HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 03:52 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Agree with what hockey legend said, I'm not sure if Sefton is right for us. I think he is too slow, we have a pretty speedy forward group (besides Crisp/Fox) and Pelech/McDowell have decent speed, and I have heard Dermott is very quick. With Knoblauch's system of being up-tempo and agreesive, I think we should look at Malysa, or maybe Trevor Carrick from the Steelheads. I agree, Cairns/Abraham/Donnay/Wood/Betz are the guys to move. A defense this year of Pelech-McDowell, Dermott-Trade, Felker-Raddysh, with Saban as the 7th is pretty good.
Think the Otters need 2 D not just 1, and u can add Harper to the list of possible trade bait guys
Otters will be dealing from strength from the forward corps, having 3 0r 4 17 D guys in pressure type situations is a recipe for disaster, Pelech,McDowell plus 2 guys and the kids,Dermott,Raddyish,Saban,Felker could prop the Otters to the top 3 or 4 in the conference

Old
07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Think the Otters need 2 D not just 1, and u can add Harper to the list of possible trade bait guys
Otters will be dealing from strength from the forward corps, having 3 0r 4 17 D guys in pressure type situations is a recipe for disaster, Pelech,McDowell plus 2 guys and the kids,Dermott,Raddyish,Saban,Felker could prop the Otters to the top 3 or 4 in the conference
I agree that putting three 17-year olds out there is probably not a great situation, but I'm not sure if we should be that aggressive in the trade market. I'm also a little uncomfortable with giving up Harper. He's a 95, so hes going to play two more seasons. I think he has potential to be a very good top 6 forward, and he just slacked a bit last season.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I agree that putting three 17-year olds out there is probably not a great situation, but I'm not sure if we should be that aggressive in the trade market. I'm also a little uncomfortable with giving up Harper. He's a 95, so hes going to play two more seasons. I think he has potential to be a very good top 6 forward, and he just slacked a bit last season.
Agree with most of what u are saying,however in the case of Harper,sometimes quality has go the other way to get something,also if the Swede shows up u know he will
play with MacD and Cairns,with Fox,Brown and Strome on the 2nd,if Harper cant get top 6 minutes,he should be moved,trade him to Windsor I will take him
Players such as Cairns,Woods,Evans,Wigle,Donnay and Abraham have limited trade value,not saying I would not take 1 or 2 maybe Betz as well,not sure if u can maximize
things though

Old
07-24-2013, 04:16 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Agree with most of what u are saying,however in the case of Harper,sometimes quality has go the other way to get something,also if the Swede shows up u know he will
play with MacD and Cairns,with Fox,Brown and Strome on the 2nd,if Harper cant get top 6 minutes,he should be moved,trade him to Windsor I will take him
Players such as Cairns,Woods,Evans,Wigle,Donnay and Abraham have limited trade value,not saying I would not take 1 or 2 maybe Betz as well,not sure if u can maximize
things though
If Burakovsky signs (which I think he will) the first line will be Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown, not that I agree with that but Bassin has stated that he envisions that as our first line. Fox and Strome should be on the second. Maybe Crisp slots in on the second to create a line similar to what Boston has this past season. If we move Harper because of his higher value, then maybe tag along Wood, Donnay, or Betz to unload some of our depth we should hang on to Cairns, or vice versa.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
If Burakovsky signs (which I think he will) the first line will be Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown, not that I agree with that but Bassin has stated that he envisions that as our first line. Fox and Strome should be on the second. Maybe Crisp slots in on the second to create a line similar to what Boston has this past season. If we move Harper because of his higher value, then maybe tag along Wood, Donnay, or Betz to unload some of our depth we should hang on to Cairns, or vice versa.
It would be a mistake to keep Brown on Macd"s line,if Burkakovsky plays on it too soft,need muscle so Fox or Crisp should be there and Brown goes to Stromes line with Fox or Crisp
Harper and Betz, would be interesting bait imo,along with Cairns
still leaves Erie with Wigle-Evans-Hodgson,Pettit-Lattavo- Woods as the forwards

Old
07-24-2013, 04:32 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
It would be a mistake to keep Brown on Macd"s line,if Burkakovsky plays on it too soft,need muscle so Fox or Crisp should be there and Brown goes to Stromes line with Fox or Crisp
Harper and Betz, would be interesting bait imo,along with Cairns
still leaves Erie with Wigle-Evans-Hodgson,Pettit-Lattavo- Woods as the forwards
I agree, I would rather have it be: Burakovsky-McDavid-Crisp, Fox-Strome-Brown but Bassin said he wants Brown on that first line. If we traded both Harper and Cairns I think the third line should be Hodgson-Petit-Lattavo, with Kohler-Evans-Betz as the fourth line, then Wigle and Wood as the extra. But I would prefer to keep Harper or Cairns, would improve the third line, and the fourth line, and maybe we give Kohler one more year to develop, as I could see him jumping up into the third line in 2014/2015.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I agree, I would rather have it be: Burakovsky-McDavid-Crisp, Fox-Strome-Brown but Bassin said he wants Brown on that first line. If we traded both Harper and Cairns I think the third line should be Hodgson-Petit-Lattavo, with Kohler-Evans-Betz as the fourth line, then Wigle and Wood as the extra. But I would prefer to keep Harper or Cairns, would improve the third line, and the fourth line, and maybe we give Kohler one more year to develop, as I could see him jumping up into the third line in 2014/2015.
I get what u are saying though Wigle would probably play ahead of Kohler though I think they should sign him,making him along with Strome,Saban and Mayo as the 4 16 year olds registered with the league
A team can sign as many as they want but only 4 get registered with the league,the rest would be affiliates and subject to recall conditions

Old
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
I get what u are saying though Wigle would probably play ahead of Kohler though I think they should sign him,making him along with Strome,Saban and Mayo as the 4 16 year olds registered with the league
A team can sign as many as they want but only 4 get registered with the league,the rest would be affiliates and subject to recall conditions
Probably, but I agree we should sign Kohler in case we need him. He'll definitely be a factor on the team in 2014/2015, can't believe we got him in the sixth round.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
things though
I agree. At the end of the day if the Otters want to upgrade their Defense they aren't going to do it by trading guys like Abraham, Donnay, wood, Evans ect. If you want to add two good defenseman good luck. Because no one will give up a good defenseman for a couple of depth players and a pick. If erie wants good players in return they can't be afraid of parting with some of their offensive talent.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
GetOutDaKitchin

Off topic, but what is the report on Lattavo? I've never seen him play. Is his size as advertised 6'2 195? The next Johnny McGuire?

Also, I agree with just about everything hockey legend and otters news are saying. Clearly, there is an influx of forwards in the middle of the lineup assuming Burakovsky signs. Harper, Cairns, Betz likely have the most trade value and its likely one or two of them is moved. My bets on Cairns bc he's a proven player in the league, will get better, and should be available as an OA a year from now. One player that hockey legend mentioned that I overlooked is Alex Basso in Sarnia. Him, Taki Pantziris, and Craig Duininck are all OA defensemen in Sarnia. Have to think at least one of them is moved. With Galchenyuk, Boucher, and Sarault gone, they desperately need offense. They're short on good 94 forwards so look for Cairns headed to Sarnia in the coming months for one of those three, my bets on Basso. I'm calling it.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:14 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
Off topic, but what is the report on Lattavo? I've never seen him play. Is his size as advertised 6'2 195? The next Johnny McGuire?

Also, I agree with just about everything hockey legend and otters news are saying. Clearly, there is an influx of forwards in the middle of the lineup assuming Burakovsky signs. Harper, Cairns, Betz likely have the most trade value and its likely one or two of them is moved. My bets on Cairns bc he's a proven player in the league, will get better, and should be available as an OA a year from now. One player that hockey legend mentioned that I overlooked is Alex Basso in Sarnia. Him, Taki Pantziris, and Craig Duininck are all OA defensemen in Sarnia. Have to think at least one of them is moved. With Galchenyuk, Boucher, and Sarault gone, they desperately need offense. They're short on good 94 forwards so look for Cairns headed to Sarnia in the coming months for one of those three, my bets on Basso. I'm calling it.
Dont be surprised if London is in on Basso,he would be welcome addition especially on the PP

Old
07-25-2013, 11:09 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post

Think we should move Cairns and probably a pick for Basso. I agree with hockeylegend in that 2 defenseman would be ideal but im not comfortable in giving up that much, when we arent expected to win a title this season. Keep the three 17 year olds in the lineup (Dermott,Felker,Raddysh), I think they can do a pretty good job this season and ideally they will be ready to go in 2014/2015.

As for Lattavo, I didnt get to see much of him. I didnt go to camp at all last year but I heard he had a great camp and really impressed some people, a few fans were disappointed he didnt stick (He couldnt because of McDavid, Petit, Felker, and Hodgson all staying). Also heard he had a very good season on his Tier II team. Saw him play one game, the finale against Guelph, and I couldnt really tell you much about him, didnt get a lot of shifts. I dont think he's a Johnny McGuire type, he's not a goon. He's more of a hard skating power forward that can shoot well. Could be a top 6 forward in 2014/2015.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Think we should move Cairns and probably a pick for Basso. I agree with hockeylegend in that 2 defenseman would be ideal but im not comfortable in giving up that much, when we arent expected to win a title this season. Keep the three 17 year olds in the lineup (Dermott,Felker,Raddysh), I think they can do a pretty good job this season and ideally they will be ready to go in 2014/2015.

As for Lattavo, I didnt get to see much of him. I didnt go to camp at all last year but I heard he had a great camp and really impressed some people, a few fans were disappointed he didnt stick (He couldnt because of McDavid, Petit, Felker, and Hodgson all staying). Also heard he had a very good season on his Tier II team. Saw him play one game, the finale against Guelph, and I couldnt really tell you much about him, didnt get a lot of shifts. I dont think he's a Johnny McGuire type, he's not a goon. He's more of a hard skating power forward that can shoot well. Could be a top 6 forward in 2014/2015.
Lattavo didn't play Tier II last year other than 2 AP appearances with the OJHL Mississauga Chargers; 0 points, 14 PM's. He played predominantly last season with the Major Midget Mississauga Reps in the GTHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=164631

Old
07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Probably, but I agree we should sign Kohler in case we need him. He'll definitely be a factor on the team in 2014/2015, can't believe we got him in the sixth round.
Kohler, was a top notch pick for Erie in the draft. Erie will see his work ethic and struggle to keep him away from this team. I think he signed with the Oakville Blades.

One other selection by Erie that I liked was TJ Fergus in the 8th round. Son of Tom Fergus. I think he has a chance to develop this year similar to how Dermott did last year. He proved to me that he was smart puck mover, excellent PK skills, good skater, physically overmatched. He could really give this team something in Year 2, the potential for development I think is strong.

With Mcdavid, Brown, Strome, Burakovsky(potentially) I think its important for Erie to have a fighter to keep other teams in check. It will also boost the confidense of the skilled guys to have some protection. I believe its a must to have someone with the capabilities of KO power in his hands to protect this team.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 07-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old
07-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Kohler, was a top notch pick for Erie in the draft. Erie will see his work ethic and struggle to keep him away from this team. I think he signed with the Oakville Blades.

One other selection by Erie that I liked was TJ Fergus in the 8th round. Son of Tom Fergus. I think he has a chance to develop this year similar to how Dermott did last year. He proved to me that he was smart puck mover, excellent PK skills, good skater, physically overmatched. He could really give this team something in Year 2, the potential for development I think is strong.
Fergus will play Tier II with Milton this year, notwithstanding cracking the OHL team roster.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:58 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:

With Mcdavid, Brown, Strome, Burakovsky(potentially) I think its important for Erie to have a fighter to keep other teams in check. It will also boost the confidense of the skilled guys to have some protection. I believe its a must to have someone with the capabilities of KO power in his hands to protect this team.
Heard some good things about Fergus, a Dermott-like jump would be awesome, could be a solid 3rd pairing dman in 2014/2015. This is a big year for Erie, but looking ahead to 2014/2015 I think we could be championship contenders. Depending on which OA comeback we will be pretty solid all-around if Williams progresses like I think he will in net.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Heard some good things about Fergus, a Dermott-like jump would be awesome, could be a solid 3rd pairing dman in 2014/2015. This is a big year for Erie, but looking ahead to 2014/2015 I think we could be championship contenders. Depending on which OA comeback we will be pretty solid all-around if Williams progresses like I think he will in net.
For 2014/15 I could see Brown,Crisp,plus add a Dman O/A and they would be mostly set
in the O/A dept and a dangerius team to boot

Old
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
For 2014/15 I could see Brown,Crisp,plus add a Dman O/A and they would be mostly set
I agree, I definitely see Brown and Crisp here. Dansk will very likely be in the AHL. It would be awesome if Pelech was back for his OA, but I'm not counting on that. Burakovsky (if he signs) will likely be here for 2014/2015 as well. A very dangerous team indeed

Old
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Depending on which OA comeback we will be pretty solid all-around if Williams progresses like I think he will in net.
I think he will progress nicely too. He has excellent reflexes and post to post he moves quick/anticipates well. He had some stellar games last year, with goalies developing slower than other positions, things are positive. Playing net for Erie last year must have been real tough, it could be a great learning experience. With things improved in front of the Otters goalies, that should motivate them further to win. Being outshot 40-20 and down 5-0 after 2 periods there is not much to play for, pretty deflating for the duo in net. Things are only going up from here.

Quote:
The Leafs intend to send Brown back to Erie for his OA year, I know its far off, but it was talked about at Prospects Camp. Its a win-win for the Leafs and Brown. The Leafs want Brown to gain 8 pounds a year which is needed for him to compete against men in the AHL/NHL. The next 2 years in the OHL will help achieve some of that weight that he needs. His OA year, 2014/15 should also be a great year for Erie and great development experience for Brown if they play in several pressure games. He looked good at camp, I really like his skill, he is developing a little more every year.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:10 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
I think he will progress nicely too. He has excellent reflexes and post to post he moves quick/anticipates well. He had some stellar games last year, with goalies developing slower than other positions, things are positive. Playing net for Erie last year must have been real tough, it could be a great learning experience. With things improved in front of the Otters goalies, that should motivate them further to win. Being outshot 40-20 and down 5-0 after 2 periods there is not much to play for, pretty deflating for the duo in net. Things are only going up from here.

The Leafs intend to send Brown back to Erie for his OA year, I know its far off, but it was talked about at Prospects Camp. Its a win-win for the Leafs and Brown. The Leafs want Brown to gain 8 pounds a year which is needed for him to compete against men in the AHL/NHL. The next 2 years in the OHL will help achieve some of that weight that he needs. His OA year, 2014/15 should also be a great year for Erie and great development experience for Brown if they play in several pressure games. He looked good at camp, I really like his skill, he is developing a little more every year.
Williams is a very quick goalie. Very good reflexes like you mentioned, he's pretty sharp on the kick saves. He had some good games, and some really bad games, but as we all know, played in front of a horrible defense. He still needs to improve his rebound control a bit, and he gets beat up high a little too often. Hopefully he gets a little bigger as well. He could be a stud in 2014/2015 and possibly even 2015/2016 if he's still here, but I dont really want to think that far down the line.

As for Brown, you are right I read the Leafs plan on having him here for the next two seasons, which is great. I think he may be in the NHL some day. He does everything well, isn't a huge weakness in his game, besides possibly his size. He plays with a ton of heart and I have never seen him give up on a play. My favourite player and I'm glad he's our captain for the next two seasons.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:03 AM
KnightSpit

Too Many D Rookies ??

Quote:
ErieOtterNews

If you have all these D rookies, regardless of how good they may be, aren't you just asking for more of what happened last year. Of all areas, D has to have be best mixture of Vets and 2nd or 3rd year players. Too young means too many goals against

Old
07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
ErieOtterNews

If you have all these D rookies, regardless of how good they may be, aren't you just asking for more of what happened last year. Of all areas, D has to have be best mixture of Vets and 2nd or 3rd year players. Too young means too many goals against
In 2014/2015? we will have almost no rookies in our defense lineup. If Pelech is back our top six will probably be something like Pelech, Dermott, Felker, Saban, Raddysh, and a 6th guy. None of those first five would be rookies. This year we could have one or two rookies in our defensive lineup, and I dont think its a problem to play a few rookies if they have vets around them.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:37 PM
KnightSpit

D This Year

Quote:
In 2014/2015? we will have almost no rookies in our defense lineup. If Pelech is back our top six will probably be something like Pelech, Dermott, Felker, Saban, Raddysh, and a 6th guy. None of those first five would be rookies. This year we could have one or two rookies in our defensive lineup, and I dont think its a problem to play a few rookies if they have vets around them.
Sorry I was referring to the 2013 /14 season, which is suppose to be the break through year for your team. With all those D rookies, what at least 3 of them and a bunch of 17 year olds how is that gonna solve what happened to you last year. Hey maybe they are all Duncan Keith's or Chara's in waiting who know, but a very young D core it not the way to go.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:30 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Sorry I was referring to the 2013 /14 season, which is suppose to be the break through year for your team. With all those D rookies, what at least 3 of them and a bunch of 17 year olds how is that gonna solve what happened to you last year. Hey maybe they are all Duncan Keith's or Chara's in waiting who know, but a very young D core it not the way to go.
not like there is much of a choice, its not his fault lol... they are doing what they can with what they have, trades will be made

Old
07-27-2013, 04:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
not like there is much of a choice, its not his fault lol... they are doing what they can with what they have, trades will be made
Dermott is a rookie technically, but his jump from OJHL to OHL is alot smaller than the true 97 rookies like Saban. Dermott's Newmarket team lost in the championship final, thats some great experience. Felker, Saban, Raddyish dont have alot of experience, I get that. Raddyish might not be ready for full-time defensive spot, but he surprised me last year. Maybe he is blooming late after the postion switch.

Closed Thread