter of discussing
Yeah I was saying mine are as is.. Not like I'm obligated or a reference

The lettering system is made for not changing the grades every year I think.. There shouldn't be any need to review those, unless someone was really wrong with their initial assessment.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:55 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Here's what I ranked after the draft,

As of today,

Galchenyuk : 9.0 B
Collberg : 8 C
Thrower : 6.5 D
Bozon : 7 C
Vail : 6 C
Hudon : 8 D
Nystrom : 6 D
We have about the same ratings.. You are a bit higher than I am on Gally and Collberg, then we have the exact same ratings on Thrower Bozon and Vail, we differ a bit on Hudon (dont think he has first line potential) and Nystrom well I rated him cause I had to but I never saw him play so Ive no clue..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We have about the same ratings.. You are a bit higher than I am on Gally and Collberg, then we have the exact same ratings on Thrower Bozon and Vail, we differ a bit on Hudon (dont think he has first line potential) and Nystrom well I rated him cause I had to but I never saw him play so Ive no clue..
I am really high on Galchenyuk and I think i'm one of the bigger Collberg fans around here. I think Hudon has 1st line upside but lots of concerns about how his lack of size/strength will hamper him at the NHL level. He really impressed me in the AHL, even though it was a small sample size.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:45 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Here's what I ranked after the draft,

As of today,

Galchenyuk : 9.0 B
Collberg : 8 C
Thrower : 6.5 D
Bozon : 7 C
Vail : 6 C
Hudon : 8 D
Nystrom : 6 D
It definitely grows my confidence in Hudon if a guy like you can be that big of a fan of his game.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
It definitely grows my confidence in Hudon if a guy like you can be that big of a fan of his game.
I really like him, although I am very concerned about how his game will translate to the NHL. What impressed me, along with his high skill level is that he keeps his feet moving and is a very smart player as well.

For me I try not to put too much into junior league play, I try to catch every Hamilton game every year so that's when I end up getting a good read on our prospects. I'll have a much better feel for Hudon once he moves up to the AHL full time.

Old
07-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Habaddict

I don't get why people would have the same letter grade for Galchenyuk
as last summer. He cleared a lot of hurdles since then. He showed that
missing a year of junior didn't set him back. He showed that his knee was
strong enough to play a very long season. And he showed that he can play
against men at 18 and 19 years old. Surely the chances of him reaching
his potential must be better now, then last year.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Hudon is a stud. He was a real catalyst for the WJC team canada until he got injured. One of my favorites.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:25 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hudon is a stud. He was a real catalyst for the WJC team canada until he got injured. One of my favorites.
if he can make significant strides in his strength and/or skating then he has amazing potential. Not saying he's our best prospect but out of the ones I've seen, easily my favourite.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:31 PM
NewFound Oiler

vCash: 989
As an outsider looking in, what do habs fan expect from this draft? Like in a honest opinion where do you see this players toping out? 2nd liners? Top 2 top 4. The obvious one is Gally, he is going to be a stud

NewFound Oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:43 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy IceCapd View Post
As an outsider looking in, what do habs fan expect from this draft? Like in a honest opinion where do you see this players toping out? 2nd liners? Top 2 top 4. The obvious one is Gally, he is going to be a stud
I'm a pretty big optimist but I think they all have NHL potential. I've seen them all (some pretty limited) except for Nystrom but his production and camp reports are pretty encouraging.

Hudon to me has definite top 6/first line potential. If Bozon can get more speed/strength (like Hudon) then he has top 6 maybe not quite first line potential. Even if neither of them make 'significant' strides in those areas they should still make it and can have some modest impact.

Vail looked better than the puck than I thought he would in my limited viewing of him. Apparently conditioning is a bit of an issue but I think he could be at least a 4th liner. Has the size/skating/defensive acumen to make it happen. No more than a 3rd liner.

Thrower's a bit worrisome but hearing that he picked it up at the Memorial Cup (before suspension) was encouraging. If he can't pick it back up this season then he's probably done. Right now I don't think he could be seriously considered a top 4 candidate.

Only saw Collberg at the WJCs a few times but he wasn't that impressive until the 3rd period of the Gold Medal game where he was one of Sweden's best players. Seems to pour it on with the game on the line. Had a ridiculous backcheck on a Galchenyuk breakaway that was nothing short of heroic and a great showcase of his speed. More than a one trick pony. Definitely legit top 6/top 3.

These are all based on limited viewings (saw quite a bit of Hudon and Bozon) and highlights and reports but I'm sure they don't differ from the consensus too much.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:07 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
A lot of people seemingly don't understand the ratings correctly... it doesn't mean that Galchenyuk produced at 19, and that he's a 9B, for example (for me at least, I think that was my rating last year), that he will be an elite player. He might drop to 8, and become a 1st line player, which is still pretty good, in fact, better than anything we have right now. The elite potential is there, but it's still not a sure thing.

Anyway, I'll give a go again.

Galchenyuk 9 B
Collberg 8 C
Thrower 7 C
Bozon 7 C
Vail 6 B
Hudon 8 D
Nystrom 7 D

Last edited by L4br3cqu3: 07-26-2013 at 07:13 PM.
L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:08 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy IceCapd View Post
Since it's only been a year, it's still early so hard to say how this draft class will shake out. So far though it's looking good as several had impressive seasons.

Galchenyuk- There's no telling just how good he will end up. He has it all and if he learns how to put it together in the coming years he could end up being one of the top players in the NHL. It's going to be very interesting to see just how good he can be down the road. For now his upside is sky high as he has almost everything you would want in a hockey player.

Collberg- I can admit I like him more then most around here, I think his upside is very high as I like his skill level mixed with speed/skating/shot. If he's not a 1st line winger he stands a good shot at being a top 6 winger imo. Granted you never know how a prospect will adjust to the smaller ice and more physical game but in a few years I think he could be a very fun player to watch for the Habs.

Thrower- I also am likely higher on Thrower then most around here. I still don't have a great feel for him yet but if he turns pro I'll get to see him a ton. Personally I think that he has the intangibles that you want in a hockey player come playoff time, although I thought he really struggled in the playoffs this past season. That said he's physical and plays with an edge to his game that I think the Habs really need. If he can work on is defensive zone issues, I think he could end up a solid NHLer one day but we'll see how he responds to last seasons difficulties. I've seen several posters here say how terrible he was this past season but I don't agree as in the games I saw he usually showed something interesting along with concerns about his decision making with the puck in his own end. Hopefully someone in the organization can work with him to get him going as I think he has a solid mix of skill, grit and toughness.

Bozon- I like what I saw from him, although he's going to have to get stronger and more involved in the play imo. It's going to be very interesting to see how he adjusts to the AHL after next season as he's a bit of a sniper and he knows where to be on the ice to score but how well his game translates is a bigger question to me. If all goes well for him I do think he has top 6 upside but will need to round out the rest of his game and hopefully find a way to get his nose dirty more often.

Vail- I don't have as good of a read on Vail as I do the others, he seems to be a solid two way player but he will need to fill out a good bit and get stronger. I see his upside more as a top 9 forward.

Hudon- Big Hudon fan, just a fun player to watch as he knows how to make things happen in the offensive zone. I like that he's a hard working player although I do have major concerns about his lack of size/strength and injury woes. That said he really impressed me in Hamilton and I can't wait to see him there full time after next season. I think he actually has 1st line upside, as I think he's highly skilled and can be very dangerous but that's only if he can find a way to overcome his lack of physical abilities. Collberg and Hudon are 2 of the Habs prospects that I look forward to following the most.

Nystrom- I haven't seen much of him yet and not sure if he ever comes over or if he does where he upside would be so my guess is more of a bottom 6 winger.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:21 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Since it's only been a year, it's still early so hard to say how this draft class will shake out. So far though it's looking good as several had impressive seasons.

Galchenyuk- There's no telling just how good he will end up. He has it all and if he learns how to put it together in the coming years he could end up being one of the top players in the NHL. It's going to be very interesting to see just how good he can be down the road. For now his upside is sky high as he has almost everything you would want in a hockey player.

Collberg- I can admit I like him more then most around here, I think his upside is very high as I like his skill level mixed with speed/skating/shot. If he's not a 1st line winger he stands a good shot at being a top 6 winger imo. Granted you never know how a prospect will adjust to the smaller ice and more physical game but in a few years I think he could be a very fun player to watch for the Habs.

Thrower- I also am likely higher on Thrower then most around here. I still don't have a great feel for him yet but if he turns pro I'll get to see him a ton. Personally I think that he has the intangibles that you want in a hockey player come playoff time, although I thought he really struggled in the playoffs this past season. That said he's physical and plays with an edge to his game that I think the Habs really need. If he can work on is defensive zone issues, I think he could end up a solid NHLer one day but we'll see how he responds to last seasons difficulties. I've seen several posters here say how terrible he was this past season but I don't agree as in the games I saw he usually showed something interesting along with concerns about his decision making with the puck in his own end. Hopefully someone in the organization can work with him to get him going as I think he has a solid mix of skill, grit and toughness.

Bozon- I like what I saw from him, although he's going to have to get stronger and more involved in the play imo. It's going to be very interesting to see how he adjusts to the AHL after next season as he's a bit of a sniper and he knows where to be on the ice to score but how well his game translates is a bigger question to me. If all goes well for him I do think he has top 6 upside but will need to round out the rest of his game and hopefully find a way to get his nose dirty more often.

Vail- I don't have as good of a read on Vail as I do the others, he seems to be a solid two way player but he will need to fill out a good bit and get stronger. I see his upside more as a top 9 forward.

Hudon- Big Hudon fan, just a fun player to watch as he knows how to make things happen in the offensive zone. I like that he's a hard working player although I do have major concerns about his lack of size/strength and injury woes. That said he really impressed me in Hamilton and I can't wait to see him there full time after next season. I think he actually has 1st line upside, as I think he's highly skilled and can be very dangerous but that's only if he can find a way to overcome his lack of physical abilities. Collberg and Hudon are 2 of the Habs prospects that I look forward to following the most.

Nystrom- I haven't seen much of him yet and not sure if he ever comes over or if he does where he upside would be so my guess is more of a bottom 6 winger.
Love that your as high on Galchenyuk as I am. He has all the tools. I'm sure he'll be no less than 220 where he'll be an absolute beast. Couldn't believe how well his skill translated to the bigs so fast. Though first step quickness is really the only 'weakness' again, really surprised that it wasn't an issue at all in his rookie year.

Glad to hear you're big on Collberg. How much did you see of him last year?

Love that you're still optimistic about Thrower. His toolbox is something we could really use so hopefully he gets back on track.

I saw Bozon 3 or so times and even though he wasn't his greatest half the time, I think he has the goods. He was usually very implicated in the play and wouldn't shy away from any rough stuff, it was more his lack of strength not so much his willingness to get dirty. Very projectable frame and sounds committed could turn into a dandy.

Hudon is an absolute stud. I can't say it enough. It would be a huge huge shame that this kid doesn't make it because of size/speed/injuries. The good thing is he made Patches look like a 90 year old woman in the Wolverine department which is very encouraging. Really hope he can make big strides in the size & speed departments because he could be a phenomenal player.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Love that your as high on Galchenyuk as I am. He has all the tools. I'm sure he'll be no less than 220 where he'll be an absolute beast. Couldn't believe how well his skill translated to the bigs so fast. Though first step quickness is really the only 'weakness' again, really surprised that it wasn't an issue at all in his rookie year.

Glad to hear you're big on Collberg. How much did you see of him last year?

Love that you're still optimistic about Thrower. His toolbox is something we could really use so hopefully he gets back on track.

I saw Bozon 3 or so times and even though he wasn't his greatest half the time, I think he has the goods. He was usually very implicated in the play and wouldn't shy away from any rough stuff, it was more his lack of strength not so much his willingness to get dirty. Very projectable frame and sounds committed could turn into a dandy.

Hudon is an absolute stud. I can't say it enough. It would be a huge huge shame that this kid doesn't make it because of size/speed/injuries. The good thing is he made Patches look like a 90 year old woman in the Wolverine department which is very encouraging. Really hope he can make big strides in the size & speed departments because he could be a phenomenal player.
Collberg I didn't get to see that much, saw him in the WJC's and his 2 games in the AHL plus I would watch the game highlights. I will have a better feel for him once he's in North America full time.

Thrower I hope he does get back on track as I do think he's something we need more of. I must say from what i've seen and heard about the coaching for the blades, I do wonder what a new environment will do for him. I was dead set on him going back to the blades, at least now that won't be the case.