HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Hodgson

Old
07-27-2013, 10:18 PM
ZeroPT
Nos sumus in futurum

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
Leafs downgrade at forward and defence? Think before you post.
Kadri isn't exactly much better than Hodgson and I wouldn't touch Phaneuf with a ten-foot pole, especially since we're rebuilding.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Just because our bumbling fumbling GM screwed that whole thing up doesn't mean Hodgson won't come back when Gillis is canned, which based on the past 2 years shouldn't be far from now.

The kid has amazing vision, a great shot, and so much potential. He will break out very soon.
I always laugh when you refer to the Canucks as "our" team, since you spew more hate on everything Canucks than even the trolls that constantly trash on the team!

Gillis absolutely did the right thing by dealing Hodgson. I say that as a fan who loves his "team" more than any one player. Hodgson was a guy who wanted out. His teammates even lost respect for him (note the taping of the "C" on his jersey by his teammates, referring to a rookie who was acting like he deserved special treatment). He was not happy in Vancouver, his parents interferred with his role there, making demands on how he should be played, and he simply didn't want to go through the same development cycle that ALL Canucks have gone through with this team. Kesler was brought along as a 4th liner in his rookie year, the Sedins played a 3rd line role for their first few years in Vancouver, and yet Hodgson felt he was entitled to more - or maybe his father or agent felt he was entitled to more, and demanded it from the team. The situation was so ridiculous that even his own teammates saw the divide. Anyone who cares more about their team than any one player would want to get rid of any player that puts themselves above the team, and Hodgson (and his family, agent, etc) did just that.

What kind of fan of the actual "team" and again not a specific player, would blame the GM for moving a guy like that out? IMO, only a "fan" who continually trashes on his-supposed team constantly.

And Gillis is no where near being canned. That's just wishful thinking on your part.

As far as Hodgson is concerned, good for him to find a fit in Buffalo. I'm sure he's very happy there, being close to family and getting a big role on a rebuilding/developing team, instead of having to pay his dues on a contender, like everyone else on this team has done.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I always laugh when you refer to the Canucks as "our" team, since you spew more hate on everything Canucks than even the trolls that constantly trash on the team!

Gillis absolutely did the right thing by dealing Hodgson. I say that as a fan who loves his "team" more than any one player. Hodgson was a guy who wanted out. His teammates even lost respect for him (note the taping of the "C" on his jersey by his teammates, referring to a rookie who was acting like he deserved special treatment). He was not happy in Vancouver, his parents interferred with his role there, making demands on how he should be played, and he simply didn't want to go through the same development cycle that ALL Canucks have gone through with this team. Kesler was brought along as a 4th liner in his rookie year, the Sedins played a 3rd line role for their first few years in Vancouver, and yet Hodgson felt he was entitled to more - or maybe his father or agent felt he was entitled to more, and demanded it from the team. The situation was so ridiculous that even his own teammates saw the divide. Anyone who cares more about their team than any one player would want to get rid of any player that puts themselves above the team, and Hodgson (and his family, agent, etc) did just that.

What kind of fan of the actual "team" and again not a specific player, would blame the GM for moving a guy like that out? IMO, only a "fan" who continually trashes on his-supposed team constantly.

And Gillis is no where near being canned. That's just wishful thinking on your part.

As far as Hodgson is concerned, good for him to find a fit in Buffalo. I'm sure he's very happy there, being close to family and getting a big role on a rebuilding/developing team, instead of having to pay his dues on a contender, like everyone else on this team has done.
WOW, you've still got it NFITO.

That post had me reminiscing about the old CC

... almost two decades ago?

Folks, there REALLY WAS a problem with CoHo's attitude.

Not sure why so many people don't wanna accept that fact.

Hopefully he grows out of it...

"I spoke to the coach about my role on the team."

- ROOKIE Cody Hodgson

Yeah, he had to go and Kassian was a decent return.

Too soon to judge this trade.

Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:40 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Kadri isn't exactly much better than Hodgson and I wouldn't touch Phaneuf with a ten-foot pole, especially since we're rebuilding.
So again, the Leafs downgrade in both positions. Despite the Sabres' needs, the value is way off.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 12:27 AM
lifeisruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFS View Post
What is Hodgon's value right now? What teams would be interested? I know Buffalo is not looking to trade him. I just want to get an idea of his worth.
A. Young scoring winger with "elite" ceiling
B. young powerforward on verge of realizing 15 goal potential (so Zack Kassian if Kassian was trending more toward realizing his potential then bust)
C. Part of a package for an established franchise center (most recent example, Getzlaf)

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:46 AM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
WOW, you've still got it NFITO.

That post had me reminiscing about the old CC

... almost two decades ago?

Folks, there REALLY WAS a problem with CoHo's attitude.

Not sure why so many people don't wanna accept that fact.

Hopefully he grows out of it...

"I spoke to the coach about my role on the team."

- ROOKIE Cody Hodgson

Yeah, he had to go and Kassian was a decent return.

Too soon to judge this trade.
Maybe in Vancouver..... In Buffalo there have been no problems.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:58 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Buffalo handed him cake ice time and didn't care about his poor defense due to rebuilding. Points -> pay -> happy Hodgson.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:37 AM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Buffalo handed him cake ice time and didn't care about his poor defense due to rebuilding. Points -> pay -> happy Hodgson.
Wow there is alot of hate for this kid in Vancouver. In Buffalo, Hodgson seems to be at every charity event and other events the Sabres hold. Sounds like a player that cares about more then just ice time and a payday.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Asher

Quote:
Wow there is alot of hate for this kid in Vancouver. In Buffalo, Hodgson seems to be at every charity event and other events the Sabres hold. Sounds like a player that cares about more then just ice time and a payday.
Gillis tarred and feathered him after the trade and the fans jumped on board.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Jamie Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
Leafs downgrade at forward and defence? Think before you post.
I think you mis-spelled upgrade

Jamie Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:54 AM
sobrio

Quote:

Thank you. Spot on every point.

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker View Post
I think you mis-spelled upgrade
That would be correct if the Leafs wanted to draft in the lottery.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Cloudedthought

Quote:
Its actually more his dad I believe that is causing this kid troubles off the ice. Would go as far to guess its the same reason a deal is not in place yet.
When teams learn of parents being overbearing,it often is a black mark that the kid wont be able to shake. A good example would be Brule if any of you read that recent article about his dad being a problem and spending his money.

Cloudedthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Well maybe because he's playing 1st line minutes in Buffalo, opposed to playing 3rd line minutes in Vancouver. I have no problem whatsoever with Hodgson as a player, he's actually very good. But no rookie should be demanding ice time on a President's trophy winning team that made it to game 7 of the finals the year before. If Hodgson's happy in Vancouver swell, he's getting opportunities he'd never get in Vancouver.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
I wouldn't either but most teams would.
Probably not.

Kassiasn is a nice gritty winger but Hodgson is at least a number 2 center, maybe more.

Both kids at valuable assets, but that was not a great trade in terms of value.

07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
nlnl09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
Well maybe because he's playing 1st line minutes in Buffalo, opposed to playing 3rd line minutes in Vancouver. I have no problem whatsoever with Hodgson as a player, he's actually very good. But no rookie should be demanding ice time on a President's trophy winning team that made it to game 7 of the finals the year before. If Hodgson's happy in Vancouver swell, he's getting opportunities he'd never get in Vancouver.
I think everyone's forgot about his last season with us... Almost every game I personally was hopping he'd get more minutes or at least two capable wingers. AV was not a good coach for young players. He earned more ice time and we would of been a better team had he been given more opportunity to get that great shot he had off. Still get shivers thinking about that clapper on Tim Thomas and seeing Timmy have to get a closer look of the name on the back of that jersey.

nlnl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:11 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Hodgson is a key piece of the core and won't be moved. While I don't think he will ever be a ppg type player, I think he will be a perennial 65 point center who is the perfect 1B center. With Grigorenko, Ennis, Girgensons and Larsson also in the pipeline down the middle, Buffalo may entertain moving Hodgson if the right deal came along... I would move him along with a good asset or two for a legit young 1st line winger to replace Vanek if he's moved. But either way, he is going to be a tremendous asset for the team and I think Buffalo absolutely won that trade. Kassian is looking like a 2nd/3rd liner at best while Hodgson finished in the top 20 for center scoring this past season. Kassian had a fluke hot start this year leeching off the Sedins and after that he was invisible. Kassian is still young and due to his size/hitting/2 way play he will make the NHL and stay there no matter what, I think he is going to end up a 15-15 or 20-20 guy on a teams 3rd line, and won't be the 30-30 1st line power forward that Vancouver fans thought he would be.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Jamie Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Kadri and Phaneuf for Hodgson and Myers.
you should propose this as a trade (it's own thread) , because, I think Buffalo gets robbed

Jamie Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Hodgson is a key piece of the core and won't be moved. While I don't think he will ever be a ppg type player, I think he will be a perennial 65 point center who is the perfect 1B center. With Grigorenko, Ennis, Girgensons and Larsson also in the pipeline down the middle, Buffalo may entertain moving Hodgson if the right deal came along... I would move him along with a good asset or two for a legit young 1st line winger to replace Vanek if he's moved. But either way, he is going to be a tremendous asset for the team and I think Buffalo absolutely won that trade. Kassian is looking like a 2nd/3rd liner at best while Hodgson finished in the top 20 for center scoring this past season. Kassian had a fluke hot start this year leeching off the Sedins and after that he was invisible. Kassian is still young and due to his size/hitting/2 way play he will make the NHL and stay there no matter what, I think he is going to end up a 15-15 or 20-20 guy on a teams 3rd line, and won't be the 30-30 1st line power forward that Vancouver fans thought he would be.

Ahh much too soon to declare a winner on the deal IMO. Many suspected Hodgson to outproduce Kassian. That's not the way to judge these players. The impact on the game will be different for each, that's why this trade even goes down.

To me, it will be no contest if Kassian ever gets to Hodgson's level of production. He will be seen as the clearly better asset at that point. If he remains below, which is likely, then his impact away from the puck will have to be accounted for in the comparison. That point, however, will remain a point of a contention for a while.

Edit: Also your assessment of the early part of the season is off. Kassian was carrying the twins in the beginning. The started slow this year, after not having played anywhere else during the lock out. He was there to buoy them.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
(Hodgson) is going to be a tremendous asset for the team and I think Buffalo absolutely won that trade.
Wishful thinking from a Sabre fan.

Quote:
Kassian had a fluke hot start this year leeching off the Sedins and after that he was invisible.
Hodgson had a fluke hot start this year leeching off the Vanek/Pomminville and after that he was invisible.

Difference is, Hodgson continued to receive prime linemates/icetime.

He responded with 28 points in 32 games.

Before those 32 games he had 8 points in 20 games with Buffalo.

After those 32 games he had 6 points in 16 games with Buffalo.

One could argue he simply rode a Vanek-Pomminville wave.

Hard to tell at this point.

But one thing is certain: you don't need to back-check to receive prime icetime in Buffalo.

Different story in Vancouver.

WAY too early for you to be saying "Buffalo absolutely won that trade".

Hopefully it turns out to be a great trade for both teams.

We shall see....

Old
07-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Quote:
Hodgson leached off Vanek and Pominville.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Hodgson had a fluke hot start this year leeching off the Vanek/Pomminville and after that he was invisible.

But one thing is certain: you don't need to back-check to receive prime icetime in Buffalo.

We shall see....
Yep, you are totally right about this. Really shows that you don't watch our games.

That is Eric Staal that he just back-checked and took the puck from btw.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Yep, you are totally right about this. Really shows that you don't watch our games.
Actually every hardcore Canuck fan has seen that highlight.

Yours truly included.

Doesn't mean there isn't truth in Hodgson "riding a Vanek-Pomminville wave".

Doesn't mean there isn't truth in the statement:

"You don't need to back-check to receive prime icetime in Buffalo."

Are you trying to infer Hodgson is a good "two-way centre"?

Or just trollin?

Old
07-28-2013, 06:20 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Why would Cody want out? Oh right, because the team made a series of decisions that damaged Hodgson's development, starting with AV's pants-on-head-dumb treatment of his back injury, and continuing right up until they decided to "showcase" him, when he was getting a 30% offensive start ratio and playing with Vancouver's revolving door of bottom six grinders.

The "we were just developing Cody like all our other prospects" line is bunk. While the Sedins got third line minutes early on in their careers, they were also two players with elite pedigree who got to develop on a line together. Kesler started off as a defensively oriented grinder because he's a defensively oriented ginder. Had Vancouver given Cody a decent winger, and/or set him up to feast on offensive mismatches the way most teams with two elite centers do, he's probably still a Canuck. AV's deployment strategy was wholly unique, and very, very bad for someone with Hodgson's skillset.

Quote:
Because the GM and coach did a hell of a lot to contribute to the circumstances that led to Hodgson demanding a trade. Only somebody blindly toeing the team's line would casually omit how much of a two-way street this situation was.

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. He did turn around and trade for a third "name" center after getting spanked carrying pretty much just Sedin/Kesler into the 2012 playoffs. He set the team back by trading Hodgson for something other than an immediate NHL upgrade. All his good moves (Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Garrison, Malhotra) can be offset by his bad (Booth, Kassian, Ballard, Lapierre-Pahlsson center depth), possibly and then some.

Quote:
Who paid their dues on a contender? Pretty much their entire talent pool was developed elsewhere or on editions of the team that had enough trouble making the playoffs, much less winning four rounds.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

We shall see....
One thing is certain, you have no clue what you're talking about.

First off, yes Hodgson defense left a lot to be desired, however Vanek and Pominville were put out to create offense, not defend against the other team. Who is a creative passer and offensive catalyst? Oh, Cody Hodgson can fill that role. Other than Ennis(who did not play with Vanek and Pominville due to Hodgson's chemistry with them and the fact that Foligno, Ennis, Stafford was a successful line at the end of the previous year), who else is going to be put in that center role? Ott? Hecht, oh how about the later acquisition of Kevin Porter? Since we have a severe lack of centers, Cody was put into the best spot, because he was our best offensive center. To refute your point about him being gifted a spot, he was actually demoted during the year because he was playing poorly, and while I don't disagree that he definitely benefitted from playing with Vanek and Pominville, are we supposed to discredit this? If so, we should apply the same to Kassian right? To not do so would be ridiculous. Oh, on a sidenote Hodgson our best forward during the games that Vanek was out due to injury.

I'm not denying that Hodgson has a lot of work to do, mostly with his defensive work. But I love how Canuck fans continue to bash the kid even though he was on pace for nearly 60 points. Sure he has work to do defensively, but he's 23, he's not meant to be perfect at everything yet. He's a hard worker, and seems like a good kid with his head on straight, he'll work on what he needs to improve.

I'm in no way putting Kassian down, I think the Canuck fans who remember me(also went by Kishire) can say that I've always wished Kassian the best. But the double standard and hypocrisy that happens whenever Hodgson's name is mentioned around Canuck fans is impossible to ignore.

Godson to cancer and a bum in not even a month after being traded. Pathetic.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote