HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lars Eller for Steve Downie

Old
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
EdAVSfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
A small pest to the Habs? ya that's what they need. I don't think they instigated enough fights this season lol
To be fair, Downie is much closer to a psychopath than a pest.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:29 PM
habs1967

downie has more value than what you think.hes got grit scoring and character.ellar is a good player but banged up.

habs1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1967 View Post
downie has more value than what you think.hes got grit scoring and character.ellar is a good player but banged up.
For someone who claims to be a Habs fan, you sure do butcher the spelling of our player names a lot. It's Eller. Also, this trade is horrible for the Habs.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
"Banged up"? He was set to come back as early as round 2, if the Habs made it there.

Downie is a fine player in his own right but this is silly for the Habs to even consider.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:52 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Downie might have more value than we think... but to get someone like Eller off the Habs, Downie would be a throw-in; not the main piece coming back.

ps. speaking of banged up - Downie played a total of 2 games last season. knee injuries are a *****.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:55 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Pass, makes us worse. No need for Eller whatsoever.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:59 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
Downie might have more value than we think... but to get someone like Eller off the Habs, Downie would be a throw-in; not the main piece coming back.

ps. speaking of banged up - Downie played a total of 2 games last season. knee injuries are a *****.
Thing is, we don't really want to trade Downie and don't really need Eller. I do this trade, because the value is good for the Avs. If we had to add, it'd be pointless. I'd rather just move a package including Downie for defense.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
AuraSphere

Avs would have to add, can't believe a habs fan is the one proposing this, run away with the trade avs!

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Thing is, we don't really want to trade Downie and don't really need Eller. I do this trade, because the value is good for the Avs. If we had to add, it'd be pointless. I'd rather just move a package including Downie for defense.
of course the value is good! i wouldn't blame you to jump on this and then flip Eller for a dman.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
alpine4life

as a natural center, Eller is not a need in Colorado... They need more Defense, not a 5th top 6 centerman

but yah... Downie would fit nicely in Montreal

EDIT:
Beaulieu+ or Tinordi+ to Colorado?

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Makes no sense for either team. Habs need Eller (likely the better player in this exchange at least for me he is) and the Avs don't need more centers.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
chuck1984

I'm no GM, but when you get the better player in a trade, even if he doesnt fill your current needs, why dont you turn around and trade him elsewhere for what you need? This isnt Yahoo NHL fantasy where you can only do 10 trades/moves per year.

chuck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
For Downie??...not in this lifetime...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
of course the value is good! i wouldn't blame you to jump on this and then flip Eller for a dman.
I guess my point is that any rebuttals probably shouldn't include eller at all if you want fair value. If this becomes a thread of "this is what it will take to get eller to Colorado" it will be completely pointless, because we have absolutely no need for him.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:19 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
I guess my point is that any rebuttals probably shouldn't include eller at all if you want fair value. If this becomes a thread of "this is what it will take to get eller to Colorado" it will be completely pointless, because we have absolutely no need for him.
and i completely agree with you. but as i've said, if this actually happened, i don't see the Avs refusing this on account that they could simply flip Eller to another team for something they actually need.

but yeah, it's pointless.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1984 View Post
I'm no GM, but when you get the better player in a trade, even if he doesnt fill your current needs, why dont you turn around and trade him elsewhere for what you need? This isnt Yahoo NHL fantasy where you can only do 10 trades/moves per year.
Because that entails you having to find another partner willing to give up a player in your area of need.

This also isnt NHL13 where you can just move a player to any team for a player of equal value.

If teams dont need centers, it makes it much less likely I can trade with that team.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
cgf

We need defensemen, but we also need our wingers. The only guys we have with the skill to play with our centers and bring a sandpaper game are Landy, Downie and McGinn, that's exactly one guy for each line in our top 9. For years we've been lamenting that one of our C's always ends up playing with crap, usually Staz, now we finally have the wingers to actually roll 3 lines and we break them up? I especially dislike moving Downie because of how well his passing skills will fit next to Mac and Duchene. After Landy and Radar he's the winger I'd want to trade the least, ahead of PAP and McGinn.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
First its Eller not Ellar.... why would Montreal trade the best 3rd line center in the NHL for a guy like Downie? make no sense at all from MTL POV
Are you sure about that?

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck1984 View Post
Because we'd be opening up a new need that Downie currently fills?

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Ellar would give Colorado some scoring depth on the wing.he also can fill in at center till the big guns come in.Downie will add much need grit up front for the habs
Thanks but... no thanks!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:26 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Habs would be one crucial step closer to being the first NHL team since 1927, to have a Top-9 with no player above 5'11...
Well, many teams weren't even icing at Top-9 by then
But I get your point.

Back to proposal : why exactly Colorado would be looking for ANOTHER center?

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:27 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Quote:
and i completely agree with you. but as i've said, if this actually happened, i don't see the Avs refusing this on account that they could simply flip Eller to another team for something they actually need.

but yeah, it's pointless.
I'd probably keep Eller and trade whichever of Stats or ROR proves to be more difficult/expensive to resign, but trading Downie leaves the Avs with only 1 natural RW, and I don't like the thought of that at all.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
We need defensemen, but we also need our wingers. The only guys we have with the skill to play with our centers and bring a sandpaper game are Landy, Downie and McGinn, that's exactly one guy for each line in our top 9. For years we've been lamenting that one of our C's always ends up playing with crap, usually Staz, now we finally have the wingers to actually roll 3 lines and we break them up? I especially dislike moving Downie because of how well his passing skills will fit next to Mac and Duchene. After Landy and Radar he's the winger I'd want to trade the least, ahead of PAP and McGinn.
Say that in English, now?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Say that in English, now?
Landeskog, O'Reilly, MacKinnon, Parenteau, Statsny...

not that hard!

Old
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
as a natural center, Eller is not a need in Colorado... They need more Defense, not a 5th top 6 centerman

but yah... Downie would fit nicely in Montreal

EDIT:
Wow, I both laughed AND threw up at the same time reading this. Please, don't ever make another trade proposal involving Canadiens' players. A prospect like either Tinordi or Beaulieu would need more than Downie in a deal. In what world do we add to one of our two best blue line prospects in order to get a small 3rd/4th liner who lost last season to knee issues?

No thank you.

As to the OP, it is equally laughable. Eller is far more valuable on either the wing or at center than Downie is. Eller's size, offensive development, and consistent growth throughout his career while only laying third line minutes are worth a heck of a lot more than what Downie is capable of doing.

I wish the guy who put up the OP would admit to being a fan of some other team than the Habs. Or switch allegiances and make horrid proposals for his new team leaving the Habs out of them. Wow, talk about horrific...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote