HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Chris Johnston: NHL to open European office by 2015, More NHL Games in Europe?

Old
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
saffronleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
So, you want to turn the Stanley Cup into a second rate trophy. No way.
I wouldn't mind keeping the Stanley Cup as an NHL championship title. I don't think European leagues, for the time being, can compete anyways because the NHL is the best league in terms of talent.

But even if (or when) the KHL grows and becomes a truly pan-European league that can compete with the NHL, I still wouldn't mind keeping the Stanley Cup as an NHL championship title. That's what the Stanley Cup has been for most of its existence. There's an allure to the trophy and it is an integral part of the NHL. Even when there were those awesome Soviet teams and what not, I haven't really care that they couldn't compete for the Stanley Cup. It's our (NA's) cup.

I'd rather that they establish a unique trophy for the Champions League (or whatever you want to call a tournament wherein the best NHL teams and KHL/Euro-league teams compete.

Last edited by saffronleaf: 07-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.
saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:58 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I wouldn't mind keeping the Stanley Cup as an NHL championship title. I don't think European leagues, for the time being, can compete anyways because the NHL is the best league in terms of talent.

But even if (or when) the KHL grows and becomes a truly pan-European league that can compete with the NHL, I still wouldn't mind keeping the Stanley Cup as an NHL championship title. That's what the Stanley Cup has been for most of its existence. There's an allure to the trophy and it is an integral part of the NHL. Even when there were those awesome Soviet teams and what not, I haven't really care that they couldn't compete for the Stanley Cup. It's our (NA's) cup.

I'd rather that they establish a unique trophy for the Champions League (or whatever you want to call a tournament wherein the best NHL teams and KHL/Euro-league teams compete.
My point is that once you have the Stanley Cup champion play someone else for another trophy, the Stanley Cup becomes a second rate trophy -- it effectively becomes the equivalent of what the Prince of Wales and Campbell trophies are today.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:12 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 547
Quote:
My point is that once you have the Stanley Cup champion play someone else for another trophy, the Stanley Cup becomes a second rate trophy -- it effectively becomes the equivalent of what the Prince of Wales and Campbell trophies are today.
I don't know about that: Soccer clubs don't seem to care less when they win the Premier League and don't win the Champions League.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:19 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Given the apparent mandate that every team must play overseas once during the current CBA, I'd think that the league may have worked out some generic formula for their compensation for giving up a home game, or made that the cost to each team for going once. Will have to check the CBA to see if there are details.
Without any links readily at hand: Under the past CBA media articles said that the NHL reimbursed each of the teams for a lost preseason home game as if they had sold out their arena plus an unspecified extra amount to cover the inconvenience.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I don't know about that: Soccer clubs don't seem to care less when they win the Premier League and don't win the Champions League.
Exactly.

There are tons of examples where the 'qualifying criteria' for one title is infinitely more important than whatever title is 'technically' bigger.

The UEFA Champions League is still the most important club title, regardless of the fact that the FIFA Club World Cup exists. The European Cup isn't devalued because the Confederations Cup exists. The UEFA Super Cup doesn't supersede the Champions League, the Charity Shield doesn't supersede the FA Cup, or the League Title.

This perspective of 'de-valuing' a trophy because of a different level of international competition is a uniquely North American thing. Games can't just happen for the sake of competition to people with this insulated mind frame.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I think there would be much less interest in North America. Perhaps they should try to entice the SC champs by reducing their pre-season schedule by 3-4 games and the general interest by having the tournament played in a hybrid rink?
Depends tho... Some teams like the Habs/Leafs have 8 pre-season games and force their ticket holders to buy all the home ones at full price. It would be a significant revenue loss.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Depends tho... Some teams like the Habs/Leafs have 8 pre-season games and force their ticket holders to buy all the home ones at full price. It would be a significant revenue loss.
Notice I was talking about SC champs.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

The UEFA Champions League is still the most important club title, regardless of the fact that the FIFA Club World Cup exists.
Does the Euro champion actually show starters up to this FIFA club world cup or do they send their 3rd stringers to play their opposition?

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Does the Euro champion actually show starters up to this FIFA club world cup or do they send their 3rd stringers to play their opposition?
Im pretty sure they send the whole first team, but as far as who actually sees the field, it is usually a hodge-podge of young guys and older veterans. They don't field their A-team, but they aren't throwing up the youth squad like its a pre-season tour of North America either.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
By an office in Europe do they actually mean a head office like in New York?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
By an office in Europe do they actually mean a head office like in New York?

I doubt it would be something that extensive. The NY office runs the entire league. Last tax return I saw had roughly $75-80 million in operating expenses, inclusive of salaries.

It would probably be a commercial branch.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Brodie
voted best

I think it'll be analogous to the NFL or NBA's offices.

http://www.nba.com/global/uk/nba_lon...ce_070516.html

Quote:
the office, which is planned to open this summer, will focus on grassroots and business development efforts in Great Britain and throughout Europe.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
I doubt it would be something that extensive. The NY office runs the entire league. Last tax return I saw had roughly $75-80 million in operating expenses, inclusive of salaries.

It would probably be a commercial branch.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Something that makes it easier for fans to get in touch with the NHL and able to sell things to the fans and bring it closer to them.

If they open it in the London I might apply to work there just for the hell of it.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Brodie
voted best

I'm pretty confident it'll be in London

Old
07-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Obviously I'd guess there'd be a news item about it but do you think it'd be something they advertise for people to work there. Unless they have representatives that are working in America and willing to move over.

I'm thinking into this too much.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:32 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Pfff, Gothenburg.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Franck
En enda känsla...

Quote:
Would be pretty poorly planned if that turns out to be the case. A European NHL office should reasonably be in a hockey city on the continent (like Berlin or Zurich), closer to the relevant media companies, sponsors, the IIHF and potential employees rather than a city that's both culturally and geographically isolated from the big European hockey markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Pfff, Gothenburg.
Well, it is little London after all!

Last edited by Franck: 07-27-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Brodie
voted best

MLB, the NBA and the NFL all have their European offices in London. Most American companies have their European head offices in the UK. I doubt there's any actual fiscal benefit for opening up an office in a more provincial city just because it's a "hockey city"... if that were a concern, the league would still be based in Montreal.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
MLB, the NBA and the NFL all have their European offices in London.
Yes. London. Makes a lot more sense, far more prestigious than say... Paris for example.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Would be pretty poorly planned if that turns out to be the case. A European NHL office should reasonably be in a hockey city on the continent (like Berlin or Zurich), closer to the relevant media companies, sponsors, the IIHF and potential employees rather than a city that's both culturally and geographically isolated from the big European hockey markets.

Well, it is little London after all!

If HF is any indicator, Germany gives us the most traffic out of the European countries. I know the leagues there don't get as much attention as the Swedish, Finnish or Russian ones do, but they seem to like hockey there.

That said, Brodie is probably right that the NHL would follow suit (as they always do) and do what the NBA or NFL did.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Bonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Without any links readily at hand: Under the past CBA media articles said that the NHL reimbursed each of the teams for a lost preseason home game as if they had sold out their arena plus an unspecified extra amount to cover the inconvenience.
Wow, that's a ton of money. I don't really get the NHL playing in Europe, but obviously it does minimize the impact if someone is willing to take a financial bath to have two teams play in their rink in Europe.

How many fans do they really win over with these games, and more importantly for the NHL, how much money does it make them long term? They can't go to games regularly because they live 5,000 miles away, and they can't booster the Neilsens because, well, they live 5,000 miles away and games start after midnight their time.

Plus, why does the players' union go for this when there's no financial reward for the players and it further taxes them unnecessarily?

Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:41 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk View Post
Plus, why does the players' union go for this when there's no financial reward for the players and it further taxes them unnecessarily?
I'd assume it's because it increases the customer base for the NHL which increases revenues which increases the players' share of the pool.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Franck
En enda känsla...

Quote:
MLB, the NBA and the NFL all have their European offices in London. Most American companies have their European head offices in the UK. I doubt there's any actual fiscal benefit for opening up an office in a more provincial city just because it's a "hockey city"... if that were a concern, the league would still be based in Montreal.
The businesses that'd actually be willing to give the NHL significant amounts of money, be it as rights holders, sponsors or event organisers aren't based in the UK though. Most of them are in the German-speaking part of Europe.

The NHL has it's head office in New York because that's where the money is in North America, as far as hockey is concerned the European money isn't in London.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Franck
En enda känsla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk View Post
How many fans do they really win over with these games, and more importantly for the NHL, how much money does it make them long term? They can't go to games regularly because they live 5,000 miles away, and they can't booster the Neilsens because, well, they live 5,000 miles away and games start after midnight their time.
International broadcast rights are a potential goldmine for the NHL. The noon and afternoon weekend games are played during European prime time and Europe is littered with premium sports networks willing to part with good money for new content should there be a demand.

Then there's merchandise sales, page hits for NHL.com, GameCentre subscriptions, sponsorship and the income from the games themselves. The Florida Panthers would never be able to charge $120+ for nosebleed tickets at the BB&T Center but send them to Stockholm to face the Rangers or Red Wings and they'll sell out multiple nights at that price.

Quote:
Because people like to travel to new places. And because much of the NHLPA is European. And because they have no choice.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

vCash: 1600
Quote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...the-beginning/

The live game distribution in Europe has been promised for a long time now, but not sure how much better it is today. Our European readers can perhaps update us.

Secondly, interesting to note that every NHL team has to make one trip to Europe before the current CBA expires. Not sure if it was the teams themselves controlling who gets to go.
I thought it was "every team who gets asked by the NHL to play a game in Europe" has to play there at least once during the course of this CBA and not every team has to play there.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote