HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Does Toronto Like Owen Nolan?

View Poll Results: owen nolan
he rocks. 32 64.00%
a nice guy to have in the lineup 13 26.00%
indifferent / no opinion 2 4.00%
don't like him 1 2.00%
really dislike him 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Grizzly Adams

vCash: 500
How Does Toronto Like Owen Nolan?

he was always a fan favorite in teal. curious to know what people in toronro think of him.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:00 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
I think most people love the guy's talent, but are frustrated a bit with his injuries and inconsistency.

When healthy and on his game, the guy dominates. He was playing some very, very good hockey a few weeks ago during that streak and really was a force. At the beginning of the year, he was healthy, but wasn't performing as well. I think a lot of the perception will be based on how he does in the playoffs this year. We know that he was hurt last year vs the Flyers, so I think most fans are willing to give him another 'shot,' so to speak.

But personally, Im glad and thrilled he's a part of this team. I just hope he's good to go when we need him most - the post season.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
leafaholix*

New option...

"When healthy, he rocks!"

Old
01-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Epoch

he rocks!

Old
01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Shawn

He rocks. When he is healthy he is a force on the ice.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Nolan>Your Face

Old
01-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Big Mama*

I love Owen Nolan and they way he plays. He is a primeau penalty killer and excellent defensively. Handles the puck well and has a nasty streak. I loved the way he took care of Webb. I bet his mates were appreciative.were was Webb the other night in Pitt anyway? He is a terriffic skater and has great chemisty with Tuck. Now all we need is Peca. A line of Tucker Peca and Nolan would shred the top lines in the Eastern Conference such as Recchi Roenick and Amonte.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
Nolan>Your Face
you continue to freak me out Tom

Nolan rocks!!!!!! , I got 2 of his posters on my wall, and soon to be getting a jersey!

Old
01-09-2004, 01:46 PM
King of Kelvington

Closest thing to Wendy i've seen in blue n white....

Old
01-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

I voted "nice to have in the lineup".

Nolan's always been one of my favourite players. However, he has always been streaky offensively. Sundin who is far more consistent would be a guy who "rocks" in my estimation.

Nolan has a lot of pride. He was too hurt to play in last year's playoffs, and he will be looking to make amends this season.

If he's anywhere close to healthy, look out. He can really turn it on. No question that when he's on, he's dominant.

Old
01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Nolan's always been one of my favourite players. However, he has always been streaky offensively. Sundin who is far more consistent would be a guy who "rocks" in my estimation.
Well, I think it has more to do with him being fully healthy, which largely influences his effectiveness. I voted 'He rocks' btw, with the footnote that I would like to add 'when healthy' to that

Old
01-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Rand

In terms of him as a person I'm neutral.. I neither like nor especially dislike him.

As for his play... it's pretty much what it was in San Jose, inconsistent and injury prone.
When fully healthy he's an excellent top notch power forward and can be a legitimately dominating factor.
When less then completely healthy he's not very physical.
Given Nolan's style.. when his physicality drops his effectiveness goes right with it and he's pretty much a wasted player.

I havent really noticed that Nolan has really become much of a fan favourite in Toronto. He's not disliked by any means but he doesn't get the press attention that some others do.
He definitely has a few hardcore supporters however.

I think it's helped his play that he's not under so much pressure in Toronto, despite it being a more "hockey fanatical" city.

In San Jose he was the Captain and the "go-to" guy, whereas the Leafs are blessed with a number of proven veteran leaders that have been Captain's for years with other teams at times so his neither expected nor needed to provide leadership or direction for the younger players.
Similarly on the ice he's primarily a 3rd liner, occasionally 2nd liner so he's not expected to lead the team offensively as was the case throughout much of his time in San Jose.

I've always felt he was ill-suited to the role he was thrust into in San Jose which is unfortunate given the love the city had for him, and he clearly gave his best for them.

01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Jerkini

Aside from his inconsistency, he definitely rocks.

I mean, I've seen glimpses of his greatness, like complete domination on the ice, but if only he can do it consistently.

Old
01-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelobster
he was always a fan favorite in teal. curious to know what people in toronro think of him.
I'm not sure about the "always" up there, Space.
If you can get behind the "I'm a guy's guy" exterior, he's a really, really nice guy. He comes off a bit snobbish (something he's worked on), but he's just an all-around nice guy.

~Crazed.

Old
01-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
you continue to freak me out Tom

Nolan rocks!!!!!! , I got 2 of his posters on my wall, and soon to be getting a jersey!
So you have posters of a guy up on your wall and walk around with a shirt with the name of another guy on it and I still freak you out?

BOOYAHH

Old
01-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
So you have posters of a guy up on your wall and walk around with a shirt with the name of another guy on it and I still freak you out?

BOOYAHH
Touché

Old
01-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Stephen

I really like his game when he's on it, but when he's invisible and floating around I get really angry with him.

Old
01-10-2004, 08:48 AM
TML

When healthy Owen Nolan rocks.

Old
01-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Charge_Seven

Nolan...

Owen Nolan is the PERFECT fit for the Leafs. Not to mention that it ended up being a decent steal, as Brad Boyes appears to be slowly dropping in favour for talent, and Stajan has been impressing hardcore. Nolan is a very very tough competitor, and it's a shame he was so injured in the playoffs last season. If he can make it to this seasons playoffs healthy, then watch out everyone. I especially like the fact that he makes the Leafs such a dangerous team, because with the Leafs they've now got 3 lines that can fire the puck in no problem in:

Roberts-Sundin-Renberg
Tucker-Nolan-Mogilny
Ponikarovsky-Nieuwy-Antropov

that's when they're healthy though.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Verbal Kint*

I wasn't so thrilled when we got him because of some stuff I had heard. Ever since his first game though he's been one of my top 3 favourite players. He plays amzing when healthy is great for leadership and looks like he could make 60 points even with the injury (and I consider him a lock for 50).

Closed Thread