HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jets re-sign Blake Wheeler (6 years/33.6 M - 5.6 M cap hit)

Old
07-28-2013, 01:51 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 500
Decent payment but thought 2 years would be all he wants. Contract could go either way depending on Wheeler but I think he can be at the VERY least a 50-60 point forward. Surprised he took the long contract, thought he'd take a short one and then leave.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:43 AM
Derp Kassian

This guys a monster easily a 30-30 guy as soon as WPG gets better. Maybe even a 40g season or two in his future. Huge and skates like the wind.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:54 AM
hlaverty06

Good contract for a guy who'll be a 35-30 type guy

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:39 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Decent payment but thought 2 years would be all he wants. Contract could go either way depending on Wheeler but I think he can be at the VERY least a 50-60 point forward. Surprised he took the long contract, thought he'd take a short one and then leave.
Because?

It's a rhetorical question of course, given the dislike for Winnipeg.

Some quotes from Wheeler from http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679033 that suggest some players don't mind playing in Winnipeg:

Quote:
For me, it was virtually a no-brainer. I sat down with my agent this spring. I looked him in the eyes and said, 'This is where I want to be,'" Wheeler said Saturday during a conference call. "I believe we have what it takes to get to the next level. This is just part of that process. I really, truly believe that great things are in store for this group.
Quote:
I kept in touch with a lot of my teammates. They were curious as to what was going on," Wheeler said. "I definitely talked to [Bogosian] and [Little]. We were all in the same boat, wanting to make Winnipeg our long-term home. Now that [Little] and I have accomplished that, hopefully [Bogosian] is soon to follow.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Stej

Quote:
Your last sentence is just an absolute shocker.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Matthew McConaughey
Registered Hoosier

Hockey players love to play in vibrant hockey markets. They always have, and they always will. Premiums are more likely to be paid to get a quality player in a dead southern market than you would in Canada IMO.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:12 AM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life14 View Post
Taylor Hall at 6 per sure looks good right now
Let's wait and see what you will be paying Hall for his first five years of UFA.

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:08 AM
jw2

Wow... I'm more shocked that anyone thinks this is a good deal. Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch!

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:15 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Wow... I'm more shocked that anyone thinks this is a good deal. Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch!
Why? Details? Are you basing that on Wheeler's time in Boston?

Old
07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
The Finnish Forehead
Lay Down For Laine

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss

The Finnish Forehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:49 AM
jw2

Typical hf defenders.

I didnt say anything about the player. But thats a horrible contract. But, i guess you need to pay that to get someone to play for that team.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Boreal

I'm surprised any NHL player is even willing to play road games in Winnipeg. The fact that Wheeler signed for six years is shocking.

The Jets certainly did not get a 'deal', but i do not believed they overpaid in any meaningful way. Wheeler is a legitimate top-line RW in the NHL. He is perhaps the most important piece of one of the better lines in hockey. Barring injuries I expect that line to continue to produce, and Wheeler should settle in as a 60-70 point player for much of this deal (assuming he plays 82 a year). Also, there are not many 6'5 wingers with high end scoring touch and excellent skating ability kicking around in the NHL. You have to pay for rare commodities.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:03 AM
GoJetsGo55

vCash: 109
Quote:
Typical hf defenders.

I didnt say anything about the player. But thats a horrible contract. But, i guess you need to pay that to get someone to play for that team.
LOL. So nothing to back up your statement except for a quick troll?

Solid argument.

GoJetsGo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:46 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Typical hf defenders.

Typical HF attacker: is politely asked a simple question to further the discussion, and instead responds with a non-sequitur.

I'm actually curious, if you'd care to elaborate: why do you think this is a bad contract?

Old
07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Let's wait and see what you will be paying Hall for his first five years of UFA.
I'm pretty sure they have Hall @ 6 Mill for 3 years of UFA within his current contract.
Hall's is a great contract precisely because of the UFA years they captured in a potential superstar.
Wheeler, although a tier down from Hall, is still a top 10-15 RW with intangibles and they captured 4 of his UFA years at 5.6 million.
Hall gets the edge in both talent and contract in this contest, but it's close-- they are both very, very good.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:20 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3z4r View Post
Pacioretty's 104 points in 123 games vs Wheeler's 105 points in 128 games is worth 1.1 million?

You're comparing Karlsson's totals to Wheeler's?

Edit: Btw, I like the contract and I think it's extremely good value for Wheeler, maybe 200 or 300k overpaid atm but it's worth it for UFA years when he would have gotten at least 6 mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terex View Post
And Crosby has 93 points in 58 games. What a silly way to make a point.

I think he's a little overpaid, but not by much and it bought out most of his prime UFA years. The Jets will be fine.
Again, as I said in the next post, that's not a list of players that Wheeler is necessarily more valuable than or even paid less than. It was entirely aimed at people who don't realize Wheeler is an above average first-liner. And yes, Pacioretty took a big discount for the team. And yes, a player remaining healthy enough to contribute to his team for most of the season is important. And no, I'm not saying Crosby/Spezza/etc. aren't still more important to their respective teams, just that there is additional value to the team when a player doesn't get hurt a lot. Don't try to read more into that than "here's a list of top players that Wheeler has outscored over the last 2 years, maybe people should realize he IS a top player."

Quote:
Maybe he likes playing in an arena full of adoring, cheering fans rather than what appears to be a dull business conference with a strict dress code and harsh unrealistic media coverage?

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:48 AM
ducky

I guess I was nave thinking the AMAZING response by Winnipeg hockey fans - you know the ones that rallied to sell out their arena in record time for multiple years to guarantee getting a team AND have created one of the most exciting environments to play in the NHL - would have minimized the crap spewed about the team/city.

Lame comments like having to over pay to "get someone to play for that team" keep coming.

If one wanted to you could probably find reasons to NOT want to play in pretty much every market in the NHL...

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I'm pretty sure they have Hall @ 6 Mill for 3 years of UFA within his current contract.
Hall's is a great contract precisely because of the UFA years they captured in a potential superstar.
Wheeler, although a tier down from Hall, is still a top 10-15 RW with intangibles and they captured 4 of his UFA years at 5.6 million.
Hall gets the edge in both talent and contract in this contest, but it's close-- they are both very, very good.
Wheeler would've been a UFA next summer, so they captured 5 UFA years and only 1 RFA year. You pay a premium for that.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Wheeler would've been a UFA next summer, so they captured 5 UFA years and only 1 RFA year. You pay a premium for that.
Thanks for the correction. It further underlines the point that both contracts, in their own ways, are very good and, in Wheeler's case, highly economical relative to the UFA marketplace that will exist for players of his calibre in the next 6 years.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:41 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
So I'm curious, to the people that don't like this contract, what is a player that produced in the top third of 1st liners worth? He produced 30th amongst forwards for the past 2 years, yet his contract is 42nd almongst forwards. Also consider there's an ELC in front of him (Kadri) and a few contracts at the same pt production with only a year left.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:04 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
Quote:
Typical hf defenders.

Really? Really?

Have you even been to Winnipeg?

First season he puts up 62points...next season he is second in points to Ladd and outs a near PPG and leads the team on goals. In what universe is this a bad contract?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Puckschmuck*

Quote:
Decent payment but thought 2 years would be all he wants.
Sorry, but your hate for Winnipeg blinds you from reality.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Puckschmuck*

Quote:
But, i guess you need to pay that to get someone to play for that team.
Typical HF Hater, but I guess you need to make random drive-by bashing comments to make you feel important in life.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:31 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Jets will regret this big time
I really appreciated the well-thought analysis.

Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Really? Are you being serious? It's worse than Dipietro's or Yashin's or Bryz's or Leino's?
Reading the whole post you're responding to is your friend.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Didn't they buy the first three?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote