HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lars Eller for Steve Downie

Old
07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
SteenMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Boston haven't been a problem for the Habs. We do fine against them in the regular season and were one bounce away from beating them the year they won the cup. The Habs true weakness is constantly losing to non-playoff and lower seeded teams. We just don't bring it vs non-contenders.
Oh so in revisionist history it hasn't been a problem, my mistake.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Downie already gives us "some scoring depth on the wing" so no.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Wow, I both laughed AND threw up at the same time reading this. Please, don't ever make another trade proposal involving Canadiens' players. A prospect like either Tinordi or Beaulieu would need more than Downie in a deal. In what world do we add to one of our two best blue line prospects in order to get a small 3rd/4th liner who lost last season to knee issues?

No thank you.

As to the OP, it is equally laughable. Eller is far more valuable on either the wing or at center than Downie is. Eller's size, offensive development, and consistent growth throughout his career while only laying third line minutes are worth a heck of a lot more than what Downie is capable of doing.

I wish the guy who put up the OP would admit to being a fan of some other team than the Habs. Or switch allegiances and make horrid proposals for his new team leaving the Habs out of them. Wow, talk about horrific...
Funny, because when I look at Eller I see a third line defensive center with a career high of 53 points (if stretched to 82 games from last season) and never scored past 28 in any other season. And then you have Downie, who has played a full season and scored 46 points (what a 4th line scrub right?) and is a meager 5'11"! Eller is a monstrous 6'2"! Woahhhhh!

I'd say they are pretty close in value because Downie brings this element of nasty physicality that Eller can only DREAM of having as a part of his game.

That said, I wouldn't trade Downie for Eller straight up. We already have a version of Lars Eller who is even better: Ryan O'Reilly.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Oh so in revisionist history it hasn't been a problem, my mistake.
Not really. In the last 12 years we have faced Boston 5 times in the playoffs. We won 3 series and lost 2. Keep in mind, in 2010-2011, the year we lost when Boston won the Cup, we lost by a goal in overtime in game 7 and played the entire series without Markov or Pacioretty, 2 major difference making players.

I would also like to point out we won 3 out of 4 regular season games against the Bruins last season.

We do not need to be built to beat the Bruins, we already can.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Wow, I both laughed AND threw up at the same time reading this. Please, don't ever make another trade proposal involving Canadiens' players. A prospect like either Tinordi or Beaulieu would need more than Downie in a deal. In what world do we add to one of our two best blue line prospects in order to get a small 3rd/4th liner who lost last season to knee issues?

No thank you.

As to the OP, it is equally laughable. Eller is far more valuable on either the wing or at center than Downie is. Eller's size, offensive development, and consistent growth throughout his career while only laying third line minutes are worth a heck of a lot more than what Downie is capable of doing.

I wish the guy who put up the OP would admit to being a fan of some other team than the Habs. Or switch allegiances and make horrid proposals for his new team leaving the Habs out of them. Wow, talk about horrific...

09/10 - 79GP, 22G 24A 46 Pts.
10/11 - 57GP, 10G 22A 32 Pts.(On Pace for 45-46 Pts again)
11/12 - 75GP, 14G, 27A 41 Pts.(Again on pace for 45-46 Pts)

I didn't know 3rd/4th line players were capable of putting up 45 pts on a consistent basis.

Not only that but in Downies time with the Avs in 11/12 he was playing at a near PPG before he separated his shoulder and played the last 7-8 games for the Avs injured.

Downie is a 2nd line guy. He's good for 45-50 points and brings grit and toughness that is very hard to find in todays game. He plays a tough game like Lucic in that regard.

I wouldn't move Downie for Beaulieu or Tinordi.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
No problem there, neither would the Habs.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:30 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Neither would Habs fans...deal...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:32 PM
sandysan

Quote:
:

Downie is a 2nd line guy. He's good for 45-50 points and brings grit and toughness that is very hard to find in todays game. He plays a tough game like Lucic in that regard.

I'd love to have a lucic-like player on the habs which is precisely why I have no interest in Downie.

Our defense is already small and soft, Tinordi is worth WAY more to the habs than Downie and Bealieu has a lot of upside. I'm glad you wouldnt thrade downie for either so that you wont get offended when we laugh at that proposal.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1967 View Post
Ellar would give Colorado some scoring depth on the wing.he also can fill in at center till the big guns come in.Downie will add much need grit up front for the habs
absolutely ****ing not. Eller was habs best center and forward last 10 games of last year . give your head a shake. no from habs pov

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Funny, because when I look at Eller I see a third line defensive center with a career high of 53 points (if stretched to 82 games from last season) and never scored past 28 in any other season. And then you have Downie, who has played a full season and scored 46 points (what a 4th line scrub right?) and is a meager 5'11"! Eller is a monstrous 6'2"! Woahhhhh!

I'd say they are pretty close in value because Downie brings this element of nasty physicality that Eller can only DREAM of having as a part of his game.

That said, I wouldn't trade Downie for Eller straight up. We already have a version of Lars Eller who is even better: Ryan O'Reilly.
since when do 3rd line centers score 53 points? and what time machine are you using to know how 24 y.o center will top out?

Old
07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
as a natural center, Eller is not a need in Colorado... They need more Defense, not a 5th top 6 centerman

but yah... Downie would fit nicely in Montreal

EDIT:
Beaulieu+ or Tinordi+ to Colorado?
why don't you trade cowen for downey instead?

Old
07-29-2013, 04:55 PM
seancolorado

Avs need grit and wing scoring. Downie provides both. Why exactly would Colorado want to give him up?

He is a great character to have, stands up for the teammates. Real tough guy but skilled enough to provide the points - exactly why Roy wants to pair him with MacKinnon at the start of the season. A big brother, so to speak. He is not necessarily "untouchable" but as far as top 9 forwards go we're not just giving him up out of the blue

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Domino11

People that say they wouldn't trade downie for Eller r out of their mind ... 30 GM out of 30 would do that deal if they were Colorado !!!

Domino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

As the deal is a no-go for all parties and it's just going to lead to a slagfest, let's just close up shop here...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:05 PM
seancolorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino11 View Post
People that say they wouldn't trade downie for Eller r out of their mind ... 30 GM out of 30 would do that deal if they were Colorado !!!
It's not about the comparison for Eller and Downie. It's about Colorado's lack of gritty, role players like Downie. You don't make every trade that is offered to you, you make the right trade. Downie is the rare breed of gritty, tough guy who can put up the points. On a team full of young skilled players finding their way, that kind of guy is invaluable

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Dutchy09*

No. Downie brings a rare element to our lineup and we don't need a 3rd line center.

Dutchy09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino11 View Post
No, they wouldn't, but by all means, keep telling yourself that.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
absolutely ****ing not. Eller was habs best center and forward last 10 games of last year . give your head a shake. no from habs pov
He was good for 10 games? A whole 10 games? Why didn't you say so? Can we give you Mackinnon for him? Please?

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeleau Of Blood View Post
He was good for 10 games? A whole 10 games? Why didn't you say so? Can we give you Mackinnon for him? Please?
Is that really what you read from his comment?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeleau Of Blood View Post
Can you read the post again? Please?

Montreal would say no to the deal because it favors Colorado. Colorado would refuse the deal too because their GM is pretty incompetent. (See last year's finish lol). All in all, both teams would refuse this deal but for different reasons.

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:06 PM
TT1

OP pls refrain from making anymore proposal threads

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Dutchy09*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post

Montreal would say no to the deal because it favors Colorado. Colorado would refuse the deal too because their GM is pretty incompetent. (See last year's finish lol). All in all, both teams would refuse this deal but for different reasons.
The GM of last season for us is now pretty much a numbers guy only. Roy, Sakic, and Billington are now the men behind GM related duties, so that point holds no value. Montreal would be silly not to say yes.

Dutchy09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post

One year after finishing in the basement makes fans arrogant again I see . Also, your comment just shows how uninformed you are about the Avs, considering our 'GM' just does the numbers.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Downie's a pretty valuable piece. He's on the smallish side but he plays big, and he's got a tonne more skill then people give him credit for. Over a full, healthy season in the top six he's probably a 55 point player.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:20 PM
sirdigby

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by all the people saying this favors Montreal. Downie has lots of skill, more grit and can contribute plenty of points. In fact, he has two seasons where he scored above Eller's career high. So I see absolutely no reason for the Avalanche to do this trade.

I mean, I get that he was out for the season with the knee injury, but the underrating of Downie in this thread is crazy.

sirdigby is offline   Reply With Quote