HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2013, 02:02 AM
  #626
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess513 View Post
Jesus, even Davis hit a home run. Why can't they play like this all the time?

I remember at the end of last season when Mets fans were trying to convince me that Ike Davis was a good player.

darko is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 03:04 AM
  #627
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Ike WAS a good player. His rookie season and the second half of last year were enough to keep his stock up. With this abysmal year, though, what appeared to be a set position is now a position of need for the Metsies.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 04:15 AM
  #628
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Ike WAS a good player. His rookie season and the second half of last year were enough to keep his stock up. With this abysmal year, though, what appeared to be a set position is now a position of need for the Metsies.
Yeah, him falling off a cliff like this is one of the more bizarre things I've seen happen to a player.

Zil is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 09:04 AM
  #629
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yeah, him falling off a cliff like this is one of the more bizarre things I've seen happen to a player.
Wouldn't necessarily call it bizarre. It happens all the time. Players lose themselves. Some can get back on track with new coaching/change of scenery. Some lose themselves completely.

I think he'll be fine if we get a new coach - new approach - fresh start.

Rust Heisenberg is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 09:51 AM
  #630
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
NY post reporting Arod could be out till 2015

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:22 PM
  #631
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,860
vCash: 500
Jeter hits the first 2nd half HR.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:29 PM
  #632
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,041
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I sort of hope the Mets don't even tender Ike.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:32 PM
  #633
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Jeter hits the first 2nd half HR.
in his first AB back..

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:40 PM
  #634
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
so if we can get Granderson back... Gardner,Jeet,Cano,Sori,Grandy, ichiro. Thats at least a respectable 1-6

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:40 PM
  #635
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,712
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
NY post reporting Arod could be out till 2015
Good luck with that, MLB.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
  #636
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Good luck with that, MLB.
braun just got 65, u dont think Arod will get more with ALOT more evidence?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:50 PM
  #637
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,645
vCash: 50
Dan Murphy is 5th in the NL in hits.

lirl

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:51 PM
  #638
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,041
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Murph is a good player.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:57 PM
  #639
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,645
vCash: 50
Love Murph, but I never put that stat together. Find it hilarious.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 12:59 PM
  #640
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,645
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
braun just got 65, u dont think Arod will get more with ALOT more evidence?
A-Rod is doomed. Well, from a playing standpoint at least.

Also, Jeter doing what Jeter does best (no, not grounding into a DP) with that HR.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
  #641
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Murph has a LOT more WAR than I would've thought. He was slumping really hard for a few weeks there.

I guess a 2 homer, 6-9 performance in a double-header will get you back on track.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:22 PM
  #642
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,712
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
braun just got 65, u dont think Arod will get more with ALOT more evidence?
You can't compare the two because Braun settled. He just wanted it over. Take the 65 games, miss the rest of the season where the team is horrible, come back next season with everything behind him and no longer having to worry. He didn't want to fight it.

A-Rod is at the end of his career. He wants to play. Hes not going to accept missing the rest of this year AND next year. His agent has said publicly they won't settle. Even if they did settle, it wouldn't be for a year and half suspension.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  #643
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
It's absolutely ridiculous that we don't know how long these guys can get suspended for. What an insane draconian policy where you have a legitimate CBA and yet abuse it to just dole out ridiculously long suspensions.

And don't even get me started on the way the media has covered it. I'm the furthest thing from a steroid-user apologist, but instead of focusing on the problem of steroids in the game these idiots make it an issue of guys like Braun and A-Rod being lying cheating ********. The personal angle is the absolute worst angle you can take in a league where your best hitter gets drunk and yells at cops.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  #644
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,712
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It's absolutely ridiculous that we don't know how long these guys can get suspended for. What an insane draconian policy where you have a legitimate CBA and yet abuse it to just dole out ridiculously long suspensions.

And don't even get me started on the way the media has covered it. I'm the furthest thing from a steroid-user apologist, but instead of focusing on the problem of steroids in the game these idiots make it an issue of guys like Braun and A-Rod being lying cheating ********. The personal angle is the absolute worst angle you can take in a league where your best hitter gets drunk and yells at cops.
Braun settled for 65, it was his choice.

I got a feeling that if this goes to court, A-Rod won't get more than 25-50 because thats what the CBA states for first time offenders It doesn't matter how much evidence they have.. it will still be his first time being suspended.

I don't think you can just hold all this evidence then try to dish it out all at once. It won't hold up when he fights it, and it'll be a glorious day.

I really don't understand what baseball is trying to do here. Let the steroid **** pass. What do you have to gain by releasing the names of all these players? Bringing negative press to your own sport. Anyone who REALLY cares about steroids has already stopped watching.

I personally do not feel any less about the players who used, because I'm not convinced it helps you become a better baseball player.

Braun is a ****** though, for lying and attacking the guy who took his test sample the way he did.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:37 PM
  #645
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
You can't compare the two because Braun settled. He just wanted it over. Take the 65 games, miss the rest of the season where the team is horrible, come back next season with everything behind him and no longer having to worry. He didn't want to fight it.

A-Rod is at the end of his career. He wants to play. Hes not going to accept missing the rest of this year AND next year. His agent has said publicly they won't settle. Even if they did settle, it wouldn't be for a year and half suspension.
Braun settled because he was screwed and he knew it.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:39 PM
  #646
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Jeter 2-2 with a HR and 2 runs scored so far in his return. The guy is just invaluable

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
  #647
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Braun is a ****** though, for lying and attacking the guy who took his test sample the way he did.
I disagree. The guy DID **** up. Braun never said anything to attack the guys character or anything, he just said that he ****ed up the protocol- which he did.

Braun is in the wrong for roiding, but the focus should be on how a 'roid culture impacts the game negatively, not how roid users are awful people.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 01:49 PM
  #648
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,712
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I disagree. The guy DID **** up. Braun never said anything to attack the guys character or anything, he just said that he ****ed up the protocol- which he did.

Braun is in the wrong for roiding, but the focus should be on how a 'roid culture impacts the game negatively, not how roid users are awful people.
He didn't really **** it up. He made a procedure error that had no outcome on the result of the test. Braun knew what he did, and he tried to say he was clean when in reality he just got off a BS technicality.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
07-28-2013, 03:54 PM
  #649
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Yankees actually win a game. 7 games out in division, but only 3 back in 2nd WC somehow

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
  #650
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
He didn't really **** it up. He made a procedure error that had no outcome on the result of the test. Braun knew what he did, and he tried to say he was clean when in reality he just got off a BS technicality.
It was a technicality, sure, but the guy didn't follow procedure. That's all Braun said, and it was true. It's not like he was trying to paint the guy as a menace (coincidentally, as the media is trying to do to Braun), he was just stating the facts.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.