HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 09:41 AM
HFX902

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
what if some youngsters like rnh, mackinnon etc has a huge season...
then they play 2018 Pyeongchang, South Korea

Old
07-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
then they play 2018 Pyeongchang, South Korea
This.

Recall that a rookie Crosby didn't play in 2006 and was never seriously considered, and, though he supposedly was considered, a sophomore Stamkos wasn't selected for 2010. We all know how Crosby's rookie season went, while Stamkos had 21 goals and 17 assists through 39 games on his way to a 50-goal season on the day the 2010 roster was announced.

IMO, even Taylor Hall is an unlikely choice, though he's got a much better chance if he lights it up early than either RNH or MacKinnon, even if the latter two are outperforming him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
I think you should go to Russia with a Under 24 team.

Hall Tavares Stamkos
Couture Duchene Eberle
Kane R'N'H Seguin
Benn Crosby Skinner
Huberdeau Schenn

Pietrangelo Subban
Doughty Schultz
Del Zotto Hamilton
Schenn Hamonic

Holtby
Visentin
Subban
Crosby will be 26 when the Olympics start...

Which means he'll only be 30 in 2018.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:03 PM
BowDangles

This is the team that I would roll. If any of these players slumps or gets injured and Eberle gets off to a good year I would slot him in, actually I think the roster this year is allowed to be a 25 man roster so I'll include subs.

Stamkos - Crosby - St. Louis
Getzlaf - Tavaras - Giroux
Hall - Toews - Nash
Duchene - Bergeron - Staal
Couture, Eberle

Weber - Subban
Peiterangelo - Doughty
Letang - Keith
Seabrook, Jay-Bo/Alzner

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Torn between Jay-Bo and Alzner as the 25th man..

Old
07-26-2013, 05:10 PM
spuzzum

I'll take a shot:

Stamkos - Crosby - Martin St. Louis
Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
E. Stall - Toews - Bergeron
EX: M. Richards, Duchene

Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Doughty
PK Subban - Weber
EX: Letang

Luongo
Crawford
Price

I am not a huge fan of the two right handed Dmen playing together, but it just impossible to keep them off the list. Perhaps exchanging PK Subban with Hamhuis or Bouwmeester but it just tough keeping off the reigning Norris Trophy winner.

I can also see a player like Nash getting bumped for Sharp if it doesn't start the year off right. It also pains me to leave J. Stall off this team given his versatility.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I'll take a shot:

Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry

Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Doughty
PK Subban - Weber

Luongo
Crawford
Price

I am not a huge fan of the two right handed Dmen playing together, but it just impossible to keep them off the list. Perhaps exchanging PK Subban with Hamhuis or Bouwmeester but it just tough keeping off the reigning Norris Trophy winner.

I can also see a player like Nash getting bumped for Sharp if it doesn't start the year off right. It also pains me to leave J. Stall off this team given his versatility.
Rick Nash scored 21 goals this season in 44 games which means at least 40 goals in 82 games. (his maximum is 41 goals) With his experience, size, skating ability, scoring ability.....he's almost a lock for me. His first season in NY is pretty underrated here. But as I said, he was on pace for 40 - 45 goals. I think he brings something special to the table. He goes hard to the net, he has physicality, can skate and has a great puck-handling and covers the puck like Jagr. He's my near-lock.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:18 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

Torn between Jay-Bo and Alzner as the 25th man..
I'd love to see Jay-Bo get selected. He has the perfect game for international ice; flawless skating, good passing... Would be a great 6th or 7th guy.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Mehar

I do not want to burst anyone's bubble- however i keep saying Eberle on a lot of projected teams. People still cling to his WJC tournaments where he was fantastic. I seen a lot of Edmonton games this year and he was invisible in a lot of them. He did not overly impress me at this year's WC as well. He is not ready for prime time, and frankly there are other better options than him for Sochi. He is in the outside looking in right now.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I do not want to burst anyone's bubble- however i keep saying Eberle on a lot of projected teams. People still cling to his WJC tournaments where he was fantastic. I seen a lot of Edmonton games this year and he was invisible in a lot of them. He did not overly impress me at this year's WC as well. He is not ready for prime time, and frankly there are other better options than him for Sochi. He is in the outside looking in right now.
A lot of people aren't really thinking about the conditions and circumstances when putting their teams together. Having, for instance, Thornton, Getzlaf, J. Staal et al. -- big slow players -- all over the roster, simply isn't going to happen. Hockey Canada will likely take one or two bigger, slower players but not many. They're get shredded on the larger ice surface.

If we do bring someone slow -- such as Thornton (who sucks at international tournaments) or Getzlaf -- then I think it's paramount that we put someone quick and defensively-aware on the same line. Someone like Bergeron might be effective with slower players.

I just hope we don't go with too many veteran guys. Take one of Iginla, Marleau, St. Louis, etc. -- but don't take them all.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:26 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
This.

Recall that a rookie Crosby didn't play in 2006 and was never seriously considered, and, though he supposedly was considered, a sophomore Stamkos wasn't selected for 2010. We all know how Crosby's rookie season went, while Stamkos had 21 goals and 17 assists through 39 games on his way to a 50-goal season on the day the 2010 roster was announced.

IMO, even Taylor Hall is an unlikely choice, though he's got a much better chance if he lights it up early than either RNH or MacKinnon, even if the latter two are outperforming him.

Crosby will be 26 when the Olympics start...

Which means he'll only be 30 in 2018.
He looks younger. Maybe one overaged should be allowed.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
He looks younger. Maybe one overaged should be allowed.
He looks fresh, that's it.

His rookie card:

Old
07-27-2013, 12:23 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I'll take a shot:

Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry

Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Doughty
PK Subban - Weber

Luongo
Crawford
Price

Funny how your team is almost identical to the one I posted here a few days ago. So I agree with you!

Old
07-27-2013, 01:47 PM
jwolf

I'll take a crack:

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos
Getzlaff - Tavares - Perry
Richards - Toews - Bergeron
Neal - J.Staal - Giroux
(Hall, Kunitz)

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Bouwmeester - Subban
(M.Staal)

Luongo
(Price, Crawford)

Old
07-27-2013, 04:59 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I'll take a crack:

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos
Getzlaff - Tavares - Perry
Richards - Toews - Bergeron
Neal - J.Staal - Giroux
(Hall, Kunitz)

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Bouwmeester - Subban
(M.Staal)

Luongo
(Price, Crawford)
I think it's a pretty good roster

Old
07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Here's my roster. This is just the invites:

St.Louis-Crosby-Stamkos
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
E.Staal-Bergeron-Toews
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp
M.Richards or Duchene

Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Weber
Boumeester-Doughty
Subban-Hamhuis

Luongo
Price
Crawford

I'd like to see Nash on a higher line, but I just don't know where to put him. I also wouldn't mind seeing Giroux put in with Stamkos; they showed some great chemistry at the WHC.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another variation:

Nash-Crosby-St.Louis
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
E.Staal-Bergeron-Toews
Hall-Getzlaf-Perry
Sharp
M.Richards or Duchene

Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Weber
Boumeester-Doughty
Subban-Hamhuis

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross: 07-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 08:10 PM
duul

vCash: 169
Taking everything into account like past success and chemistry/natural position I think this is how it will shape up.

Hall-Crosby-Giroux
Tavares-Stamkos-St.Louis
Richards-Toews-Nash
Marchand/Duchene-Bergeron-Sharp/Getzlaf

Pietrangelo-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Hamhuis-Subban
Bouwmeester-Doughty

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Big ice requires speed.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:46 PM
JackSlater

Lineup with explanations:

Hall Crosby Tavares
E. Staal Stamkos St. Louis
Sharp Toews Nash
Marchand Bergeron Giroux
Richards, Duchene

Keith Weber
Pietrangelo Doughty
Hamhuis Subban
M. Staal, Letang

Price
Luongo
Crawford

PK1:
Toews Sharp
Hamhuis Weber

PK2:
Bergeron Marchand
M. Staal Doughty

PP1:
Stamkos E. Staal St. Louis
Keith Weber

PP2:
Nash Crosby Giroux
Doughty Subban

Line 1: Crosby is the obvious #1 centre, bringing elite all around ability and Olympic experience. Tavares has arguably the best hockey sense on the team, allowing him to transition successfully to the wing, and is proven internationally. He could be devastating in tandem with Crosby. Hall brings elite speed and willingness to bang bodies and open up space for his linemates. Possibly not the easiest fit, but I think this line could hurt teams in several ways.

Line 2: Stamkos and St. Louis are a proven tandem who should have no problem on international ice. E. Staal should be able to dominate along the boards, winning the puck for his linemates and leaving them space. Has some experience on the wing as well. He could also move to centre if Stamkos falters there, replicating the Stamkos - Spezza - St. Louis line that worked quite well at the WCs. Plenty of experience on this line, and if Staal is on one of his hot streaks it could easily be the best line on the team.

Line 3: Solid experience and chemistry. Toews and Nash worked very well together in 2010, while Toews - Sharp have proven compatibility from their years in Chicago. Each player has good to great defensive ability, and they are all capable offensive threats. This would not be a fun line to play against, and could definitely wear down opposing teams.

Line 4: Proven chemistry with Bergeron - Marchand, while the latter also brings slight Olympic experience. Bergeron brings an elite defensive element to this line single-handedly. Marchand brings an agitation element to the team that is largely missing otherwise (remember that Canada has done this before at best on best tournaments, particularly in the 80s) and is a quality skater. He has also demonstrated an ability to score at a sufficiently high rate while not needing many puck touches. Giroux is over-qualified for the fourth line, but that is the cost of playing on this team. He can dominate the puck in the offensive end, and has shown the ability to play RW in the past. Another scary line.

Spares: Richards dresses, providing experience and another defensive/gritty player should someone go down. Losing one of the players who is an elite talent offensively honestly shouldn't be a big concern. Duchene can watch, and shouldn't prove a distraction as a young player just happy to be there. He is also an elite skater who has impressed internationally. I have some questions about his ability to use elite linemates, but I don't expect that he will be needed anyway.

Pairing 1: Weber is the top defenceman on the team, always looks good internationally and gets to play on his strong side. Keith is Canada's best LH defenceman, and his elite mobility should complement Weber.

Pairing 2: Two elite all around defencemen who have excelled internationally. Pietrangelo should be able to play on the left side without much of a problem. No weakness here.

Pairing 3: Subban is dynamic enough to break a game open, but there are risks associated with his style of play. Hamhuis is there as a quite, reliable defender who is elite in his own zone. It helps that he is the ever elusive LH defenceman on this team.

Extras: M. Staal is an optimistic pick. If healthy, he brings size, great skating, elite defensive play and another LHD. Letang is a great skater, but this isn't 2006 and Canada is fine in this regard. I don't like his mental lapses, and Subban takes his spot because he is better on the PP.

Goaltending: Play whoever is best at the time. My guess is Price, but that really is little more than a guess. Not as bad a situation as it is sometimes made out to be, but not optimal either.

PK1: Toews and Sharp are already a proven commodity. Hamhuis and Weber are elite defensively and should be fine in net battles.

PK2: Bergeron and Marchand are also proven. M. Staal has good size and defensive ability, and Doughty is no slouch here either. Pietrangelo could fit in as required.

PP1: E. Staal is the net presence, while Stamkos waits for one timers from St. Louis. Keith is there for mobility on the blueline, and Weber is obviously there for his shot. I'm not really worried about Weber being used in so many situations. Wouldn't want to be the goaltender worried about Stamkos and Weber on the same PP.

PP2: Nash is the net presence here. Crosby and Giroux have a bad relationship, but they are too useful on the PP to leave off and should be able to put issues aside for a few minutes each game. Doughty provides mobility and puck moving on the blueline, and Subban has a booming shot.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:17 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Rick Nash scored 21 goals this season in 44 games which means at least 40 goals in 82 games. (his maximum is 41 goals) With his experience, size, skating ability, scoring ability.....he's almost a lock for me. His first season in NY is pretty underrated here. But as I said, he was on pace for 40 - 45 goals. I think he brings something special to the table. He goes hard to the net, he has physicality, can skate and has a great puck-handling and covers the puck like Jagr. He's my near-lock.
No it doesn't...

Old
07-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Frk It
#snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Nash - Crosby - Stamkos
That line scares the **** out of me.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Oilgasms

1. Stamkos - Crosby - St.Louis
2.a Hall - Tavares - Giroux
2.b E. Staal - Toews - Getzlaf
4. M. Richards - Bergeron - Nash
Extras Sharp, Eberle

Doughty - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Keith - Letang
Seabrook, Bouwmeester

Price
Ward
Crawford

Old
07-28-2013, 02:31 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
That line scares the **** out of me.
It shouldn't: He put "The Magician" on left wing.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Toydarian

Hall - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Giroux
Nash - Bergeron - M.Richards
Sharp - Getzlaf - Perry
Carter, Couture

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Subban
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Hamhius - Letang

Luongo
Price

Old
07-28-2013, 08:17 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
No it doesn't...
Okay, 39.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
LeHabsMan

John Tavares - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Eric Staal - Steven Stamkos - Martin St.Louis
Patrick Sharp - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
Mike Richards - Patrice Bergeron - Jeff Carter
- Andrew Ladd
- Taylor Hall/Matt Duchene/Logan Couture

You have chemistry on 3 of the 4 lines with Stamkos-St.Louis, Toews-Sharp and Richards-Carter.

2 full offense lines and 2 very strong 2-way lines with excellent offense.

Tavares and Crosby play a very similar game and they have a big bodied winger on their right. Nash has never played with such good linemates and he will likely excel.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Nash didn't gel particularly well with Crosby in 2010, I don't see why everyone is so quick to pencil him in with Crosby again. Sid works better with slightly faster skaters.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Nash didn't gel particularly well with Crosby in 2010, I don't see why everyone is so quick to pencil him in with Crosby again. Sid works better with slightly faster skaters.
Yeah, and I think that will be an even bigger factor on big ice. You don't want Crosby skating up the neutral zone at full speed while his linemates lag far behind him, not being able to help him once he gains the zone.

St. Louis and Stamkos probably make the most sense. You have Crosby and St. Louis skating incredibly fast with the option to hit Stamkos as a trailer, at least that's the way I would draw it up.

Closed Thread