HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2013 Offseason roster build thread part Additional Nauseum

Old
07-27-2013, 02:58 PM
BananaSquad

vCash: 500
Ennis and Grigorenko should be on the same line. Ennis becomes Grigo's Freddie Roy from junior.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And if the other two are claimed, they have to stay up with the claiming team. Like other teams are going to be clamoring for either of 'em at this point....
I wouldn't risk losing Tropp. But you are right; he may fly under the radar since he only played 6 games last season.

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:50 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Ennis and Grigorenko should be on the same line. Ennis becomes Grigo's Freddie Roy from junior.
I disagree pretty adamantly. Should Grigorenko earn an expanded role, he should be flanked by two veterans than can play a possession game/run a cycle. Ennis, a run-and-gunner, isn't that kind of player. Pairing him with Grigorenko puts both at a disadvantage when they don't have the puck in transition, which, in my opinion, would be often.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
I disagree pretty adamantly. Should Grigorenko earn an expanded role, he should be flanked by two veterans than can play a possession game/run a cycle. Ennis, a run-and-gunner, isn't that kind of player. Pairing him with Grigorenko puts both at a disadvantage when they don't have the puck in transition, which, in my opinion, would be often.
Grigorenko really need to learn to play without the puck. Having our best puck possession players on his wing can help. Putting him between Ennis and Leino, probably our two forwards at possessing the puck in the offensive zone would be ideal for him. Maybe not the team though.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I wouldn't risk losing Tropp. But you are right; he may fly under the radar since he only played 6 games last season.
Coming off a major reconstructive surgery, I don't see very many teams being all that interested in him with the questions about his effectiveness not yet answered.

07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Prospector74

Any interest in Hemsky for 1 year at full salary if the price is cheap such as 1 or 2 bottom six guys (e.g. Hemsky for Kaleta/Tropp/etc.)? I believe a 1 year rental of Hemsky is better than overpaying for longer term on Brunner/etc. Also, I do not want to deliberately tank.

Ennis - Hodgson - Vanek
Ott - Grigorenko - Hemsky
Leino - Foligno/Larsson/Girgensons - Stafford
Other - Other - Other
Scott

Rochester: the lesser/not ready of the others

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:12 AM
dotcommunism

I don't see any reason to give up anything of any value for Hemsky. He's not as good as he used to be and he can't stay healthy

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:15 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Any interest in Hemsky for 1 year at full salary if the price is cheap such as 1 or 2 bottom six guys (e.g. Hemsky for Kaleta/Tropp/etc.)? I believe a 1 year rental of Hemsky is better than overpaying for longer term on Brunner/etc. Also, I do not want to deliberately tank.

Ennis - Hodgson - Vanek
Other - Other - Other
Scott

Is he bringing some Oilers draft picks with him? Zero interest.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post

Ennis - Hodgson - Vanek
Other - Other - Other
Scott

Hemsky for future considerations?? Ok.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 03:42 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
If Hemsky, and any other Oiler cast offs for that matter, aren't of use to the Oilers, then what good are they going to be here?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:44 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Since we're making lines:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford
I like Stafford here better than the other available options. Armia will not be ready for 1st line duties IMO and Stafford is the best RW we have.

Ennis-Grigorenko-Foligno
Heavy O-zone starts like others have stated but with Foligno replacing Stafford to give this line some real sandpaper and hustle. Foligno can chip in with Offensive linemates as we saw at the tail end of '11-'12.

Ott-Larsson-Leino
Good defensive zone and Possesion line. I really think we're going to be impressed with Larsson. He plays a mature game for his age and I see him breaking out sooner rather than later, and Ott+Leino would be the perfect ingredients to achieve that. This is like your prototypical 40pt per player line with very solid defense on top.

Flynn-Porter-Kaleta
Typical energy and grit line with some speed. Flynn and Porter can move up to 2nd or 3rd lines if injuries strike.

Forward call ups in order: Tropp, Armia, Girgensons, Catenacci.

Myers-Ehrhoff
I think this top pairing could be in flux more than any other line. I could see Tallinder up here, and I think you could make a very compelling case to put Pysyk and Myers together. I think their styles could compliment each other very very well. In Pysyk I see a young Hank/Numminen type that Myers has excelled with.

Pysyk-Tallinder
Basically the same types of player, very defensively minded with poise and confidence. Hank=Perfect mentor for Pysyk in regards to playstyle.

Weber-McBain/McNabb/Ristolainen
This last D spot in the top 6 is going to be up for grabs IMO and whoever plays here will have to earn it among a crowded young D-corps.

7+8: Sulzer, Ristolainen. I think we keep 2 extra D-men up.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:58 AM
JLewyB

Ott-CoHo-Vanek-surrounding CoHo with our two most professional forwards who happen to have the best shot on our teqm. I'm also hoping CoHo finds himself defensivly with this line so they can be a good two-way line.

Ennis-Foligno-Stafford-this line again except with Foligno at center. I want Foligno getting dirty in front while Ennis and Stafford throw junk at the net. If I remember right, that line was doing best while Foligno was bullrushing down the middle on the rush. Foligno should do better than Ennis in the faceoff circle as well, helping with possession stats.

Leino-Grig-Flynn/Armia/Tropp: Both Leino and Grig are good in traffic. Pairing them with Flynn will help on defense. I like Flynn's hockey IQ and could work well with Grig's vision and passing to create opportunities others wouldn't see.

Larsson/Scott-Porter-Kaleta-our defensive "shutdown" line while Larsson is in there. Our checking/energy/intimidation line when Scott is in there.

JLewyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:01 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLewyB View Post

Ennis-Foligno-Stafford-this line again except with Foligno at center. I want Foligno getting dirty in front while Ennis and Stafford throw junk at the net. If I remember right, that line was doing best while Foligno was bullrushing down the middle on the rush. Foligno should do better than Ennis in the faceoff circle as well, helping with possession stats.
I don't want to see Foligno as our 2nd line Center, like, ever. I would much rather have Grigorenko developing there or even have Ennis hold that spot until Grigs can take it, but not Foligno. He's not a natural puck carrier, he's a puck hunter and a dirty areas kinda-guy.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford
I like Stafford here better than the other available options. Armia will not be ready for 1st line duties IMO and Stafford is the best RW we have.

Ennis-Grigorenko-Foligno
Heavy O-zone starts like others have stated but with Foligno replacing Stafford to give this line some real sandpaper and hustle. Foligno can chip in with Offensive linemates as we saw at the tail end of '11-'12.

Ott-Larsson-Leino
Good defensive zone and Possesion line. I really think we're going to be impressed with Larsson. He plays a mature game for his age and I see him breaking out sooner rather than later, and Ott+Leino would be the perfect ingredients to achieve that. This is like your prototypical 40pt per player line with very solid defense on top.

Flynn-Porter-Kaleta
Typical energy and grit line with some speed. Flynn and Porter can move up to 2nd or 3rd lines if injuries strike.

Myers-Ehrhoff
I think this top pairing could be in flux more than any other line. I could see Tallinder up here, and I think you could make a very compelling case to put Pysyk and Myers together. I think their styles could compliment each other very very well. In Pysyk I see a young Hank/Numminen type that Myers has excelled with.

Pysyk-Tallinder
Basically the same types of player, very defensively minded with poise and confidence. Hank=Perfect mentor for Pysyk in regards to playstyle.

This last D spot in the top 6 is going to be up for grabs IMO and whoever plays here will have to earn it among a crowded young D-corps.

Good write-up.

The two places I differ are:

- I think Tropp makes the team.

- I think we will carry 14 forwards this year, instead of carrying 8 D. Only six of our D are not exempt from waivers. So if a young D doesn't make the top 6 they will be in Rochester getting lots of ice time.

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:24 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
That line is the fourth best defensive line on the team when it isn't dressing Scott, they'd be getting sheltered, offensively focused minutes. When Ennis and Stafford have lined up together in that role, they've traditionally provided strong secondary scoring regardless of who the third player they're with is (Niedermayer, Connolly, Hecht, Leino, Foligno). Grigorenko would be able to focus entirely on adjusting to the speed of the league and figuring out what he can and can't do, rather than providing offensive creativity for multiple players.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Djp

Quote:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford
Ennis-Grigorenko-Foligno
Ott-Larsson-Leino
Flynn-Porter-Kaleta

I could see a center flip between lines 2 and 3. Ott-Grigs-Leino, Ennis-Larsson-Foligno.

I think only one forward spot can be gotten by Larsson, Armia, Girgensons, and Catenacci. I dont see any staying up if they are having him play on the 4th line. Tropp has to clear waivers to go down IIRC.

With the Defense---if Ristolainen can play in the AHL he is sent down there to play instead of sitting out as a 7th/8th Dman.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I could see a center flip between lines 2 and 3. Ott-Grigs-Leino, Ennis-Larsson-Foligno.

I think only one forward spot can be gotten by Larsson, Armia, Girgensons, and Catenacci. I dont see any staying up if they are having him play on the 4th line. Tropp has to clear waivers to go down IIRC.

With the Defense---if Ristolainen can play in the AHL he is sent down there to play instead of sitting out as a 7th/8th Dman.
To the first bold: The lineup I made really focuses on clearly defined roles for players, because thats how I see Rolston as a coach. So having Ott-Lars-Leino creates a pretty defensively stacked line, at least for a 3rd line. And having Ennis-Grigs-Foligno provides an offensively talented and defensively sheltered line.

Second: I see the defense being very fluid this year with Ron making a lot of changes along the way, giving a lot of the kids chances to play. McNabb, Ruh, Pysyk(less likely), and Risto could all be in and out of the lineup.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Yeah, cant see that happening and if it did, i couldnt stomach the thought.

I think he needs to be with Leino and either Stafford or Ott

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:22 PM
CaptPantalones

my shot at lines:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigs-Staff
Ennis-Larson-Foligno
Flynn-Porter-Kaleta
Tropp-Scott

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:34 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
my shot at lines:

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigs-Staff
Ennis-Larson-Foligno
Flynn-Porter-Kaleta
Tropp-Scott
Why are you putting Ennis on the third line that is going to get pretty bad minutes? Especially with players like Larrson and Foligno who are not exactly known for their offense. You play them to their strengths, Ennis' being offensive creativity. Give him other players that will reciprocate that.

Why do you think Vanek-Roy-Afino was so damn productive years ago? Because it was all offense, they feasted on lesser matchups because their top two lines commanded so much attention. I'm not saying we have a team close to that level, but the philosophy is the same. Put players where they can best succeed, which is with players of similar affinities, unless they are able to carry a line in some aspect.

Not saying that putting dissimilar players together can't work, I've seen it. But when it does work, its because there are very talented players carrying the line either offensively or defensively. Like the Leino-Briere-Hartnell line. Briere carried the line offensively while Leino chipped in offense and some possesion and Hartnell did his thing.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ennis-Hodgson-Vanek (if still here)
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Foligno-Larsson-Stafford
Kaleta-Porter-Flynn
Scott

-

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
JLewyB

how shock would anybody be if we saw all of these line combos at some point in the season?

JLewyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLewyB View Post
how shock would anybody be if we saw all of these line combos at some point in the season?
not shocked at all. I think Ron is going to be veeeerrrry experimental with this team.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Djp

Quote:
To the first bold: The lineup I made really focuses on clearly defined roles for players, because thats how I see Rolston as a coach. So having Ott-Lars-Leino creates a pretty defensively stacked line, at least for a 3rd line. And having Ennis-Grigs-Foligno provides an offensively talented and defensively sheltered line.

Second: I see the defense being very fluid this year with Ron making a lot of changes along the way, giving a lot of the kids chances to play. McNabb, Ruh, Pysyk(less likely), and Risto could all be in and out of the lineup.

I'd prefer to have Risto playing and getting top 4 minutes than riding the bench. I see risto spending the start of the season in rochester then being a Dec/Jan call up.

Ott-Grigs-Leino had something there prior to the past season. Ennis and foligno had some chemistry as well.

If Armia is called up I'd prefer to have him on the same line as Leino. The fact they are both from finland has some measureable value.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:24 PM
umbertovanek

Quote:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford

Ennis-Grigorenko-Foligno

Ott-Larsson-Leino

Flynn-Porter-Kaleta

Myers-Ehrhoff

Pysyk-Tallinder

Those happen to be almost "my" exact lines. Only thing I'd change is have Foligno and Leino trade places. So you'd end up with a more accentuated version of the "first line - sheltered o-zone second line- shutdown third line" - blueprint.

Ennis-Grigorenko-Leino would be soft as butter but also skilled to boot and taking advantage of lesser opponents, whereas
Foligno -Larsson-Ott could be a real pain-in-the-ass shutdown line.
Other than that, I'm good.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote