HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist; will he stay or go?

Old
07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
MessierIsGod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I agree in the sense that Hank is arguably the #1 netminder in the NHL, while you can't really argue that for Eli. I'm comparing them in the sense of how consistent they are, and how nice it is to know they are there

But, I bet someone could argue Eli's two rings as a pretty significant factor

Either way, they're both headed to the HoF in their respective sports.
Yeah, SB rings are overrated. Eli's 2 SB MVPs don't mean much either.

Hello? They may both be HOFs but Hank is no Eli until he wins a Cup or two and a Conn Smyth.

As a ranger fan, I would trade Hank if it means getting players here that can help us win the Cup. I want the Cup not a vezina candidate every year. If he wants 8 mio, trade him.

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
Yeah, SB rings are overrated. Eli's 2 SB MVPs don't mean much either.

Hello? They may both be HOFs but Hank is no Eli until he wins a Cup or two and a Conn Smyth.

As a ranger fan, I would trade Hank if it means getting players here that can help us win the Cup. I want the Cup not a vezina candidate every year. If he wants 8 mio, trade him.
Goaltending is the most important position in today's NHL. Hank is arguably the best at this position in the world. He's the kind of guy you tell your grandkids about. The thing is, if we trade Hank for a bunch of pieces we think might win us a Cup, there's always the off chance that they'll fail here. And then we'll regret it. Of course, there's always the chance it happens with keeping Hank, but I'll take the one we already know over the unknown.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Goaltending is the most important position in today's NHL. Hank is arguably the best at this position in the world. He's the kind of guy you tell your grandkids about. The thing is, if we trade Hank for a bunch of pieces we think might win us a Cup, there's always the off chance that they'll fail here. And then we'll regret it. Of course, there's always the chance it happens with keeping Hank, but I'll take the one we already know over the unknown.
We'd also be needing a goalie in return that is capable of winning a Cup. Want a Cup? The guy with the cigar has to go, not the franchise goalie.

Also, what teams have the assets, cap space, and need for Hank? Again, if we're dealing him in order to win a cup, we need a good goalie coming back, or a means of acquiring one...

It's not all about the Cup, for me, anyway; It's an absolute joy watching Hank every game. Some people really take it for granted.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

There was an offer from Anaheim I liked, it was Fasth + Ryan + Palmieri + Sbisa for Hank + DZ. Our lineup:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Ryan
Zuccarello-Palmieri-Callahan
Pouliot-Boyle-Dorsett

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Stralman
Moore-Sbisa

Fasth
Biron

We're a better team on paper but that is too much roster turnover and we know all about that. I'm not even sure if we'd be cap compliant, either.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Can't picture Lundqvist anywhere else as much as I'd like to be able to

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Quote:
There was an offer from Anaheim I liked, it was Fasth + Ryan + Palmieri + Sbisa for Hank + DZ. Our lineup:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Ryan
Zuccarello-Palmieri-Callahan
Pouliot-Boyle-Dorsett

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Stralman
Moore-Sbisa

Fasth
Biron

We're a better team on paper but that is too much roster turnover and we know all about that. I'm not even sure if we'd be cap compliant, either.
Do you have a source for this? I don't remember hearing about this

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:28 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

He will stay

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Aufheben

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
Do you have a source for this? I don't remember hearing about this
It's a fan proposal, I'm assuming.

Old
07-28-2013, 06:29 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
It's a fan proposal, I'm assuming.
And a horrible one, at that. My god that is terrible.

07-28-2013, 06:40 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Yeah, no. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:17 PM
MessierIsGod

Quote:
Do not mistake a hot goaltender in the playoffs with great goaltending regular season. Hot goaltender in playoffs wins the Cup. Great goaltending regular season wins the vezina. I rather have the Cup. Look at the Blackhawks. Drive for show Putt for dough.

Hank outplayed by Brodeur in the ECF last year. Outplayed by Rask this year. Let's see how he performs now that the 6 goalie system is gone. 6 mio max for him.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Do not mistake a hot goaltender in the playoffs with great goaltending regular season. Hot goaltender in playoffs wins the Cup. Great goaltending regular season wins the vezina. I rather have the Cup. Look at the Blackhawks. Drive for show Putt for dough.

Hank outplayed by Brodeur in the ECF last year. Outplayed by Rask this year. Let's see how he performs now that the 6 goalie system is gone. 6 mio max for him.
Because the other rangers showed up so much, right?

But I'm all for it, let's trade Hank and then get a bunch of really good players to win the cup. Oh wait, I forgot that there is no really good player availible. We better start threatening chicago to get Kane and Toews. I assume that's your plan, right? Or you have some magical way to justify getting rid of the teams by far best player to replace him with what exactly? You have any player names in mind that would be availible and help us more than Hank?

Or shall we get rid of Hank, get any random goalie, hope we squeeze into the playoffs and pray to all the gods in the universe that said goalie goes on a hot streak the entire playoffs?

Edit: you also want to pay Hank less than Rask? We should all party for a week because you're not the GM.

Last edited by Jonimaus: 07-28-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Jonimaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Aufheben

Quote:
Yeah, that'd baaaad. Any trade involving Henrik Lundqvist should not have additional players added. Crazy. And Anaheim doesn't have Ryan anymore, anyway.

So, any other teams? It's easy to just say 'trade Hank, get better', but there's more to it than that.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:49 PM
MessierIsGod

I have this feeling that Hank will be the second coming of Eddie. We'll have a retirement ceremony about 15 years from now for the greatest goaltender in rangers history and a future HOF. His number 30 will be next to number 11, 9, 1, etc. and on the other side, the banner for the last Cup we won 1993-94.

That would seem to make a lot of people happy here. But I am a ranger fan, I want championship banners not retirement jerseys. If we pay this guy 8 or 9 mio for the next 6 or 7 years, there will not be enough cap space left to sign bozo.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
I have this feeling that Hank will be the second coming of Eddie. We'll have a retirement ceremony about 15 years from now for the greatest goaltender in rangers history and a future HOF. His number 30 will be next to number 11, 9, 1, etc. and on the other side, the banner for the last Cup we won 1993-94.

That would seem to make a lot of people happy here. But I am a ranger fan, I want championship banners not retirement jerseys. If we pay this guy 8 or 9 mio for the next 6 or 7 years, there will not be enough cap space left to sign bozo.
Hi, you seem to wanting to give Hank a very bad (for him) contract, which in reality means you want to see him traded, since he obviously won't sign for 6mil like you mentioned before you wanted to pay him ( ) (you've given that hint in some previous posts), I called you out for it in my previous post, I will assume you didn't see it since you didn't reply what you wanted to do if we got rid of Hank, because I assume you have names of realistic players availible you'd like us to get that would help us more than him.

Please don't dodge the question again. Thanks.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Sorry, that's probably not the case. First of all, I don't think he's getting 9M/per. But regardless of what he gets, we've got Richards' ~7M coming off the books next summer. Additionally, the cap is expected to start rising again next year. Granted, we've got quite a few guys to re-sign going forward, but there will be money to spend. Bottom line is paying Hank 7.5M vs. some other guy 5M will have ZERO effect on the team's ability to win the cup during his time here.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Lundsanity30

LOL.. I can't believe this debate.. First of all, you pay your stars the money then figure out the rest of your line up.. You think Pitts cares what their 4th line will be right now? no, they have the 2 best players in the world signed for years. The Rangers two best players (right now) are Nash (signed) and Lundqvist. Those are the 2 guys you pay the high money for and then worry about the rest... Also, did a little bit of work on cap geek.. This is without the cap even going up..

Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($4.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.800m)
free agent ($1.000m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) / Danny Kristo ($1.300m)
free agent ($4.000m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.760m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($4.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / michael del zotto ($3.500m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($3.000m)
Dylan McIlrath ($1.295m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

and honestly, outside of a breakout year, I dont think Brassard gets 4M from the Rangers so some of these (Brassard,Stralman, Girardi?) may be high and the Rangers are still under the cap even with Hank being paid 8.5M

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:49 PM
MessierIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Hi, you seem to wanting to give Hank a very bad (for him) contract, which in reality means you want to see him traded, since he obviously won't sign for 6mil like you mentioned before you wanted to pay him ( ) (you've given that hint in some previous posts), I called you out for it in my previous post, I will assume you didn't see it since you didn't reply what you wanted to do if we got rid of Hank, because I assume you have names of realistic players availible you'd like us to get that would help us more than him.

Please don't dodge the question again. Thanks.
You are right. i am sorry. 6 mio is a very bad contract for the swedish king. The goalie that won the Cup this year. He must make 8 or 9 mio. I thought this is a public forum where one can express an opinion. I thought hank being outplayed in the playoffs by other teams' goalies were facts. Maybe I was wrong. Not worth being stalked (oops "called out" that is). As to names, somehow Lou found one to replace a HOF. No doubt Slats can do the same (look what did with Gomez). Anyway, sorry for interrupting the flowers for the king.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
There was an offer from Anaheim I liked, it was Fasth + Ryan + Palmieri + Sbisa for Hank + DZ.
How on earth do you like that offer? It's flat out terrible.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
You are right. i am sorry. 6 mio is a very bad contract for the swedish king. The goalie that won the Cup this year. He must make 8 or 9 mio. I thought this is a public forum where one can express an opinion. I thought hank being outplayed in the playoffs by other teams' goalies were facts. Maybe I was wrong. Not worth being stalked (oops "called out" that is). As to names, somehow Lou found one to replace a HOF. No doubt Slats can do the same (look what did with Gomez). Anyway, sorry for interrupting the flowers for the king.
You're extremely naive. You don't want to pay Lundqvist market value, and you expect that if we let him go, we magically find a replacement, good enough, for I guess way less than 5mil (because otherwise, what's the point right? 2-3 mil difference won't make or break us for a star player)? Because let's face it, with the roster we have now, Lundqvist is doing a hell lot of carrying the team, so if we free up the I dunno what, 7-8 mil that Lundqvist can realisticly cost, we'll use 4-5 of that to sign a new goalie whoever that may be, and that other 3-4 mil will make us so much better?

Your entire post is basically: Other GMs found good players, let Sather do it too. You do realize what players are availible right? If you prefer Schneider over Lundqvist, well sorry, I guess we're too late to jump on that train. Does that mean we're screwed?

Oh just a question for fun, let's say we'd have lost to Washington in game 7, like 1 goal difference lose, would that mean Lundqvist would have been outplayed in that series too? Your stance on it seem to be, series lost = Lundqvist outplayed by other goalie. Boston was almost eliminated by Toronto, I guess that's because Reimer almost outplayed Boston. I'm pretty sure we can trade for Reimer, you in for that?

Last edited by Jonimaus: 07-28-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old
07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:
What defines outplayed? Just winning? Because I wasn't as impressed by Rask's performance against us as you seem to be. I don't mean to feed into any feelings of bitterness you seem to be expressing, but I do happen to disagree with that point. I don't think we weould've made it past the first round with Lundqvist nevermind getting to the cup finals. In my eyes, the team around him failed him more than Lundqvist failed them, but like you said it's just an opinion. Which is why I ask the first question.

TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:03 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

he's going to join his brothers in Carolina

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
he's going to join his brothers in Carolina
IDK, he might want to join Joel in Frolunda instead, which I think would make a few posters happy over here.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
There's no such thing as a good fan generated, not informed by actual rumors trade proposal. It's the dumbest point of discussion in all of sports talk.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Gaborik was never in our long-term plans. Next year, he'll demand the maximum length contract for $8 million per. He might settle on something like $7.5 for 6 years, but not lower than that unless he has a terrible season. Either way, we were not going to re-sign him.

Nash is part of the team's long term.
That's all well and good, but that "long term plan" knocked a team that was a couple wins shy of a SCF appearance back into a position where they were clawing for a playoff spot in the last weeks of the season. The team blew up a cohesive unit in favor of more star power. Year after year the team continues to drop the ball when it comes to recognizing the pieces that make last year's team effective.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote