HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colby Armstrong to Vaxjo (SHL)

Old
07-28-2013, 04:39 AM
timmeh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Maybe this is a stupid American thing, but the girl on that site doesn't say vek-SCHOE. It sounds like ve-KWAH.

but then you have this one, and it sounds completely different. It sounds like what you're saying. http://www.pronouncehow.com/english/vaxjo_pronunciation

I'm really confused.
It's Vek-Schoe. Ve-kwah is really wrong.

Just noticed this guy almost scored a point per game once upon a time...

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Just noticed this guy almost scored a point per game once upon a time...
That one year his center was Crosby...

Army was a pretty good 3rd liner back then, lots of hustle and hard hits but hands of stone. Good, popular teammate too. But he was always too light for the physical style he preferred and over the years his body has broken down.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Maybe this is a stupid American thing, but the girl on that site doesn't say vek-SCHOE. It sounds like ve-KWAH.

but then you have this one, and it sounds completely different. It sounds like what you're saying. http://www.pronouncehow.com/english/vaxjo_pronunciation

I'm really confused.
If I were you I'd just take us native swedes word for how you say it.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:07 PM
varano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyHF View Post
Im curious what happened to this guy. Was it just the injuries or something else? Seemed to produce pretty well up to 08-09.
Made of glass

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Shares my birthday. Therefore, good guy.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyHF View Post
My thoughts as well. Just wondered how he became so slow and non-physical. I thought he was the kind of guy who would stand up for his teammates and hit everything that moves.
Armstrong only throws the occasional high-light reel hit but otherwise passes up most other opportunities to finish checks.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Shares my birthday. Therefore, good guy.

I always liked Armstrong. I didn't think he was bad enough to not stay in the NHL. Perhaps some posters are right and he couldn't get a one-way? If not, he could have chosen to settle for more money overseas than on a two-way here, with the possibility of ending up in the minors. I suppose he didn't want to take that chance and got up and left.

I can see him coming back. I still thought he was a decent fourth-liner. He's been injured a lot though and he's nothing like he used to be. Years ago he had a ton of potential but never hit it. Injuries played a big part in it.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I spent 6 months in Vaxjo back in the day - nice little town. Good old Småland. They had Oesters soccer, but I don't remember a hockey team there....

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
If I were you I'd just take us native swedes word for how you say it.
The concern was that the "vek-kweh" one was supposedly from a Swede as well. I wasn't saying that I disagreed with how I should say it, though. I mostly was looking for some plausible reason as to why one person would say "vek-schoe" and the other "vek-kweh." I mean, she went so far as to upload it to a site about pronunciation.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
The concern was that the "vek-kweh" one was supposedly from a Swede as well. I wasn't saying that I disagreed with how I should say it, though. I mostly was looking for some plausible reason as to why one person would say "vek-schoe" and the other "vek-kweh." I mean, she went so far as to upload it to a site about pronunciation.
I just listened to the thing you linked, and I'm not 100% sure what I am listening to. It does not resemble any swedish word or name.

And checking your link again, it's apparantly how you're supposed to pronnounce it if you're english, to make it easier, not the actual way to say it, in which case I advice just not to say it at all because noone here will understand what you're trying to say.

Bottom line: someone linked this before in the thread, and it's the way you say it. http://www.forvo.com/word/v%C3%A4xj%C3%B6/

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:07 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

His last good year was his first season in Toronto. I remember he started off the year slow and got injured, but when he came back later he made a pretty big impact and was scoring at a solid 40 pt pace. Even though our PK sucked him and Bozak were the two who could kill them effectively together.

After that, he got injured again and again and his body completely broke down. Couldn't skate, shoot, hit or really provide any value anymore.

I think he hit an ultimate low point when he got his ass kicked by Dennis Seidenberg and effectively injured after that fight. That was hard to watch.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote