HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A deeper look at Drew Stafford

Old
07-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
A deeper look at Drew Stafford

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-curi...drew-stafford/

I've never been the biggest fan of him on the ice so I don't know how impartial I am but $4M for a guy who essentially is good for 30ish games isn't something I'd like on the team.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
I disagree with your conclusion that his streaky production lessens him as a player. Anecdotally speaking, these weren't Satan-points he was putting up in blowouts. And if the points were important when they came, it doesn't really matter as much when they came by the calendar.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Drew's usually good for 20G/50 pts a year. Certainly a 2nd line player in the NHL.

Up until last year, I questioned if Drew would ever put in the work necessary to take the next step, as it always appeared as if he'd just disappear for stretches.

Well, last year was the first year I saw a consistent effort from Stafford. Night in, night out he was one of the guys who always seemed to try. He skated hard, hit a bit, and hs developed into a steady 2-way player.

However, dude was SERIOUSLY snake-bitten last year. a 5% shooting percentage? That's not JUST a slump --- that's a slump PLUS some seriously bad luck. Staff is one of the guys I'm least worried about going into 13/14. He'll be there, on the 2nd line wing, killing penalties and playing the PP. He'll get his 17/18 min a game and hopefully be a positive influence on the young guys.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
That's true. If you applied his career % before last season to the number of shots he'd have scored 15 or so.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
That's true. If you applied his career % before last season to the number of shots he'd have scored 15 or so.
And then there's really no discussion of Stafford at all. $4 mil a year for a 20 goal scorer who can PK is about the going rate, if not a slight bargain.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:21 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Drew's usually good for 20G/50 pts a year. Certainly a 2nd line player in the NHL.

Up until last year, I questioned if Drew would ever put in the work necessary to take the next step, as it always appeared as if he'd just disappear for stretches.

Well, last year was the first year I saw a consistent effort from Stafford. Night in, night out he was one of the guys who always seemed to try. He skated hard, hit a bit, and hs developed into a steady 2-way player.

However, dude was SERIOUSLY snake-bitten last year. a 5% shooting percentage? That's not JUST a slump --- that's a slump PLUS some seriously bad luck. Staff is one of the guys I'm least worried about going into 13/14. He'll be there, on the 2nd line wing, killing penalties and playing the PP. He'll get his 17/18 min a game and hopefully be a positive influence on the young guys.

Or, he just phoned in many of his shots and didn't really try to hit corners.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:23 PM
BCS

He's a decent second-line winger making decent second-line winger money. I have no problem with him.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:32 PM
kjohnny

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2013/7/...d-wedding-hope

Stafford's comments were nothing but mature and class and hopefully his leadership and will to get better can help influence something around the team. Stafford just needs to learn to finish. He had some of the greatest opportunities out of any NHL player to put a goal away and just never could do it. If he can just finish and put those opportunities away he will be a solid 2nd line winger for us. If he can't we will continue to question him. Hopefully this is the year he gets back on track.

kjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnny View Post
http://www.diebytheblade.com/2013/7/...d-wedding-hope

Stafford's comments were nothing but mature and class and hopefully his leadership and will to get better can help influence something around the team. Stafford just needs to learn to finish. He had some of the greatest opportunities out of any NHL player to put a goal away and just never could do it. If he can just finish and put those opportunities away he will be a solid 2nd line winger for us. If he can't we will continue to question him. Hopefully this is the year he gets back on track.
Good on Drew, but a rare bad job by DBTB.

First, as we know, hit posts don't count as shots. So being unlucky and hitting the post doesn't have bearing on the shot percentage.

Second, and more notably, (and guys do it here as well - and it is wrong)...you can't automatically deduce that a team high in shots with a record low in conversion means bad luck that's bound to change. How many shots were harmless flutterers from a piss poor angle? How many shots were on rebounds to the side of the net? How many shots were deflected? How many shots were SOG but only because the goalie played it, even if headed wide in theory?

There was way more to Drew's underwhelming season than poor luck.

Things I noticed:

- he often eased up when carrying on attack ... Meaning, instead of maintaining or increasing speed through the neutral and into the offensive zones, he would ease up, slow down, wait for a trailer, that kind of thing. All well and good for playmaking centers with fantastic passing ability. For a guy with size and power, maintain your speed or gain some more, keep the puck outside, shoulder the pressure with your inner core, and go to the net

- less snap and wrist shots, more slap shots... Didn't care for this. I feel as though he has one of the better snapshots on the team, and a good wrist shot. Both underutilized

- he did a lot of "play analyzation" in the moment, relied too heavily on his linemates to dictate flow and pace of shift. He is a guy with enough size and speed to dictate, which he does great when he is on

I don't love him. I don't care for streaky scorers who can't be counted on. But I believe he bounces back from a brutal shortened season that saw him skyrocket up the "overpaid" charts

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:32 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

First, as we know, hit posts don't count as shots. So being unlucky and hitting the post doesn't have bearing on the shot percentage.
Technically if every post he hit last season went in the net instead his shot percentage would have changed. I believe that was their point. True they didn't count as shots, but if those found the net it would have changed things.

For me, everything with Drew goes back to game 6 against the Flyers when in the 3rd period he clanked the right post having beat the goalie to put buffalo up by 2. Too bad it didn't go in.... game of inches.

Last edited by SublimeNightmare: 07-26-2013 at 02:47 AM.
SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Things I noticed:

- he often eased up when carrying on attack ... Meaning, instead of maintaining or increasing speed through the neutral and into the offensive zones, he would ease up, slow down, wait for a trailer, that kind of thing. All well and good for playmaking centers with fantastic passing ability. For a guy with size and power, maintain your speed or gain some more, keep the puck outside, shoulder the pressure with your inner core, and go to the net

- less snap and wrist shots, more slap shots... Didn't care for this. I feel as though he has one of the better snapshots on the team, and a good wrist shot. Both underutilized

- he did a lot of "play analyzation" in the moment, relied too heavily on his linemates to dictate flow and pace of shift. He is a guy with enough size and speed to dictate, which he does great when he is on

I don't love him. I don't care for streaky scorers who can't be counted on. But I believe he bounces back from a brutal shortened season that saw him skyrocket up the "overpaid" charts
I bolded that part for a reason -- he was infinitely more effective when he used his speed and size to take the puck to the net. Even if he wasn't scoring, he was making something happen. But it's so few and far between, I wonder if he'll ever really put it together. I don't know if it's an effort thing or a mentality thing.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Or, he just phoned in many of his shots and didn't really try to hit corners.
yea, that's probably it...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
A 20-goal scoring, 50 point player regularly make in the mid-$4M range in the NHL. There is nothing wrong with his contract for what he provided up until this past season. The wheels came off for more than just him last year.

Does anyone have the link for the shot-chart breakdown of Stafford's season? I can't seem to locate it.

07-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Hockeymad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
I bolded that part for a reason -- he was infinitely more effective when he used his speed and size to take the puck to the net. Even if he wasn't scoring, he was making something happen. But it's so few and far between, I wonder if he'll ever really put it together. I don't know if it's an effort thing or a mentality thing.
YES!! The reason for his low shooting percentage and the use of slapshots is he was content to shot from outside. On so many plays when he ended up carrying the puck in the offensive zone he ended up taking a slapper from the half boards. When he muscles the puck towards the net on those plays, he creates offense for himself and others.

Hockeymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Hockeymad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
A 20-goal scoring, 50 point player regularly make in the mid-$4M range in the NHL. There is nothing wrong with his contract for what he provided up until this past season. The wheels came off for more than just him last year.

Does anyone have the link for the shot-chart breakdown of Stafford's season? I can't seem to locate it.
How is this?
http://www.sabreseverywhere.com/1/po...-shooting.html

Hockeymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymad View Post
Yep, that was it.

Staff needs to get inside more -- then again, that could likely be said about most of the Sabres menagerie of misfit toys.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:13 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
So if Drew's "luck" continues poorly and his shooting percentage is abysmal again, is he still just unlucky?

Luck doesn't last a full season, even a shortened one, sorry. He's just not the player he could, and should be.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
So if Drew's "luck" continues poorly and his shooting percentage is abysmal again, is he still just unlucky?

Luck doesn't last a full season, even a shortened one, sorry. He's just not the player he could, and should be.
Ryan Getzlaf 2011-12 season (5.9% shooting vs career 12.8% avg other 7 seasons)

Old
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Rowley Birkin

Stafford is part of the 'old core' that just needs to be moved on IMO. I'll admit I've never really been a fan, but his inconsistency, and seeming inability to have good seasons unless he's playing for a new contract annoy me even further.

That's not to say he couldn't be a success somewhere else because I think he can.

However I'd take whatever I could get for him TBH, even if its a 2nd/3rd round pick or something similar.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Stafford is part of the 'old core' that just needs to be moved on IMO. I'll admit I've never really been a fan, but his inconsistency, and seeming inability to have good seasons unless he's playing for a new contract annoy me even further.

That's not to say he couldn't be a success somewhere else because I think he can.

However I'd take whatever I could get for him TBH, even if its a 2nd/3rd round pick or something similar.
His 2nd best point per season was RIGHT AFTER he signed his recent deal.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:38 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hey, when agendas must be pushed...

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Generally speaking.

As it happens I don't think he gets moved so we'll see next year - but I'm not holding out much hope. Especially if he finds himself with a bigger role due to Vanek potentially leaving.

I'm interested as to why you see him as a part of the future though - since you're aboard the 'cleaning house' train ?

Old
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Generally speaking.

As it happens I don't think he gets moved so we'll see next year - but I'm not holding out much hope. Especially if he finds himself with a bigger role due to Vanek potentially leaving.

I'm interested as to why you see him as a part of the future though - since you're aboard the 'cleaning house' train ?
im interested in how you inferred that I am interested in him as part of the future?

Old
07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Generally speaking.

Nobody sees him as part of the future. They see him as a quality transition veteran that should be kept around while the future develops.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
im interested in how you inferred that I am interested in him as part of the future?
Its just an impression I get reading your posts nothing more.

You seem to side more on the pro-Stafford fence and tend to defend him here compared to others. I don't see you looking to shop him out as much as others in your trade proposals, roster builds etc.

Apologies if I am wrong with that.