HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Have feeling Rob Brown will get extra duties taking over for Tencer after games as well as 6-9 slots with a filler for him when on road jmo.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:30 AM
abootzky

vCash: 500
I'm curious to see how Rutherford's blue-haired audience will take to Tencer. For me, it's a case of a host I purposely avoided listening to for the most part replacing a host I completely quit listening to in early 2002. In other words- no big deal. I'd say good riddance to Tencer but I always felt his presence helped TEAM 1260 (to which I've been a loyal listener since Day 1) more than it hurt.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I'm curious to see how Rutherford's blue-haired audience will take to Tencer. For me, it's a case of a host I purposely avoided listening to for the most part replacing a host I completely quit listening to in early 2002. In other words- no big deal. I'd say good riddance to Tencer but I always felt his presence helped TEAM 1260 (to which I've been a loyal listener since Day 1) more than it hurt.
I get the feeling Rutherford's audience will be very happy with Tencer. I remember hearing Stauffer saying a couple of times that he's never met someone as young as Tencer who is that right-wing in his political views.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Whoa, Syd Smith is brand director for CHED now? Damn that makes me feel old, I still remember when he was the HOST for Inside Sports.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-27-2013, 03:23 AM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I've heard Reed Wilkens named mentioned
I can't stand that guy, he brings absolutely nothing to the table. He makes Oilers Now unlistenable. When I know he's filling in, I know I'm tuning out.

Old
07-27-2013, 03:37 AM
cpsman

i honestly have no idea how tencer got a job.

he pretty much doesn't seem to know anything about anything, but acts as if he knows everything and everyone. such an annoying show.

don't listen to much of gregor so can't really comment. But from what I've heard of him, I can see why some people like him and some people very strongly dislike him.

That being said, I must say I really do like the morning show on 1260. Nielson can be pretty hilarious at time, and in general seems to know a reasonable amount about various sports.

Old
07-27-2013, 04:20 AM
Trizent

I believe Tencer based Inside Sports and Oilers post game regained some of the audience that Stafford lost to TEAM1260 during the Stafford era. I liked Tencer's show and the ratings were real strong.

I have probably enjoyed Lowetide's show the most over the past few months.

Honestly, we have real high quality programming here between CHED and the TEAM. Some guys are more critical of the Oilers than others, but they all offer something and have relevant guests.

CHED really could go anywhere with this INSIDE SPORTS hire and just a note that the hire doesn't automatically get the Oilers pregame and postgame gigs -- that could still be Tencer and unless they go with an outside hire, I believe it will be Tencer.

It could be Wilkens or Morley from the inside, Strudwick, Bryn?, Gregor owns his show so not sure there - would think he would need the Oilers gig with it to make it appealing enough even then he has a good thing going for himself and has created a good brand, Boomer from FAN960, Peter Hill from the old channel 10 Shaw Cable days, Daily Doug, Adil; the possibilities are endless.

Another thing to consider is that will Spec be allowed to remain on the TEAM since Bell (TSN owners) now own the station and could rebrand it TSN Radio?

Lots going on!

Old
07-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Whoa, Syd Smith is brand director for CHED now? Damn that makes me feel old, I still remember when he was the HOST for Inside Sports.
I used to love Smith on Inside Sports. When he left to do an earlier timeslot I shifted over to 1260 and CJCA (which had Gregor's show until around 2005-ish I want to say).

1260 had good late night programming back in the early days. Anybody ever listen to or remember the Kevin Wheeler show? He was on the ESPN radio feed, on from around midnight til whenever I fell asleep back in 2002 or 2003. Jason Smith (no, not that one) replaced his show, not even sure who's on now but ESPN radio definitely not as good as it used to be.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Some real polarized opinions in here. I like Gregor, Tencer is downright embarrassing if he's talking about anything besides football or hockey. His attitude towards and knowledge of basketball is beyond pathetic. I listen to him once in a while, and he can be ok sometimes, but other times I can't change the dial fast enough.

Gregor has to fill 4 hours everyday, and I like that he does it with a wide variety of guests on a wide variety of topics. Some of the stuff with Meg (well all of it) could go. Why'd they get rid of Allison Currie anyways, she was great? He can get a bit grating with his "my opinion is absolutely correct and you are wrong" shtick but I still like his show.

Strudwick is awesome, called in a couple times and he's a real nice guy, and puts on a great show.
Meg got pregnant, Allison filled in, Meg came back.

I think the 4 hours is the issue and have thought that from day one.

But who knows I thought Bell was buying them or something, are all those shows going to be sticking around anyway?

Old
07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
This,
Why on earth would anyone want to listen to Tencer talk about current events, the guy literally has no credentials to talk about such things.
Hey,

he did drop out of political sciences

Old
07-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
I can't stand that guy, he brings absolutely nothing to the table. He makes Oilers Now unlistenable. When I know he's filling in, I know I'm tuning out.
Wilkins: When people ask you how tall you are, what do you tell them?

Perron: What kind of question is that?!

Old
07-28-2013, 12:19 AM
abootzky

Listening to the TEAM this week, there is a new contender for most annoying commercial: Playmore Tables & Games. Sean Jones (Spence Diamonds) and Art Angelski (Sh. Pk. Toytota) are horrible but their accents are authentic at least. I don't know what the Playmore guy is going for but whatever it is, I don't want to hear it.

Old
07-28-2013, 12:23 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Have feeling Rob Brown will get extra duties taking over for Tencer after games as well as 6-9 slots with a filler for him when on road jmo.
I hope that doesnt happen.
For a former NHL'er he really doesn't seem to have much of a clue.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:10 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I don't mind him, better than a lot of the stuff we get out here.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I just think they will want someone close to team running inside sports. I hope not either but have a gut feeling its where they are heading.

Old
07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Listening to the TEAM this week, there is a new contender for most annoying commercial: Playmore Tables & Games. Sean Jones (Spence Diamonds) and Art Angelski (Sh. Pk. Toytota) are horrible but their accents are authentic at least. I don't know what the Playmore guy is going for but whatever it is, I don't want to hear it.
"If you wanna be cool, you gotta play pool!"

Agreed i hate that commercial. Also I hate the new traffic girl, Taylor Galvin. She is just so horrible, slurring her words and such. She just bugs me.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Mr Sakich

I wonder if this move opens up more time for Bryan Hall? He hasn't been doing as much Oiler stuff as he use to.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I should take over.

Old
07-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
"If you wanna be cool, you gotta play pool!"

Agreed i hate that commercial. Also I hate the new traffic girl, Taylor Galvin. She is just so horrible, slurring her words and such. She just bugs me.
lol, we are a tough crowd, complaining abut the traffic girl.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Another thing to consider is that will Spec be allowed to remain on the TEAM since Bell (TSN owners) now own the station and could rebrand it TSN Radio?
I am not speaking for the station nor do I have any inside knowledge on the matter but as a fan of Mark's and of his show, I wondered the same thing. I was once told that there is a similar situation in Vancouver and it's been allowed there. I don't know who that person is though.

Sounds like there is a precedent though at least.

07-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
lol, we are a tough crowd, complaining abut the traffic girl.
Nope. I agree. The previous girl was better. This one sounds like a dude.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
By the way, I know mine isn't the most listened to show out there but I do enjoy, respect and listen to feedback from listeners so feel free to let me know what you think - good and/or bad.

Also, all this past month we've brought back what will now be an ongoing summer feature that I call IN STUDIO. Basically, we're going to get a couple players or coaches or scouts to come in and sit with us for an hour and just shoot the ****. It's a good way to get to know them and it's been a LOT of fun.

So far this summer we've had (with Links):

July 6th: goalie Matt Tomkins (CHI) and skater Peter Quenneville (CLS)
July 9th: Keegan Lowe (CAR) and Dillon Simpson (EDM)
July 13th: Eric Comrie (WPG), Colin Smith (COL) and Brandon Magee (free agent plays for WHL Victoria)
July 16th: David Glen (free agent plays for Penn State) and Adam Tambellini (NYR)
July 23rd: Travis Ewanyk (EDM) and Colton Parayko (STL)
July 27th: Cody Kunyk (free agent scorer playing for Alaska Nanooks) and Greg Chase (EDM)

This coming Tuesday I'll have a scout show - Brian Gross (San Jose) and Rick Jackson (NHL Central Scouting).

We'll try and keep it going in August but players start leaving for NCAA or WHL camps. Any requests? They have to be local guys so that they can come in.

Some of the stories that have come up have been awesome. "Fat Dill" could be a instant classic for fans I think.

Cheers!

- Guy

Old
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Also I hate the new traffic girl, Taylor Galvin. She is just so horrible, slurring her words and such. She just bugs me.
Wow, attacking a traffic reporter's performance. That's a new low.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:57 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Also I hate the new traffic girl, Taylor Galvin. She is just so horrible, slurring her words and such. She just bugs me.
For further insight, you might want to check out Taylor's Facebook page (Taylor ZombieChick Galvin). 'Interesting'.

Old
07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I wonder if this move opens up more time for Bryan Hall? He hasn't been doing as much Oiler stuff as he use to.
He's 214 years old. I listened to him do Eskimo games in the 60's.

Closed Thread