HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
07-27-2013, 01:53 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Even with 10 hours a week in class, there is no denying that weekly university schedules can be irregular (vs. a high school schedule)...
Oh, definitely. University is less about going to class, more about doing assignments and readings.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Not ready to live on my own.
Why exactly?

Limiting yourself to basically one university is not a good idea.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Why exactly?

Not everyone enjoys relocating. I wasn't ready to be alone when I started University either. Just didn't see the point personally.

It's only bad if well, as you say, you limit yourself to 2nd or 3rd choices. Zaide should pursue whatever he wants to do and if relocating is necessary, do it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Why exactly?

I know. But I'm really shy and I feel that if I moved to Montreal right now I might go through some psychological issues. My plan would be to do one year at ULaval in engineering, then apply, if I feel ready, for Biomed Engineering the year after, complete it and then maybe try to get into med school.

What would be the best program (for next year) that does not require a minimum Cote R (because it's too late for those) and that I can do without having done my Bio II class at CÉGEP (which I'd take as a complimentary class at University) ?

07-27-2013, 02:22 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
I still have not made my decision regarding university, and I start it this fall.

The problem is that I want to go in health sciences, but I did not take one of the two biology classes that are required at CÉGEP because initially I wanted to go in engineering. I thought of doing biomed engineering at Polytechnique, but well, not ready to live on my own. So now I don't really know what do to because I'd like to try to get into medicine or pharmacy in a few (1 to 3) years if possible.

I thought of doing either chemistry engineering or any other kind of engineering at ULaval and adding this bio class I'm missing to my schedule, but I'm wondering if that would be just too much workload. :\

Also, anyone knows what grades I should need at university in such a program (engineering) to get into medicine when my Cote R "only" is 32.2 (blame myself for never studying in the first three semesters at CÉGEP ) ?

Thanks.
PM me if you speak french, if your cote R is indeed 32,2 and you get a 4,1+/4,33 GPA in most programs you have high chances for med/pharma at ULaval the next year (they will only look at the fall session grades and you probably know there are MEMs for med and test psycho for pharma so even if your grades are high you will need to perform on those)

CaptainIginla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
PM me if you speak french, if your cote R is indeed 32,2 and you get a 4,1+/4,33 GPA in most programs you have high chances for med/pharma at ULaval the next year (they will only look at the fall session grades)
Alright, I'll PM you some questions later if I think of it.

That being said, anyone knows of a French speaking forum where I could ask these questions too ? :p

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not everyone enjoys relocating. I wasn't ready to be alone when I started University either. Just didn't see the point personally.
I am just curious why. I did my first two years in a college down the street from my parents house. But I mostly choose that route because my grades from HS were abysmal.

Quote:
It's only bad if well, as you say, you limit yourself to 2nd or 3rd choices. Zaide should pursue whatever he wants to do and if relocating is necessary, do it.
It's a problem because you are limiting yourself to one faculty, which may not be strong, or one school, which may be a generally poorer university overall.

It's also far from a guarantee that you will be admitted. Better to spread your odds out.

I knew I wanted to go to Montreal to finish my degree. I didn't really want to go to Concordia, but I applied there anyways. But I got lucky and go into my first choice. But it could have easily not happened either, I was originally on the wait list. I also applied to other universities outside of Montreal.

Better to cast a larger net and see what you catch. Especially when undergrad applications require little to no effort to do.

I loathe next year when I have to put out 15 PhD applications.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:28 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I know. But I'm really shy and I feel that if I moved to Montreal right now I might go through some psychological issues.
Fair enough. But keep in mind that it could also be great therapy and a chance to confront these problems head on. Personal challenges are meant to be overcome during your undergrad years.

Better to talk to a professional about this though.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:31 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

Quote:
Fair enough. But keep in mind that it could also be great therapy and a chance to confront these problems head on. Personal challenges are meant to be overcome during your undergrad years.

If he really wants to be an engineer yes but not a good idea when he/she can apply to med/pharma after his fall session and have a legit chance at Ulaval... Better than screwing his grades up and needing to complete his bac to hope for an admission

One semester at 4,0++ (/4,33) gpa is way easier than a whole bacc at 4,00+ gpa

Old
07-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:

I plan on calling at ULaval too on Monday. I hope they can answer my questions and guide me through this.

The problem with me is that in my first semester at CÉGEP, I wanted to go in health sciences, then the second and third one, I wanted to go in Engineering, then in my last one, last spring, I wanted to go in health sciences again, but I had chosen Advanced Calc instead of Bio II, which now appears to be a bad decision. If I had taken it, I'd probably have done a few years in biomedical sciences, but I can't because of that Bio class.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I am just curious why. I did my first two years in a college down the street from my parents house. But I mostly choose that route because my grades from HS were abysmal.
I found high school a joke and cegep a waste in Quebec. You aren't from here so it's a little different but I maintain that. Never cared about marks because it sucked and any high school or cegep was same thing really.

Quote:
It's a problem because you are limiting yourself to one faculty, which may not be strong, or one school, which may be a generally poorer university overall.

It's also far from a guarantee that you will be admitted. Better to spread your odds out.

I knew I wanted to go to Montreal to finish my degree. I didn't really want to go to Concordia, but I applied there anyways. But I got lucky and go into my first choice. But it could have easily not happened either, I was originally on the wait list. I also applied to other universities outside of Montreal.

Better to cast a larger net and see what you catch. Especially when undergrad applications require little to no effort to do.

I loathe next year when I have to put out 15 PhD applications.
If the guy has a good R score like he said, he should get into engineering or whatever with relative ease.

FWIW, I applied to one cegep and one university. I never ever had to worry about it and my marks were the same as you said, abysmal. Was it a risky move? Probably but I wasn't going to go to McGill for engineering anyway and cegep was a joke to get into.

Should one limit themselves? Obviously not but sometimes the risk reward isn't worth it. I think for specific faculties your preference for school reputation may apply. In montreal, people at ETS, Poly and Concordia all get same jobs in engineering really because we're all undergrads. At levels beyond in the masters and PhD range you take what you can get obviously but reputation for facilities for research and personnel play a bigger role.

I'm not disputing your logic but it's obviously a different perspective for you as you're past the undergrad level.

Anyway, good look for your applications when the time comes!

Old
07-27-2013, 02:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I plan on calling at ULaval too on Monday. I hope they can answer my questions and guide me through this.

The problem with me is that in my first semester at CÉGEP, I wanted to go in health sciences, then the second and third one, I wanted to go in Engineering, then in my last one, last spring, I wanted to go in health sciences again, but I had chosen Advanced Calc instead of Bio II, which now appears to be a bad decision. If I had taken it, I'd probably have done a few years in biomedical sciences, but I can't because of that Bio class.
When you have 3-4 years of school, a couple classes won't make a dif. You can always do Biology class then apply to the program of interest afterwards.

Also, FWIW, all Engineering options usually start pretty similar with math classes, programming and stuff like that. So if you do decide to go into engineering, don't be shy to enter a field and change it. I spent 2 years in mechanical engineering and switched into industrial but I had known I was going to switch and in doing so, I continued all my classes except mechanical ones. I advanced my degree anyway. You could always do that. Don't underestimate the flexibility you'll have. Things change and you don't always need to know your exact plan from day 1. It's just important to feel you are going in the right direction.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
If he really wants to be an engineer yes but not a good idea when he/she can apply to med/pharma after his fall session and have a legit chance at Ulaval... Better than screwing his grades up and needing to complete his bac to hope for an admission

One semester at 4,0++ (/4,33) gpa is way easier than a whole bacc at 4,00+ gpa
You think an engineer with 3.75 ish would get into med?

Not asking for me but my friend is basically top of the class every single year, 2/3 years dean's list(missed last by 0.02 GPA). If he can't get an interview, don't know who can as there's only 1 other person I know of in my faculty with a GPA within 0.05 of his.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:55 PM
guest1467

Quote:

Not asking for me but my friend is basically top of the class every single year, 2/3 years dean's list(missed last by 0.02 GPA). If he can't get an interview, don't know who can as there's only 1 other person I know of in my faculty with a GPA within 0.05 of his.
From what I have heard from a room mate, who has been through the med process three times, is it's all about the interview.

As long as you can get your foot in the door (and you should be able to with a 3.75 in eng), then you just concentrate on nailing your interview.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:09 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

Quote:

I can only tell you for ULaval as it is the only one giving full infos about applications!
First it depends on what kind of engineering? With most of them (but not all) yes he would be invited to the interviews at ULaval (if he finished his bacc)
is it 3,75/4,00 (mcgill?)
or 3,75/4,33?
because if its 3,75/4,00 at ULaval they simply do "produit croisé" to get your grades on 4,33 (which I think is unfair) so it would mean he has 4,05/4,33 so he would for sure be invited

here is the table they use to convert the cotes in for the 2013 applications, you can check all programs and what your grades get you as a cote
http://www2.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/admi...web_public.pdf as you can see 3,67 in engineering wouldnt be enough but 4,00 yes, you would need to do the maths for 3,75 =P

(you need 32,00+ as an universitaire to be invited to MEMS AT ULAVAL but the mean of universitaires invited is at more than 33,00 (dont recall exactly it could be 33,5 or 34, it is for sure way more than 32 so to be competitive its better you get more)
also, keep in mind that 32 at ulaval is like a 34+ cote at most other universities
they have their own way of converting gpas/grades

edit: dont know if Im clear... way easier to talk hockey in english than school!

Last edited by CaptainIginla: 07-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

After reading this table, looks like a 3.8+ in ChemE really is what you should aim for, MCAT or not.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Forsead

Quote:
I can only tell you for ULaval as it is the only one giving full infos about applications!
First it depends on what kind of engineering? With most of them (but not all) yes he would be invited to the interviews at ULaval (if he finished his bacc)
or 3,75/4,33?
because if its 3,75/4,00 at ULaval they simply do "produit croisé" to get your grades on 4,33 (which I think is unfair) so it would mean he has 4,05/4,33 so he would for sure be invited

here is the table they use to convert the cotes in for the 2013 applications, you can check all programs and what your grades get you as a cote
http://www2.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/admi...web_public.pdf as you can see 3,67 in engineering wouldnt be enough but 4,00 yes, you would need to do the maths for 3,75 =P

(you need 32,00+ as an universitaire to be invited tto MEMS AT ULAVAL but the mean of universitaires invited is at more than 33,00 (dont recall exactly it could be 33,5 or 34, it is for sure way more than 32 so to be competitive its better you get more)
also, keep in mind that 32 at ulaval is like a 34+ cote at most other universities

edit: dont know if Im clear... way easier to talk hockey in english than school!
Yeah, if you want to go in engineering to get to med at Ulaval it isn't a good idea since Ulaval seems to put a low value to high grades in thoses programs (even if they're damn hard) if you compare to others programs.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
or 3,75/4,33?

(you need 32,00+ as an universitaire to be invited to MEMS AT ULAVAL but the mean of universitaires invited is at more than 33,00 (dont recall exactly it could be 33,5 or 34, it is for sure way more than 32 so to be competitive its better you get more)

3.75 on 4.3. He had 3.8 last I checked but stopped caring lol

I doubt they do math to get you on 4.33. I believe they just count your A+ as 4.3(or 4.33) and recalculate no? That's what I read for putting it from 4.3 to 4. So in some cases, it may not change.

BTW, how do the calculations work for that table? If anyone knows that would be cool. Just curious where they even got the index numbers all that.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:57 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Alright, I'll PM you some questions later if I think of it.

That being said, anyone knows of a French speaking forum where I could ask these questions too ? :p
http://www.premed101.com/forums/

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
This is about as many as in high school, except that there is a greater schedule spread, depending on the actual schedule chosen... I mean, there is no high school class (at least not a regular one) that would be over at 5:30 PM.

And university, too, can have such schedule stretch even though you may only have 15-18 class hours to attend in a week (for undergrad; graduate school is another can of worms).
In high school, I had about 25 hours of class if I remember correctly. 5 days with 4 classes each day that lasted 1:15. That's what I liked from High School, your day was over at 3:45.

Lars Mon Amour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 05:05 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
In high school, I had about 25 hours of class if I remember correctly. 5 days with 4 classes each day that lasted 1:15. That's what I liked from High School, your day was over at 3:45.
In my last semester, in the fall, I go to class twice a week for an hour each lecture. My other two classes are independent research and my honours thesis where I meet my profs once every couple of weeks to discuss my readings and progress.

I literally go to class for two hours a week. It's brilliant. 5 whole days off a week.

This is the glory of being an upper-level university student.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
In my last semester, in the fall, I go to class twice a week for an hour each lecture. My other two classes are independent research and my honours thesis where I meet my profs once every couple of weeks to discuss my readings and progress.

I literally go to class for two hours a week. It's brilliant. 5 whole days off a week.

This is the glory of being an upper-level university student.
What program are you in actually? And the other guy said that you aren't from Quebec so you must pay a lot... just for two hours a week.

Anyways, my third and final year of college for me. I'm ****ing pissed but I need to go to university...

Old
07-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

So all that being said... Looking at the table, the best engineering program I should go if I want to have a better GPA would be Physical Engineering ? Just curious because I don't know how any of these work.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
What program are you in actually? And the other guy said that you aren't from Quebec so you must pay a lot... just for two hours a week.

Anyways, my third and final year of college for me. I'm ****ing pissed but I need to go to university...
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science at McGill. I don't pay that much, about $7000 a year. Cheaper than many other places around the world and would be the same as anywhere else in Canada.

Why would you be pissed because you have to go to university? Your options are increased tenfold and the profs actually conduct significant research.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science at McGill. I don't pay that much, about $7000 a year. Cheaper than many other places around the world and would be the same as anywhere else in Canada.

Why would you be pissed because you have to go to university? Your options are increased tenfold and the profs actually conduct significant research.
I thought it would be more like $10K +. Nevermind.

I'm not pissed about going to university, in fact I'm not pissed at all. I'm pissed of CEGEP.