HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would preds ever trade Weber

Old
07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
PredsHabs

vCash: 500
Would preds ever trade Weber

Do you believe the predators would ever trade our captain?

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Soundgarden

I can't envision a team stupid enough to accept what it'd take. If Poile can find a team who'll instantly regret acquiring Weber then sure, anythings possible. I just highly doubt that'll happen.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:49 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Short answer: no.

Long answer:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:34 AM
WartracePred

If Poile is fired, it's possible. If he retires amicably, no.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:31 AM
PredsHabs

So you mean to tell that if Pittsburgh called and offered Malkin for Weber you would not have to at least think about it!
Especially if Jones turns out to be another Stud Dman.

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
So you mean to tell that if Pittsburgh called and offered Malkin for Weber you would not have to at least think about it!
Especially if Jones turns out to be another Stud Dman.
Crosby yes Malkin no.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:05 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Even the best players are sometimes traded. Never say never.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Jonesey
Dept. of Defense

Yes the Preds WOULD trade Weber.

Do I think it WILL happen? Not for at least 7 seasons unless he asks out.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:45 AM
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban

For a king's ransom yes, but it won't happen.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:25 AM
INDhockeyfan

Anybody can be traded and since Weber doesn't have a NTC we can trade him anywhere but it won't be now. At some point he will regress and get old and I can see us trading him then but now no.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:27 AM
ImPEKKAble
(Flyers) Preds/Jets

Flyers were close last year, Holmgren couldn't part with both Schenn and Couturier. This brought the offer sheet.

ImPEKKAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:47 AM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Flyers were close, but that was before Nashville paid out 24% of a massive contract to him. He will be one of the biggest bargain players in the entire league in a couple of seasons. Between the money already paid out, his value to the team and his incredible talent it would take a massive return.

I think either of Crosby or Malkin would get the ball rolling. Stamkos is another. Tavares would be a good starting point, but I think Poile would want more (NYI would probably hang up). After that you're talking about gutting a team to bring in a single player. I know Gretzky was traded, but the circumstances behind that are completely different than the circumstances in Nashville.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:04 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
Do you believe the predators would ever trade our captain?
Would they? Of course.

Will they? Only if he wants out.

Say what you will, but the guy just never strikes me as Mr. Predator. He says all the right things, but call it a gut feeling, he's never going to be the pro-Nashville, pro Predator, face of the franchise - the Stevie Y with the Red Wings, Shane Doan with the Coyotes - type like that. The type of guy that you just can't ever see him playing anywhere else.

JMHO.

Also, precedent says that very rarely do these massive decade-long contracts end well.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:06 PM
ImPEKKAble
(Flyers) Preds/Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Flyers were close, but that was before Nashville paid out 24% of a massive contract to him. He will be one of the biggest bargain players in the entire league in a couple of seasons. Between the money already paid out, his value to the team and his incredible talent it would take a massive return.

I think either of Crosby or Malkin would get the ball rolling. Stamkos is another. Tavares would be a good starting point, but I think Poile would want more (NYI would probably hang up). After that you're talking about gutting a team to bring in a single player. I know Gretzky was traded, but the circumstances behind that are completely different than the circumstances in Nashville.
Yea that makes sense, he most likely wouldn't be traded soon. Only when he gets older could I see it happen considering right now most teams would have to give their star player or way too much.

ImPEKKAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

I do not mean this to be a personal attack, but I am sick of hearing about the massive frontload payout. Any player or package that would entice this team to trade Weber would likely include a player who received a signing bonus as well. For example if Liarpold suddenly developed dementia and offered Parise and Suter for Weber there signing bonuses combined dwarf what Weber was paid.

The simple answer is that yes Weber could be traded but the price right now would be enormous. If a package was offered that made the team a cup contender immediately he would be moved. The additional monies from a cup run in ticket sales alone would offset the frontloaded payments made. Not just the additional playoffgames but the increase in regular season tickets, remember in all these so called sell outs of the past couple years there were an average of 1900 comp tickets per game. This is not meant to start a attendance *****fight but top point out what would happen if the team did hoist the cup. No one player is untradeable, there are many here that just have unrealistic values of players on this team and players they would want on the team.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

That's kind of why I said it would have to be a massive return to get a deal done. I didn't say he will not be traded because of it. I said that is a factor in deciding what a proper return would be, at least for the time being. Suter and Parise = massive return, though I wouldn't be very happy if that happened.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:14 PM
29dryden29

If Gretzky can be traded anyone in the NHL can be treaded end of story.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I agree, I believe it'd have to be an awesome return though

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:37 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
thanks for stating the obvious

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Per HFBoards law, you lose.

Seriously, that is by far the most overcited piece of bullcrap ever on these forums. People take it to mean that everybody's available "for the right price". Which is completely wrong - it's that anybody can be MADE available under the right circumstances. Which is so very not the same thing.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:03 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 160
this has been beaten to death but the simple answer is "yes, but.."

the "but" is, the likelihood of it happening anytime in the next 5 years is very low.

A "hockey trade" for Weber in which both teams are thinking they are competing for the Cup and both teams think they will be more competitive after the trade is highly unlikely.

If, however, the Preds ever have to go into full rebuild mode and Weber is over 31 or 32, the the logical thing to do would be to trade Weber for a boatload of picks/prospects

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:33 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this has been beaten to death but the simple answer is "yes, but.."

the "but" is, the likelihood of it happening anytime in the next 5 years is very low.

A "hockey trade" for Weber in which both teams are thinking they are competing for the Cup and both teams think they will be more competitive after the trade is highly unlikely.

If, however, the Preds ever have to go into full rebuild mode and Weber is over 31 or 32, the the logical thing to do would be to trade Weber for a boatload of picks/prospects
I agree we aren't trading him in the next 5 yrs. If Seth Jones becomes another Weber and resigns long term then I could see us trading Weber if we get a lot in return.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

The way the contract is structured makes any trade within the next five years highly unlikely. We may not have an internal cap anymore, but we're still a fiscally responsible team and trading him after eating a majority of the front loaded bonuses is not palatable to ownership imo.

As to what it would take to trade him, there aren't many viable options out there. I think I might do a straight up swap for Tavares; really love that guy.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:48 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Gretzky wasn't traded. He was sold for $15 million. (officially it was a trade- and a lousy one at that but reading between the lines it was a very cheap buy for LA. In my book it ranks right up there with Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase- about a third of the U.S. for the cost of the empire state building )

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Persona5

If Jones pans out the way everyone thinks he will then I can see Weber being moved close to when Jones will need a new contract. Until then however there is no way he will be moved.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote