HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lars Eller for Steve Downie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
  #76
tucker3434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Can you read the post again? Please?

Montreal would say no to the deal because it favors Colorado. Colorado would refuse the deal too because their GM is pretty incompetent. (See last year's finish lol). All in all, both teams would refuse this deal but for different reasons.
I know, right! Lolz!

Oh wait, we have a new guy calling the shots. Try to keep up. Inaccurate insults just don't work.

Edit: also completely forgot the Habs finished third to last a year before we finished second to last. Probably not the best fan base to talk trash.


Last edited by tucker3434: 07-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:25 PM
  #77
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
since when do 3rd line centers score 53 points? and what time machine are you using to know how 24 y.o center will top out?
Since a shortened season where many things happened that normally don't in a 82 game schedule.


Or are you telling me Sergei Bobrovsky is going to be a Vezina candidate next year?


And I never said anything about where he would top out, lol. Read it again

jfisher6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:35 PM
  #78
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Not really worth the risk after his injury for Montreal right now.

Pass

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:35 PM
  #79
chuck1984
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAVSfan View Post
Because that entails you having to find another partner willing to give up a player in your area of need.

This also isnt NHL13 where you can just move a player to any team for a player of equal value.

If teams dont need centers, it makes it much less likely I can trade with that team.
Eller plays both C and LW. Downie plays LW/RW.

chuck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
  #80
habamillions
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: arnprior,ontario
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
wow a habs fan suggested this deal. terrible

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:41 PM
  #81
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Can you read the post again? Please?

Montreal would say no to the deal because it favors Colorado. Colorado would refuse the deal too because their GM is pretty incompetent. (See last year's finish lol). All in all, both teams would refuse this deal but for different reasons.
Catch up with the times. The Avs have new management.




Oh, and remind me, where'd you guys finish before this year? 3rd last or something? You shouldn't be laughing. It just makes you look rather stupid.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
  #82
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 366
Do we have a different Downie on our team? Dave Downie? Since when was Steve Downie garbage? Since when was Lars Eller so good?

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:46 PM
  #83
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,505
vCash: 500
This is an incredibly bad proposal. Yikes..

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:47 PM
  #84
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,119
vCash: 500
Downie was an idiot in Philly, became less of one in Tampa and probably still isn't as much of an idiot in Colorado, but don't want him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:51 PM
  #85
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Do we have a different Downie on our team? Dave Downie? Since when was Steve Downie garbage? Since when was Lars Eller so good?
It's just that Eller progressed significantly since getting in Montreal, culminating last season where he was scoring at a +- 50-55 points pace while having no PP time, on a team which pretty much rolls three offensive lines, all the while playing a good defensive game (not great by any mean, but good).

There were even nights... actually, quite a few of them... where he was Montreal's best forward last season. One could even say that he was Montreal's best forward last season (I don't agree with that assertion, but it's not totally far off).

I'm also one of Eller's biggest doubters on Montreal's board.

There are reasons to believe that Downie "plateaued" -- and that has nothing to do with his injury. And there are also reasons to believe that Eller hasn't plateau'ed yet, considering he really shown steady improved since making it to the NHL (basically, when he got traded to Montreal).

This said, there's absolutely no point for Colorado to do this trade. Eller is, for a lack of a better word, lost at wing (especialy at LW for whatever reason).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 06:58 PM
  #86
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
It's just that Eller progressed significantly since getting in Montreal, culminating last season where he was scoring at a +- 50-55 points pace while having no PP time, on a team which pretty much rolls three offensive lines, all the while playing a good defensive game (not great by any mean, but good).

There were even nights... actually, quite a few of them... where he was Montreal's best forward last season.

I'm also one of Eller's biggest doubters on Montreal's board.

There are reasons to believe that Downie "plateaued" -- and that has nothing to do with his injury. And there are also reasons to believe that Eller hasn't plateau'ed yet, considering he really shown steady improved since making it to the NHL (basically, when he got traded to Montreal).
Understandable, but at the same time just because he has potential to improve doesn't mean he's more valuable than Downie.

Downie provides 50-60 points if he stays healthy, while adding grit and agitating the opposition. Eller has potential to be a 60-70 point player, but at this point in their careers Downie provides more than Eller does.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:01 PM
  #87
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader
 
BigDaddyLurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Exiled from Reality
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Understandable, but at the same time just because he has potential to improve doesn't mean he's more valuable than Downie.

Downie provides 50-60 points if he stays healthy, while adding grit and agitating the opposition. Eller has potential to be a 60-70 point player, but at this point in their careers Downie provides more than Eller does.
Excellent post...I disagree with the last part, however we are all entitled to our opinions...


...perfect time to close this thread before the slagging starts again...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
  #88
sansabri
#blocktheboat
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 8,446
vCash: 500
Downie has had two +40 pts. seasons in his careeer. where does this 50-60 pts a year come from?

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:08 PM
  #89
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Say that in English, now?
Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
We need defensemen, but we also need our wingers. The only guys we have with the skill to play with our centers and bring a sandpaper game are Landeskog, Downie and McGinn, that's exactly one guy for each line in our top 9.

For years we've been lamenting that one of our C's always ends up playing with crap, usually Stastny, now we finally have the wingers to actually roll 3 lines and we break them up? I especially dislike moving Downie because of how well his passing skills will fit next to MacKinnon or Duchene. After Landeskog and Ryan O'Reilly he's the winger I'd want to trade the least, ahead of PA Parenteau and McGinn.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
  #90
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Understandable, but at the same time just because he has potential to improve doesn't mean he's more valuable than Downie.

Downie provides 50-60 points if he stays healthy, while adding grit and agitating the opposition. Eller has potential to be a 60-70 point player, but at this point in their careers Downie provides more than Eller does.
Well, Downie has never hit 50 points, so thats just potential too.

At any rate, its his most recent injury thats concerning. Eller is coming off an injury too, but its very much a "the devil you know" situation for the Habs.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
  #91
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1967 View Post
Ellar would give Colorado some scoring depth on the wing.he also can fill in at center till the big guns come in.Downie will add much need grit up front for the habs
Avs already have 4 top 6 centers...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
  #92
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 496
Eller and Downie will have similar offensive output. Downie brings a lot or grit.

Value is close. This deal does nothing to improve Colorado.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
  #93
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Well, Downie has never hit 50 points, so thats just potential too.

At any rate, its his most recent injury thats concerning. Eller is coming off an injury too, but its very much a "the devil you know" situation for the Habs.
Not only is Eller the better player...he is 1.3M cheaper, is an RFA after next season (downie will be a UFA) and is two years younger. Downie has also served one of the NHL's longest suspensions making him a repeat offender for any slip ups...is more injury prone...I could go on.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:24 PM
  #94
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Not only is Eller the better player...he is 1.3M cheaper, is an RFA after next season (downie will be a UFA) and is two years younger. Downie has also served one of the NHL's longest suspensions making him a repeat offender for any slip ups...is more injury prone...I could go on.
Eller hasn't proved he's the better player. As it stands right now, it's Downie.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:25 PM
  #95
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
I had heard of a Win-Win trade. First time I see a Lose-Lose trade...

-What's the second last thing in the world Montreal needs right now? Another small forward.

-What's the last thing in the world Montreal needs right now? Getting rid of one of its only Top-9 Forward with size.

-Apparently Colorado doesn't need another candidate in the top Center stuck playing Wing Sweepstake....

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
  #96
seancolorado
Registered User
 
seancolorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Eller and Downie will have similar offensive output. Downie brings a lot or grit.

Value is close. This deal does nothing to improve Colorado.
What people continue to refuse to acknowledge. It doesn't matter how good you think Player X, Y or Z is. You have to look at it from both sides.

Does losing much needed grit on a young, learning team like Colorado help them? No? Then come back with a proposal that makes sense in the real world

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
  #97
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Eller hasn't proved he's the better player. As it stands right now, it's Downie.
On which basis... points?

Then, it would be a bit like saying that Jonathan Huberdeau hasn't proven he's a better player than Jamie McGinn because Huberdeau never got more than 35+ points....

Eller was, quite often I might add, the best forward on a given night, with a team that finished in the upper third of the general standings.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
  #98
ColoradoAvs
Ryan O'Money
 
ColoradoAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Downie is more important to us now. Value wise Eller blows him out of the water.

ColoradoAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:31 PM
  #99
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
On which basis... points?

Then, it would be a bit like saying that Jonathan Huberdeau hasn't proven he's a better player than Jamie McGinn because Huberdeau never got more than 35+ points....
Performance.

They played near the same amount of game, but Downie has been more productive. I understand that Eller is two years younger, but thats talking about potential, not about who is the better player right now.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
  #100
tucker3434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
On which basis... points?

Then, it would be a bit like saying that Jonathan Huberdeau hasn't proven he's a better player than Jamie McGinn because Huberdeau never got more than 35+ points....

Eller was, quite often I might add, the best forward on a given night, with a team that finished in the upper third of the general standings.
I *kinda* understand what you're saying, but the age difference between McGinn and huberdeau is about 5 years, not two. I think at this point in downie and ellers career we have a pretty good idea of who they are. Eller may score a few more points, but downie brings more grit. Value wise eller>downie. But it isn't by a ton. Definitely not as much as some in this thread believe.

Edit: maybe a 3 team trade with a defender coming to co would work though.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.