HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
uocooco

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I took this class 3 semesters ago and it was the easiest class I've ever taken. My cousin took it last semester and he said the same. It's basically sec 4 science... not hard at all. Guaranteed A+.
Thanks, I'll definitely take it.

uocooco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:52 PM
guest1467

You guys are funny.

What ever happened to taking the classes you were most interested in and busting your ass off to get a good GPA?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You guys are funny.

What ever happened to taking the classes you were most interested in and busting your ass off to get a good GPA?
Pretty much how I feel about the comments here.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
You guys are funny.

I take my electives based on what I like so I agree with you but at same time people can do whatever they wish. Having easier classes allows people to put more focus on classes they have a strong interest in or have a job that might advance their career further.

Maybe they just don't care? Either way, I don't see why people NEED to bust their ass. If you can do without(in a non-****** way) then sure.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
You guys are funny.

You must be a little out of touch. Some of these classes are absolute garbage value-wise. You never take these classes because they interest you. You do because you know you'll get good grades. If it checks both on your list, then good for you.

If I'm actually interested in a subject/field, I'll take time of my own to do so with the resources of my liking at my own pace.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirin View Post
What is easier, engr 213 or engr 233 ... Have to take one of these.. Really hate math
You don't need to take both?

Back when they were called EMAT 213 and 233, which admittedly was about 8 years ago, you had to take both (213 in first semester and 233 in second). 233 was easier though.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Back when they were called EMAT 213 and 233, which admittedly was about 8 years ago, you had to take both (213 in first semester and 233 in second). 233 was easier though.
I'm a third year mech student, and its still the same. 213 first then 233. But I found 213 to be much easier than 233 FWIW.

EDIT:
Is it possible to take one of these courses as an elective from another program? If so then that may explain his question.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I assume he's not in engineering. I believe comp sci has to choose 1 of the 2.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
I'm a third year mech student, and its still the same. 213 first then 233. But I found 213 to be much easier than 233 FWIW.
213 is easier but I had a really moronic teacher for 233. I had cross product on my final. dot product on my midterm. He didn't teacher half the course. Not joking. I repeated the class for a better grade and I believe there was 70 ish students and 46 A+

Old
07-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Thorn

I found 233 easier since I took Cal 3 in Cegep and it was essentially the same stuff.

Does Dargahi still teach? I pity the students that get stuck with him.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
213 is easier but I had a really moronic teacher for 233. I had cross product on my final. dot product on my midterm. He didn't teacher half the course. Not joking. I repeated the class for a better grade and I believe there was 70 ish students and 46 A+
Lol! I had Davis for 233
Quote:
I found 233 easier since I took Cal 3 in Cegep and it was essentially the same stuff.

Does Dargahi still teach? I pity the students that get stuck with him.
Yep, I had him last winter for theory of machines, it was....interesting.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:43 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
You must be a little out of touch. Some of these classes are absolute garbage value-wise. You never take these classes because they interest you. You do because you know you'll get good grades. If it checks both on your list, then good for you.

If I'm actually interested in a subject/field, I'll take time of my own to do so with the resources of my liking at my own pace.
That was my point?

It doesn't make sense to me to waste time, money and effort doing completely pointless classes. You have a whole university at your disposal, why not take advantage of it while you can?

Good grades come from effort and time management. It doesn't matter what classes you take.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:44 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I take my electives based on what I like so I agree with you but at same time people can do whatever they wish. Having easier classes allows people to put more focus on classes they have a strong interest in or have a job that might advance their career further.

Maybe they just don't care? Either way, I don't see why people NEED to bust their ass. If you can do without(in a non-****** way) then sure.
If they don't care, they don't care I guess.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
DAChampion

A lot of compulsory classes are garbage. I remember it being an issue in my year of engineering.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Forsead

Hey guys trying to get some opinions here : I will start my last year in civil engineering (going for the structural engineering speciality) and I'm wondering if I should do a master degree. I'm interested, but with the actual market I don't know if I shouldn't take a job, because it seems that alot of peoples are starting to have a hard time getting jobs. If yes, which universities you recommends ? If there's peoples that know the construction business help me please !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Maelpj*

Gonna start cegep in a month at Edouard Mont Petit.

The program I'm in is 300.22, Sciences humaines: Administration (with maths)

I have 7 different class. Anyone has an idea how many hours a week I'm gonna be in class?

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post

I have 7 different class. Anyone has an idea how many hours a week I'm gonna be in class?
You didn't make your schedule yet? I would say a bit less than the hrs/week of high school.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post

Probably between 21 & 25.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Probably between 21 & 25.
This is about as many as in high school, except that there is a greater schedule spread, depending on the actual schedule chosen... I mean, there is no high school class (at least not a regular one) that would be over at 5:30 PM.

And university, too, can have such schedule stretch even though you may only have 15-18 class hours to attend in a week (for undergrad; graduate school is another can of worms).

Mathradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:07 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
And university, too, can have such schedule stretch even though you may only have 15-18 class hours to attend in a week (for undergrad; graduate school is another can of worms).
I am usually in class only about 10 hours a week.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

I still have not made my decision regarding university, and I start it this fall.

The problem is that I want to go in health sciences, but I did not take one of the two biology classes that are required at CÉGEP because initially I wanted to go in engineering. I thought of doing biomed engineering at Polytechnique, but well, not ready to live on my own. So now I don't really know what do to because I'd like to try to get into medicine or pharmacy in a few (1 to 3) years if possible.

I thought of doing either chemistry engineering or any other kind of engineering at ULaval and adding this bio class I'm missing to my schedule, but I'm wondering if that would be just too much workload. :\

Also, anyone knows what grades I should need at university in such a program (engineering) to get into medicine when my Cote R "only" is 32.2 (blame myself for never studying in the first three semesters at CÉGEP ) ?

Thanks.

07-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
I am usually in class only about 10 hours a week.
Even with 10 hours a week in class, there is no denying that weekly university schedules can be irregular (vs. a high school schedule)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
I still have not made my decision regarding university, and I start it this fall.

The problem is that I want to go in health sciences, but I did not take one of the two biology classes that are required at CÉGEP because initially I wanted to go in engineering. I thought of doing biomed engineering at Polytechnique, but well, not ready to live on my own. So now I don't really know what do to because I'd like to try to get into medicine or pharmacy in a few (1 to 3) years if possible.

I thought of doing either chemistry engineering or any other kind of engineering at ULaval and adding this bio class I'm missing to my schedule, but I'm wondering if that would be just too much workload. :\

Also, anyone knows what grades I should need at university in such a program (engineering) to get into medicine when my Cote R "only" is 32.2 (blame myself for never studying in the first three semesters at CÉGEP ) ?

Thanks.
Depends on the med school. If you think attending McGill for med school is for you, you'd better get a high MCAT score (33Q and better) on top of 3.8+... but the other three med schools in Quebec do not even accept MCAT scores. After the 50th credit in university, R-scores from CEGEP are no longer considered.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Even with 10 hours a week in class, there is no denying that weekly university schedules can be irregular (vs. a high school schedule)...

Depends on the med school. If you think attending McGill for med school is for you, you'd better get a high MCAT score (33Q and better) on top of 3.8+... but the other three med schools in Quebec do not even accept MCAT scores. After the 50th credit in university, R-scores from CEGEP are no longer considered.
I don't really know how MCAT works to be honest.

Obviously my first choice for med school would be ULaval. Just to put numbers on these, what grades should I need at university for the 3 others med schools than besides McGill ? 85%? 90%? Or does it depend on the program I'm in ?

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:26 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:

Obviously my first choice for med school would be ULaval. Just to put numbers on these, what grades should I need at university for the 3 others med schools than besides McGill ? 85%? 90%? Or does it depend on the program I'm in ?
For Mcgill, its really hard to say. Out of Cegep, I applied to the pre-med program at McGill with a r-score between 35-36 and I got refused, without an interview. Now I'm in engineering and I plan on applying to a lot of schools, not just McGill, and for that you need the MCAT.
It's basically a 5 hour test that covers everything you learned in cegep: Bio, physics and chem.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

To be honest, I think MCAT is perhaps more of a hassle than a boon, if Laval is your dream med school, and I think no one at Laval will tell you, anything about the MCAT. Plus, if you elect to take the MCAT anyway, pay attention at when you intend to take the MCAT, since there is the version available until late 2014 (which contains about 1/3 biology, 1/6 chemistry, 1/6 physics, 1/3 logic and reading comprehension, according to the only one in my physics cohort that took it; never told me how much he got) and the "2015 MCAT", if you think it is better to wait until 2015 to take it.

A "2015 MCAT" that will add a section that covers medical sociology, psychology (especially behavioral psychology) and de-emphasize physics a little, and it will no longer be a 5-hour test, but a 7-hour test.

Quote:

It does depend on the program, and it is best to complete the degree in full (or to be in the final year of that degree program)... ChemE at Laval not being impacted, it will likely ask you for an insanely high GPA. Unlike, say, physical therapy because the one I know that got into Laval for med school after attending university for a time had a GPA like 3.9 after one year in physical therapy. But, as I said, a 3.8+ GPA is the norm for Laval, from programs considered to be at least as hard as ChemE.