HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2013, 10:47 AM
  #1
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Nathan Beaulieu

What are people's evaluation's of Beaulieu?

I'm having a bit of a tough time getting a read on him. He has a fantastic ceiling for an offensive defenseman, but he needs to:

A) Refine his defensive game in a big way, he's not ready to play much 5 on 5 in the NHL yet.

And

B) Embolden himself at the NHL level (trust his skills to be a difference maker offensively), as his value is reliant on him being an offensive player.


But there's also alot to like. He has Grade A tools for an offensive minded player, he has good size, he's got more edge than most players of his breed, and he's also coming off a great rookie pro year in Hamilton when considering he was one of the younger guys in the AHL, and that Hamilton lacked offensive talent in a big way.

Also, how should he be handled? I'm thinking he's timing perfectly for when Markov expires after this season, I expect to see him as a semi regular this year, something like 20 games or so, and then having himself ready for a regular spot in 2014-2015. I'd also like to see him dominate the AHL this year, but that might be tough considering his supporting cast.


I have Tinordi ahead of him personally in my personal evaluation, Tinordi is ready to step in and play an important role now and has plus makeup/leadership as opposed to questionable makeup/leadership, but I do consider Beaulieu our most interesting prospect, if not our best.


So what are people's thought's about Beaulieu?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  #2
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.
 
Montreal Impact FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
What are people's evaluation's of Beaulieu?

I'm having a bit of a tough time getting a read on him. He has a fantastic ceiling for an offensive defenseman, but he needs to:

A) Refine his defensive game in a big way, he's not ready to play much 5 on 5 in the NHL yet.

And

B) Embolden himself at the NHL level (trust his skills to be a difference maker offensively), as his value is reliant on him being an offensive player.


But there's also alot to like. He has Grade A tools for an offensive minded player, he has good size, he's got more edge than most players of his breed, and he's also coming off a great rookie pro year in Hamilton when considering he was one of the younger guys in the AHL, and that Hamilton lacked offensive talent in a big way.

Also, how should he be handled? I'm thinking he's timing perfectly for when Markov expires after this season, I expect to see him as a semi regular this year, something like 20 games or so, and then having himself ready for a regular spot in 2014-2015. I'd also like to see him dominate the AHL this year, but that might be tough considering his supporting cast.


I have Tinordi ahead of him personally in my personal evaluation, Tinordi is ready to step in and play an important role now and has plus makeup/leadership as opposed to questionable makeup/leadership, but I do consider Beaulieu our most interesting prospect, if not our best.


So what are people's thought's about Beaulieu?
I expect around 50 games for beaulie... sadly therw will be injuries... like all years

Now, I expect him a share of powerplay time... ill say 16pts. Sky is the limit with him maturity may make him a more complete D... a mini subban with fighting skills and taller.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:06 AM
  #3
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
I expect around 50 games for beaulie... sadly therw will be injuries... like all years

Now, I expect him a share of powerplay time... ill say 16pts. Sky is the limit with him maturity may make him a more complete D... a mini subban with fighting skills and taller.
If Beaulieu pans out... he and Subban would be a pretty rugged combination of offensive Dmen. Subban with the big hits, and Beaulieu with his 3-4 fights a year.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:11 AM
  #4
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
you spelled brolieu wrong

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:12 AM
  #5
Laboeuf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
From what I read and saw Beaulieu is one of our top prospects. He skates very well and has great speed. Skating hasn't been an issue for Beaulieu his career but the question is if he can put it all together. The guy is 6'2" 200lbs, has good NHL size and superb skating. Only question mark is his defensive zone coverage.

He seems to have all the tools to be a top 2 defenseman. I hope management don't trade him away like Ryan Mcdonagh. Give Beaulieu time. He reminds me of a young Ryan Suter. Suter in his early career had the same attribute but ran around and didn't solidify himself until his 3rd season at age 22. Expect the same with Beaulieu.

Having Beaulieu and Subban quarterbacking the powerplay is a blessing for the team.
You can't compare Tinordi and Beaulieu. Beaulieu is a difference maker and possibly a powerplay specialist. Tinordi on the other hand is a warrior a soldier, he is the type of player that will grind and get you that Cup. Beaulieu is like Seguin, lots of skills but floats, Tinordi is Bergeron, plays his heart out.

Laboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:17 AM
  #6
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 400
I see him as a James Wisniewski with a bit more size. This is not a bad thing as I quite like the Wiz. Hopefully his defence turns out better than the Wiz's though, otherwise he'll be relegated to a #4dman/pp specialist...


Last edited by That Habs Fan: 07-29-2013 at 11:27 AM.
That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:22 AM
  #7
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Brolieu has looked so lost in his own zone at times that it's just brutal to watch. Unless he improves a LOT there I don't see his great skating and offensive game making up for the lack of defensive awareness.

#4-5 D man / PP specialist IMO. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:33 AM
  #8
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I see him as a James Wisniewski with a bit more size. This is not a bad thing as I quite like the Wiz. Hopefully his defence turns out better than the Wiz's though, otherwise he'll be relegated to a #4dman/pp specialist...
Actually, the biggest difference between Wiz and Beaulieu is the skating.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:36 AM
  #9
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 50
I see him as an extremely talented offensively Dmen, but with some obvious shortcomings defensively.

I think Markov is a good example for him, but hopefully he can bring more physicality to the game.

Let's hope the dogs have a better season this time around.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:38 AM
  #10
theboss*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
I hope we do not trade him or Tinordi. Nathan is an all offense defenseman and he is not soft at all. He will be the perfect number 3 d-man

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
  #11
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,860
vCash: 500
I see him as a future Chelios/Markov.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
  #12
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars
 
Lars Mon Amour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saint-Hyacinthe, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I see him as a James Wisniewski with a bit more size. This is not a bad thing as I quite like the Wiz. Hopefully his defence turns out better than the Wiz's though, otherwise he'll be relegated to a #4dman/pp specialist...
Imagine our defense if we kept Wisniewski over Markov. With Subban, McDonagh, Tinordi, Beaulieu & Emelin.


Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:48 AM
  #13
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,871
vCash: 500
Big fan of Beaulieu; love what he brings to the table...yeah, he needs to tighten up his D-zone play, but hopefully that'll come within a year or two...paired with a big, nasty, defensive right-handed Dman, they could do wonders...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:06 PM
  #14
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Brolieu has looked so lost in his own zone at times that it's just brutal to watch. Unless he improves a LOT there I don't see his great skating and offensive game making up for the lack of defensive awareness.

#4-5 D man / PP specialist IMO. I hope he proves me wrong though.
WOW, he's that bad defensively? I thought he was at least average but after reading your post I think he needs another year in the AHL, we will see after.

I expect 10 games in the NHL in 2013-14 (if no injuries) and a lot more in 2014-15.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:11 PM
  #15
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,541
vCash: 500
I still think of him topping out in the Corvo/Wideman/Kurvers-esque style of point-producing journeyman defenseman. He's got size and speed, so those are physical talents some of those kinds of players don't usually have to the same degree. But I guess I'll still just be very pleasantly surprised if he puts his game together to the extent that he becomes a core top defenseman for us.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
  #16
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I still think of him topping out in the Corvo/Wideman/Kurvers-esque style of point-producing journeyman defenseman. He's got size and speed, so those are physical talents some of those kinds of players don't usually have to the same degree. But I guess I'll still just be very pleasantly surprised if he puts his game together to the extent that he becomes a core top defenseman for us.
I've used Corvo as a comparison for Beaulieu before, but I would be disappointed if that is all he becomes.

My hope is that he becomes an elite second fiddle offensive defensman, and that's all we need him to be. And I accept that he's likely to remain a bit of a liability, but as long as the reward is great than the risk 5 on 5, I can live with that.

Comparison? I'd be thrilled if he can become a Christian Ehrhoff.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
  #17
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In The Lab.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
He will spend a lot of time with Montreal. Point-producing journeyman defenseman? No. He's our most talented player on the back-end not named Subban. I just hope he's well-surrounded so he doesn't party too hard.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:55 PM
  #18
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I've used Corvo as a comparison for Beaulieu before, but I would be disappointed if that is all he becomes.

My hope is that he becomes an elite second fiddle offensive defensman, and that's all we need him to be. And I accept that he's likely to remain a bit of a liability, but as long as the reward is great than the risk 5 on 5, I can live with that.

Comparison? I'd be thrilled if he can become a Christian Ehrhoff.

Well just by judging from his first AHL season and Erhoff's first AHL season and how bad the the dogs were last year, I think we can even hope to see Beaulieu become even better.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:57 PM
  #19
Hank Scorpio
Registered User
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
WOW, he's that bad defensively? I thought he was at least average but after reading your post I think he needs another year in the AHL, we will see after.

I expect 10 games in the NHL in 2013-14 (if no injuries) and a lot more in 2014-15.
I don't think he is as terrible defensively as some make him out to be. True, he looked lost in his own zone at times last season but he also went from being on a dominant Jr. team to a cellar dwelling AHL team. I thought he made a lot of progress defensively as the season went on but the biggest improvement was managing his frustration level and thinking a little clearer which helped to minimize his 'looking lost' moments. Considering that he is only 20, I think he is on the right track and while he may never dominate defensively, I think he will be respectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I see him as a James Wisniewski with a bit more size. This is not a bad thing as I quite like the Wiz. Hopefully his defence turns out better than the Wiz's though, otherwise he'll be relegated to a #4dman/pp specialist...
While I think Wiz is the perfect comparison for him, development wise, I think he could really benefit, and potentially surpass Wiz, if he were to take a similar path as P.K. We know he is going to have more then a few bumps in the road defensively so pairing him with a defensively responsible leader (say Gorges or, this season to a lesser extent, Boullion) may really round him out in the long run.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  #20
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
WOW, he's that bad defensively? I thought he was at least average but after reading your post I think he needs another year in the AHL, we will see after.

I expect 10 games in the NHL in 2013-14 (if no injuries) and a lot more in 2014-15.
he's not bad defensively.he's young and needs time to develop.waaaay too early to tell how he's gonna pan out,but as of now he looks to be like a top 4 d man.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:03 PM
  #21
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I see him as a future Chelios/Markov.
What about Bobby Orr or Sergei Zubov?

Shouldn't set such a low ceiling for him...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:10 PM
  #22
NH57
Habs 4 Life
 
NH57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
I really like Beaulieu, and he's got limitless potential, but he needs to get better in the defensive zone. He kind of reminds me of Mike Green or a young Dan Boyle. I think Beaulieu has all the tools to be a top pairing offensive defenseman but we shouldn't rush him. I'd say let him spend most of the year in Hamilton, maybe give him 25-30 games or so in the NHL, then he should be ready to push for a full-time roster spot in 2014-15. In the NHL, I think it's best for Beaulieu to be paired with a defensive defenseman, like Tinordi.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:22 PM
  #23
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
One of the most offensively gifted D prospects, incridible offensive instinct and skills..

On the down side, his lack of concentration and consistency are really worrysome, has a tendency for braincramps and he is floating way too much for my taste.. Needs a good deal of work defensively as well..

He is still pretty young and has improved improved considerably last year so there is no reason to panic at this point, but the kid sure is still raw..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
  #24
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Well just by judging from his first AHL season and Erhoff's first AHL season and how bad the the dogs were last year, I think we can even hope to see Beaulieu become even better.
Ehrhoff was coming over from Europe though, and different players have different learning curves anyway.

That said, I think Ehrhoff is the best comparison.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
  #25
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I see him as a James Wisniewski with a bit more size. This is not a bad thing as I quite like the Wiz. Hopefully his defence turns out better than the Wiz's though, otherwise he'll be relegated to a #4dman/pp specialist...
I don't know if I see him as a Wiz type though I get the comparison. NB is much more creative and has top flight offensive skills where Wiz was more like 2nd tier, still really good but not as skilled as NB.

The only thing that worries me about NB is his intangibles. How he is between the ears. The off-ice stuff, the dealings with fans. I know that you can be a d#ck and still be a good hockey player but it is definitely a little worrisome for me. I think he'll be a good test for our development team whether he fulfills his potential or not.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.