HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The "Balls or No Balls" thread

Old
07-28-2013, 11:42 AM
boynickname

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Thomas is a top prospect that scored as many goals as Lars Eller did in his first year in the AHL. When someone is willing to give him to you in exchange for a player two years older with attitude and judgment issues who showed so little at the AHL level that he probably needs two more years there.....you grab it and don't worry that your acquisition is slightly smaller than the soft guy you are giving up.
When I was reading this article I could not help but think of this trade. I know it is a baseball story, but most important it talks about attitude.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/steve_phillips/?id=428490

I sure hope this last trade does not come back to haunt us like all the other trades with the NYR

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
When I was reading this article I could not help but think of this trade. I know it is a baseball story, but most important it talks about attitude.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/steve_phillips/?id=428490

I sure hope this last trade does not come back to haunt us like all the other trades with the NYR
Character is an issue. We've seen a lack of character offset tremendous talent in the Kostitsyns, Cole last season, Cammalleri the year before that.

More important, I think character is more important in a high-energy, collective game like hockey, than it is in the very individual one-play-at-a-time game of baseball. In baseball, it doesn't matter if you're playing for your team or your own stats when you're up at bat. When pitcher faces batter, talent may be all that matters.

The first thing I'd do is adjust those 'character-tests' given to Blue Jays prospects, to allow for maturity, evolution of confidence, etc. Obviously trying to quantify the psyche of a 19-year-old is tricky,

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:39 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Character is an issue. We've seen a lack of character offset tremendous talent in the Kostitsyns, Cole last season, Cammalleri the year before that.

More important, I think character is more important in a high-energy, collective game like hockey, than it is in the very individual one-play-at-a-time game of baseball. In baseball, it doesn't matter if you're playing for your team or your own stats when you're up at bat. When pitcher faces batter, talent may be all that matters.

The first thing I'd do is adjust those 'character-tests' given to Blue Jays prospects, to allow for maturity, evolution of confidence, etc. Obviously trying to quantify the psyche of a 19-year-old is tricky,
Very very good points about the difference between baseball and hockey.
Baseball looks more like a individual sport "kinda like golf" but when a player hits a homerun everyone on the bench is happy....I know I was when I played baseball.

High energy was not Alex Kovalev talent....but skill and attitude ripped through his veins....Character
Claude Lemieux....Character
Patrick Roy.....Character

You will always need a few " BAD BOYS " on the TEAM

Old
07-29-2013, 01:19 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
Baseball looks more like a individual sport "kinda like golf" but when a player hits a homerun everyone on the bench is happy....I know I was when I played baseball.

High energy was not Alex Kovalev talent....but skill and attitude ripped through his veins....Character

Those "bad boys" you claim had questionable "character", had something else that was undeniable and that was a "win at all cost attitude"

not all who lack character have that win at all cost attitude. i suppose as an organization you look for a balance in the make-up of player as well as team

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

Kovalev and character should not be used in the same sentence, unless it's with "lack of".

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:49 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Those "bad boys" you claim had questionable "character", had something else that was undeniable and that was a "win at all cost attitude"

not all who lack character have that win at all cost attitude. i suppose as an organization you look for a balance in the make-up of player as well as team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Kovalev and character should not be used in the same sentence, unless it's with "lack of".
Character is very subjective. Bad boys with win at all cost are loved by the fans of the teams they play for....and hated by the teams they play against.

If Kovalev was not a character, I do not understand the English definition of character

I just hope we did not make a mistake in trading Kristo away because he had a bad attitude....

Old
07-29-2013, 09:06 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Character is very subjective. Bad boys with win at all cost are loved by the fans of the teams they play for....and hated by the teams they play against.

If Kovalev was not a character, I do not understand the English definition of character

I just hope we did not make a mistake in trading Kristo away because he had a bad attitude....
It's not just attitude. It's that he arrived in the AHL and showed big problems adjusting to the league in, admittedly only, nine games.

Thomas is younger yet had a 19 goal season, which is Eller-esque.

If Thomas takes one more year to make it to the bigs, say in 2014-15, he will have five years with us before he hits UFA status.

If Kristo takes two years to make it to the bigs, he will have only 2 years left before UFA status.

I don't think this trade was very much about attitude, or at least not only so.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 09:29 AM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It's not just attitude. It's that he arrived in the AHL and showed big problems adjusting to the league in, admittedly only, nine games.

Thomas is younger yet had a 19 goal season, which is Eller-esque.

If Thomas takes one more year to make it to the bigs, say in 2014-15, he will have five years with us before he hits UFA status.

If Kristo takes two years to make it to the bigs, he will have only 2 years left before UFA status.

I don't think this trade was very much about attitude, or at least not only so.
That all sounds good and reasonable. I have watched Kristo play the last 3 years and believe he will be a top 6 forward with attitude and speed...win at all cost.

Thomas I know very little about...just what I read here.

I really do not want to see Kristo haunt us like so many trades we have made in the recent pass.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Pretty sure a player that can elevates his game in the playoffs have character.

Pretty sure a player that has a heart problem at a young age, stop playing hockey for 2 whole years and then practicing for hours/days/years to develop his talent to finally play in the NHL and get 1000+ pts pretty proves that he has character.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote