HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Young wingers to Buffalo

Old
07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Tampa wanted Connolly to develop in the A which he did so you can say that his value is just as high. He has added lots of weight since his draft year and has stayed healthy too. To me it's all in what type of player you want, Strome is a playmaker while Connolly is a sniper.

Strome is a natural goalscorer, and that has always been a primary strength of his game.

No offense, but I really don't think you know much about that prospect.

I really have no idea how good Connolly is because I have not followed him closely. I do think that downgrading Strome as a prospect because he was not playing on the Island as a weedy 19 yo is ridiculous though. As an Islander fan, I hope the days of kids getting rushed are over.

I really don't know whether Connolly is a reasonable Buffalo trade target either. They have no chance at Strome though.

07-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Oh I agree, and I'm no fan of Regier. It just seems like you're dead set on telling people how bad the Sabres are, when most of us are happy to be rebuilding at this point. It's year's overdue.
On the contrary! I think Buffalo is headed in the right direction and all the recent picks will pay off. I a,m absolutely not saying that Sabres are moving in a bad direction.

My beef is with the portrayal of Regier as a stud GM, whereas I see him as mediocre with some real weak spots.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:53 AM
McTank

I think Omark for a late pick would be a good risk to take

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:55 AM
McTank

What would the price of Connolly be? I am also extremely interested in teravainen but would he be available?

Old
07-27-2013, 11:59 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yeah, and that is real relevant to the discussion.

There are certainly lots of teams that have been more poorly managed over the years then Buffalo: Isles, Oil, Leafs, etc.

That doesn't change Regier into the genius you guys make him out to be.
LOL. So saying he's a good drafter and maxes out value in trades makes him a genius? go on facebook, search Buffalo sabres and look at the comments 95% of fans want darcy's head.
No one is making him out to be a genius, you're just assuimg and exaggerating stuff.
You'd think that with the what 12 top 10 picks since 1999 would make a cup contender.
Compare that to buffalo's 2 top 10 picks in a decade, and you can see that regier has done better than Milbury/Snow.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:00 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
What would the price of Connolly be? I am also extremely interested in teravainen but would he be available?
Probably not, the Hawks would likely look for a prospect upgrade in exchange of Teuvo, and they don't have the cap space for a proven NHLer like Ott or Vanek.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:09 PM
TheWook

Quote:
On the contrary! I think Buffalo is headed in the right direction and all the recent picks will pay off. I a,m absolutely not saying that Sabres are moving in a bad direction.

My beef is with the portrayal of Regier as a stud GM, whereas I see him as mediocre with some real weak spots.
It sort of came off that way. Anyways, mediocre is a good word. I think some people hold out hope that he built a contender once and can do it again, Terry Pegula included. I don't have any expectations but I think he's done a great job adding young assets.

TheWook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:10 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Strome is a natural goalscorer, and that has always been a primary strength of his game.

No offense, but I really don't think you know much about that prospect.

I really have no idea how good Connolly is because I have not followed him closely. I do think that downgrading Strome as a prospect because he was not playing on the Island as a weedy 19 yo is ridiculous though. As an Islander fan, I hope the days of kids getting rushed are over.
I'd say Connolly is just as hard to acquire as Strome but we have more wing depth then you so we'd be more open if the right trade came along.

I really don't know whether Connolly is a reasonable Buffalo trade target either. They have no chance at Strome though.
I haven't followed Strome like you haven't followed Connolly but just by looking at junior numbers he seems more playmaker then goal scorer.
I'm not downgrading him because he hasn't made it to the NHL but everyone wants to downgrade Connolly for not putting up numbers as a 19 in the NHL, we then decided to put him in the A to develop and he's all of a sudden a bust.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
LOL. So saying he's a good drafter and maxes out value in trades makes him a genius? go on facebook, search Buffalo sabres and look at the comments 95% of fans want darcy's head.
No one is making him out to be a genius, you're just assuimg and exaggerating stuff.
You'd think that with the what 12 top 10 picks since 1999 would make a cup contender.
Compare that to buffalo's 2 top 10 picks in a decade, and you can see that regier has done better than Milbury/Snow.
Milbury and Snow are irrelevant to the discussion and that sort of counter argument makes you look like a child to be frank. Nyah nyah nyah, my GM is better than yours!

Again, back to my original question: if Regier is such a good drafter and always maxes trades, why has Buffalo been such a meh team during his reign?

I think you are probably trying to shift this to shots at other teams because you know I am right.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I haven't followed Strome like you haven't followed Connolly but just by looking at junior numbers he seems more playmaker then goal scorer.
I'm not downgrading him because he hasn't made it to the NHL but everyone wants to downgrade Connolly for not putting up numbers as a 19 in the NHL, we then decided to put him in the A to develop and he's all of a sudden a bust.
Well, don't look to me to downgrade Connolly. I am in favor of giving kids time to develop.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure Czikas and Strome are "of interest..."

What you've done here is listed a bunch of other team's best young assets who Buffalo has zero chance of obtaining.

I think the above poster's point, to look for talented guys who make be stuck in a role because of depth, is at least reasonable. But, Buffalo has less than zero chance of getting Strome, Zibanejad, Tarasenko, etc.

And, btw, most of these guys aren't even wingers.

Not realistic at all.
This. If you want other teams top young talent, be prepared to part with some of your top young talent.

Kreider+ for Ristolainen?

Last edited by Rangers_23: 07-27-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
It sort of came off that way. Anyways, mediocre is a good word. I think some people hold out hope that he built a contender once and can do it again, Terry Pegula included. I don't have any expectations but I think he's done a great job adding young assets.
Buffalo is headed in a good direction now, I think that is obvious.

We mostly agree.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:00 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
This. If you want other teams top young talent, be prepared to part with some of your top young talent.

Kreider+ for Ristolainen?
Thats a good/fair place to start

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:05 PM
2015cupwinners

Quote:
How about Connolly for Ristolainen and a 4th rd. pick. The 4th is just because there is a bit more risk of a 18 y.o. busting than a 20 y.o.. Connolly just had a 71gm 63pt AHL season, so he's developing well.

Or maybe Pysyk and a 2nd. The 2nd is because Connolly has more potential upside.

2015cupwinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:31 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
How about Connolly for Ristolainen and a 4th rd. pick. The 4th is just because there is a bit more risk of a 18 y.o. busting than a 20 y.o.. Connolly just had a 71gm 63pt AHL season, so he's developing well.

Or maybe Pysyk and a 2nd. The 2nd is because Connolly has more potential upside.
I'd rather have risto than connolly and I'm high on pysyk too. Buffalos stockpiling prospects I feel like Tampa is a couple pieces away from contending. Would any of out vets interest you

Old
07-27-2013, 03:34 PM
JPurp26

Quote:

you just made yourself sound like a hypocrite. Pysyk looked very good in the NHL this year and is going to start in the NHL this year yet the Sabres add the pick because Connolly has higher potential even though he has a higher chance of busting. Which you said opposite with the Ristolainen situation. The deals aren't horrible and good starting points. Hedman and Risto would be sweet.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Jacko95

Quote:

That's too much or Connolly.

I would be more for Zadorov for Connolly and maybe sweeten the deal with a late pick from either side.
And to the guy that responded to my offer at the second page. Trading a 16th overall pick a month after drafting him is not giving up on him. Its good asset management to trade such a guy for a position of weakness.
Tampa and Buffalo have the same "problem". They have both nlots of prospect and have lots of highend talent on one position and depth on all position, but both lack highend quality on one position. Buffalo top wingers and Tampa a top defense prospect (top pairing, we have lots of promising defense prospect, but non of them will become a good top pairing guys)

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
2015cupwinners

Quote:
I'd rather have risto than connolly and I'm high on pysyk too. Buffalos stockpiling prospects I feel like Tampa is a couple pieces away from contending. Would any of out vets interest you
Tampa will have a lot of rookies this season, so probably not a contender short term, weirder things have happened though.

I'd have some interest in Myers, but that large contract makes him risky. Maybe Myers for Connolly and a 4th if you take Brewer? Brewer is an ok vet D who has 2 years left @3.8m. I know Buffalo is rebuilding so don't need a vet D, but Tampa won't fit under the cap with both Myers and Brewer.

Buffalo has a lot of D, Tampa has a lot of W, something should be doable.

What would you guys offer for Nikita Kucherov, or Tyler Johnson, 22 y.o., 5'10, AHL MVP?

Old
07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Djp

Quote:
The scuttlebutt among Sabre fans is that Darcy Reiger never loses trades. Now, you are all assuring me that he is also a stud at the draft table. Yet, Buffalo finished near the bottom of the league last year and hasn't won jack on Reiger's watch.

Something does add up here. If Reiger managed assets nearly as well as you guys suggest, buffalo would be a top tier team, instead of a franchise that had descended from mediocrity to one of the league's worst.

Reiger is not Milbury or Esposito. But, he also is not one of the league's better gms.

I don't mind seeing a change at GM.

strength have always been in scouting and drafting. He had poor drags in 2005-2007 in part because the scouting department was destroyed.

He is also good at doing deals that are low profile ( kassian- hodgson, drury, and brierre trades)

He s also good when he is the seller ( Gausted, Pominville)

He is not good when he is the buyer in a hot market ( 2006 and 2007 deadlines)

He is not good in moving his veteran players that are inconsistent ( Stafford, afnaganov)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:14 PM
2015cupwinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
you just made yourself sound like a hypocrite. Pysyk looked very good in the NHL this year and is going to start in the NHL this year yet the Sabres add the pick because Connolly has higher potential even though he has a higher chance of busting. Which you said opposite with the Ristolainen situation. The deals aren't horrible and good starting points. Hedman and Risto would be sweet.
I consider Ristolainen and Connolly to have the same potential, just different ages. Pysyk and Connolly are the same age, but different potentials.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:30 PM
2015cupwinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
That's too much or Connolly.
Connolly is a young 6th overall pick who is developing well. Ristolainen is a very young 8th overall pick who may or may not develop well. It's not too much.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:43 PM
JPurp26

I want Kucherov

Old
07-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Djp

Quote:

Pass on both. Connolly hasn't shown much.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Djp

Quote:
Connolly is a young 6th overall pick who is developing well. Ristolainen is a very young 8th overall pick who may or may not develop well. It's not too much.

Where they were picked doesn't matter...it's what their potential.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:33 PM
2015cupwinners

You may be right. Tampa has a pretty kickass prospect system, two AHL finals in a row using young players. We may be better off not making any big moves and just seeing how guys turn out.