HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XCVIII: 5tayin' Alive

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 02:30 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Glendale's response to the AG's investigation on alleged Open Meeting violations from the acting city attorney (bottom of article).

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...html#protected

Old
07-27-2013, 07:26 AM
manisback121

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Glendale's response to the AG's investigation on alleged Open Meeting violations from the acting city attorney (bottom of article).

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...html#protected
Now penalties include potential removal from office, a good message.

An even better message would be to disgorge the city of the ill gotten gains connected to jobing and coyotes.

That's right, disgorgment. Now let them duke it out over whether there's a public policy interest to restrict insurance coverage.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Mayor Jerry Weiers met with the hockey executives at 9 a.m. Bowers was next at 10 a.m. Vice Mayor Yvonne Knaack and Councilman Ian Hugh went at 11 a.m. Council members Sam Chavira, Manny Martinez and Gary Sherwood followed at noon.
Councilwoman Norma Alvarez was invited to the 11 a.m. meeting, but declined to attend and later criticized her colleagues for agreeing to meet with the hockey executives.
Hmm, Manny, Gary, and Sam all together, maybe this is when the NHL and Manny/Gary convinced Sam to jump ship from the No team to keeping the club.

They cornered him and tortured him raw until they broke him.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Hmm, Manny, Gary, and Sam all together, maybe this is when the NHL and Manny/Gary convinced Sam to jump ship from the No team to keeping the club.

They cornered him and tortured him raw until they broke him.

As many have noted, there is no way that the NHL Executives (Bettman and Daly) would have flown down for the fateful council meeting if they didn't know that the lease agreement would pass. Also, they would likely not have put together their financing plan for RSE unless they knew that they had the $15 million in the bag from the COG. It seems logical to conclude that the purpose of these meetings was for the NHL and RSE to determine whether the majority of council members supported the lease agreement.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Hawker14

So this is the make it or break it week for the latest group of "potential" owners ... can they succeed where Hulsizer failed ? Finding enough nickels in their sofas for their equity contribution - $45m ?

If they can't close, I bet it will be the government of Canada's fault for taking the penny out of circulation ... Otherwise RSE might have had enough.

Next ownership group, please.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
So this is the make it or break it week for the latest group of "potential" owners ... can they succeed where Hulsizer failed ? Finding enough nickels in their sofas for their equity contribution - $45m ?

If they can't close, I bet it will be the government of Canada's fault for taking the penny out of circulation ... Otherwise RSE might have had enough.

Next ownership group, please.
No way that happens, dude.

It'd be a disaster and mess of epic proportions.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...-meetings.html

Who's idea was it to break into little groups? Was it the NHL, RSE, the Mayor, lawyers for the city? Just curious. Someone had to have come up with the idea and that someone knew it had to be done this way or you would have to follow protocol. Someone got up and said " you know, we can't meet like this, we will have to meet in small groups"

Old
07-27-2013, 09:52 AM
hisgirlfriday

From the article:

Quote:
The group included NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, other top NHL executives, and prospective Coyotes buyers George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc.
Why was Gosbee at these secret meetings but not at the city council meeting when the thing was actually publicly voted upon? These secret meetings would have been taking place in the more immediate aftermath of the Calgary floods, his stated reason for not being at the city council vote.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...-meetings.html

Who's idea was it to break into little groups? Was it the NHL, RSE, the Mayor, lawyers for the city? Just curious. Someone had to have come up with the idea and that someone knew it had to be done this way or you would have to follow protocol. Someone got up and said " you know, we can't meet like this, we will have to meet in small groups"
Now, now... that's a bit cynical. I'm sure that it was much more innocent than that. They tried to schedule meetings with the visiting delegation but due to prior commitments they could only meet in small groups, sequentially. I'm sure that's the innocent explanation.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:06 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
From the article:

Why was Gosbee at these secret meetings but not at the city council meeting when the thing was actually publicly voted upon? These secret meetings would have been taking place in the more immediate aftermath of the Calgary floods, his stated reason for not being at the city council vote.
The meetings took place in late May, nearly a month prior to the floods.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Is there a reason the latest group of charlatan's hasn't closed on this fantastic NHL opportunity in the desert or is August 4th still the mystical date when snow fairy's fly in with heaping bags of Canadian loonies.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Thats a good question, requiring speculation . Here we have City Attorney Nick DiPiazza stating he's conducted an investigation post event, interviewed Council Members, claims there wasnt any wrongdoing, breaches of the Open Meeting Laws when in fact entirely possible his office had been involved & consulted prior to these "get togethers". Sort of like a Police Department investigating itself when a public complaints received so it is possible the Glendale Attorneys Offices were actually the very architects in structuring these get togethers in the manner that they did.

At minimum Weiers & Sherwood would have to have been complicit, as per request's made by the NHL & RSE that these meetings not be subject to public disclosure. Maybe it was Sherwood's creation as clearly he was the real driver here. Must have considered the ramifications & repercussions should anyone file complaints with the AG's offices and figured "no problem, toothless act, easily s'plained away, so what & whats the worst that could happen? Big dealeo. Prove it". Didnt think anyone actually would file a complaint. Got everyone else to go along with it, rational, valid reasons on a couple of levels for doing so. However, that it was pre-meditated, orchestrated & by public officials, no way no how does it pass the smell test. The AG's office I guess could issue little more than what it has, reminding everyone of the rules, public rebuke and thats it. Similar to what the Ombudsmen's Offices in Hamilton did when members of that cities Council met with an Edmonton Oilers executive and actually failed to even report it. When spotted by members of the public having breakfast together in a hotel, questioned, asked what that was all about as the city was then in the midst of an RFP with Katz bidding, claimed it was just a casual cup of coffee. Cant imagine it'll derail a closing, little more than a mosquito bite.

Last edited by Killion: 07-27-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old
07-27-2013, 11:19 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Is there a reason the latest group of charlatan's hasn't closed on this fantastic NHL opportunity in the desert or is August 4th still the mystical date when snow fairy's fly in with heaping bags of Canadian loonies.
Early August it is closing. That has been known since it passed the CoG vote. I cant wait for the close so people can stop asking this question as if something else is holding it up.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:23 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I recall that discussion here two years ago when the Jets played their first game at Glendale. Special charters...... Jets fans were going to come down and take over jobing.com..... etc. Reality was..... despite a good turnout, it didn't end up "packed" with Jets fans.

Good turnout with a GREAT GAME.... What was it 5-1 Yotes?

Old
07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
It's between the Jets @ Yotes, Jets @ Kings, or Jets @ Lightning for us, not sure I would pass up LA or Tampa Bay to go to Glendale though, considering it will take over an hour from my new Condo to get to the rink

Yeah I got it What do you take me for an overweight opinionated armchair GM? Well maybe the last two, but definitely not overweight

I never said you were opinionated or an armchair GM!

Old
07-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Good turnout with a GREAT GAME.... What was it 5-1 Yotes?
.... As Conn Smythe was fond of saying, "cant beat em in the alley, wont beat em on the ice".

Old
07-27-2013, 11:30 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
Early August it is closing. That has been known since it passed the CoG vote. I cant wait for the close so people can stop asking this question as if something else is holding it up.
sorry, i guess i missed it ... what is the reason for the hold up then?

are you suggesting it is simply a matter of hundreds of pages of eyes to cross and tees to dot and/or noone involved has ever had any intention of closing one minute prior to the 8-4 deadline?

Old
07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
Pretty much my assumption, cant speak for anyone else but ya, the Attorneys hafta have at er', a lot of paperwork involved in so complex an agreement & sale along with allowing for a 30 day period of grace pursuant to challenges be it by Referendum or from whatever quarter.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:59 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:

are you suggesting it is simply a matter of hundreds of pages of eyes to cross and tees to dot and/or noone involved has ever had any intention of closing one minute prior to the 8-4 deadline?
And the referendum period expiring. All bases covered. Full steam ahead. Do or die.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:

IMO this date was chosen as it is past the referendum date. On the fourth RSE will know if there was a petition submitted.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Thats a good question, requiring speculation . Here we have City Attorney Nick DiPiazza stating he's conducted an investigation post event, interviewed Council Members, claims there wasnt any wrongdoing, breaches of the Open Meeting Laws when in fact entirely possible his office had been involved & consulted prior to these "get togethers". Sort of like a Police Department investigating itself when a public complaints received so it is possible the Glendale Attorneys Offices were actually the very architects in structuring these get togethers in the manner that they did.

At minimum Weiers & Sherwood would have to have been complicit, as per request's made by the NHL & RSE that these meetings not be subject to public disclosure. Maybe it was Sherwood's creation as clearly he was the real driver here. Must have considered the ramifications & repercussions should anyone file complaints with the AG's offices and figured "no problem, toothless act, easily s'plained away, so what & whats the worst that could happen? Big dealeo. Prove it". Didnt think anyone actually would file a complaint. Got everyone else to go along with it, rational, valid reasons on a couple of levels for doing so. However, that it was pre-meditated, orchestrated & by public officials, no way no how does it pass the smell test. The AG's office I guess could issue little more than what it has, reminding everyone of the rules, public rebuke and thats it. Similar to what the Ombudsmen's Offices in Hamilton did when members of that cities Council met with an Edmonton Oilers executive and actually failed to even report it. When spotted by members of the public having breakfast together in a hotel, questioned, asked what that was all about as the city was then in the midst of an RFP with Katz bidding, claimed it was just a casual cup of coffee. Cant imagine it'll derail a closing, little more than a mosquito bite.
Peaberry, no doubt, and about the size of the bite.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Peaberry, no doubt, and about the size of the bite.
Just a nibble. Not a chomp.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
I never said you were opinionated or an armchair GM!

No you didn't, but I am! No harm no foul.

So the NHL and RSE came to meet with the CoG members prior to a vote. Interesting how they needed to have a meet & greet when they already met previously when LeBlanc was soliciting the team two years ago.

I'm not saying this has any impact on the deal at hand (unless the council members lose their seats), but the closed meeting seem awfully shady. If they truly had nothing to hide why not make it a public meeting? Why hide it from the public? The NHL has been through this before in Glendale, they know Arizona laws. Why try to skirt it?

Old
07-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
IMO this date was chosen as it is past the referendum date. On the fourth RSE will know if there was a petition submitted.
I think that resolution passed by the COG only comes into effect after 30 days, since it wasn't passed as an emergency. I think it is to be expected that the closing would be at least 30 days after the council meeting. I expect this to close in early August and the Coyotes will be off to the races.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I expect this to close in early August and the Coyotes will be off to the races.
So. v-bucks Whileee. Gotta be good for somethin right? We really should visit that page/board, talk to Admin over there, might be fun huh? Over/under. When does RSE start demanding minimums on ST's subscriptions etc? Seriously. We should expand the field here. Broaden our horizons.

Closed Thread