HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
For further insight, you might want to check out Taylor's Facebook page (Taylor ZombieChick Galvin). 'Interesting'.
haha wow. no **** eh

Old
07-28-2013, 04:51 PM
doubledown99

Guy I think your show is amazing. I would listen to it more but only listen to radio when I'm in my car (I still listen in though...). If you had one of those other slots (mornings or drive home) your ratings would probably go through the roof.

Hey I don't know how willing teams are to share draft boards (after the draft) but I'm sure a lot of us here on HF would love to hear who teams had on their boards and compare them to the ones available for free. Just to get an idea.

Somebody posted the Canucks 2010 draft board about a month ago and I found it quite interesting.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
I like pretty much all the programming, I listen all day, there is just a few things I dislike..

-Can you please talk more about NFL or SOMETHING now that training camp has started?? I don't watch CFL anymore, and while I love the Oilers more than anything, I would appreciate some other content.

-Lowetide, I don't mind listening to you, smart guy, decent show, but sometimes I feel like some of your guests are calling in from their parents basements...who are these guys?? lol

Old
07-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
By the way, I know mine isn't the most listened to show out there but I do enjoy, respect and listen to feedback from listeners so feel free to let me know what you think - good and/or bad.

Also, all this past month we've brought back what will now be an ongoing summer feature that I call IN STUDIO. Basically, we're going to get a couple players or coaches or scouts to come in and sit with us for an hour and just shoot the ****. It's a good way to get to know them and it's been a LOT of fun.

So far this summer we've had (with Links):

July 6th: goalie Matt Tomkins (CHI) and skater Peter Quenneville (CLS)
July 9th: Keegan Lowe (CAR) and Dillon Simpson (EDM)
July 13th: Eric Comrie (WPG), Colin Smith (COL) and Brandon Magee (free agent plays for WHL Victoria)
July 16th: David Glen (free agent plays for Penn State) and Adam Tambellini (NYR)
July 23rd: Travis Ewanyk (EDM) and Colton Parayko (STL)
July 27th: Cody Kunyk (free agent scorer playing for Alaska Nanooks) and Greg Chase (EDM)

This coming Tuesday I'll have a scout show - Brian Gross (San Jose) and Rick Jackson (NHL Central Scouting).

We'll try and keep it going in August but players start leaving for NCAA or WHL camps. Any requests? They have to be local guys so that they can come in.

Some of the stories that have come up have been awesome. "Fat Dill" could be a instant classic for fans I think.

Cheers!

- Guy
I don't hear your show that often but every time I do I think you guys do a good job. As for requests of local area talent, what about Alex Petrovic? I was very upset when the Oilers passed on him (taking Pitlick instead).

Old
07-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I don't hear your show that often but every time I do I think you guys do a good job. As for requests of local area talent, what about Alex Petrovic? I was very upset when the Oilers passed on him (taking Pitlick instead).
I can check to see if he's around again this summer, I had him in studio last year in case you missed that one.

07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Tyler Benson?

Old
07-29-2013, 08:23 AM
abootzky

Quote:
By the way, I know mine isn't the most listened to show out there but I do enjoy, respect and listen to feedback from listeners so feel free to let me know what you think - good and/or bad.

Also, all this past month we've brought back what will now be an ongoing summer feature that I call IN STUDIO. Basically, we're going to get a couple players or coaches or scouts to come in and sit with us for an hour and just shoot the ****. It's a good way to get to know them and it's been a LOT of fun.

So far this summer we've had (with Links):

July 6th: goalie Matt Tomkins (CHI) and skater Peter Quenneville (CLS)
July 9th: Keegan Lowe (CAR) and Dillon Simpson (EDM)
July 13th: Eric Comrie (WPG), Colin Smith (COL) and Brandon Magee (free agent plays for WHL Victoria)
July 16th: David Glen (free agent plays for Penn State) and Adam Tambellini (NYR)
July 23rd: Travis Ewanyk (EDM) and Colton Parayko (STL)
July 27th: Cody Kunyk (free agent scorer playing for Alaska Nanooks) and Greg Chase (EDM)

This coming Tuesday I'll have a scout show - Brian Gross (San Jose) and Rick Jackson (NHL Central Scouting).

We'll try and keep it going in August but players start leaving for NCAA or WHL camps. Any requests? They have to be local guys so that they can come in.

Some of the stories that have come up have been awesome. "Fat Dill" could be a instant classic for fans I think.

Cheers!

- Guy
I like the 'In Studio' idea a lot. It's a smart way to keep things fresh in the summer.

My only other comment about The Pipeline Show? I like Guy. I like Dean. The show (long the TEAM's best niche program) is better when they are on together.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
I like the 'In Studio' idea a lot. It's a smart way to keep things fresh in the summer.

My only other comment about The Pipeline Show? I like Guy. I like Dean. The show (long the TEAM's best niche program) is better when they are on together.
I agree. Unfortunately that cant always happen as Dean's primary gig is his job at Global so that schedule comes first (as it should).

Old
07-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Tyler Benson?
That's a solid idea. We tried to get him and Sam Steele in before the Bantam draft too.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
That's a solid idea. We tried to get him and Sam Steele in before the Bantam draft too.
Forgot about him.

A show with both those guys would be gold Jerry.

Failing that possibly Tyler and Cole Benson.

Mitch Moroz and Matt Dumba? Good friends from down south.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Wow, attacking a traffic reporter's performance. That's a new low.
No she's subpar at this point.. Never on her cues, has the mic too close so you hear mouth noises. Never has direction of travel and I have counted one time she didn't screw up somehow. Be it a stutter, misplaced pause, improper info.

Why the hell does she add "is" to things? Henday and Yellowhead IS stay left? How about direction of travel once and a while.

Last edited by Valic: 07-29-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old
07-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Any requests?
How about Brendan Ranford and Mark McNeill?
Tyson Baillie, and Tyler Morrison are draft eligible in 2014.
John Quenneville Taylor Cooper and Jordan Papirney are draft eligible in 2014 too and play for Brandon. I'm sure that would make Dean happy.
Dakota Conroy and Connor Honey broke out a bit as 18 year olds in the WHL last year.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I am the Liquor

Or maybe she learns from her mistakes and gains valuable experience?

Cripes you guys are harsh.

I suppose everything went smoothly for all of you when you first started a new job? No mistakes?

Old
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Re: Guy- Troy Rutkowski and Adam de Champlain?

Old
07-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:

I suppose everything went smoothly for all of you when you first started a new job? No mistakes?
Its been months. The kids at Nait on NR92 are better by 2nd semester let alone months on the job.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:42 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Its been months. The kids at Nait on NR92 are better by 2nd semester let alone months on the job.
I dont think she is that bad. Ive heard other station's traffic reports and they dont give direction of the trouble either lots of times. Or the information is old and not up to date.

Youve got guys like Tencer stinking up the air waves for YEARS, not months, and to top it off, the guy gets promoted.

Not THAT'S something to complain about.

Old
07-29-2013, 08:55 PM
abootzky

Quote:
I dont think she is that bad. I've heard other station's traffic reports and they dont give direction of the trouble either lots of times. Or the information is old and not up to date.
So you're telling me that if Jake Daniels had a side gig as a heavily tattooed fetish model like Ms. Galvin, you would've cut him some more slack?

Old
07-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Bergeron47

Few thoughts:

Living in Australia now, I listen to only podcasts now which are quite handy when driving to and from work, or anywhere else that takes 15+ minutes.
Before moving to Australia 5 years ago, Jason Gregor was by far my favorite radio guy.
A couple years passed before I realized that the Edmonton shows were on podcast, and I made the switch to Bob Stuffer's Oilers Now.
I had to make the switch because the radio ads from Gregors show were way too long and frequent to enjoy the 15-30 minute drives. CHED cuts out their ads and I find that very convenient. I still love listening to Stauffer though as I love the hints he drops for upcoming moves, and his guests are quality. HOWEVER, when he's away and Reid Wilkens steps in, I listen to Tencer instead. I can't stand Wilkens. I'm not Tencer fan, but he's. decent backup option if I've listened to all of the Oilers Now podcasts for that day.
Basically if 1260 can edit out the radio ads if be happy to get back onto Gregor and give Strudwick a shot (have heard really good things about him even though his voice sort of annoys me)

Old
07-30-2013, 02:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
So you're telling me that if Jake Daniels had a side gig as a heavily tattooed fetish model like Ms. Galvin, you would've cut him some more slack?
No. That has nothing to do with anything. I dont find her attractive tbh. But she is relatively new at her job. I have time for people in situations like that. Heard her traffic report today btw. Very clear and gave directions and everything.

Jake Daniels was a cad who thought goofing off instead of being informed about and talking about, you know................sports, was entertaining.

It wasnt. It was painful. Jake Daniels was also a seasoned vet. No excuses there. He didnt even make an effort. **** him.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Trizent

Strong hint today -- Reid Wilkens Front Runner to Inside Sports gig. Tencer to keep Oilers pre+post gig if Reid gets the Inside Sports job.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Trizent

Brownlee on the sports radio scene including the first to break that SPORTSNET RADIO may hit the air in Edmonton at some point.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/7/29/ra...two-at-the-top

Old
07-30-2013, 06:54 AM
aleshemsky83

I hope we don't get Tim and Sid, they hardly have any sports knowledge how in the world are they doing talk radio everyday?

Old
07-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:

No I didn't when I first started....in Athabasca. Cut your teeth in tiny markets in little towns, then step up to the major markets. She's not good enough for the job she has and she isn't professional enough to realize that's a serious problem.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:00 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Brownlee on the sports radio scene including the first to break that SPORTSNET RADIO may hit the air in Edmonton at some point.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/7/29/ra...two-at-the-top
Few key tidbits from the article. So I'd assume if Sportsnet is coming to Edmonton that Spec won't be on 1260 doing his show.

We really going to end up with 3 stations battling each other?
I fully expect we'll see TEAM 1260 re-branded as TSN 1260 in the not-too-distant future now that Bell Media has bought in.

. . . Don't be surprised if SPORTSNET becomes a player on the local radio airwaves as well. Word is, they're after an AM property (maybe CKUA) to compete with TSN.

. . . 630 CHED is the rights holder for Oiler broadcasts for the upcoming season and then the deal is up for renewal. Both TSN (1260) and SPORTSNET, if they draw in, will contest those rights.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No I didn't when I first started....in Athabasca. Cut your teeth in tiny markets in little towns, then step up to the major markets. She's not good enough for the job she has and she isn't professional enough to realize that's a serious problem.
Not really her fault, blame her boss who decided to use her in a time slot that she isn't ready for.

Closed Thread