HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2013, 04:50 AM
  #351
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,855
vCash: 500
i dont think ive ever seen an offencive d-man like him, he generates all his offence from his wrist shot.. its so weird. he had a good season last year but hes kinda overrated imo, he does hit quite a bit but for some reason his hits seem invisible, he also has skating issues and is pretty mediocre defensively, still a work in progress i guess

definitely not your typical offencive d-man

TT1 is online now  
Old
07-27-2013, 05:22 AM
  #352
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.
I hear Franson is asking for 6 million per. Nonis is not to blame the owners are.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 05:44 AM
  #353
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I love the report that Franson may be on the move. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but I was pretty sure Franson was a lock to be a Leaf again next season. If I'm a Leaf fan, I take that comment as a compliment.
I just think you're getting a little too excited over a dreger report in July. Kadri isn't signed either, does that mean he'll be traded too?

Quote:
What's the big deal with me thinking the Clarkson signing will hurt the Leafs in the long run? I do, and so do many others.
you said you "called it", which is obviously laughable since basically everyone is of the same mind on it.

and really, as much as I don't like the contract because I don't think Clarkson can earn it....with a cap that will most likely rise again next season and beyond it's not going to hurt them that much in the bigger picture. If he needs to be gone at some point they'll buy him out like they did Grabo. the Leafs are not short on cash.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 06:57 AM
  #354
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,487
vCash: 50
It's a bit strange that Franson didn't choose arbitration since he was the Leafs player with most to win from it and most to lose from not choosing it.

For all the talk about Leafs having all the leverage here. I'm not sure they want to go to war and keep a young guy from playing in the league simply because they ran out of cap space after a spending spree. Sends terrible signals to players around the league. If they don't find a way to re-sign him, they have to trade him even if the return isn't what they want.

Freudian is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 06:58 AM
  #355
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald
 
Mojo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
If this is the case, would rather have kept Franson and not signed Clarkson to a whale contract.

Mojo19 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 07:18 AM
  #356
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
If this is the case, would rather have kept Franson and not signed Clarkson to a whale contract.
Franson was a 3rd pairing D man last season who was a PP specialist. He had a nice season, but you want to overpay him, and keep him over a top 6 fwd that has scored more goals on NJ the last 2 seasons to only Kovy?

Interactif is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 07:20 AM
  #357
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's a bit strange that Franson didn't choose arbitration since he was the Leafs player with most to win from it and most to lose from not choosing it.

For all the talk about Leafs having all the leverage here. I'm not sure they want to go to war and keep a young guy from playing in the league simply because they ran out of cap space after a spending spree. Sends terrible signals to players around the league. If they don't find a way to re-sign him, they have to trade him even if the return isn't what they want.
How does it send terrible signals around the league? I also dont really believe in terrible signals. Players care about money, not how someone else was treated. Clarkson came here despite the fact we had almost 10m in cap space sitting in the AHL last season. Thats a far worse signal then an RFA dispute.

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 07:24 AM
  #358
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's a bit strange that Franson didn't choose arbitration since he was the Leafs player with most to win from it and most to lose from not choosing it.

For all the talk about Leafs having all the leverage here. I'm not sure they want to go to war and keep a young guy from playing in the league simply because they ran out of cap space after a spending spree. Sends terrible signals to players around the league. If they don't find a way to re-sign him, they have to trade him even if the return isn't what they want.
Because we've all seen that this affects teams from signing players. People said the same thing about burying contracts and how no free agents would ever sign there. Players look out for #1 and will go where the money is. In fact, if he gets a reputation of a player that his hard to sign, teams might not bother. He's not an elite player.

The Leafs do have all the leverage. He's not critical to the teams success and no one is going to offer him an offer sheet worth signing. He can sit at home and rot for all I care. In fact, if the Leafs do give in and trade him for less, then that might set a precedent that players can get their way by holding out. I think he didn't file for arbitration because he feared the Leafs would walk away from the number and while he is solid, he might not get a better number half way through the summer from someone else. For payers of his ilk, the Best way to get a good number is from the team you just played with as they are comfortable in what you have to offer playing in their system with their players.

shakes is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 07:26 AM
  #359
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I just think you're getting a little too excited over a dreger report in July. Kadri isn't signed either, does that mean he'll be traded too?



you said you "called it", which is obviously laughable since basically everyone is of the same mind on it.

and really, as much as I don't like the contract because I don't think Clarkson can earn it....with a cap that will most likely rise again next season and beyond it's not going to hurt them that much in the bigger picture. If he needs to be gone at some point they'll buy him out like they did Grabo. the Leafs are not short on cash.
Dustin Brown has scored 40 goals his last 2 seasons, paid 5.85M per now. 28 years old.

Milan Lucic has scored 33 goals his last 2 seasons, paid 6M per now. 25 years old.

David Clarkson has scored 45 goals in his last 2 seasons, paid 5.25M per and is 29 years old

Now Clarkson isn't as good a player as Brown, but Brown doesn't have David's fighting acumen. But both are similar as being tough to play against, hitting, and net presence.

All 3 players are great teammates, and leaders.

If Clarkson can score 20 goals next season, and provide the physical game he is capable of. 5.25 in comparison to Lucic's 6M and Brown's 5.85 is not a bad contract, especially considering he has scored more goals than both players have the past 2 seasons based on recency of play.

Interactif is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 08:19 AM
  #360
Reikai
Neutral fan
 
Reikai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
I think some of the Leafs fans here overrate the guy. To me he has always been the kind of D who will get exploited if playing on the top 4 consistently. Right now last season makes him look better than he is IMO. Depends what he's asking but i dont think Nonis is ****ing things up just yet.

But then again im not an expert on the Leafs so i might be wrong.

Reikai is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 08:30 AM
  #361
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I just think you're getting a little too excited over a dreger report in July. Kadri isn't signed either, does that mean he'll be traded too?
First he said Gardiner and Franson were a terrible defensive tandem, now Franson is supposed to be a "stud"

No point in getting worked up over potentially losing Franson either. He's been a #5 d-man who specializes on the PP, totally replaceable. He could be useful to a team who needs help in that regard but the fortunately for the Leafs they have Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles, and Rielly (should he make the cut) who can fill the void he leaves behind. The Leafs are in an envious position here.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 08:35 AM
  #362
harrisb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
His contract comparable on the team will be Gunnar which is why he'll want 4m ish. Nonis did this to himself and is going to lose a player or two due to the spending spree. The argument that the leafs have tons of money and will bury players in the minors won't fly with the new cba. For example, burying clarkson will still hit the cap for 4.2m and you still need to replace him. If a player on a long expensive contract regresses to the point where they can be replaced by a 1m player the team is in trouble...

harrisb is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:02 AM
  #363
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright
 
Maplelaughs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyHF View Post
I think some of the Leafs fans here overrate the guy. To me he has always been the kind of D who will get exploited if playing on the top 4 consistently. Right now last season makes him look better than he is IMO. Depends what he's asking but i dont think Nonis is ****ing things up just yet.

But then again im not an expert on the Leafs so i might be wrong.
You need more viewings. While i kinda agree he may be getting overated due to the top ten dman scoring acumen but the guys physical game has come miles and miles from his Nashville days. Provides great outlet passes and is a decent puckmover (abliet slightly below avg mobility) and a very active reach/stick that helps cover up the odd ill advised pinch. That age, size, offensive ablility and physicality is a pretty attractive package and i see him playing top 4 somewhere, very likely Toronto. The Leafs are also deperate for a right hand d (Holzer, Granberg and Blacker are the only alternatives currently though i believe Ranger can play the right side) as he is currently the only one slated to start the year with the big club in a definitive way. Carlyle likes to play guys on their strong side so having such a dearth of potential rightys is pretty contrary to his ideal style unless a trade is in the works. This talk of 6 million is silly. He's gonna get alot closer to 3 than 6. As a ufa maybe it's possible but not as a rfa, the Leafs hold nearly all the cards. Now he could be dealt for the right fit/offer but the assets to pry him loose would likely have to be significant. With so many teams tight at the cap his options for an offer sheet to force their hand is also somewhat muted..He is a pretty phenomenal special teams player though.


Last edited by Maplelaughs97: 07-27-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Maplelaughs97 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
  #364
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright
 
Maplelaughs97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisb View Post
His contract comparable on the team will be Gunnar which is why he'll want 4m ish. Nonis did this to himself and is going to lose a player or two due to the spending spree. The argument that the leafs have tons of money and will bury players in the minors won't fly with the new cba. For example, burying clarkson will still hit the cap for 4.2m and you still need to replace him. If a player on a long expensive contract regresses to the point where they can be replaced by a 1m player the team is in trouble...
They can't bury expenisive players anymore but can bury anyone making 900 000 or under without cap implications (ie Holzer,Brennan,Lewis,Marshall) which creates some wiggle room in the neighborhood of 1.8 (likely keep one or two of these players in the show).

Maplelaughs97 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:20 AM
  #365
Billy6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
I find it amazing that a guy has one good year and people are ready to write him a blank cheque and are calling Nonis an idiot for not giving him whatever he wants. As far as the comparisons to the Clarkson and Bozak contracts the difference is that they were unrestricted as opposed to restricted free agents. You have a lot more leverage with a restricted free agent and can therefore play hardball a lot more.

Franson had a good year, but I also remember the year before when he was a frequent healthy scratch and when I barely batted an eye when he threatened to stay in Sweden after the lockout.

This is a classic case of a player trying to exploit one decent year into a home run contract. He doesn't deserve it at this point. Sign a two year deal and do this two more times and then we'll open the wallet. Until then realize that Franson is not an elite defenceman and is not deserving of what he is asking for.

Billy6 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:23 AM
  #366
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
First he said Gardiner and Franson were a terrible defensive tandem, now Franson is supposed to be a "stud"

No point in getting worked up over potentially losing Franson either. He's been a #5 d-man who specializes on the PP, totally replaceable. He could be useful to a team who needs help in that regard but the fortunately for the Leafs they have Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles, and Rielly (should he make the cut) who can fill the void he leaves behind. The Leafs are in an envious position here.
Gardiner, Franson, and Grabo were all within 10 ft of Bergeron when he scored the OT goal that ended the Leafs season.

Ellotte Friedman of CBC said something interesting to the point of he would be not surprised if any of those players are not back with the Leafs in the near future.

1 player is gone, 2 more to go?

Interactif is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:27 AM
  #367
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
They have a lot of cap space for next year, but only 10 roster plays signed.

This year if Kadri/Franson get $6M, it's very tight for injuries and callups.
Frankly, I would be far more concerned with Ottawa's ability to maintain its nucleus moving forward if I were you, especially with an internally imposed budget that is well below the salary cap.

Don't worry about Toronto's ability to re-sign its young core within the confines of the salary cap. We'll be fine.

Clark4Ever is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:30 AM
  #368
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Dustin Brown has scored 40 goals his last 2 seasons, paid 5.85M per now. 28 years old.

Milan Lucic has scored 33 goals his last 2 seasons, paid 6M per now. 25 years old.

David Clarkson has scored 45 goals in his last 2 seasons, paid 5.25M per and is 29 years old

Now Clarkson isn't as good a player as Brown, but Brown doesn't have David's fighting acumen. But both are similar as being tough to play against, hitting, and net presence.

All 3 players are great teammates, and leaders.

If Clarkson can score 20 goals next season, and provide the physical game he is capable of. 5.25 in comparison to Lucic's 6M and Brown's 5.85 is not a bad contract, especially considering he has scored more goals than both players have the past 2 seasons based on recency of play.
Bang on.

Clark4Ever is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
  #369
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Gardiner, Franson, and Grabo were all within 10 ft of Bergeron when he scored the OT goal that ended the Leafs season.

Ellotte Friedman of CBC said something interesting to the point of he would be not surprised if any of those players are not back with the Leafs in the near future.

1 player is gone, 2 more to go?
Well....by this logic, I guess Boston is going to deal Rask and Chara after giving up to goals in 80 seconds to lose the cup.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:41 AM
  #370
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,756
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
i dont think ive ever seen an offencive d-man like him, he generates all his offence from his wrist shot.. its so weird. he had a good season last year but hes kinda overrated imo, he does hit quite a bit but for some reason his hits seem invisible, he also has skating issues and is pretty mediocre defensively, still a work in progress i guess

definitely not your typical offencive d-man
More and more d-men are doing this. Justin Schultz does the same. Lit up the AHL with the wrist shot and had some success in the NHL as well with it.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
  #371
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Away from Cor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I hear Franson is asking for 6 million per. Nonis is not to blame the owners are.
lmao where did you hear that

VoicexOfxReason is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
  #372
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Easy now...5th round pick at best
Right so, and an RFA, if he gets signed to an offer sheet between 3.1-4.5 falls into the compensation of a 1st and a 3rd, which is what he is looking for, yet you say he is worth only a 5th?


Last edited by Nuckles: 07-27-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: removed flaming
New Liskeard is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:43 AM
  #373
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Bang on.
Nathan Horton got a 5.3M per for 7 year contract.

Not a bad player if he can stay healthy, but given his concussion problems some seem to be worried about Clarkson's contract?

BTW Clarkson has scored more goals than Horton also in the last 2 years(even including Horton's 26 goal season)

Interactif is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:43 AM
  #374
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
lmao where did you hear that
Yea, would love to learn his source.

legendinblue is offline  
Old
07-27-2013, 09:52 AM
  #375
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
As a Sens fan, I love this.

I called the Clarkson contract would hurt the Leafs in the long run, but even I didn't think it would come so soon. Franson is going to be a stud.
Nothing like a good ole hypocrite. You do know that Clarkson nearly signed with Ottawa for the same money and term (Edmonton out bid the other teams) and no doubt you would have been happy to have him. Yet, because your ego is crushed and he didn't sign with the Sens and the hated Leafs its a bad contract? Hilarious.

New Liskeard is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.