HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Chris Gibson (G)

Old
07-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Kingjordan

vCash: 500
Chris Gibson (G)

Curious have not heard about him since he was drafted in 2011..

Any news on him?

Am I missing something?

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:02 AM
DontgoZiggy

Isn't he toronto property now?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/toronto_maple_leafs/

Quote:
Unsigned by the Kings, he would re-enter the draft, but was signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs instead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Gibson

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post

What? Since when?

Old
07-30-2013, 02:09 AM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

When the kings waived him or something.

KingKopitar11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post

Don't get it he was only drafted 2 years ago don't the Kings have more time to sign him? He was that bad they just let him walk?

Wasn't he the 1st pick for the Kings in that draft..

Old
07-30-2013, 02:10 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

The Kings elected not to retain his rights, in part due to his lack of progress over the past two years.

Toronto invited him to development camp, apparently liked what they saw, and signed him to an ELC.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
The Kings elected not to retain his rights, in part due to his lack of progress over the past two years.

Toronto invited him to development camp, apparently liked what they saw, and signed him to an ELC.

Sucks... Especially when the Quaks pick John Gibson with the pick right before that one

Old
07-30-2013, 03:26 AM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Sucks... Especially when the Quaks pick John Gibson with the pick right before that one
Well, 10 picks earlier, but yeah. Same difference. I wish the Kings would have selected Shane Prince, Toffoli's linemate on the '67s.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:39 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Well Bartosak is about the same age as Chris Gibson, as is Niederberger who just signed a contract with Manchester. Honestly I think those two are better goalies than Gibson. Chris just never improved since he was drafted, and was still as raw as when he was drafted. The Kings probably saw that and figured Bartosak and Niederberger where the better prospects.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

You have two years to sign players after they are drafted out of junior hockey, and Gibson wasn't signed after those two years. As such, he re-entered the draft. It would seem most other teams agree with the Kings, since he wasn't selected in the 2013 draft either.

Toronto eventually signed him as a UFA after the draft, after they had invited him to their rookie camp and I assume liked what they seen.

I was surprised they didn't sign him, but they obviously had fall back options in mind, considering they drafted Bartosak and signed (via Manchester) Neiderberger.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:47 AM
spk15

Every year teams (Kings) or what team you choose to root for draft players or sign freee agents or coolege kids. Some pan out some don't. Some mature quicker some develop quicker.....others don't. We drafted Thomas Hickey 5th overall and to this day he is role small parttime role player. Doesn't matter where a player is drafted if they can't help team win they are gone if the Kings thought Gibson wasn't developing as well as other goalie prospects well then its time for hm to go. There will be other years and drafts to pick other goalies but you can't wait for a player to develop if he is not developing as quickly as other prospects. He might be the next Roy or the next Cloutier who knows but you can say that about any player. How many first round bust are there in the history of the NHL we have one playing for us right now his name is Keaton Elerby. I think we got him for a 5th rounder. You never know

spk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:09 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk15 View Post
Every year teams (Kings) or what team you choose to root for draft players or sign freee agents or coolege kids. Some pan out some don't. Some mature quicker some develop quicker.....others don't. We drafted Thomas Hickey 5th overall and to this day he is role small parttime role player. Doesn't matter where a player is drafted if they can't help team win they are gone if the Kings thought Gibson wasn't developing as well as other goalie prospects well then its time for hm to go. There will be other years and drafts to pick other goalies but you can't wait for a player to develop if he is not developing as quickly as other prospects. He might be the next Roy or the next Cloutier who knows but you can say that about any player. How many first round bust are there in the history of the NHL we have one playing for us right now his name is Keaton Elerby. I think we got him for a 5th rounder. You never know
Thing with the 2011 draft is that looking at the goalies taken (it is still very early to generalizing but still,) it may go down as one of the worst drafts ever for goalies. The best goalies from that draft year may have been taken in the following two drafts... There isn't really any goalie in that 2011 draft that I'd love to have my team taken. It's a bunch of projects and guys with long term development ahead of them. Outside of maybe John Gibson the other guys are all just very meh and unimpressive and even he has question marks.

Old
08-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Thing with the 2011 draft is that looking at the goalies taken (it is still very early to generalizing but still,) it may go down as one of the worst drafts ever for goalies. The best goalies from that draft year may have been taken in the following two drafts... There isn't really any goalie in that 2011 draft that I'd love to have my team taken. It's a bunch of projects and guys with long term development ahead of them. Outside of maybe John Gibson the other guys are all just very meh and unimpressive and even he has question marks.
To be fair, what could really be said about Jonathan Quick two years after being drafted? A .929 in NCAA where plenty of goalies post >.920 svp. Ok....

Even after 3 years you'd be looking at a .855 NHL svp, .905 ECHL svp goalie, not somebody that inspired much confidence.

I do kinda agree, still shocked that teams passed on Patrik Bartosak last year...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I heard somewhere that Gibson had a couple of previous commitments that he had planned on honoring that would take hm away from the game for parts of each of the next two seasons. I can't remember what it was so if anyone else has heard the same thing and can post it that would be great.

Either way DL did what DL does when things don't work out one way he finds another.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
To be fair, what could really be said about Jonathan Quick two years after being drafted? A .929 in NCAA where plenty of goalies post >.920 svp. Ok....

Even after 3 years you'd be looking at a .855 NHL svp, .905 ECHL svp goalie, not somebody that inspired much confidence.

I do kinda agree, still shocked that teams passed on Patrik Bartosak last year...
Right but Quick definately falls into that long-term development category, I guess the point I was trying to make was that no where in the 2011 draft has there or does there appear to be anytime soon seem like there is a Price, Mason, Bernier, Fleury, Varlamov, or any other guy that comes out of Juniors or Europe, NHL ready a couple years after he's drafted. All of the goalies from that year look like long-term projects like Quick was right now. Just pointed out what looks like a huge lack of high end goalies from that draft year.

Yeah Bartosak sort of came out of nowhere, was he even ranked for the 2011 or 2012 draft?

Old
08-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Well, 10 picks earlier, but yeah. Same difference. I wish the Kings would have selected Shane Prince, Toffoli's linemate on the '67s.
I always wondered if the Kings were targeting Matt Nieto that year. The Sharks traded up from #59 to #47 to grab Nieto and the Kings ended up with Gibson at #49.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Yeah Bartosak sort of came out of nowhere, was he even ranked for the 2011 or 2012 draft?
He was ranked last year (2012). Ranked as the #8 NA goalie, ahead of guys like Altschuller, Dreidger, Matt Murray, Francois Tremblay, etc. He was one, if not the the top, rookie G in WHL. A serious shoulder injury had cost him much of the second half of the season though.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I heard somewhere that Gibson had a couple of previous commitments that he had planned on honoring that would take hm away from the game for parts of each of the next two seasons. I can't remember what it was so if anyone else has heard the same thing and can post it that would be great.

Either way DL did what DL does when things don't work out one way he finds another.
Are you thinking of the Finnish military obligation? He has talked about that in some interviews with the media.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:39 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Hasn't played many games for the Marlies, but the three he had he's looked really good.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Hasn't played many games for the Marlies, but the three he had he's looked really good.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he's maybe pulling his game together.

Cheers to the Toronto/LA goalie factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I always wondered if the Kings were targeting Matt Nieto that year. The Sharks traded up from #59 to #47 to grab Nieto and the Kings ended up with Gibson at #49.
Sorry I'm 4 months late on this Brodeur but that's a really interesting thought.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk15 View Post
We drafted Thomas Hickey 5th overall and to this day he is role small parttime role player.
4th...

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote