Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 14 & General Video Game Discussion Part Cinq

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Jopsey

vCash: 500
Has anyone else played The Last of Us on the ps3? I just beat it and it is ****ing amazing. It could be the best game I've every played.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
Has anyone else played The Last of Us on the ps3? I just beat it and it is ****ing amazing. It could be the best game I've every played.
I'm having a really hard time getting into it... And that's upsetting my GREATLY, because I keep hearing things like this.

I've never been a fan of stealth gameplay, I'm far too impatient for it. Also, the game is just plain depressing.

I need to play it sooner or later, though......

Old
07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1068
So I'm thinking of buying Civilization V. I've played Civ IV and it's great.

It should work with minimum settings on my laptop, so I'm wondering a few things..

Will it be playable on minimum settings?
Compared to Civ IV, what's different?

Thanks.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:10 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post

It should work with minimum settings on my laptop, so I'm wondering a few things..

Thanks.
Heard good things about the game. Haven't played it yet so don't listen to me

Old
07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:

Thanks.
I can't tell you anything about what the minimum settings... but the game is beautiful on max settings

The biggest thing that is different is no tile stacking. Only one military unit per tile (a non-military unit like a settler or worker can be on the same tile as a military unit)

also, the grid is hexagonal tiles now, makes things a little different.

You can purchase tiles for your cities instead of waiting for cultural expansion (which is only 1 tile at a time, rather than steadily expanding

If you get the game, i highly reccomend the gods & kings expansion. It adds religion and just seems to clean up the AI in general.

All in all it's a really fun game... Since i first played civ 3 it's been one of my favorite franchises.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:

Thanks.
Yes, it's playable on the minimum settings, although it can get quite demanding near the end (atomic era and forwards).

Compared to Civ IV... Well, I guess the hex system for starters. I haven't played Civ IV but with Gods & Kings as well as the Brave New World expansion, it's a brilliant, brilliant game. I heartily recommend it.

Oh, and gimme a holla if you ever fancy a game of civ

Old
07-27-2013, 03:03 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Brave New World is awesome, and also includes the Gods & Kings mechanics (everything except the new civs/scenarios from G&K).

Old
07-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

About halfway through BL2 TVHM now. My siren now has Ruin and Converge, which is awesome. Although I keep getting a little bored.

Old
07-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1068
Thanks guys, I think I'll buy it. And yes, Puhis, I'll definitely give you a holla

Old
07-28-2013, 03:27 AM
lucsamundy

whos getting nhl 14

Old
07-28-2013, 03:46 AM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucsamundy View Post
whos getting nhl 14
I hope the online Be a GM works a bit better this time

Old
07-28-2013, 08:47 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
whos getting nhl 14
I likely will for the 360. Probably my last 360 game until the Xbox One.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Quite possibly the last MS console game I buy. I've got no interest in the XBone.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Quite possibly the last MS console game I buy. I've got no interest in the XBone.
What makes the difference for you? I'm still having issues making up my mind... particularly now that it's been released (still not confirmed) that the PS4's OS will take up 3.5 GB of the consoles RAM compared to 3 GB of the XB1's multiple OS; that makes the consoles even more similar than before.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Quote:
whos getting nhl 14
Probably. I got my money's worth out of 13, so I'll probably trade it in for 14. Demo probably comes out in a month or so which should be interesting.

Old
07-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
What makes the difference for you? I'm still having issues making up my mind... particularly now that it's been released (still not confirmed) that the PS4's OS will take up 3.5 GB of the consoles RAM compared to 3 GB of the XB1's multiple OS; that makes the consoles even more similar than before.
Lets bullet point this up, as much for me as anyone else.
  • PS4 is more powerful.
  • Sony as a company doesn't make me want to stab myself in the eye for supporting them.
  • Sony has done more to win me as a customer (PS+, exclusives, customer-friendly policies).
  • Price point.
  • Kinect is stupid (as is all motion gaming), I don't want to be forced to pay extra for something I would never use.
  • I don't trust Microsoft to hold true to backpedaling on their horrible policies. They were perfectly fine telling us to screw ourselves once, what's to stop them from doing it again?
  • I'll be building a new PC in the next 2-3 months, so exclusives and convenience are the only reasons I'm getting a console at all. None of the XBone's exclusives or extra options so far are worth dealing with all of the above points. In fact, most of the XBone's extra features are a complete and utter waste of my time. Skype? While I'm playing a game? GTFO with that garbage.

I've probably got more, but that's what I can come up with 10 minutes after waking up.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:15 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
whos getting nhl 14
Oh I definitely am. The fighting aspect sounds really awesome. Hopefully they made the tweaks they needed to.

Quote:
GTA V and NHL 14. Most likely my last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Probably. I got my money's worth out of 13, so I'll probably trade it in for 14. Demo probably comes out in a month or so which should be interesting.
Same. But it was mostly BaGM

Quote:
Lets bullet point this up, as much for me as anyone else.
  • PS4 is more powerful.
  • Sony as a company doesn't make me want to stab myself in the eye for supporting them.
  • Sony has done more to win me as a customer (PS+, exclusives, customer-friendly policies).
  • Price point.
  • Kinect is stupid (as is all motion gaming), I don't want to be forced to pay extra for something I would never use.
  • I don't trust Microsoft to hold true to backpedaling on their horrible policies. They were perfectly fine telling us to screw ourselves once, what's to stop them from doing it again?
  • I'll be building a new PC in the next 2-3 months, so exclusives and convenience are the only reasons I'm getting a console at all. None of the XBone's exclusives or extra options so far are worth dealing with all of the above points. In fact, most of the XBone's extra features are a complete and utter waste of my time. Skype? While I'm playing a game? GTFO with that garbage.
Valid points. Except I want to know what Sony is going to do to protect my data then. They don't exactly have a fantastic track record in preventing theft of CC's, which you'll need for multiplayer IIRC.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Oh I definitely am. The fighting aspect sounds really awesome. Hopefully they made the tweaks they needed to.

GTA V and NHL 14. Most likely my last

Same. But it was mostly BaGM

Valid points. Except I want to know what Sony is going to do to protect my data then. They don't exactly have a fantastic track record in preventing theft of CC's, which you'll need for multiplayer IIRC.
I've subscribed to PS+ for 2ish years now. I've never had any issues, so they haven't given me a reason to be concerned.

Companies like Blizzard can't say the same thing.

In an effort for clarity, Microsoft hasn't lost any of my info, either. It's just not something I worry about.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
I've subscribed to PS+ for 2ish years now. I've never had any issues, so they haven't given me a reason to be concerned.

In an effort for clarity, Microsoft hasn't lost any of my info, either. It's just not something I worry about.
He's probably talking about the big Sony hack from a few years ago that ended up with thousands of account's details and credit cards all over the internet.

No, it's not a problem now, but the fact that it happened is definitely a knack against Sony.

And in all honesty, I would probably be going Sony if not for Halo + my invested gamertag and friends list. But Halo is like the franchise for me. I cannot go into a generation of consoles without having the possibility of playing a console Halo game. It's just what it comes down to for me.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:

Do explain.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:25 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I need help making that choice, I'm leaning towards the PS4.

I went through 3 Xbox's since 07...

I had a disk tray issue on my first one, then the RROD on the 2nd... Now I'm on my 3rd...

Disk tray issues and overheating are forcing me to get a new one...

The amount of heat it produces is ridiculous..

Old
07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I need help making that choice, I'm leaning towards the PS4.

I went through 3 Xbox's since 07...

I had a disk tray issue on my first one, then the RROD on the 2nd... Now I'm on my 3rd...

Disk tray issues and overheating are forcing me to get a new one...

The amount of heat it produces is ridiculous..
If it makes you feel any better I've had my PS3 for 5 years without any issues. And it was shipped to me in just a box. No, there was no padding. Just the box. Works like a champ.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
He's probably talking about the big Sony hack from a few years ago that ended up with thousands of account's details and credit cards all over the internet.

No, it's not a problem now, but the fact that it happened is definitely a knack against Sony.

And in all honesty, I would probably be going Sony if not for Halo + my invested gamertag and friends list. But Halo is like the franchise for me. I cannot go into a generation of consoles without having the possibility of playing a console Halo game. It's just what it comes down to for me.
For me it is the controller. The MS one is meant for gaming. I'm still on the fence, but that is why I want to see how the systems react once they go live in 4Q first.

Quote:
In this day and age, I'm concerned. Too many companies state their infrastructure is secure and then get their ***** handed to them once a DDos or Spearing attacks happens to them. Sony just happened to be one of the biggest gaming ones to happen. And the fact they "claimed" it was resolved and then had it happen again makes me concerned about how serious they are truly taking it.

Old
07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Jbcraig1883

Is Be A GM in NHL 12 worth giving a shot? I have played several hours of hockey sims before...I promise I don't expect it to be that specific but is the draft/development engine/algorithm (whatever you call it) any good?

Old
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

This might be the first year I'll get a Madden game. Not only that, but a Madden game and NOT an NHL.

Closed Thread