HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Hodgson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2013, 05:26 PM
  #76
Jamie Walker
Registered User
 
Jamie Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ahh much too soon to declare a winner on the deal IMO. Many suspected Hodgson to outproduce Kassian. That's not the way to judge these players. The impact on the game will be different for each, that's why this trade even goes down.

To me, it will be no contest if Kassian ever gets to Hodgson's level of production. He will be seen as the clearly better asset at that point. If he remains below, which is likely, then his impact away from the puck will have to be accounted for in the comparison. That point, however, will remain a point of a contention for a while.

Edit: Also your assessment of the early part of the season is off. Kassian was carrying the twins in the beginning. The started slow this year, after not having played anywhere else during the lock out. He was there to buoy them.
so Hodgson was helped by Vanek and Pominville,
the Sedin twins (two) were helped by Kassian


guess that means kassian >>>>>>>> Hodgson

Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:29 PM
  #77
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,413
vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
I would say a prospect or a talented 3rd line center.
Regier would hang up laughing and take a mental note to never talk trades with you again.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
  #78
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,829
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Probably not.

Kassiasn is a nice gritty winger but Hodgson is at least a number 2 center, maybe more.

Both kids at valuable assets, but that was not a great trade in terms of value.
Should have got a 2nd or a 3rd with Kassian but that's life. Nino for bits. Sometimes you just have to cut and run. Heck Forsberg for Erat.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  #79
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Hodgson leached off Vanek and Pominville.


You do realize Cody Hodgson had a better ppg last year then Pominville did right? Good lord, Hodgson had more goals then Kassian did points. Hodgson earned his points last year, Thomas Vanek can thank Hodgson for helping him reach a ppg last year. Pominville was by far the worst out of the 3 on that line ainec.

Kassian had 6 of his 11 points in his first 8 games then scored 5 more in his last 31 games which included a stint being sent back to the AHL. Saying that the Sedins leeched off Kassian in the beginning is laughable. Kassian has had one good 8 game stretch so far in his career and that's it. Buffalo is the winner so far and the result won't change either. Hodgson is already a legitimate top 6 center. Kassian still hasn't shown to be anything more then a bottom 2 line player at the moment.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  #80
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Should have got a 2nd or a 3rd with Kassian but that's life. Nino for bits. Sometimes you just have to cut and run. Heck Forsberg for Erat.
The common theme here is NHL roster players, something Kassian isn't yet, and why the trade was so dumb for a Vancouver team trying to win the Cup.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  #81
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,829
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Wow there is alot of hate for this kid in Vancouver. In Buffalo, Hodgson seems to be at every charity event and other events the Sabres hold. Sounds like a player that cares about more then just ice time and a payday.
He's a pro. He works out, trains, does charity etc. He just wanted an accelerated ride to top 6 ice time whether he wasn't ready for it defensively or not and wasn't prepared to wait, improve his all round game and earn it.

Don't hate him, he's just doing what he needs to to get ahead financially/career. It's just business.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:31 PM
  #82
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post


You do realize Cody Hodgson had a better ppg last year then Pominville did right? Good lord, Hodgson had more goals then Kassian did points. Hodgson earned his points last year, Thomas Vanek can thank Hodgson for helping him reach a ppg last year. Pominville was by far the worst out of the 3 on that line ainec.

Kassian had 6 of his 11 points in his first 8 games then scored 5 more in his last 31 games which included a stint being sent back to the AHL. Saying that the Sedins leeched off Kassian in the beginning is laughable. Kassian has had one good 8 game stretch so far in his career and that's it. Buffalo is the winner so far and the result won't change either. Hodgson is already a legitimate top 6 center. Kassian still hasn't shown to be anything more then a bottom 2 line player at the moment.

You went from BUF "won the trade", to they are the "winner so far", to "result won't change either"... Knowing that Kassian is 22 years old and Hodgson 23. Seems like a very certain opinion, but that's all it is. People will rightfully refute it.

The Sedins were buoyed by Kassian early on. Fans watching the games at that time remarked in kind. The Sedins got going about game 15~ or so. They should not have sat idle during the lockout IMO.

Can you quantify what Kassian does away from the puck for me? Why is a lower scoring winger seen to have equal value to a higher scoring C, if not for the differences in their game away from the puck? And before people use this to springboard into more Gillis bashing, take a look at what Roy and Clowe each garnered at the deadline. Pretty similar value, but Roy is the more consistent scorer.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 06:38 PM
  #83
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker View Post
so Hodgson was helped by Vanek and Pominville,
the Sedin twins (two) were helped by Kassian


guess that means kassian >>>>>>>> Hodgson

Sarcasm aside, I think Hodgson is better right now. People thought this at the time of the trade too. However, the only way this trade goes down is if Gillis thinks Kassian's upside is greater than Hodgson's own. So he takes on risk now, to benefit later. Some fans wanted that risk to be compensated with an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, but it didn't happen. Oh well. It just means that each GM is banking on a certain ceiling for Kassian. Regier is banking on a lower end ceiling, while Gillis is banking on a top6 ceiling. Let's see what happens...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
  #84
Strangelove
Registered User
 
Strangelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Location! Location!
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
One thing is certain, you have no clue what you're talking about.
Oh really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
First off, yes Hodgson defense left a lot to be desired
Oh so I DO have a clue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
, however Vanek and Pominville were put out to create offense, not defend against the other team.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Other than Ennis(who did not play with Vanek and Pominville due to Hodgson's chemistry with them and the fact that Foligno, Ennis, Stafford was a successful line at the end of the previous year), who else is going to be put in that center role? Ott? Hecht, oh how about the later acquisition of Kevin Porter? Since we have a severe lack of centers, Cody was put into the best spot, because he was our best offensive center.
Yup, Hodgson was handed prime linemates/icetime despite the fact he sucked defensively.

Just like I said, no?

Wake me when we get to the part about me "not having a clue".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
To refute your point about him being gifted a spot, he was actually demoted during the year because he was playing poorly
That was one game.

And in that one game he played on the #1 PP (10:29 TOI that game).

That game occurred during the 2nd half of the season in which he averaged 3:51 PP.

(he average 18:23 TOI on the season)

So yeah, you haven't "refuted my point" bro....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Oh, on a sidenote Hodgson our best forward during the games that Vanek was out due to injury.
Hmmm… I see he had 7 points in the 10 games Vanek missed.

1 goal (Pominville assisted on it) 6 assists (3 of which came on Pominville goals)

So yeah this does nothing to disprove the Rode Vanek/Pominville Theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I'm not denying that Hodgson has a lot of work to do, mostly with his defensive work.
Well that was my main point.

My other point was that he rode Vanek and Pominville while they were hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
But I love how Canuck fans continue to bash the kid...
All I did was question his attitude (and gave reason).

Oh and the defensive side of his game (but you agreed).

Oh and the fact he rode you-know-who and you-know-who (hopefully you now agree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Godson to cancer and a bum in not even a month after being traded. Pathetic.
Hopefully you're not referring to yours truly here.

And in fairness to other Canuck fans, most of the facts came out after the trade.


Last edited by Strangelove: 07-28-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
  #85
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post


You do realize Cody Hodgson had a better ppg last year then Pominville did right? Good lord, Hodgson had more goals then Kassian did points. Hodgson earned his points last year, Thomas Vanek can thank Hodgson for helping him reach a ppg last year. Pominville was by far the worst out of the 3 on that line ainec.

Kassian had 6 of his 11 points in his first 8 games then scored 5 more in his last 31 games which included a stint being sent back to the AHL. Saying that the Sedins leeched off Kassian in the beginning is laughable. Kassian has had one good 8 game stretch so far in his career and that's it. Buffalo is the winner so far and the result won't change either. Hodgson is already a legitimate top 6 center. Kassian still hasn't shown to be anything more then a bottom 2 line player at the moment.
Powerforwards take longer to develop. Just look at Bertuzzi. Kassian got 11 points in 39 games playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines with little pp time.

"Buffalo is the winner so far and the result won't change either" <--- This made me laugh.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:28 PM
  #86
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Powerforwards take longer to develop. Just look at Bertuzzi. Kassian got 11 points in 39 games playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines with little pp time.

"Buffalo is the winner so far and the result won't change either" <--- This made me laugh.
It's probably right though is te thing. Kassian has a long way to go to even catch up with where Hosgson is right now, let alone surpass him. (Not to mention, Hodgson's gonna keep getting better too.) Will continue to lol at all the hate Vancouver fan give Cody though.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:39 PM
  #87
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Why would Cody want out? Oh right, because the team made a series of decisions that damaged Hodgson's development, starting with AV's pants-on-head-dumb treatment of his back injury, and continuing right up until they decided to "showcase" him, when he was getting a 30% offensive start ratio and playing with Vancouver's revolving door of bottom six grinders..
Cody wanted out because he didn't get the role that he (or his parents/agent) wanted to start his career. He came on a team that had 2 elite centers playing the top 2 lines. Do you bump Henrik or Kesler down to accommodate Cody? Should any rookie be entitled to that?

And if you're going to blame AV for his treatment of his back injury, why wouldn't you blame Cody's own doctors who were the first to misdiagonse that same injury? AV isn't a doctor and yes he screwed up by accepting what Cody's own family doctors had to say of his injury. That injury was first misdiagnosed by his own doctors then the Canucks team doctors, and it was only later by the Canucks team doctors that they disagnosed it properly. So blaming AV for his comments, based on what 2 different sets of doctors stated in their own initial diagnonis (again including Cody's own doctors), is bunk!

As for the role he was given, he was given sheltered minutes on the 3rd line because he was crap defensively. AV had his game plan with Henrik and Kesler and Hodgson was given the easy minutes behind them. This is a coach that just won the President's trophy (by a big margin) and didn't have a 3rd line defensive center as he likes to use, so he used Cody the way he should - and I emphasis the word "used" because it's not about what's best for the player here but what's best for the team. Would you rather have a coach that coddles a rookie player instead of doing what's best for his team's success? Maybe in Buffalo when they are rebuilding and have to put an emphasis on player development. But not on a team that is coming off the season they are, where their core was in their prime. You use every player to put them in the best position for "TEAM" success. But that word "TEAM" I know was lost on Cody from the moment he stepped in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
The "we were just developing Cody like all our other prospects" line is bunk. While the Sedins got third line minutes early on in their careers, they were also two players with elite pedigree who got to develop on a line together. Kesler started off as a defensively oriented grinder because he's a defensively oriented ginder. Had Vancouver given Cody a decent winger, and/or set him up to feast on offensive mismatches the way most teams with two elite centers do, he's probably still a Canuck. AV's deployment strategy was wholly unique, and very, very bad for someone with Hodgson's skillset.
.
Had Vancouver given Cody a decent winger, you take that decent winger away from the Sedins or Kesler, and they are the horses you go with if you want team success, not to cater to a 20 YO rookie. This seems lost on some people here, like you?? There is a salary cap in the league, you can not stack every line. Most teams have 3rd line players on their 3rd line, and they play their top-6 wingers with their top centers. The Canucks top centers were Henrik and Kesler, and Cody was (and still is) no where near developed enough to overtake them and have the top wingers on the team play next to him. Cody was a rookie joining a President's trophy winning team as the #3 center on the depth chart, who was absolutely terrible defensively and couldn't handle the defensive match-ups that team's system required for a traditional 3rd line center. So who do you accommodate here? Cody? Pesonally, I go with the decisions of the coach with a proven track record coming off a franchise record setting season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Because the GM and coach did a hell of a lot to contribute to the circumstances that led to Hodgson demanding a trade. Only somebody blindly toeing the team's line would casually omit how much of a two-way street this situation was..
I'm not someone blindly towing the team's line. I'm a die-hard Canucks fan, not a Cody fan, that has followed this team for over 30 years, and just saw them put up the best season in franchise history, with a coach who ran a team that was 1st overall in almost every team category - something that no team in the league has done since the 77 Habs. I'm going to trust in that coach to make the decisions that best serve the team's goals - winning! Not catering to what a rookie and his family demand of the team.

Again you're looking at this from a Sabres POV - a team trying to develop their young talent where the priority is not winning now, but to develop that young talent to win one day. The Canucks were not in that position. They needed Cody to do what the team needed to succeed, not what Cody needed to succeed.

And blaming the coach here is just downright stupid! Again you're criticising the decisions made by a coach who's coming off the best season in franchise history and was still able to win another President's trophy during Cody's rookie season despite the problems they had with him. How many coaches have won back to back President's since that trophy came into existence? But no we should blame the GM and coach of that franchise who's goals it is to actually win, and side with a spoiled rookie who feels he deserves special treatment and won't accept the role that the club gives him?


Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Maybe, maybe not. He did turn around and trade for a third "name" center after getting spanked carrying pretty much just Sedin/Kesler into the 2012 playoffs. He set the team back by trading Hodgson for something other than an immediate NHL upgrade. All his good moves (Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Garrison, Malhotra) can be offset by his bad (Booth, Kassian, Ballard, Lapierre-Pahlsson center depth), possibly and then some..
He didn't set the team back by trading Hodgson. He moved a guy out that wanted out. A player that his teammates lost respect for and basically insulted by taping a "C" on his jersey for acting like he was entitled to something. As a GM of a team do you keep a player like that? Do you deal the core because they don't get along with the rookie?

Gillis is 2 seasons removed from GM of the year. He is the first GM in Canucks history to win a Presidents' setting the team up for one of the most successful seasons that any team has had in over 30 years. He followed that season up by winning a 2nd Presidents'. This after taking over a team that was in the bottom 10 in the league - and went on to win the division his first year and hasn't missed the playoffs since. How rare is it for a team to win back to back Presidents' following that? Yes he's made some mistakes, but which GM hasn't? He has a long leach right now given his successes, and is no where near being fired at this stage. Anyone that thinks that either has a hate on for Gillis, or just doesn't understand how difficult it is to put together the type of seasons he has. He is easily the most successful GM in franchise history, and that doesn't put you anywhere close to being fired because of a couple disappointing seasons after.


Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Who paid their dues on a contender? Pretty much their entire talent pool was developed elsewhere or on editions of the team that had enough trouble making the playoffs, much less winning four rounds.
There is NO ONE on the team that was given top line minutes right away. Not a single player. Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, Schneider. Every single player drafted and developed by the Canucks paid their dues - WITHOUT A SINGLE EXCEPTION! Every one of them developed under AV. Not a single one of them complained about their roles. Maybe the reason why so many Canucks fans are soured on Cody is because he has been the LONE exception. In fact since following the Canucks since the mid-70s, I can't think of a single rookie that has come into our system, under any coach or GM we've had, that has raised issues with how they were used as a rookie and demanded anything from the team. To have a rookie come on to a top team and make any kind of demands at all was just ridiculous. Again, it was so ridiculous that even his own teammates - guys that have been through the system here and developed under AV - made fun of the kid!

And that basically is the bottom line. You have a rookie that made demands about his role, his family/agent that felt they had any say in how he should be used on a team, and a locker room that lost respect for him because of those actions, what do you do as a GM of that team? You move the piece out that's creating the problems, not cater to him!

Maybe things in Vancouver could have been different with Cody if we were a rebuilding team like Buffalo and cared more about how best we could develop him as a prospect instead of how best to win as a team. That's where Cody obviously placed his priorities and it's great for him that he's joined a rebuilding Sabres team where those priorities align. They didn't in Vancouver. We cared more about winning then making a rookie happy so he can maximize his earning potential on his next contract. Good for Cody to find a situation that works for him. It didn't work in Vancouver, not with the team's goals, and not with his teammates that also saw him as an entitled rookie who's situation should take priority over team goals. Maybe in Buffalo he can develop properly and get his big contract quicker, and actually earn that "C" one day, rather than have a locker room full of teammates that joke about it by taping one on his jersey?


Last edited by NFITO: 07-28-2013 at 07:44 PM.
NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:54 PM
  #88
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Cody wanted out because he didn't get the role that he (or his parents/agent) wanted to start his career. He came on a team that had 2 elite centers playing the top 2 lines. Do you bump Henrik or Kesler down to accommodate Cody? Should any rookie be entitled to that?


Had Vancouver given Cody a decent winger, you take that decent winger away from the Sedins or Kesler, and they are the horses you go with if you want team success, not to cater to a 20 YO rookie. This seems lost on some people here, like you?? There is a salary cap in the league, you can not stack every line. Most teams have 3rd line players on their 3rd line, and they play their top-6 wingers with their top centers.


Again you're looking at this from a Sabres POV - a team trying to develop their young talent where the priority is not winning now, but to develop that young talent to win one day. The Canucks were not in that position. They needed Cody to do what the team needed to succeed, not what Cody needed to succeed.

And that basically is the bottom line. You have a rookie that made demands about his role, his family/agent that felt they had any say in how he should be used on a team, and a locker room that lost respect for him because of those actions, what do you do as a GM of that team? You move the piece out that's creating the problems, not cater to him!
It is a fair question to ask a coach what exactly their role is with the team.

He was stuck behind two very good centers thus he may not get a chance to get anywhere for a few years. Maybe his dad saw that ad wanted him to get dealt to another team so he felt he had a better shot at a #1 or #2 Center job.

This trade happened because of need in both teams. Vancouver needed young winger more and buffalo needed a Center more. they were drafted right around the same spot in consecutive drafts (Hodgson #10 2008 and Kassian #13 2009). Neither one had made an impact at the NHL level.

The fact that Vancouver was trying to win now had no bearing in this trade. Its not like Vancouver was acquiring a veteran for a playoff run.


i have talked about this in other posts of mine----

With a hard salary cap now a team cant create a fantasy hockey team of all stars. You need to utilize some cheap players to fill out your roster.

When it comes to forwards if you subbudget the cap to $37M for forwards, $26M for Dmen/G and $1.3M for call ups and deadline moves.

With the $36M if you allocate--- line 1: $15M , line 2: $10M, line 3: $7M, 5 forwards: $4M.

What teams would likely do is balance out the roster over 3 lines where you may have 1 high paid player, 1 medium paid and a cheap player. line 1($12M): $7M C, $4M LW, $1M RW line 2 ($11M): $4.5M C, $1.5M LW, $5M RW line 3($9M): $2.5M C, $2.5M LW, $3M RW

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:24 PM
  #89
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,262
vCash: 883
What's he asking? Stamkos money?

Great hands. Good vision.

Terrible skater and bad attitude.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:34 PM
  #90
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
It is a fair question to ask a coach what exactly their role is with the team.

He was stuck behind two very good centers thus he may not get a chance to get anywhere for a few years. Maybe his dad saw that ad wanted him to get dealt to another team so he felt he had a better shot at a #1 or #2 Center job.

This trade happened because of need in both teams. Vancouver needed young winger more and buffalo needed a Center more. they were drafted right around the same spot in consecutive drafts (Hodgson #10 2008 and Kassian #13 2009). Neither one had made an impact at the NHL level.

The fact that Vancouver was trying to win now had no bearing in this trade. Its not like Vancouver was acquiring a veteran for a playoff run.



i have talked about this in other posts of mine----

With a hard salary cap now a team cant create a fantasy hockey team of all stars. You need to utilize some cheap players to fill out your roster.

When it comes to forwards if you subbudget the cap to $37M for forwards, $26M for Dmen/G and $1.3M for call ups and deadline moves.

With the $36M if you allocate--- line 1: $15M , line 2: $10M, line 3: $7M, 5 forwards: $4M.

What teams would likely do is balance out the roster over 3 lines where you may have 1 high paid player, 1 medium paid and a cheap player. line 1($12M): $7M C, $4M LW, $1M RW line 2 ($11M): $4.5M C, $1.5M LW, $5M RW line 3($9M): $2.5M C, $2.5M LW, $3M RW
I don't know how anyone who actually followed the situation can believe this.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:34 PM
  #91
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post


You do realize Cody Hodgson had a better ppg last year then Pominville did right? Good lord, Hodgson had more goals then Kassian did points. Hodgson earned his points last year, Thomas Vanek can thank Hodgson for helping him reach a ppg last year. Pominville was by far the worst out of the 3 on that line ainec.

Kassian had 6 of his 11 points in his first 8 games then scored 5 more in his last 31 games which included a stint being sent back to the AHL. Saying that the Sedins leeched off Kassian in the beginning is laughable. Kassian has had one good 8 game stretch so far in his career and that's it. Buffalo is the winner so far and the result won't change either. Hodgson is already a legitimate top 6 center. Kassian still hasn't shown to be anything more then a bottom 2 line player at the moment.
The revisionist history doesn't surprise me. Back when Eberle was ripping it up in the World Juniors Canuck fans said he was leeching off Hodgson.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
  #92
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,198
vCash: 500
As a Canuck fan, I agree with how obnoxious some of these Canuck fan posts are.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
  #93
topched88
Registered User
 
topched88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
As a Canuck fan, I agree with how obnoxious some of these Canuck fan posts are.
This. Would love a re-do on this situation. They could have packaged Schneider Hodgson + and got a return greater than horvat and kassian I think

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:41 PM
  #94
ZeroPT
Beast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
What's he asking? Stamkos money?

Great hands. Good vision.

Terrible skater and bad attitude.
Where un gods name did you see him asking for stamkos money? He is Not a terrible skater, he's slow but he is a very intelligent skater and has a good stride. Attitude? Again you're just spouting nonsense, he works hard,trains hard and does community events, he's not Colby Armstrong but he has a positive attitude and fives his all to the team. You're clueless.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
  #95
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
What's he asking? Stamkos money?

Great hands. Good vision.

Terrible skater and bad attitude.
Someone is still bitter.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:07 PM
  #96
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Where un gods name did you see him asking for stamkos money? He is Not a terrible skater, he's slow but he is a very intelligent skater and has a good stride. Attitude? Again you're just spouting nonsense, he works hard,trains hard and does community events, he's not Colby Armstrong but he has a positive attitude and fives his all to the team. You're clueless.
I think the questions about his attitude come from his situation in Vancouver and having his parents and agent involved in asking the team to play him in a specific role which the club was not putting him in.

When your own teammates make fun of you as they did in the Canucks locker room, you have to consider that maybe there was something wrong with his attitude in Vancouver at least. I'm not saying that any of this stuff has or will ever come up in Buffalo, but it must have rubbed his teammates the wrong way for them to make fun of him the way they did because he was asking for specific roles/treatment as a rookie on a veteran team.

Given what had happened in Vancouver, where he was playing behind 2 undeniably better centers, who were both core players and leaders on the team, and having a rookie's parents/agent get involved in asking the team to play him in a different role, would you not question such a player's attitude? When your own teammates tape a "C" on your jersey as a rookie player because of such things coming out that he wanted to play a different role then what the coach put him in, how do you not question a player's attitude?

I don't know Cody personally, and everything else I've heard about him suggests he's a mature kid for his age, who's responsible and has qualities that could one day make him a captain. All I can base my opinions on is what has been released to the public with this situation. What we've been told is that his father and agent became involved and wanted the club to play him differently then they were, and that his teammates thought this was enough of a joke to tape a "C" on his jersey. To me that certainly opens the door to question his attitude, at least as far as his situation in Vancouver. I'm sure none of that has come up in Buffalo, given that he's not playing behind 2 better centers, and is getting all the top-6 icetime with top-6 linemates and scoring opportunities to score the best contract he can, so it's not surprising that he'd be happy there at all. We all knew that he, his father and agent were not happy with his role and situation in Vancouver. If he stayed in Vancouver long-term, it's very likely that his next contract, maybe next 2 contracts, would have been a lot lower than if he played somewhere he could put up more points in a top-6 role. We also know that his teammates, coaching staff and GM weren't happy with a rookie asking for any special treatment at all. Though I fully understand from a financial POV why his parents/agent would ask the team to put him in a better situation to produce or demand he get moved - that's a multi-million $$ impact longterm in his career. The team however was not in a position to cater to a rookie's financial hopes over the goals in place for the team, and that's what ultimately IMO forced the trade.

Having said that, I don't deny Cody being a solid top-end young player who will have a bright future in this league. He's got things to work on for sure, specifically his defensive game, but he's a hell of a talent overall. But the fact that he didn't want to play in Vancouver for whatever reason, as fans we move on and support the players that want to be here. Whatever attitude problems he had/has is tied to his situation in Vancouver and it doesn't mean that he'll have the same problems in Buffalo given that his situation is completely different there.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:56 PM
  #97
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Hodgson can definitely put the puck in the net, but his "camp drama" issues and more importantly his atrocious defensive play

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/05...ad-at-defence/

Quote:
With the exception of the Vancouver PD, who will be saving several million dollars on beefed-up police presence thanks to the Canucks’ early playoff exit, most of Vancouver is pretty sour on the hockey team since their sweep at the hands of the San Jose Sharks. But if you need some cheering up, here’s a little tidbit about former Canuck Cody Hodgson that should make you feel a little better about that trade.

Hodgson finished the year with 15 goals and 34 points, second on the Sabres to Thomas Vanek in both categories. THAT’S NOT THE PART THAT’S SUPPOSED TO CHEER YOU UP. Offensively, he was very, very effective. His 2.91 goals per 60 minutes put him ahead of guys like Claude Giroux, Nicklas Backstrom, and Brad Richards.

But the Canucks’ concerns regarding Hodgson were always on the defensive end, and there, according to John Vogl, Hodgson still had a lot of work to do. The guy’s about as one-way as downtown Cordova Street. From the Buffalo News:
The focus for Hodgson will be defense. The 23-year-old saw goal lights flashing at both ends of the rink all season. His advance stats feature offensive promise and defensive nightmares.

[...]


Last edited by spiny norman: 07-29-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: please do not post entire article
Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:14 AM
  #98
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Hmmm… I see he had 7 points in the 10 games Vanek missed.

1 goal (Pominville assisted on it) 6 assists (3 of which came on Pominville goals) [/QUOTE]

He was on the ice with pominville what do you want him to do score ten unassisted goals? He fit in with Vanek and Pommer and if you watched the games he actually created a lot of that offence. A bunch of daniel sedins goals were assisted by henrik sedin I guess he must be riding henriks coattails right?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:20 AM
  #99
biturbo19
Registered User
 
biturbo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Hodgson can definitely put the puck in the net, but his "camp drama" issues and more importantly his atrocious defensive play

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/05...ad-at-defence/
This is the same song and dance it's always been. Hodgson has defensive issues. Great. But the point still remains, prior to the trade to Buffalo, those issues were largely sheltered with his 'protected' deployment. And in those 'protected' minutes, Hodgson still showed very well offensively. You toss a guy like that onto a top line with zero insulation, and yeah...he's going to get lit up defensively.

It's not as though Kassian is a remotely reliable defensive player either. And he doesn't even have the physical limitations to fall back on as an excuse.

Both players have some serious warts. But at this point, Hodgson is the vastly more productive player...no matter the role.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:23 AM
  #100
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Just because our bumbling fumbling GM screwed that whole thing up doesn't mean Hodgson won't come back when Gillis is canned, which based on the past 2 years shouldn't be far from now.

The kid has amazing vision, a great shot, and so much potential. He will break out very soon.
I tend to agree, Cody is going to be a very good to excellent top 6 player in the NHL for a very long time. Not a superstar but a very good player.

Buffalo is stocking up on some really good talent down the middle.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.