HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Crawford agrees to multi-year extension

Old
07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
5 x 5? yuck..

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:55 PM
axecrew

If you'll remember Niemi beat crawford out for a job in the NHL before the cup year in 2010 after having played with him in rockford the year before. Having said that Niemi led the hawks to their 1st cup in 49 yrs that spring.....afterwards HE wanted to get paid and what happened? The hawks walked away from an aribitrators ruling allowing Niemi to sign in San Jose. Bowman doesn't exactly have a track record for paying his goalies and rightfully so.....his thought is to shore up the team in front of him so the shots never get through to the goalie, thus allowing him to put a medicore( pay wise)goalie back there and still win.

If you think about it the formula worked again this year....why fix what's not broke.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
sayheykid

Just don't try to put the pen in his glove hand.

sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:03 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Hopefully no more than 3 years

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
If you'll remember Niemi beat crawford out for a job in the NHL before the cup year in 2010 after having played with him in rockford the year before. Having said that Niemi led the hawks to their 1st cup in 49 yrs that spring.....afterwards HE wanted to get paid and what happened? The hawks walked away from an aribitrators ruling allowing Niemi to sign in San Jose. Bowman doesn't exactly have a track record for paying his goalies and rightfully so.....his thought is to shore up the team in front of him so the shots never get through to the goalie, thus allowing him to put a medicore( pay wise)goalie back there and still win.

If you think about it the formula worked again this year....why fix what's not broke.
I don't think Bowman's the kind of GM to give huge contracts to goaltenders, but that's not exactly how it went down with Niemi. Hjalmarsson received an offer-sheet from San Jose, which made their cap situation even worse. If Chicago could have gotten Hammer for around 2.5M, they would have been able to sign Niemi to the arbitrators reward. It would have been him or Ladd.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Also, how credible is this guy btw?

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:44 PM
goldglove

carey price won 25 stanley cups

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Also, how credible is this guy btw?
He's pretty credible as far as Kings info goes. Not sure about other teams though. We will see though.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
I don't think Bowman's the kind of GM to give huge contracts to goaltenders, but that's not exactly how it went down with Niemi. Hjalmarsson received an offer-sheet from San Jose, which made their cap situation even worse. If Chicago could have gotten Hammer for around 2.5M, they would have been able to sign Niemi to the arbitrators reward. It would have been him or Ladd.
Truthfully it really doesn't matter what preceded the whole thing.....the bottom line is that bowman chose to walk away from the decision concerning his STANLEY CUP winning goalie. He made the right choice....he built a D core that doesn't allow a bunch of shots to get through and it got him another cup.....like I said if it's not broke don't fix it.

Now here you are 3 years later kind of in the same boat....you have a cup winning goalie possibly looking to get paid with a gm who has a track record of not wanting to pay. He can easily send crawford packing and bring in the next guy. Because let's be honest....in 2010 that goalie match-up in the finals was as medicore as it could get. And truthfully having seen crawford play in the minors on his way up.....he still has the same problems now as he did then.....score a soft one and his head goes crazy....go high glove side and you'll score. Same thing that still plagues him. He was bailed out by a solid d core just like Niemi was in 2010.

Truthfully how has Niemi done since he moved away from that chicago d.....not too well.....same thing would be true of crawford.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Ishad

Quote:
Truthfully how has Niemi done since he moved away from that chicago d.....not too well.....same thing would be true of crawford.
Yeah, Niemi only finished third in Vezina voting this year. What a scrub.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Yeah, Niemi only finished third in Vezina voting this year. What a scrub.
Some weight should be put into the shortened season, as Neimi has always been labeled as inconsistent, however it sure looked good this year.
Played real well in the playoffs too.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
He's only won one cup, but I get your thought process.
Oh ****, I forgot it was niemi before

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Hawkaholic

This guy made this up, he comes up with this Crawford story, then changes it once he found out it was an extension for Q. Then he back pedaled and said it would happen next week.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:15 PM
hawksfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
This guy made this up, he comes up with this Crawford story, then changes it once he found out it was an extension for Q. Then he back pedaled and said it would happen next week.
Yeah I was wondering about the validity of this because I literally have heard nothing regarding an extension anywhere else. Dang rumors....

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
axecrew;69641691]If you'll remember Niemi beat crawford out for a job in the NHL [/B]before the cup year in 2010 after having played with him in rockford the year before. Having said that Niemi led the hawks to their 1st cup in 49 yrs that spring.....afterwards HE wanted to get paid and what happened? The hawks walked away from an aribitrators ruling allowing Niemi to sign in San Jose. Bowman doesn't exactly have a track record for paying his goalies and rightfully so.....his thought is to shore up the team in front of him so the shots never get through to the goalie, thus allowing him to put a medicore( pay wise)goalie back there and still win.

Niemi didn't beat out Crawford. I actually remember that Crawford was the better of the two, or at the very least they were equal. Crawford had a two way contract, whereas I believe that Niemi didn't, and therefore Crawford was sent down.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:37 AM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Niemi didn't beat out Crawford. I actually remember that Crawford was the better of the two, or at the very least they were equal. Crawford had a two way contract, whereas I believe that Niemi didn't, and therefore Crawford was sent down.
Yes I'm aware of this and that would be a great story....except that crawford had been talked up since he joined the organization as the goalie of the future and can't miss by Dale Tallon. He played the 08-09 season with Niemi in rockford and they spilt the duty pretty evenly if I remember...then comes the 09 camp and yes crawford had a 2-way but if they were truely even like you say then the hawks would have rolled the dice by trying to send down Niemi and kept crawford, the future. Becuse also remember that Niemi was at that time an unspectacular goaltender with 1 season of play in north america and not really on any teams radar.It was only after the cup that he garnered any real interest.

plus don't forget that not only did crawford not beat out Niemi but he also was behind Huet, who's contract the hawks were trying to unload even then. So crawford was actually the back -up to the back-up as the hawks started that season with Huet as their #1. It was only in the playoffs where Niemi took over the job full-time. If crawford with his years of north american experience were really ready he would've been up there and Huet would have been gone just like he was ultimately the next season.
I don't expect you to agree with me but I saw both Niemi and crawford play in rockford in 08-09 and truthfully Niemi looked better most every time. In fact Niemi finished in the top 10 at #10 in gaa while crawford was #22. Crawford played 9 games more than Niemi and won 4 more games....in fact crawford was 22-20-3 and Niemi was 18-14-3.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

More than 5 would be an overpayment

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:28 AM
Finnsane
Feed the population

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoAvs View Post
Good. Always nice to have your Stanley cup winning started locked up
Pens agree

Finnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:55 AM
maximus tacitus
Mathmew Purrrr Oh!

Quote:

plus don't forget that not only did crawford not beat out Niemi but he also was behind Huet, who's contract the hawks were trying to unload even then. So crawford was actually the back -up to the back-up as the hawks started that season with Huet as their #1. It was only in the playoffs where Niemi took over the job full-time. If crawford with his years of north american experience were really ready he would've been up there and Huet would have been gone just like he was ultimately the next season.
I don't expect you to agree with me but I saw both Niemi and crawford play in rockford in 08-09 and truthfully Niemi looked better most every time. In fact Niemi finished in the top 10 at #10 in gaa while crawford was #22. Crawford played 9 games more than Niemi and won 4 more games....in fact crawford was 22-20-3 and Niemi was 18-14-3.
and yet Crawford had the better SV% .917 to Niemi's .913

guess Rockford's played better defence in front of Niemi or he started vs weaker teams?

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

4.75 is my guess.

Never been a fan of him but i have to admit he earned this.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

after last season, Niemi and Crawford have to be seen as equal for sure...

Would love to see Crawford getting the current Niemi contract

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
after last season, Niemi and Crawford have to be seen as equal for sure...

Would love to see Crawford getting the current Niemi contract
Niemi was a vezina caliber goalie this season behind a worse team, Crawford was not.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:10 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
and yet Crawford had the better SV% .917 to Niemi's .913

guess Rockford's played better defence in front of Niemi or he started vs weaker teams?
Yes he did by only .004 % and yet he played 9 more games as well. If that's the case that they played better in front of Niemi than crawford....that doesn't say a whole lot for the players on that team or the staff. Not too mention crawford's relationship with those same players. Here's a guy who has been anointed the future and his teammates lay down and don't play as well in front of him as they do a guy in his 1st year in N. America. Doesn't say much for the players leadership skills then.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
AmishRenegade

Quote:
Yes he did by only .004 % and yet he played 9 more games as well. If that's the case that they played better in front of Niemi than crawford....that doesn't say a whole lot for the players on that team or the staff. Not too mention crawford's relationship with those same players. Here's a guy who has been anointed the future and his teammates lay down and don't play as well in front of him as they do a guy in his 1st year in N. America. Doesn't say much for the players leadership skills then.
In other words their stats were nearly identical playing in Rockford. You seem to forget that Niemi was up for the Vezina this year as well. (Crawford based on his stats last year should have been as well)

AmishRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
Niemi was a vezina caliber goalie this season behind a worse team, Crawford was not.
They are close, but Niemi is definitely better.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote