HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade Philippe Lefebvre and a 7th to Florida for George Parros

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I'm sorry, where is this proof ?
In his head.

Enforcers don't prevent hockey from happening. Players will get hurt. What they do (especially prior the stupid instigator rule), is they make players accountable for taking liberties. Some will do it anyway, others won't. Proving what doesn't happen is practically impossible unless one has played the game at a level where fighting was present. Then they know.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I'm sure Parros will want to impress the Hab fans with a fight as soon as possible. Not sure Orr will want to go knowing, Parros will be pumped up to prove his enforcing ability for his new team.
I'm sure Parros will do his job but I have a feeling many have a skewed perception of his job description.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm sure Parros will do his job but I have a feeling many have a skewed perception of his job description.
Pretty much. And I sincerely doubt Orr gives two ****s about what Parros is feeling or had for breakfast that day.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:13 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 499
Wow that was quick! I just saw on canadiens.com that there is already a Parros shirt

Old
07-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Wow that was quick! I just saw on canadiens.com that there is already a Parros shirt
Just like many were downplaying the Prust signing last summer, Parros will soon become a fan favourite in Montreal. Guys who go to war for their teammates are often amongst the most popular with them and with the fans.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:38 AM
PsychoticHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Just like many were downplaying the Prust signing last summer, Parros will soon become a fan favourite in Montreal. Guys who go to war for their teammates are often amongst the most popular with them and with the fans.
"Everybody loves the soldiers until they come home and stop fighting."

Let's just hope Parros doesn't go the way of BGL. Either way, I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the ice in the games he plays.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Prust is no heavyweight and he did more for this team than Laraque ever did, we needed another one of him.
Correction: Prust has done TOO MUCH for this team. He's a much useful player than a everyday fighter. Parros will comes in and take care of some of those for him, Prust plays more hockey, win-win situation.

Yes, we will always need more of those guys that can play hockey and drop them. I guess they are working on it with their McCarron and Crisp drafting. Have to believe that they will look for those types of players in trades and UFA in the future as well.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
"Everybody loves the soldiers until they come home and stop fighting."

Let's just hope Parros doesn't go the way of BGL. Either way, I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the ice in the games he plays.
Agreed. See Travis Moen as an example.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:38 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Hold on here... let's clarify something:
  1. YOU are wanting to get rid of fighting because it's a risk for concussions, therefore leading to possible suicides (YOU named the enforcers, not us)
  2. WE are saying that there are more concussions in hockey due to bodychecks than there are due to fights. WE are suggesting that if YOUR intentions are truthful, perhaps you should be targeting hitting instead?

Basically, your argument is moot, really, due to the fact that you're barking at the wrong tree. If concussions and mental illnesses are the issues, target the major factor(s).
Especially since there are more concussions from incidental contact than for any other reason. Often, the head isn't the principle point of contact and it still results in a concussion, usually a whiplash type effect or the players head making direct contact with the ice. One could argue that hitting is only a side-product of the actual game itself as well, the women don't have hitting, not that I'm advocating a hitting ban, but you get my point. I'm all for player safety and doing what we can to limit concussions, but the numbers resulting from fights is only a small percentage, there are far more pressing concerns with regards to player safety. Fighting is near the bottom of the list.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:45 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
sigh...once again, please provide evidence that elimination of fighting results in more stick swinging. You will be hard-pressed to find any correlation between the 2. You may love fighting because you don't have to do it.
Ask our team captain if there was more stickwork in the league without fighting. I'm sure you'll be disappointed with his answer. He has already spoken about this, I'm sure you know more than a guy who has played in both environments.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:55 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Ask our team captain if there was more stickwork in the league without fighting. I'm sure you'll be disappointed with his answer. He has already spoken about this, I'm sure you know more than a guy who has played in both environments.
What did he say???

Old
07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
What did he say???
He said that stickwork was much more prevalent when he played for Boston College. The interview was given around the time the players were polled on whether or not fighting had a role in hockey and 99.9% of them said it did and should have its place.

It's only ever non hockey people who want to rid the game of fighting. Politicians, environmentalists, the save the planet types.

Fighting isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Last edited by habsfanatics: 07-28-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old
07-28-2013, 12:04 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
exactly alot of the babies on here where irate that we signed prust and now he is a fan favorite, worth every penny

Old
07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
exactly alot of the babies on here where irate that we signed prust and now he is a fan favorite, worth every penny
Who was irate that we signed prust?

Old
07-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I'd like to know why it would though. There is fighting and you still have the same rats that do use their sticks as they are not afraid to having to mix it up as goons can't attack frail dirty players. I mean, Brière was known as pretty dirty....who fought him? Did it stop him from using his sticks, the fact that fighting is allowed? I also don't get this. There are more incidents because the league don't mind them. If a stickwork would be punishable and suspendable way more than they are now, you'd see a reduction. Yes, incidents will always occur, it is a tough sport after all.

Personnally, until it happens, I don't mind a good fighting. But I'm TOTALLY agreeing with banning fights for 2 reasons:

1 - It will stop those STUPID DUMB "retaliations" everytime there's a hard but clean check but yet, the team at the worst end of it, are too baby to take their their players got it hard, and somebody from that team dropped the gloves to fight the guy that just hit. That's childish, stupid and uncalled for. You mean retaliation for a good hit? Take the number down, and LEGALLY hit the guy that just did to your player later in the game. Dropping the gloves after a legal hit as to be one of the dumbest thing that is happening in hockey now.

2- Then, and it's somewhat in relation with this, it will stop "goon" teams from asking to man up and ask guys that plays tough but can't fight to fight. Fighting is an art. Anybody who says otherwise is incredibly stupid. Now....should guys like Subban and Emelin stop hitting hard 'cause they can't "man up"??? Absolutely not. Stop the fighting, and those guys will stop "having" to fight but still use their one of their greatest trait which is too hit hard. I'm done with "if you can't fight, well stop playing hard" stupid BS. Hitting is an art, but so is fighting. And not being able to fight shouldn't stop you from hitting. "Manning up" for me isn't fighting a guy that can't fight. It's being able to be at the receiving end of a legal hit. And mostly, the player that was hit was at fault too for not recognizing who's on the ice, heads down and everything. The game should be about hard bodychecks. I'm done with fighting.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-28-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old
07-28-2013, 12:06 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
environmentalists obv

Old
07-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
He said that stickwork was much more prevalent when he played for Boston College. The interview was given around the time the players were polled on whether or not fighting had a roll in hockey and 99.9% of them said it did and should have its place.

It's only ever non hockey people who want to rid the game of fighting. Politicians, environmentalists, the save the planet types.

Fighting isn't going anywhere any time soon.
Fighting should be banned because its freaking dumb. "Hey you hit my teammate, okay I'm gonna punch you in the face now and hopefully KO you"..yup, such a necessity. It's barbaric and dumb.
Now, the only way they can remove fighting is by stepping up their suspensions. Enough of the double standards, enough of trying to subjectively read if there was malicious intent behind it. You have to make it clear to the players that if they do certain things, they will harshly be punished for them.
Until then I don't think they can remove fighting.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Go back and read those threads. Several were against it.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:37 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
What did he say???
Essentially the exact same thing that 99% of all players past and present.

The game on the ice is based largely on trust. I'm small and slow but if I really wanted to injure you, chances are I could, and the stripes are not much of a detterrant. Having to answer the bell right there is one of the things that at least gives me pause. Anyone who thinks the prospect of having to answer for careless or malicious stick work does not work should watch more hockey.

Last edited by sandysan: 07-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Go back and read those threads. Several were against it.
I fondly remember the threads how there was no way he was worth 10 million, that what he brought we didn't need. His contract is not yet up but so far that 10 million was worth every dime. Getting starchy is not a prust replacement, what it does is give Prust some discretion. All last year when a message had to be sent or a bell had to be answered it was Prust, even if he had to throw out of his weight class.

I think Parros will be a fan favorite, a good teammate so long as he plays to his strengths. I'm not sure re will be in the lineup every night but certainly more than half of them. I'm looking forward to see how this all plays out.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Fighting should be banned because its freaking dumb. "Hey you hit my teammate, okay I'm gonna punch you in the face now and hopefully KO you"..yup, such a necessity. It's barbaric and dumb.
Now, the only way they can remove fighting is by stepping up their suspensions. Enough of the double standards, enough of trying to subjectively read if there was malicious intent behind it. You have to make it clear to the players that if they do certain things, they will harshly be punished for them.
Dumb in your opinion, which isn't worth much tbh when 99% of players believe in it. I personally don't find them dumb, along with many other fans. I prefer to
Keep it, in order to remove something from the game that has been part of the game since it begun you need to show something which would prove it makes the game better. You won't or can't do that, because it wouldn't.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:54 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think they're trying to remove fighting. It's not a priority at all.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
environmentalists obv
It was a joke obv.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
It was a joke obv.
hilarious.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:11 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd like to know why it would though. There is fighting and you still have the same rats that do use their sticks as they are not afraid to having to mix it up as goons can't attack frail dirty players. I mean, Brière was known as pretty dirty....who fought him? Did it stop him from using his sticks, the fact that fighting is allowed? I also don't get this. There are more incidents because the league don't mind them. If a stickwork would be punishable and suspendable way more than they are now, you'd see a reduction. Yes, incidents will always occur, it is a tough sport after all.

Personnally, until it happens, I don't mind a good fighting. But I'm TOTALLY agreeing with banning fights for 2 reasons:

1 - It will stop those STUPID DUMB "retaliations" everytime there's a hard but clean check but yet, the team at the worst end of it, are too baby to take their their players got it hard, and somebody from that team dropped the gloves to fight the guy that just hit. That's childish, stupid and uncalled for. You mean retaliation for a good hit? Take the number down, and LEGALLY hit the guy that just did to your player later in the game. Dropping the gloves after a legal hit as to be one of the dumbest thing that is happening in hockey now.

2- Then, and it's somewhat in relation with this, it will stop "goon" teams from asking to man up and ask guys that plays tough but can't fight to fight. Fighting is an art. Anybody who says otherwise is incredibly stupid. Now....should guys like Subban and Emelin stop hitting hard 'cause they can't "man up"??? Absolutely not. Stop the fighting, and those guys will stop "having" to fight but still use their one of their greatest trait which is too hit hard. I'm done with "if you can't fight, well stop playing hard" stupid BS. Hitting is an art, but so is fighting. And not being able to fight shouldn't stop you from hitting. "Manning up" for me isn't fighting a guy that can't fight. It's being able to be at the receiving end of a legal hit. And mostly, the player that was hit was at fault too for not recognizing who's on the ice, heads down and everything. The game should be about hard bodychecks. I'm done with fighting.
Stop the fighting and the players will still retaliate for stars getting jumped ect, it just won't be with their fists. It's a contact sport full of high emotions with 10 skaters flying around with potential weapons. Two guys settling the score face-to-face is better than whacking someone or dropping them from behind.

If Moore had of manned up answered the bell, he would have never had his career ended or neck
Broken, I'm not blaming him, but it's the reality of the situation. Remove fighting and players will still intimidate and attack other players. I don't even mind the staged-fights tbh. It has no negative impact on me whatsoever and every now again they're even exciting. Depending on the situation they're even warranted at times IMO, I'm okay with that.

Hockey is not like any other sport where you can run out of bounds or the play is blown every few seconds and none of the players in other sports are running around with a weapon in their hand. You can't depend on the refs as a deterrent, they get as many calls wrong as they do right. There needs to be element of respect out there, we have gotten away from it as the enforcer role diminishes and the instigator has allowed the rats to run around. The players need to police themselves, I firmly
Believe that. I don't George Parros will help much
Tho, I agree with laraque, there needs to
Be an element of fear there and no1 is afraid of George IMO.

iPhone

Closed Thread