HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark Fraser rejects Leaf QO

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2013, 01:12 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 500
If the Leafs sign Fraser for $1.4 that doesn't leave a lot of cap space for Kadri, Franson, and some buffer room.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Ruki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
2 mil for Fraser is an absolute joke
For 1.4 mil I hope we ship his ass back to the Marlies where he can rot. Anything higher than 1 is too much.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
For 1.4 mil I hope we ship his ass back to the Marlies where he can rot. Anything higher than 1 is too much.
Cant do that anymore in the new CBA. I believe any salary over 1 million can be rotting in the minors. It will count against your salary cap

Old
07-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

Unfortunately, the Leafs can't walk away unless the award is >= $3.5M, so it looks like we'll be stuck with him and now have to trade Liles.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Shaun_W_W

If he won't sign before arbitration I would ship him out for anything. He is a very good 6-7th dman but no way should be anywhere close to these numbers.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:22 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Unfortunately, the Leafs can't walk away unless the award is >= $3.5M, so it looks like we'll be stuck with him and now have to trade Liles.
I don't think there is much of a market for Liles.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:22 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
If he won't sign before arbitration I would ship him out for anything. He is a very good 6-7th dman but no way should be anywhere close to these numbers.
Yeah but who's going to take him

Old
07-28-2013, 01:23 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
I don't think any team would trade for him knowing he's asking for 2 million in arbitration.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Ricky Bobby

Of course he rejected it. The offer extended by the Leafs wasn't an insult it's just part of the legal process. Teams extend QO like the one Fraser got because it means they continue to retain his rights and players almost always reject the QO.

I liked having Fraser on the team last year but with Paul Ranger who also happens to be a LD that was the top PK Dman in Tampa and has much better upside. Fraser might be out of a spot with the Leafs. With Clarkson skating a regular shift we've also replaced Frasers fighting.

If Gunnar, Gardiner, Ranger are all playing LD ahead of Fraser where will the minutes come from to play him?

Old
07-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Shaun_W_W

The can't walk away rule is silly, this will hurt the Leafs if he gets anywhere near the halfway point between the two sides.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Cant do that anymore in the new CBA. I believe any salary over 1 million can be rotting in the minors. It will count against your salary cap
Cap hit when relegated to minor= Cap hit -900k (min 0k)

So 500k for the proposed scenario.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:38 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

To stress this again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
QOs are very rarely ever signed. They are a formality to retain the player's rights. This isn't news.
Even after reading this post, people are still upset/freaking out. I don't get it.

Quote:
2 mil for Fraser is an absolute joke
That's called negotiating. They'll settle somewhere in between those two numbers. 1.35 is my guess.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:40 PM
jonlin

The guy has a teamleading +18 in 45 games and Leaf-fans wants to hang him?

1. Fraser +18
2. Kadri +15
3. Lupul +8

Closest defenceman is Gunnarson with +5...

Atleast statwise he seems to be a good bottom-pairing shutdown-defenseman who isn`t afraid to get his nose dirty( He actually logged 2-pairing minutes all year...)! I think that a 2-way offer was a slap in the guys face. He is definately worth 1-1,5mill on a 1-way contract IMO.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Gavy

Ya, let this greedy clown walk. He isn't worth it

Old
07-28-2013, 01:44 PM
TOML

Strange that he's asking for $2mil, considering that he's barely out of the AHL and all. But when he signs for $1mil it'll look like a steal. (It's not a steal.)

At least Colborne is $600k...

Old
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Ya, let this greedy clown walk. He isn't worth it
I thought they couldn't do this unless he's awarded 3.5+

Old
07-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Zonk

It is most likely that the Leafs and Fraser will settle on a new contract prior to the arbitration, but if the hearing does go ahead does anyone know what authority the arbiter has in deciding whether it is a one-way or a two-way contract?

Old
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

That's why Nonis got the big bucks. To figure out how to squeeze Kadri, Fraser and Franson under 6 M $...

Old
07-28-2013, 01:55 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Why does everyone forget/ignore the possibility of trading him?
Mark Fraser at 1.4 or 1.5M isnt unmoveable.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Median

Can Fraser be released prior to arbitration? That way the Leafs don't get stuck with him.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:00 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
The can't walk away rule is silly, this will hurt the Leafs if he gets anywhere near the halfway point between the two sides.
IDK, the players gave up a lot in money and are eligible for arbitration later now too, so I appareciate that they got a concession back. It's kind of stupid to get an obviously insulting QO (not talking specifically Fraser here) and then be strung along for several month only to have the club walk away from an award.

Maybe it would make more sense to put it in relation to the QO, say, you can only walk away from an awards more than 1xx% of the QO, but in the end it does kind of make sense this way too, because it is those guys with the ~1m salary who are interchnageable and need this protection. If a panel of objective judges thinks all your peers earn over 3.5m, you'll probably find another gig easily.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
The guy has a teamleading +18 in 45 games and Leaf-fans wants to hang him?

1. Fraser +18
2. Kadri +15
3. Lupul +8

Closest defenceman is Gunnarson with +5...

Atleast statwise he seems to be a good bottom-pairing shutdown-defenseman who isn`t afraid to get his nose dirty( He actually logged 2-pairing minutes all year...)! I think that a 2-way offer was a slap in the guys face. He is definately worth 1-1,5mill on a 1-way contract IMO.
Most Leaf fans are contending that the only reason he's +18 is because of Kadri. They are refusing to admit that he had the lowest goals against per game played on the team: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=plusMinus

Now they will contend he was sheltered and that any scrub could put up those numbers, even though Fraser led all D in ES TOI per game in April. He played less minutes to begin the season but earned his way to higher TOI.

He was 2nd in the league for D in hitting and 15th for D in blocked shots. He's the clear #1 hitter and shot blocker on the Leafs. Carlyle's Leafs made their identity on hitting and shot blocking, so in an arbitration hearing he can point to these stats and claim he is important to the team's success. $2 million is not an unreasonable number given these facts, which is what the NHLPA will argue in his arbitration hearing.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:02 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

Fraser @ around 1.5 mill is still someone that there will be interest in...hell, as a Habs fan, I'd rather have Fraser than Bouillon and his 1.5 mill contract...

Old
07-28-2013, 02:03 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Median View Post
Can Fraser be released prior to arbitration? That way the Leafs don't get stuck with him.
My guess would be not extending a QO would have been your chance to do that. If you could walk away from him a minute prior to the arbitration this whole rule would still be kind of pointless.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Most Leaf fans are contending that the only reason he's +18 is because of Kadri. They are refusing to admit that he had the lowest goals against per game played on the team: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=plusMinus

Now they will contend he was sheltered and that any scrub could put up those numbers, even though Fraser led all D in ES TOI per game in April. He played less minutes to begin the season but earned his way to higher TOI.
He got all those Es mins in april because the team was resting their better players.
Unless you think Caryle decided Phaneuf was only the 4th best Dman on the team that month and then changed him mind again in the playoffs.

Closed Thread