HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stop bashing Marek

Old
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
malik had two assists last night.. why would we bash him.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Those were shots from the perimeter. As long as opposition does perimeter shots, the job of the defenseman is done. You've got your forwards to take care about perimeter. The first D that moves towards the point to challenge the shooter or for any other reason should be out of the team. Malik was standing waiting for Weeks rebounds to clear the slot, something many were complaining about here. Yet, when he did what he was supposed to do he is now blamed for not jumping on every Duck .
HE WASN'T EVEN TRYING TO CLEAR THE REBOUNDS!

GOD! Did you even watch the effing game!?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Using the skates to move and even control the puck with is the basic skill possessed by all NHL players. Soccer experience helps, but not required. Thus, kick was not unusual, but rather a correct play on his part that ended up with wrong deflection.
For some reason people think that D should have zero misplays, while goalie might allow a few. Just opposite is true. I did not see any problem with our defensemen last night. If they play like that all year we'll be just fine. Ozolinch, Rachunek, Tyutin and Ward were above par, while Malik and Rozy were right at it. Our defense alone have won critical 3rd period for us, making Weeks life pretty easy during intense Ducks attacks. The first pair took most load as usual.
To imply Malik had a better game than Weekes is just silly. If the "kick" works out as he wanted he wanted it to, it proves just as useless as assisting on a basically unsavable blast from the slot because the puck would have gone right to the point for a blast as well. There are things about a big defenseman that prove to be an asset to a team such as physicality and puck possession. To say that a huge defenseman like him is going to be slow should be obvious and accepted, but Malik is not only so slow, he is so soft and has basically no offensive ability. I've never seen such a big man be so soft, especially a Dman. I think he is by far the worst defenseman on the Rangers. Rozsival tends to do some stupid Pee Wee things and turn the puck over as well, but atleast he isnt slower than Hatcher (as someone pointed out) and he has some offensive ability.

What is this bashing Weekes stuff, he played maybe the second best game a Rangers goalie has played this year. There were two softies, one in which it looked like he was screened, but dont forget the big saves he made and the rebounds he did not give up. I couldnt help but to think in the third period that if Lundqvist was in net one of those Anaheim PP shots would have gone in.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
he played maybe the second best game a Rangers goalie has played this year.
That's just a sad indictment of the play of the goaltending this year.

Weekes played an average game, not great but not bad... the defense (don't read defensemen) was better last night than it's been since the preseason. They need to continue improving, however. 33 shots is more than we want to give up.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Gamma82

Quote:
So instead of bashing him, I suggest to root for the guy. He didn't play his best at season start, but I do not think it is required in October. March and April is what we need from him.
I'll root hard for him to be traded, in March and April what we need is for Harry to be playing somewhere else.

Gamma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
FLYLine24*

Malik was horrendous yesterday night and was easily the worst player on the ice for both teams. How can you defend the guy? You must be a huge Malik fan to not see how horrible he was yesterday night.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:44 AM
eco's bones

Most of our D have been lousy this year. The exception is Aaron Ward. Tyutin has been okay. Pck was also okay but doesn't get to play anymore. Personally I don't think our 3rd and 4th lines have been that great (apart from Hollweg) this year and with that has come less support to the defense. Malik has been brutal--just as easily could have sent him to Hartford as Kaspar. The same could be said for Rachunek and Roszival. Teams are forechecking us harder because they can see that these guys are going to cough the puck up.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Fletch

That was my secon guess, 94...

Levitate - I was with you early on regarding Rachunek - but that lasted about two games for me. Pock too, for the most part. I find him to be particularly weak defensively, and nearly as weak offensively. Many of the goals for which he was on the ice I had pegged on him; either being out of position, or what have you. I thought his benching was well-deserved and wasn't all that excited last night. To me, Ward was the only defenseman who really stood out and played very well. Despite all the PP time for the Rangers, they gave up a heck of a lot of chances.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 01:00 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Malik played very well last night. Thanks to him we didn't loose. He did have two bad bounces, but I'd rather blame Weeks for not bailing him out (both shots were pretty easy, although hard ones). The bounces were misfortunes, not mistakes. He played correctly there in the corner before Getslaf's goal. The were no one in white to pick up his kick as there should be. Unlike many fans Renney understands and appreciates his contribution. Plus, realistically we do not and we will not have a better stay-at-home D this season. So instead of bashing him, I suggest to root for the guy. He didn't play his best at season start, but I do not think it is required in October. March and April is what we need from him.
To blame Weekes and pardon Malik is the grossest example of bias I have seen of recent. The first one I don't really blame Malik, he got taken out from behind. But I will not blame Weekes for no bailing him out when Pronger blasts one into the top corner. The second one, come on, that is all Malik. A perfect pass into the wheelhouse for a onetimer? I don't care if it deflected (which I didn't notice), hit a rut in the ice or whatever misfortunate incident occurred, it was a bad play. I had no problem with Malik last season, he played very well but this season he is god awful and I will not root for him until he decides to start performing at a minimum level befitting the jersey.

Quote:
Using the skates to move and even control the puck with is the basic skill possessed by all NHL players. Soccer experience helps, but not required. Thus, kick was not unusual, but rather a correct play on his part that ended up with wrong deflection.
For some reason people think that D should have zero misplays, while goalie might allow a few. Just opposite is true. I did not see any problem with our defensemen last night. If they play like that all year we'll be just fine. Ozolinch, Rachunek, Tyutin and Ward were above par, while Malik and Rozy were right at it. Our defense alone have won critical 3rd period for us, making Weeks life pretty easy during intense Ducks attacks. The first pair took most load as usual.
If kicking the puck is a basic skill, why did he botch the play so horrendously. By your own admission he should have and could have made a safe pass to his teammate with a kick. He failed to do so and cost his team a goal against. If you want to argue that it was misfortunately deflected than it is no longer a basic play and he should have avoided kicking it near an opponent's skate.

Quote:
Those were shots from the perimeter. As long as opposition does perimeter shots, the job of the defenseman is done. You've got your forwards to take care about perimeter. The first D that moves towards the point to challenge the shooter or for any other reason should be out of the team. Malik was standing waiting for Weeks rebounds to clear the slot, something many were complaining about here. Yet, when he did what he was supposed to do he is now blamed for not jumping on every Duck .

The one shot was an absolute blast by Pronger, one of the hardest shots in the league. One of his defensemen was crumpled on the ice while to Ducks were flanking him. What do you expect of Weekes?

The second shot was inside the circle, not exactly perimeter, it was also a one timer off of a perfect pass by flawless Malik. Even his mistakes are perfect.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 01:12 PM
DutchShamrock

Gotta love this quote from Renney on Ozolinsh :
"I believe deeply in Ozo and his work habits," Renney said. "Now he has to perform consistently to our standards."

I assume that pertains only to Ozolinsh and no one else on the team. He will call out Sandis after a decent game but fail to hold Malik up to any standards. Also, I don't really understand the hate for Rachunek, nothing great but he seems ok with a few forgettable games.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11022006...rry_brooks.htm

Old
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
AXN

I think I saw Malik get injured a little in the game. He left then came back. Don't find Malik that bad.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Malik played very well last night. Thanks to him we didn't loose. He did have two bad bounces, but I'd rather blame Weeks for not bailing him out (both shots were pretty easy, although hard ones). The bounces were misfortunes, not mistakes. He played correctly there in the corner before Getslaf's goal. The were no one in white to pick up his kick as there should be. Unlike many fans Renney understands and appreciates his contribution. Plus, realistically we do not and we will not have a better stay-at-home D this season. So instead of bashing him, I suggest to root for the guy. He didn't play his best at season start, but I do not think it is required in October. March and April is what we need from him.
Malik is garbage. One game doesn't make a season.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
To blame Weekes and pardon Malik is the grossest example of bias I have seen of recent. .

If kicking the puck is a basic skill, why did he botch the play so horrendously. By your own admission he should have and could have made a safe pass to his teammate with a kick. He failed to do so and cost his team a goal against. If you want to argue that it was misfortunately deflected than it is no longer a basic play and he should have avoided kicking it near an opponent's skate.
I don't blame Weeks. He had a good game. My point was it is often easier for goalie to stop the puck, than for Dman to prevent the shot. On the kick play Malik did not see where the shooter was. He simply could not see him. Nor he should. He was passing to a team mate that wasn't there. How come Getslaf(sp) was left alone? Where was our winger that supposed to be there at the point? I'll tell you where that winger was. He has already taken off and left the zone. That is why one timer happened. Our LW has left, everyone was thinking transition at the time, including Weeks who wasn't ready and was taken by surprise. Things like that happen, I don't blame Weeks, but Malik was just screwed with no reason on the play that should not result in a goal against.
On Pronger goal Weeks saw the shot clearly. Thus he had to stop it. No deflection, no close proximity like Jagr's goal on Giguere. Just make a save, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I had no problem with Malik last season, he played very well but this season he is god awful and I will not root for him until he decides to start performing at a minimum level befitting the jersey .
He did not have that much work last year. It is big difference to play when your unit has the puck most of the time (last year) vs not (this year). As soon as Jagr's line regains its lost dominance, Malik would be out of criticism.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Falls right in front of the net, kicks a pass blindy right at a Duck, no hits, not much stood out, sorry

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 06:03 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
On the kick play Malik did not see where the shooter was. He simply could not see him. Nor he should. He was passing to a team mate that wasn't there.
He did not have that much work last year. It is big difference to play when your unit has the puck most of the time (last year) vs not (this year). As soon as Jagr's line regains its lost dominance, Malik would be out of criticism.
That is exactly why that particular play was bad. Every single thing you listed is why he made a bad choice... I don't think I have to explain it anymore.

And if Malik's effectiveness is directly related to Jagr's puck possession than I have to ask what exactly is his value. I think everyone of us would be Norris trophy candidates if Jagr had the puck the entire game. I could be a +88 with probably at least 15 assists when he used my skates for a bank pass/shot. I don't know man, you aren't really convincing me at all

Old
11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
shoothepuck

Malik played a horrible game last night in that he was the direct result of two goals against.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
even if the puck was deflected by the kick, malik was still trying to kick the puck towards the center of the ice, you always use the boards, something they always tell u as a defensemen and i remember learning it when i started to play hockey so im pretty sure malik knows it as well, it was a dumb play to try and kick it through a few players and towards the center of the ice. malik and roszival make way too many risky passing plays in the defensive zone and fail to use the boards to clear the puck alot and that is why they are taking alot of heat thus far

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
You obviously have seen most of the Rangers games and are a very astute judge of talent. I mean who wouldn't want a huge d-man who doesn't hit, skates like he's stuck in molasses, lets his man get behind him a dozen or so times a game, continually tries to pass the puck up the middle, and has virtually no offensive skills. I'm surprised other GM's haven't been burning up the phone lines trying to add this Norris Trophy candidate! Let me guess your a Fishstick fan, right??

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Malik is a player that, for one reason or another, the consensus decided to bash in last year's preseason. He was an enormous asset all last season, but people still bashed him.

By no means am I indicating that he's been halfway decent so far this season, but maybe it makes the bashing more understandable.

If Malik plays well, he'll still get bashed by many fans (for lack of physicality or whatever it is) and if he plays poorly, he'll be verbally destroyed by fans. It's just the way it is with some players.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Malik is a player that, for one reason or another, the consensus decided to bash in last year's preseason. He was an enormous asset all last season, but people still bashed him.

By no means am I indicating that he's been halfway decent so far this season, but maybe it makes the bashing more understandable.

If Malik plays well, he'll still get bashed by many fans (for lack of physicality or whatever it is) and if he plays poorly, he'll be verbally destroyed by fans. It's just the way it is with some players.
I actually think that most people felt that Malik was pretty decent last season. He just seems flat-out disinterested this year.

11-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I actually think that most people felt that Malik was pretty decent last season. He just seems flat-out disinterested this year.
That's exactly how I see it, actually. I didn't mind his play at all last year. I think he was worlds better than Rozsival.

Old
11-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Gamma82

Quote:
I don't know, but after the first few games this season I'm start to think that the only reason Malik and Rosival looked good last season was the amount of time they spent on the ice with Jagr. Probably could add Nylander in there as well.

Last edited by Gamma82: 11-02-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Gamma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
That's exactly how I see it, actually. I didn't mind his play at all last year. I think he was worlds better than Rozsival.
Furthermore, it seems to me that Malik was the steadying influence. As I recall, Rozsival looked worse when Malik missed a few games.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Furthermore, it seems to me that Malik was the steadying influence. As I recall, Rozsival looked worse when Malik missed a few games.
Yeah, exactly. I don't understand what happened to the guy.

Old
11-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Taz

To me when i see Malik, he looks like he is still in preseason mode and is not hustling to anything.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote