HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Yep, David Musil was projected to go in the top 5 of his draft a year before his draft year. He was a projected to be the great all around defender as well.

I do think Ekblad will be a top 5 pick tho.
Musil and Ekbald are not really alike aside from size that is. Ekbald is probably as good defensively as Musil but his offensive upside is light-years ahead of Musil at the same time. in his career.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:44 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Ok, this guy is the real deal but let's say others outperform him and he drops out of the top 10-15 and that where the Oilers land. Do they take him or go with a forward. Just imagine what our top 4 dman would look like in the future if it happens.

J.Schultz - Klefbom
Ekblad - Nurse
Marincin - Gernat
No vets on the back end? Maybe in 10 years that could be a good D corps.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

How do Reinhart and Nylander compare to RNH,Mackinnon and Hall in terms of pure skill?

Old
07-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Oilers4life1987

If Yakimov pans out and is our 3/4 C in a few years. Who would be the best fit for the Oilers?

Old
07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
Quote:
If Yakimov pans out and is our 3/4 C in a few years. Who would be the best fit for the Oilers?

Old
07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Never too early to talk draft, right?

This isn't a thread to talk about the Oilers position in the final standings. Just want to discuss prospects in the 2014 Draft with an Oilers-centric view. Don't know too much about the draft right now, so would love to hear more.

Right now I think three prospects have separated themselves into the top tier:

Aaron Ekblad - Next big thing on the blueline
Sam Reinhart - Looking like the most talented of his brothers. Skilled center.
William Nylander - highly offensively talented Swedish center.

And then there'll be some prospects I'll be tracking for the Oilers 1st rounder with a bias towards centers/physical wingers:

Leon Draisatl - Looked real good in the WJC. Think he may rise to Top-5. LW/C
Michael Dal Colle - PWF that played LW on a team deep down the middle (Jenner, Laughton). Think he'll be returning to center next season.
Nick Ritchie - Sounds like an aggressive physical RW with goal scoring touch. Shoots left (love it). Rising.
Jared McCann - Strong two-way center, good skater. Concussion knocked him out of OHL Playoffs.
Jake Virtanen - Aggressive LW that brings the puck to the net.
Blake Clarke - Best of the American crop. PWF LW. Bobby Ryan like?
Conner Bleackley - Red Deer Rebels center looking to break out.
Sam Bennett - high energy center with offensive pop.

Have my eye on this guy! He has steadily improved over the past few years, good old Western Canadian Boy, doesnt mind the rough stuff. Great kid!

Old
07-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
This is just a dumb question.. the Oilers aren't going to know the answer to that before the draft. Right now our biggest need is a center no matter how some of our C prospects pan out a few years after.

Old
07-24-2013, 08:31 PM
12Gage09

Oilers offseason moves should put them in position to make a playoff push and won't have a top 10 pick. Oilers just had a run of 3-1st overall picks and won't be picking in the Top 5 again for a long time. so cross off McDavid next year too... Aaron Ekblad didn't recieve 'Exceptional Player Status' for no reason. he's a big guy, good defender who plays in all situations. Ekblad is not as offensive as Seth Jones but that's why you have forwards. I always hear how defencemen are offensively gifted but need to work on their defensive game. That's sooo stupid because they are defencemen and should be better at defending and Ekblad will do that. Nikolay Goldobin of the Sarnia Sting will be a possible top pick. He had 68 points in 68 games and finished behind Connor McDavid for OHL Rookie Of The Year.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Conner Bleackley definitely is a special player. I have seen him the past few years in Red Deer and am actually good friends with Bleacks. I can see him for sure going in the 1st Round. He has a hell of a shot.

Joshua Ho-Sang is up there aswell. Along with another Red Deer Rebel Hadyn Fluery. Big Two-Way Defender with lots of Offensive Upside.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
Conner Bleackley definitely is a special player. I have seen him the past few years in Red Deer and am actually good friends with Bleacks. I can see him for sure going in the 1st Round. He has a hell of a shot.

Joshua Ho-Sang is up there aswell. Along with another Red Deer Rebel Hadyn Fluery. Big Two-Way Defender with lots of Offensive Upside.
Does "Bleacks" know your "good friends" with him?

Old
07-27-2013, 04:51 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Definitely buying the Ekblad hype. Guy was a beast in the OHL playoffs, and in his pre-draft year was playing shutdown minutes as the best defenseman on a team that made the OHL Finals.

This is the real deal people.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:11 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Would love for the chance to draft Reid Duke, probably in the 2nd round. I watched him over the course of the year and he has really impressed me. He is a center and is skilled and has a decent two-way game, and does not shy away from the physical stuff either.

Old
07-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Crabapple

Been hearing the Ekblad hype for quite a few years now. Interesting to see where he ends up! Should be a pretty strong draft

Old
07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage09 View Post
Oilers offseason moves should put them in position to make a playoff push and won't have a top 10 pick. Oilers just had a run of 3-1st overall picks and won't be picking in the Top 5 again for a long time.
Actually I think the opposite... MacT seems content with three of Smyth Joensuu Brown Lander getting regular minutes next year... and he seems to not be worried we will not have a top line C to start 2013-14...

Really we could look like this on opening night:

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Jones-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth/Lander-Brown

How in hell does that team even sniff the playoffs... you can say oh yes it's only one month... but RNH will need at least four weeks to get back into the swing of things... or at least we should expect that... all of a sudden it could be December 1 before we are even running at full power... and that is without injuries to another key guy... or even one of our top nine centers

We're screwed if we spend any time looking like this...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Jones-Lander-Hemsky
Joensuu-Smyth-Brown

Or worse

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Eberle-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones
Joensuu-Lander-Brown

As much as I want to think this is the year we take that next step... I think it is more another learning year... we still need Yak RNH and Gags to show they can be consistent high performers... and there are many holes in the bottom six and even on D to sort out long term

Bottom lime I think this team is more entertaining next year... 6-4 games etc... but playoff team? No... I would expect we finish 26th this year... keep in mind I nailed our finish last year... we will take a small step back in 2013-14... no shame in that but that is what a rebuild involves

With that said Oilers top targets need to be bulky wingers or a beast of a defensive C... I think we finally have real depth at D at for the first time in a long time... so unless we are in position to take Ekblad it is smarter to grab a PF...

30th (CGY?)- Reinhart
29th (BUF?)- Nylander
28th (FLA?)- Ekblad
27th (CAR?)- McKeown
26th (EDM?)- Clarke, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Draisatl, Lindblom or MacInnis

Old
07-28-2013, 07:00 AM
gwiz999

TSN talks @EK5Colts (Aaron Ekblad) in next years #NHL draft.

http://video.tsn.ca/videohub.aspx?dl...73066/clip/484

Old
07-28-2013, 09:49 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Being bad for Ekblad?
Eek for Ek.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Definitely buying the Ekblad hype. Guy was a beast in the OHL playoffs, and in his pre-draft year was playing shutdown minutes as the best defenseman on a team that made the OHL Finals.

Better or worse prospect than Seth Jones?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post

You saw that too eh? I only watched a handful of games, but wow did he just dominate. It was hard to be believe he still wasn't draft eligible given how much he controlled the pace of play when he was on the ice.

I'd say a Ryan Sutter-esq player in the making. I hope the Oilers aren't in a position to draft him, but if they are he's a no brainer.

Old
07-30-2013, 04:33 PM
gwiz999

Aaron will be on the U18 Canadian team. Hopefully we'll see him play U20 World Juniors next year.... unless he ends up on the NHL roster of the team that drafts him. Definitely looking forward to seeing him play for years to come. Nice young man, comes from a great family.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
In my mind he's better. May not put up the same numbers as Jones did on a powerhouse Winterhawks team - but he oozes hockey sense in a Pietrangelonian way. There is no visible deficiency in his game. He can skate, pass, shoot, and defend. And on top of that has high hockey sense. Something Jones doesn't necessarily have in spades.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You saw that too eh? I only watched a handful of games, but wow did he just dominate. It was hard to be believe he still wasn't draft eligible given how much he controlled the pace of play when he was on the ice.

I'd say a Ryan Sutter-esq player in the making. I hope the Oilers aren't in a position to draft him, but if they are he's a no brainer.
Exactly, except that he was 6'3 and ~205lb as a 16yr old. He's a more physically gifted Suter - a Pietrangelo with perhaps even more potential given where he is as a 16yr old.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Mikey71

My hope for our pick is Jared McCann. I saw him a fair bit this past year here in the Soo and I REALLY think he would be a great fit on the 2C spot. 6' and 180lbs, good at both ends of the ice, plays with a bit of an edge, and put up some points as a 16 year old. What made me like his season this past year is he really did get better month by month. I am worried he will play himself out of the range where we will be picking. I think he has a shot of climbing near the 5th overall spot by draft time.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:31 PM
rockinghockey

I think that we will be drafting around 10-13. That is an improvement to the team. The following seasons the bottom 6 gets improved and here we go into the playoffs.

If we are drafting 10-13 which prospects do you guys like?
I don't know much about prospects so a bit of detail about their size, position, where you expect them to play when they make to the NHL would be great.

I am guessing centreman then wingers of course with size.

Old
07-31-2013, 05:15 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Different. Jones is a great skater with tremendous offensive flair. This makes him stand out more. Ekbald is perhaps a better two-way defenseman. He is certainly more physical and he will probably be the bigger of the two when he matures. For the Oilers I would probably want Ekbald given the choice but it is so hard to tell with defensemen. He and Klefbom could end up being a formidable pair.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:05 PM
BarDownBobo

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1481369

Consensus Rankings based on what's available so far. I feel like the Oil will likely be picking 8-14, will likely take a while to get Eakins systems in, and Nuge might miss a month to start the season. If that's the case, as it sits now they'd be in a position to potentially pick Dal Colle, Virtanen or Clarke, all of whom seem like they'd be good fits.

Closed Thread