HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[WPG] Jets re-sign Zach Bogosian (7 years, $5.14M per)

Old
07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Somewhere Alex Pietrangelo and his agent smile.
I don't see why
Everyone knows he is going to get paid

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
firstemperor

vCash: 500
Very good deal by the Jets IMO. Bogosian is the most valuable player on that team.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Somewhere Alex Pietrangelo and his agent smile.
I can't imagine they thought Petro would get less -- he's the better player.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wpgsilver

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I have seen him play. He is a -42 in 297 games so far. He has had a -27 season and a -18 season. I'm not all about plus/minus, but I think its ok to look at very low plus/minus like a -27. After 5 seasons his career high is 30 points. This season he was on pace for just 34 points, so no real improvement offensively. Enstrom and Byfuglien are much better PP optoins.

So while he is in the same two-way mold as McDonagh, McDonagh is better defensively. McDonagh is a real shut-down 2-way (+54 for his career). If we ignore the plus/minus, he still does a better job of shutting down star players like Ovechkin. Bogosian I would not call a shut-down D...just a decent 2-way. If Bogosian was not picked 3rd overall, I dont think people on here would be gushing nearly as much about him

I wonder why McDonagh has a better plus minus.
Oh right the Rangers have been, whats the word, good.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Guerzy
Things we now know

vCash: 69
Awesome deal. As a Jets fan I love it. My guess was 7 years at 5-5.2 million. Love this. Over a full season Bogosian is a solid and very reliable defender who can on average get the Jets 30-40 points. A beast physically, a leader, sound and reliable defensively with a solid enough offensive game. Great signing.

Anyone who says this deal is based on potential hasn't watched the defenceman Zach Bogosian has rounded into over the last 2 years. Everything I mentioned above. This deal pays him what he is worth I would say, which is easily 4.7 million (McDonagh type contract). If we gotta pay a shade over 400k to seal the deal, to buy that "potential" and get 5 UFA years... I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday as a Jets fan. Other than that this is an excellent contract.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-29-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
I have seen him play. He is a -42 in 297 games so far. He has had a -27 season and a -18 season. I'm not all about plus/minus, but I think its ok to look at very low plus/minus like a -27. After 5 seasons his career high is 30 points. This season he was on pace for just 34 points, so no real improvement offensively. Enstrom and Byfuglien are much better PP optoins.

So while he is in the same two-way mold as McDonagh, McDonagh is better defensively. McDonagh is a real shut-down 2-way (+54 for his career). If we ignore the plus/minus, he still does a better job of shutting down star players like Ovechkin. Bogosian I would not call a shut-down D...just a decent 2-way. If Bogosian was not picked 3rd overall, I dont think people on here would be gushing nearly as much about him
+/- basically just tells you if you're on a crappy team, which Bogosian has been.

The Rangers have been a very good team whilst McDonagh has been there. Basing an entire opinion on stats, especially +/- doesn't hold a lot of weight IMO.

I think McDonagh is the better player at this point too, I just think Bogosian is a completely different player. He's a punishing two way defender with a big body and a mean streak. These types are worth a lot, and he's only 23. He may never put up 40+ point seasons, but I see him playing 24+ minutes a lot, against top competition. He's 23.

I agree he's been paid for potential here, but he's still a very good young player.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

Love the commitment the Jets are showing here.

Wheeler long term - Check
Bogosian long term - Check

Lets go Jets (3rd favorite team)

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post

I wonder why McDonagh has a better plus minus.
Oh right the Rangers have been, whats the word, good.
thats the obvious argument, but I dont buy it. Its not like Winnipeg always finishes last or something and Rangers finish at the top. Last season Rangers finished with 56 points, Jets with 51...wow, huge difference . Bogosian was a -5, McDonagh was a +13...thats a pretty big difference when you consider only 48 games were played.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lawson624

Meh deal Its alright value but I liked the mcdonagh voynov and Josi deals better.

Lawson624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetylene View Post
Jets are sure doing a good job signing core players
Especially when nobody wants to sign there

aqsw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

A little on the high side, but the 5 UFA years makes it worth it.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Hahaha and here the Leafs sign David freaking Clarckson to more than this.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
I can't imagine they thought Petro would get less -- he's the better player.
Yes, but if BoGo is getting 5.14m, he's gonna get a lot more...

They're the same age, and you could argue Pietrangelo is a top-5 D.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Really doubt it. Too much competition in the central.
From who? Looks like the weakest of the new divisions. I can see the Jets battling for a playoff spot down the stretch.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Especially when nobody wants to sign there
Wouldn't be a Jets thread without this

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
thats the obvious argument, but I dont buy it. Its not like Winnipeg always finishes last or something and Rangers finish at the top. Last season Rangers finished with 56 points, Jets with 51...wow, huge difference . Bogosian was a -5, McDonagh was a +13...thats a pretty big difference when you consider only 48 games were played.
Still a horrible way to judge a player.

You're going all the way back to the Atlanta Thrashers days here with you +/- talk. And yes, Atlanta was bad.

+/- depends a lot on goaltending and I don't think Atlanta/Winnipeg have top flight goaltending.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:34 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
The Rangers as a team had a +18 goal differential and the Jets had a -16.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Quote:

So, comparing +/- between one guy who played in the NHL at 18, and went to a lottery team with bad goaltending, to a guy who played a half a season in the NHL at 21, and his first full season at 22, and played on a playoff team, with Henrik Lundqvist?

I like McDonnagh, and really wanted Bogo's deal to be in and around his, but I have no issues with this deal considering the UFA years bought (5 vs 3).

As for Bogo's point totals and not being a shutdown guy? He has excellent even strength numbers, but doesn't get #1 PP time. He is a shut-down D man, and has been filling that role very well for the Jets.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Quares27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Hahaha and here the Leafs sign David freaking Clarckson to more than this.
and Ottawa signed 35 year old Gonchar for more than both... what's your point?

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Stealth JD
You're Sicilian huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
I don't see why
Everyone knows he is going to get paid
Because the Blues were hoping to get Pietrangelo under $6M/yr...now they're probably facing $6.5M-$7M/year.

Stealth JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 250
Quote:
+/- is a weak way to judge a players value. So many variables he cannot control. If fact, Lundqvist has a part in every single ranger having a better +/- than they should have. He has carried that team for the past half decade. McD is a great dman, but Anton Stralman had a BETTER +/- than him last year. That stat is flawed.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

It's pretty clear the Jets paid up to snatch some UFA years from Bogo... it was either that or a shorter bridge contract, but then he'd probably get J-Bow money at the end of it. That's the path Subban is headed.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
and Ottawa signed 35 year old Gonchar for more than both... what's your point?
Hmm really? That's why he's on the team right now?

And it wasn't for 7 years, don't worry by the end of Clarckson's contract, you will have your own 35 year old.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
It's pretty clear the Jets paid up to snatch some UFA years from Bogo... it was either that or a shorter bridge contract, but then he'd probably get J-Bow money at the end of it. That's the path Subban is headed.
Bogo's previous contract was a bridge deal so that was out of the question now. He was only two years away from UFA status. They needed to lock him up long-term and they managed to do that. Great deal for the Jets.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McShogun99

Nice to see the Jets lock him up long term. This deal should be a bargain by years 4 to 7.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote