HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WPG] Jets re-sign Zach Bogosian (7 years, $5.14M per)

Old
07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I have seen him play. He is a -42 in 297 games so far. He has had a -27 season and a -18 season. I'm not all about plus/minus, but I think its ok to look at very low plus/minus like a -27. After 5 seasons his career high is 30 points. This season he was on pace for just 34 points, so no real improvement offensively. Enstrom and Byfuglien are much better PP optoins.

So while he is in the same two-way mold as McDonagh, McDonagh is better defensively. McDonagh is a real shut-down 2-way (+54 for his career). If we ignore the plus/minus, he still does a better job of shutting down star players like Ovechkin. Bogosian I would not call a shut-down D...just a decent 2-way. If Bogosian was not picked 3rd overall, I dont think people on here would be gushing nearly as much about him
the only thing you have "SEEN" of Bogosian is hockeydb.com...

who cares if McDonagh is better, different type of dmen have different skillset. plus as mentioned prior, Bogo played right out of the gate on some crappy defensive teams...plus his goaltending isn't on par to the Rangers so arguing over +/- is pretty dumb.

kid is a gamer, plays tough and is finally getting healthy and coming into his own. nice signing for the Jets.

Last edited by AmericanDream: 07-29-2013 at 03:50 PM.
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
Quote:
thats the obvious argument, but I dont buy it. Its not like Winnipeg always finishes last or something and Rangers finish at the top. Last season Rangers finished with 56 points, Jets with 51...wow, huge difference . Bogosian was a -5, McDonagh was a +13...thats a pretty big difference when you consider only 48 games were played.
You're missing an obvious explanation for this. The Rangers have King Henrik, the Jets have one of the worst starters in the league.

While McDonagh's shot differentials are better, it's not by much. Both guys played hard minutes with defensive partners who weren't well-suited for those minutes (Hainsey and Girardi).

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Wow I read it as 7 years 51.4M total.. Was gonna say how the hell did he get over 7M AAV but this looks pretty good, he has a chance to make this look like a bargain in a couple years.

5 14 6 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:46 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I would say that as it stands, this is exactly in the range of what he should be payed. Good contract.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Walter Kovacs
McJesus

Quote:
ha? for what? There is no way he gets close to $5 mill per. His career high is 30 points. He is not even their top D...they have Byfuglien and Enstrom.
Insert the foot in your mouth now

Walter Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Especially when nobody wants to sign there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Wouldn't be a Jets thread without this
Don't worry, we'll hear soon enough about how they had to overpay to keep them in Winnipeg.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:51 PM
richardsequalscup*

This clown isn't half the defenseman McDonagh is. He's been a bust so far in his career. It's moronic contracts like this that allow players to go to FA and get idiotic money. I don't ever want to hear these stupid, small market owners cry about the CBA or finances again. They are the tools who are handing out idiotic contracts.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:52 PM
MisterD

Considering the number of UFA years being given up, I think this contract is fair for both sides. If Bogo continues to progress and develop, this will end up a good deal for the Jets.

Wonder if the Jets are pretty much done now for this year or if they will look to add yet? Another offensive weapon would set them up well for a playoff spot.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Carlzner

Brutal Contract.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
crowi
Registered Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
This clown isn't half the defenseman McDonagh is. He's been a bust so far in his career. It's moronic contracts like this that allow players to go to FA and get idiotic money. I don't ever want to hear these stupid, small market owners cry about the CBA or finances again. They are the tools who are handing out idiotic contracts.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
and Ottawa signed 35 year old Gonchar for more than both... what's your point?
It wouldn't be an HF thread unless I was able to declare that Clarkson's contract is still the worst in the NHL!

Seanahue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

If I hear anyone say a cross word about Hamonic's contract after this...

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Woodballs
#FHRITP

vCash: 375
Quote:
[b]This clown isn't half the defenseman McDonagh is.[b] He's been a bust so far in his career. It's moronic contracts like this that allow players to go to FA and get idiotic money. I don't ever want to hear these stupid, small market owners cry about the CBA or finances again. They are the tools who are handing out idiotic contracts.
You are right. He is twice the defenceman

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Superlative Soup

vCash: 833
Quote:
Tell us how you really feel, bud!

Superlative Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Quote:
Oh this should be rich. What kind of contract would you have offered?

Seanahue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:55 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

So much fail.
Bogo hasn't been a bust. Try watching him before commenting...

The small market stuff is funny.
We're profitable. Some big markets aren't.
Mark Chipman was also far from an owner set on prolonging the lockout, so maybe address the owners in the large markets in the red.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:56 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
...He's a 23-year-old defenseman and he's already played almost 300 games in the NHL with over 100 points. I don't see how he is a bust in any way, shape or form. Underperformed, maybe, but I don't remember what pre-draft scouting was projecting him to be at this point in his career.

If you want to see a defenseman that has been a bust so far in his career, look at Thomas Hickey.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
I have seen him play. He is a -42 in 297 games so far. He has had a -27 season and a -18 season. I'm not all about plus/minus, but I think its ok to look at very low plus/minus like a -27. After 5 seasons his career high is 30 points. This season he was on pace for just 34 points, so no real improvement offensively. Enstrom and Byfuglien are much better PP optoins.

So while he is in the same two-way mold as McDonagh, McDonagh is better defensively. McDonagh is a real shut-down 2-way (+54 for his career). If we ignore the plus/minus, he still does a better job of shutting down star players like Ovechkin. Bogosian I would not call a shut-down D...just a decent 2-way. If Bogosian was not picked 3rd overall, I dont think people on here would be gushing nearly as much about him
You pretty much have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously. You don't.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Zirakzigil

Definitely over playment for the first few years. Hopefully he can continue to improve and be worth this contract.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Peter Tagli Eddie
All 3 of them?

Quote:
Pretty major overpayment. I will take McDonagh over him any day of the week...and McDonagh got less.

Bogosian is a good 2-way, but I dont ever see him putting up a lot of points. McgDonagh is a better skater and better defensively.
This is simply not true under any circumstance.

Peter Tagli Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
DespoticNewt

Great term, and less than I expected Chevy to sign him for. Now the trade board can quiet down about our RFA.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
You pretty much have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously. You don't.
Well it's not like he can talk about watching them play hockey.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
This might be the stupidest, most uninformed post I have ever read on HF. Wow, and that is saying something.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
jarmoismyhero

I am in minority but I really like this contract for the Jets... Good deal for Bogo too.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
ATLbound

Good deal, as someone who has watched almost every game he has played in, I like it. As stated may be little bit much for the first year or 2, but trust me, in 4-5 years when he is a #1, and a top 10 D-man in the league for that money, we will be laughing. The last 2 years he has been our best all around guy on the back end. A few people who clearly either don't watch him play, or just know nothing about hockey, think he is a "bust" or not very good.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote