HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Travis Zajac

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2013, 10:29 AM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

vCash: 500
This thread just shows how many people only watch Zajac when their team is playing the Devils.

Was he overpaid with his extension? Cant judge that on a crappy season not played under it.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:43 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

How come this contract is considered bad by most of you, but Dustin Brown's contract is considered good?

Brown averages 0.61 points per game and 0.62 in the playoffs.
Zajac averages 0.58 points per game and 0.5 in the playoffs.

So Brown is better offensively, but Zajac is better defensively. Plus he's a center. Both players have identical contracts.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
When do they present the "nearly won a cup" award?

Flyers almost won the cup with Michael Leighton in net. One goal away.

Ravens won the superbowl with Trent Dilfer at QB.

please comment.
this thread is not debating whether or not Michael Leighton is a #1 goalie or Trent Dilfer was a true #1 QB though. so I am not sure what teh hell those things have to do with anything as they are completely different situations.

but nice deflection.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:29 PM
eco's bones

The thing with elite 1st liners is every team focuses on them. They put out their best defense pair--they put out defensively responisible forwards--often big gritty ones. The really elite players manage to put up numbers anyway. A legit 1st liner still has to be watched very closely but it's not quite the same. If the Devils have such an animal it's Elias and he's going to have a rough go next year because really there's no other player on their roster worthy of being called a 1st line player and Patick is old.

Zajac might get first line ice time but that doesn't make him a legit 1st liner. He needs to put up some points and 45 is really, really low for a top line center man. It pretty much guarantees you'll be on the outside looking in when the playoffs come around. He'll need to get back to 60 anyway--somewhere he hasn't been close to in the last 3 years. Then going forward he's going to have to continue year after year to put up 60 points again and again to make that contract worthwhile. Elias is 37. Odds are very strong he's not going to be around for all of the next 8 years--odds are also that sometime in the near future his game is going to go down a level or two. Zajac has never really been the offensive catalyst on any line he's played on--it's always been someone else. What makes some Devils fans think he's all of a sudden going to take the bull by the horns and become a real offensive leader when the quality of the wings he's playing with is getting worse not better?--or that Zajac is going to be putting up even 50 point seasons by the time he's 34? 35? 36?--when his contract finally expires.

I don't why Dustin Brown all of a sudden comes into this argument either. He is a power forward winger--a poor man's Lucic in the physical game but Lucic is a poor man's Brown in the scoring department. I'd wager that given the choice of one of Brown, Lucic, Zajac--Zajac would come in way behind the other two.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
by the way I don't think any one Devils (aside from PSEG guy) fan called Zajac an undisputed #1 center in this thread. so I am not sure why taht keeps getting brought up.

however, he IS the Devils' #1 center.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:53 PM
The Green Unit

Besides Kovalchuk double shifted, the Devils had a top 6 more than a 1st and a 2nd line.

Pretty obvious here

Old
07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
JimEIV

I love Zajac but defending his point production is losing battle...it hasn't been up to par.
That being said, people have to look at the circumstances. It has been a very difficult 3 years for New Jersey and Travis. Between injuries and bad teams where literally every single Devil's player production suffered in the last 2 of 3 years looking at point production and trying to make an absolute claim is not a complete picture.

2 of the last 3 seasons in New Jersey have been 2 of the worst in the last 25 years...so when you have a team where Ilya Kovalchuk is barely scoring 60 points in a full season, Travis Zajac's 44 points suddenly don't look so out of line in that context.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Besides Kovalchuk double shifted, the Devils had a top 6 more than a 1st and a 2nd line.

Pretty obvious here
Kovalchuk had almost twice the ice time even strength than Bernier did and scored half the goals Bernier did 5v5 and people wonder why Zajac's numbers suffered in the last 3 seasons...lol.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
So tell us what you think. What's his trade value? Is he a No. 1 center or not? Does he deserve that contract?
Never presented my opinion.. just was pointing out that you have no clue what you're talking about, given that you don't even have a grasp of the relevant facts.

His trade value is irrelevant. He's not getting traded. He's too valuable to the Devils.

Is he a #1 center? Borderline right now. Is he a very good #2, yes. Can he be a good #1, yes. He's shown that.

Does he deserve that contract? I said on day 1 (last year, mind you.. the contract wasn't signed after this season as you think) that it was probably .750k too high. 8 years 5M would have been fair market value for him. Would I really care to lose the guy over 750k? Nah. Said the same thing about Clarkson. Valued him around 4M, was willing to go up to around 4.5M. There's an area where overpaying to retain a player is palatable.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:29 PM
The Green Unit

Break out the champagne Jim

Old
07-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreene06 View Post
How come this contract is considered bad by most of you, but Dustin Brown's contract is considered good?

Brown averages 0.61 points per game and 0.62 in the playoffs.
Zajac averages 0.58 points per game and 0.5 in the playoffs.

So Brown is better offensively, but Zajac is better defensively. Plus he's a center. Both players have identical contracts.
I don't think Zajac is better than Brown defensively, I'd say it's a wash.
Brown is the captain of a Stanley Cup winning team.
Brown is much more physical than Zajac.

Not a huge difference, but it can certainly shape someones opinion on the contracts.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:38 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Brown is the captain of a Stanley Cup winning team.
Brown is much more physical than Zajac.

Not a huge difference, but it can certainly shape someones opinion on the contracts.
Zajac is substantially better than Brown defensively..

Selke voting/actually watching games indicates that quite easily.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:55 PM
The Green Unit

Feel free to disagree but Zajac is a top 10-15 defensive forward in the league IMO.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:59 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Just no.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Hate to break it to you, but being a first line center means you have to put up points. All those excuses you gave are fine for a 3rd line center, maybe even a second. But legit first line centers put up points. If your first line center puts up 45 points, that is garbage. He would make an excellent third line center.
On your fantasy league team.

No, Frans Neilsen is a third-line NHL center, albeit a waif of one at that. Not Travis Zajac.

But, alas, one's team makes a short, cameo playoff appearance in a shortented season and you suddenly can rip a guy who had 1st line minutes on a Cup Finalist one spring ago.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Never presented my opinion.. just was pointing out that you have no clue what you're talking about, given that you don't even have a grasp of the relevant facts.

His trade value is irrelevant. He's not getting traded. He's too valuable to the Devils.

Is he a #1 center? Borderline right now. Is he a very good #2, yes. Can he be a good #1, yes. He's shown that.

Does he deserve that contract? I said on day 1 (last year, mind you.. the contract wasn't signed after this season as you think) that it was probably .750k too high. 8 years 5M would have been fair market value for him. Would I really care to lose the guy over 750k? Nah. Said the same thing about Clarkson. Valued him around 4M, was willing to go up to around 4.5M. There's an area where overpaying to retain a player is palatable.
Really I don't ever really know how to approach experts on anything. Usually experts tend to be somewhat self anointed. So when someone comes to me and tells me they are the keepers of the 'relevant facts'--then I begin to wonder how much they really do know. It is a hell of a claim. You get first prize for chutzpah today.

Zajac--No. 1 center--if you're happy with that I'm happy for you. A good first line center. If you say so.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1136
I put his value somewhere between Patrice Bergeron and Sam Gagner.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Man Bear Pig

A great defensive center holds value. I'd love to have Zajac here, problem is, he's not enough of an upgrade offensively to justify giving up significant pieces for him. Just not enough offense to be considered a first line center.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:50 PM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
On your fantasy league team.

No, Frans Neilsen is a third-line NHL center, albeit a waif of one at that. Not Travis Zajac.

But, alas, one's team makes a short, cameo playoff appearance in a shortented season and you suddenly can rip a guy who had 1st line minutes on a Cup Finalist one spring ago.
Frans Nielsen is a third liner. 100% No doubt about it. Just because he's forced into second line duties (sound familiar?) does not make him a true second line center. By the way he has had similar production to Zajac throughout their careers.

Last edited by Epictetus: 07-28-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old
07-28-2013, 06:56 PM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
this thread is not debating whether or not Michael Leighton is a #1 goalie or Trent Dilfer was a true #1 QB though. so I am not sure what teh hell those things have to do with anything as they are completely different situations.

but nice deflection.
Anyone with half a brain could make the correlation that just becuase someone is temporaily playing an important position with a successful team that does not justify calling them more than what they are. Much like Leighton is not a true #1 goalie and Dilfer is not a true #1 QB, Zajac is not a true #1 center.

My apologies for thinking you could comprehend.

As for Zajac, he's a good player with a terrible contract that has no business being a #1 center. He is, however, the best center the Devils have. Which is why he will play on their top line. Which is bad news for the Devils, as he doesnt score nearly enough. Second line? Great. First line, yikes.

Try looking at your team objectively and call a spade a spade.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Really I don't ever really know how to approach experts on anything. Usually experts tend to be somewhat self anointed. So when someone comes to me and tells me they are the keepers of the 'relevant facts'--then I begin to wonder how much they really do know. It is a hell of a claim. You get first prize for chutzpah today.

Zajac--No. 1 center--if you're happy with that I'm happy for you. A good first line center. If you say so.

I was talking about a relevant fact that is 100% undisputed. You said Zajac signed his contract after he just this season which he was putrid. That's wrong. There's no way around that, even if you want to pretend that never happened. It's obvious you aren't really well aware of the facts in this case, given you don't even know one of the most important ones. So wonder how much I know all you want.. but you don't really know much.

And where did I say Zajac is definitely a number 1 center again? Where did I say he is a good number 1 center? On top of knowing facts, would help if you'd read posts correctly.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

I was talking about a relevant fact that is 100% undisputed. You said Zajac signed his contract after he just this season which he was putrid. That's wrong. There's no way around that, even if you want to pretend that never happened. It's obvious you aren't really well aware of the facts in this case, given you don't even know one of the most important ones. So wonder how much I know all you want.. but you don't really know much.

And where did I say Zajac is definitely a number 1 center again? Where did I say he is a good number 1 center? On top of knowing facts, would help if you'd read posts correctly.

Borderline and can be one again is what you said--more or less meaning you think he's actually capable. Considering you guys like to go back to that Stanley Cup run of a couple seasons ago--when you had Parise and Kovalchuk-- and that he did 20 points in 48 games last year I'm wondering just how you think he's going to start running off a string of first line production seasons?

Old
07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Borderline and can be one again is what you said--more or less meaning you think he's actually capable. Considering you guys like to go back to that Stanley Cup run of a couple seasons ago--when you had Parise and Kovalchuk-- and that he did 20 points in 48 games last year I'm wondering just how you think he's going to start running off a string of first line production seasons?
Can. Yes. He's capable. He's shown that. Where did I say he's going to do it again? Why are you continuing to put words in my mouth (while hilariously ignoring the words you've said yourself)?

And Zajac was a pretty damn good 1st line center with just Parise on his wing. Obviously, not the kind of player who can carry a line by himself but if you put him with the right type of player, he can (AND has shown to) be dangerous.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:17 PM
snazzu88

Quote:
And Zajac was a pretty damn good 1st line center with just Parise on his wing. Obviously, not the kind of player who can carry a line by himself but if you put him with the right type of player, he can (AND has shown to) be dangerous.
Would I call him a pretty damn good 1st line center? No not exactly. Where as I don't agree when people constantly use point production to justify a players skill on the ice, Zajac's production is low for a No1 center. Terribly low? No, but lower than it should be.

But I definitely agree with saying if he's with the right player he can step it up. I said in earlier posts that he just needs to click with someone. He's not the type of forward that can just make things consistently happen by himself. As of right now that's just fact. He needs someone to compliment his play and once he gets that, point production will increase.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
The Green Unit

How on earth Zajac has a 1st line center contract ?

If you need to understand what really is a #1 contract under the new CBA you should take a look at Getzlaf's.

The lack of effort to have an honest discussion here is getting tiring.

Closed Thread