HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames - Maple Leafs (prospects swap)

Old
07-29-2013, 07:05 PM
officialmark7*

vCash: 500
This is actually a solid deal for both teams. Liles would do wonders as a veteran for the young Flames team. Liles really is a class act, and on a team that uses him properly he could easily be worth his contract.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

If the flames are taking back Liles I don't want Ferland in the deal. I am interested to see what he can do at the professional level, instead I would add someone like Ryan Howse.

Howse+Nemisez for Blacker + Liles

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Is Liles that bad?

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Is Liles that bad?
Nope, but the increase in cap space would be more valuable for the Leafs at this time.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Is Liles that bad?
No just overpaid and not a fit in the Toronto system (also being replaced offensively by Gardiner/Franson/Rielly). He struggled coming back from his concussion...

Maplelaughs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
If the flames are taking back Liles I don't want Ferland in the deal. I am interested to see what he can do at the professional level, instead I would add someone like Ryan Howse.

Howse+Nemisez for Blacker + Liles
I would do this deal. Not the one for Ferland. Or swap Howse to Byron.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:20 PM
jughead42

I would be open to trading Nemisz straight up for Blacker as a Leaf fan. I've seen both of these guys play quite a bit when they were teammates with the Windsor Spitfires, and they both could be useful NHL players. Nemisz stock has probably dropped a lot because of his struggles, however he probably was a reach as a first rounder in the first place. I think a new environment and a more talented group to play with (sorry Calgary, but your AHL level prospects suck compared to most teams) would get him going. As far as Blacker, I like him and think he has a real opportunity to be an NHL player once he puts it all together however he has quite a logjam of guys to go though before he gets there with Toronto. Good deal.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Colborne for Horak

?

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Not interested in giving up Ferland at this time..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Apocalyptic Mist*

i despise the flames a lot but even i see that they get boned in this trade.

Apocalyptic Mist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:48 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Colborne for Horak

?
Not really all that interested in Colborne. Horak has been a good steady player even at the NHL level and has a very good two way game.

Horak is less of a risk.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I would of loved Colborne and made that swap up until 2 months ago. He wouldn't crack our lineup now and Horak fills more of a need.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Bezer

I'd do the OP's trade as a Flames fan. But just a heads up Nemo was not even invited to prospect camp this year. Nemo recently signed a 1 year contract this year and I really don't think it is a last chance but he's just a warm body for the AHL team. Personally I think the Flames mgmt has lost faith. He might just need a new start as he is pretty low on the depth chart. Oh also he wasn't called up last year at the end of the year with the Flames when everyone else and their dog was coming up for a few games.

Ferland has had an off ice issue (bar fight, which is still on going) and he played with Heat then was sent down to the ECHL and then finally returned to Junior. But he did have a good year this year.

I really don't know much about the TO prospect. But another D prospect would be nice.

I want nothing to do with Lilles. But if TO is giving us something to buy him out then sure, other than that pass.

Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Noori

Nemisz wasn't invited because they weren't inviting players not on their ELC. So Byron, Cundari, Breen, Bouma, none of those guys were there.

That said, Nemisz isn't very good and would be lucky to make the NHL as a fourth line player (and even then he isn't fast or physical enough).

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Jax Teller

It looks like Ferland started the year in the AHL/ECHL. Did nothing and was sent back for his overage year. Where he regressed considerably statistically.

Nemisz has to clear waivers this year and he also regressed considerably statistically.

Blacker was called up a few times last year, although no games. Does not have to clear waivers. While, he hasn't lit it up in pro so far, there seems to be solid chance for an NHL career in some capacity. I'm not a huge Blacker fan but I don't think the Leafs receive anything of value here in comparison to what they're giving up.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Bezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Nemisz wasn't invited because they weren't inviting players not on their ELC. So Byron, Cundari, Breen, Bouma, none of those guys were there.

That said, Nemisz isn't very good and would be lucky to make the NHL as a fourth line player (and even then he isn't fast or physical enough).
Fair enough, although there were players there not on ELCs at the prospect camp but there is a difference definitely in Nemo's case

Old
07-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Bezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
It looks like Ferland started the year in the AHL/ECHL. Did nothing and was sent back for his overage year. Where he regressed considerably statistically.

Nemisz has to clear waivers this year and he also regressed considerably statistically.

Blacker was called up a few times last year, although no games. Does not have to clear waivers. While, he hasn't lit it up in pro so far, there seems to be solid chance for an NHL career in some capacity. I'm not a huge Blacker fan but I don't think the Leafs receive anything of value here in comparison to what they're giving up.
His best year (which was last year) in Junior was 1.41 points per game in 68 games. This year after playing a few games with Brandon he was traded and scored at a 1.03 in a total of 31 games. This after going Pro then getting demoted (ECHL) and yet again (Junior) and then finally traded(Saskatoon). All that might mess with a guy's confidence. So he bounced back from a pretty rough start.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:46 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Ferland started the year in Abbotsford but was not in the shape that he needed to be in order to crack the lineup on a full time basis (keep in mind this was during the lockout and their was an excess of bodies). He was then sent down the the ECHL in order to get some playing time but decided that he would prefer to be returned back to Junior. It was his decision, not the Flames.

While your in the process off calling out players for regressing statistically, it should be pointed out that Jesse Blacker fits into that category as well.

Quote:
The leafs are not giving up any value in this trade to begin with, and quite frankly neither is Calgary. This trade if were to be made would be to address needs for both teams, while also in the hope of recapturing the potential that each of these players once projected to have. It would also more than likely be a one for one swap.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:21 AM
madmike77

As a Flames fan I still want to see what Ferland can do. He's a longshot, but his size, toughness and his scoring success in the WHL make him an intriguing prospect. I'd likely pass, just to roll the dice on Ferland.

As for Nemisz, this is pretty much his make-or-break year. He was progressing decently until he was injured last year. As others have noted his biggest issue is the Flames have a much better prospect pool now than two years ago and he has been passed by several forwards.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
i despise the flames a lot but even i see that they get boned in this trade.
Every Flames fan in this thread either likes the proposal or is indifferent to it.

I'd do the Howse + Nemisz for Liles + Blacker deal as a Leaf fan.

Radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
ALI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Every Flames fan in this thread either likes the proposal or is indifferent to it.

I'd do the Howse + Nemisz for Liles + Blacker deal as a Leaf fan.
Alright now lets message Nonis and Jay and get it done.

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Any info on Howse or Byron Flames fan?

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
The leafs are not giving up any value in this trade to begin with, and quite frankly neither is Calgary. This trade if were to be made would be to address needs for both teams, while also in the hope of recapturing the potential that each of these players once projected to have. It would also more than likely be a one for one swap.

This, a trade that address needs and a change of scenary for the players. But I made it two for one because I think Blacker has more value than Nemiz or Ferland alone.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Howse, despite his scoring in junior hasn't turned it on in Pro yet. He had some conditioning issues which he worked on but still needs to improve his skating. His on-ice vision is questionable as well. Boom/Bust prospect but leaning towards bust at the moment. He has a big opportunity turn it around in the AHL this year though.

Byron is 24 already and didn't do much in the AHL this year, you could even easily argue he has declined. Pretty much looking like a bust at this point but could carve out a career as an AHL player if he chooses.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:54 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
I'd agree with the poster above. Neither is very attractive at this point.

Ferland likely has the highest ceiling of any of the prospects mentioned to this point - but also has a high probability of busting.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote