HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I don't know if it's hilarious, pathetic or dumb, but I can't help but feel sad for Leafs fans who keep bringing up the Orr incident with Bourque with pride. How little do these guys have to cheer for?
When you're a Laff fan, moral victories are a way of life. Is really all they have.

Old
07-29-2013, 02:46 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Coming from a team boasting the likes of Drewiske, Gorges, Diaz and Bouillon, and most of them in the top 4 ... I don't think we can afford to say a lot of players are awful.
Fraser cannot make an outlet pass to save his life.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Coming from a team boasting the likes of Drewiske, Gorges, Diaz and Bouillon, and most of them in the top 4 ... I don't think we can afford to say a lot of players are awful.
Gorges and Diaz are much better than Fraser at everything except punching other guys, and having a gritty game.

Bouillon is also probably better than Fraser overall defensively.

Old
07-29-2013, 03:24 PM
sheed36

Jets re-sign Zach Bogosian for 7 years $36 million $5.14 AAV.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I don't know if it's hilarious, pathetic or dumb, but I can't help but feel sad for Leafs fans who keep bringing up the Orr incident with Bourque with pride. How little do these guys have to cheer for?
I have been watching hockey for over 30 years and the 3rd period/game 7 collapse last year by the Leafs is easily the most embarrassing moment I have witnessed for any nhl team. If I was a leafs fan then I would never dare bring up a moment that made another team look bad...they have soooo much more to be shameful for.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Leaf fans, where making the playoffs once a decade means your team is one of the best in the east. Never ends the fun times.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:47 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Well that definitely means that Subban's contract talks will start at 7 million.

Way to go, Bergevin.

Old
07-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Well that definitely means that Subban's contract talks will start at 7 million.

Way to go, Bergevin.
I still think he gets the same contract as Karlsson.

Old
07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post

Gorges and Diaz are much better than Fraser at everything except punching other guys, and having a gritty game.

Bouillon is also probably better than Fraser overall defensively.
face it, fraser is in figland for one thing, BIG

Old
07-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Relevance?
Umm... because you can't assign a player a value and offer him a contract in the future?!

Quote:
Top scorer? Well he was their 1st/2nd line centre for the 6 years he's been playing and his higher scoring cohorts are for the most part, younger than he is, they've all had more points and the only time Gagner came close to scoring 50 points was his first year when he had 49. Since then, he's barely putting up 40+. Arguing he's been one of the "top" scorers when he's never put up more than 50 while getting top line minutes is a ridiculous argument at best.
Ridiculous? I'm not the one pretending that he wasn't the 2nd highest scorer on that team with "higher scoring cohorts" 2 of the last 4 years, and was 3rd in another. How is that NOT "a top scorer on the team"? Just... wow.

Quote:
He's getting top 6 minutes as a top 6 forward should. Again, the numbers show that by your own admission.
And producing as well or better than the other top 6 "higher scoring cohorts" on his team. In any other thread involving the value of legitimate top 6 scoring forwards, the value almost universally gravitates to the $4-5 million range. Gagne is one, imo, while DD isn't, again, imo.

Quote:
First off, he's not. The fact you hold on to this misguided notion that he's performing at a top level talent clip is ludacris. AGAIN, he's averaging 44 points per season! How in any world is this producing at a high level?
Ludacris?! Well I better just Roll Out with my evaluation of the level Gagner is starting to play at, then.

Quote:
To compare him to Hall and RNH or even Yakopov shows how misinformed you are. Hall and RNH have already scored 50+ points, Yakopov led the team in scoring in his first season and all 3 are younger than Gagner and project MUCH higher than Gagner did and HAS performed so far. I can't believe you just made that comparison. Lol.

30 of 30 GM, scouts, coaches, players etc. will take Hall & RNG over Gagner, 10 times out of 10, every time, twice on Sunday and on their birthday. This isn't even a debate point. The fact you're trying to make it one shows you have no leg to stand on in your argument. Again, I can't believe you're bringing Hall and RNH into this debate... if you want to call it that.
Sigh... it's commentary on what percentage of the cap he's "worth" relative to the production from him vs his peers. I even go on to state that there were no player comparisons involved, but carry on...

Quote:
For offensive players, production = worth. These are not mutually exclusive. They literally use direct comparisons while negotiating contracts. As for some of the intangibles, yes, they also get factored in to some extent, but they're not the bulk of the contract. All the character in the world only gets you so far but teams pay for performance. Maybe that's something that you don't comprehend.
Fair amount of irony here, but if the Oilers put their money down on getting at least 4 years of 2012/13 Gagner (or his '07-'12 average, even), and you're suggesting that the Habs put their money down (deservedly?) on at least 4 years of 2011/12 Desharnais, who do you think is looking "better" so far?

Quote:
If I knew you worked for the NSA I'd have been logged off. It's nice to know that random people in the world "know" what I do and don't do based on a chat board convo. It does fit your M.O. of righteous indignation’s.

Big ego much. I didn't know I was talking to a hockey savant. Again, for someone who watches as much hockey as you say you do, you definitely make some silly arguments and counter points.
Well, now you know. You should have known long ago, though.

Quote:
So the crux of your rant is this? Has it occurred to you that you've put up zero argument to this point that is based on actual numbers? All you do is bring up abstract comments about Gagner being one of the top on his last place team in scoring but you bring no evidence to support you argument for his exorbitant salary.
So now he IS a top scorer, but his salary is "exorbitant"... Projected through 2015-16? I don't think so, but the Oilers have definitely invested at least a few $100K more than I would have.

Quote:
Speaking of spreadsheet data and rankings, if you actually take a look at one, you'll find that the average cost for a 2nd line centre, BEFORE the cap dropped was around $4M. Gagner was given $4.8M and DD was given $3.5. One made less than the market value of a 60+ point 2nd line centre and the other made $800k more than the market average and averages 44 points a year. Are there other intangibles, of course there are. Would I pay $1.8M more for Gagner than DD? Hells no.
Well how about the $1.3M that it actually is, every year through '15/16? And again, I'm NOT like you in resisting deviating too greatly from what the almighty spreadsheet says.

Quote:
I didn't know you'd take my comment so to heart. You must be a REALLY big Gagner fan or DD stole your wife because this reaction isn't very normal. Last I checked, we live in a free world where I made a comment on a message board about an "opinion." You are aware that everyone is entitled to one, right? Add insult to injury, it's not even like a made a bold statement here but your reaction has made it worth it regardless. Who would ever have thought that commenting that Gagner's contract makes DD's more palpable would be such a lightning rod for you. It seems that the majority of posters agree that even though most aren't big fans of DD, they also believe that Gagner's contract is a lot.
Hurrr... durrr...

Quote:
To further my point so as not to have it distorted by you or anyone else for the umpteenth time, I am not defending or even comparing DD to Gagner. Just made an off the cusp remark that Gagner's contract is so bad that it made DD's look not as bad.
And I just made an off the cusp response suggesting that's a misguided view of the situation. You pretend like you avoided the conversation and I just started throwing random 128 part messages your way.

Quote:
Read above. You have an uncanny ability to distort my comments or just blatantly make them up to suit your talking points. The comparison is with the CONTRACTS, not the players. You can separate the 2 can't you. Here's an example as you seem to not grasp the concept. I like Patches, I like him more at $4.5 M, and I like him way less at $7 M. Do you see how the amount of money a player makes can distort your perception of that player?
I don't pigeon-hole or get tunnel vision when doing player value comparisons. I work "on the whole", and don't get discouraged when (inevitably) there are a few examples that stand against the greater trends that I notice.

Quote:
So to re-iterate as I know you'll distort this comment as well. DD at $3.5M for 4 years, not so happy. Seeing the Oilers over pay (yes, over pay as the $4M mark is a pretty good average) makes DD's contract more palatable. This is an OPINION, not up for debate. Its how I FEEL about the situation, you can't convince me otherwise.
Well, I'd say "cool opinion, bro", but I think it's obvious that I wouldn't necessarily mean it.

Quote:
I appreciate the compliment. It is quite the talent on my behalf to go back in time and alter Gagner's play and manipulate the statistics the NHL and the news agencies provide to the public that support my claim. All those abstract concepts I bring to the table like, stats, point production, plus minus, average salaries etc. are all based on Voodoo concepts like observation and statistics. Who needs those? You on the other hand use hard science to support your view. You've got your "gut" feelings and personal observation of "watching a lot of hockey" that support the "real" facts that you’re smarter and more informed than everyone else. It must be hard being so smart and having to deal with so many stupid people who don't support your infallible views.
Naw, it's not only easy, it's amusing. "Spices of life", and all that.

Quote:
Did I also mention you have an amazing ability to read my mind
You didn't have to, obviously

Quote:
and make statements for me that I've never made (yet, presumably) to support your argument. So not only do you "know" you watch, observe and understand hockey more than most and understand more in 5 minutes than most do in 5 years, you can also speak for me too!
Meanwhile, I didn't even know I had ever made or was going to make the bolded argument you just made for me. Truly an amazing ability you have.
Like I said earlier, just because there are plenty of noted exceptions doesn't mean I'm blind to the larger picture.

Quote:
AGAIN, never justified DD's contract. I made a remark that Gagner's is soo bad, it takes the edges of DD's bad contract.
Mmm... yeah, I think you have at this point.

Quote:
You constantly speak of me as being a Strawman
Well, I didn't mention Pacioretty, or even imply player value projections (you were very clear that Gagner and Desharnais have been paid based on their past production, not what could/should be extrapolated over the coming term of the contracts they were awarded). So yeah... all you. See the following, lol:

Quote:
and the legions of Strawmen out there but you're the epitome of a Strawman. I am using the actual, literal, black and white facts to support my argument. You're the one ignoring the actual facts and using abstract points in a flaccid attempt to prove your point. This Patches argument is exactly what I'm talking about. Saying Patches isn't even a 20 min/night player to support your argument. So what!? Are you saying Patches isn't as good a player as Gagner? Are you saying Gagner deserves more money because he plays 20+ min/night? What's your point? This is what you do all the time. Above, in past comments you compared Gagner to Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakopov etc. in some weird attempt to justify his contract when all those players have put up better numbers, been better players and are younger than Gagner. You attempt to distort, misrepresent and exaggerate your position as you don't really have one. Calling me and other "Strawmen" is one of the most blatant attempts at psychological projection I've seen on HF Boards and that's saying a lot.
Quote:
How can you even argue the first point? It's an opinion on how I feel. It's not debatable.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, they aren't protected by the touchy-feely anti-response police from those who will point out that it may be misguided.

Quote:
Even if you wanted to debate it, you haven't provided ANY tangible proof of why I'm wrong in thinking that. If you're trying to convince me I'm wrong, why haven't you provided any reference to how much DD or Gagner should be making. The onus is on you to show me the err of my ways and not vice versa. You are the one arguing that I'm wrong while I'm defending my point. If you don't like my opinion that's fine. If you want to prove that I'm wrong, you better bring some facts and not your usual Stawman tactics as I see right through them.

Until you do, I stand firmly in my feeling that DD's contract is a little easier to swallow now than it was before but I still hope Eller renders him inconsequential this year and we end up trading DD. I'm not a big fan of his in case you didn't notice by the 15 million times I said it previously.
Okay, so just tell me how much Gagner "should" be paid based on both past performance/production AND projected worth over the coming 4 years. And then explain why Desharnais was awarded more money, term, or both than all of Moulson, Kulemin, Setoguchi, Kennedy, and Bolland. I'll grab an inflatable raft and wait for the "remember the points!" and "60 point player... once" deluge.

That would probably suffice as a starter, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
oh get a room you too

Old
07-29-2013, 10:38 PM
SB164

Just found this and thought you guys might find it as funny as I did.

Old
07-30-2013, 08:25 AM
shutehinside

QUOTE]Umm... because you can't assign a player a value and offer him a contract in the future?! [/QUOTE]

I understand, I just don't see your point.

Quote:
Ridiculous? I'm not the one pretending that he wasn't the 2nd highest scorer on that team with "higher scoring cohorts" 2 of the last 4 years, and was 3rd in another. How is that NOT "a top scorer on the team"? Just... wow.
I never said he wasn't one of their top scorers because unlike you, I don't avoid the facts. I believe in a little thing called context. You can't say "oh well, he's been one of their top scorers" and walk away from the table without mentioning he averages 44 points a season! Only on a perennial basement dwellers can a player be that poor and still be a "top scorer."

Quote:
And producing as well or better than the other top 6 "higher scoring cohorts" on his team. In any other thread involving the value of legitimate top 6 scoring forwards, the value almost universally gravitates to the $4-5 million range. Gagne is one, imo, while DD isn't, again, imo.
That's the point. He's NOT a legitimate top 6 scorer in the league. He's a top 6 forward on his team, who by the way, you may have noticed tends to finish at or near the bottom of the NHL standings with fairly regular consistency.

The same argument you’re making for Gagner can be made for DD. He’s also among the top scoring forwards on his team and was top 3 last year. Yet he’s not even worth $3.5M? Talk about false logic on your side.

Quote:
Ludacris?! Well I better just Roll Out with my evaluation of the level Gagner is starting to play at, then.
He has 1 good 1/2 season in the last 5 and that's enough to warrant his contract? Okay...

So we should have extended DD 2 seasons ago when he was top 3 in the team in scoring? That would have worked out well...

Quote:
Sigh... it's commentary on what percentage of the cap he's "worth" relative to the production from him vs. his peers. I even go on to state that there were no player comparisons involved, but carry on...
Anyone ever tell you can't suck and blow at the same time?

Quote:
Fair amount of irony here, but if the Oilers put their money down on getting at least 4 years of 2012/13 Gagner (or his '07-'12 average, even), and you're suggesting that the Habs put their money down (deservedly?) on at least 4 years of 2011/12 Desharnais, who do you think is looking "better" so far?
So now you're comparing the best of Gagner, to the worst of DD. Good comparison

If you wanted to compare their best years and extrapolate that over 4 years, guess what. DD is the better point getter and value in your "best case" scenario.

If you wanted to take their "worst case" scenario, then it is pretty close to a tie production wise. Value wise, it would still go to DD.

Quote:
Well, now you know. You should have known long ago, though.
Well I figured you were full of something, it just wasn't hockey knowledge.

Quote:
So now he IS a top scorer, but his salary is "exorbitant"... Projected through 2015-16? I don't think so, but the Oilers have definitely invested at least a few $100K more than I would have.
Read above. Never denied he was a top 6 scorer on one of the worst teams in hockey. Just don't see that as being a point of pride as you do.

Quote:
Well how about the $1.3M that it actually is, every year through '15/16? And again, I'm NOT like you in resisting deviating too greatly from what the almighty spreadsheet says.
Still too much to pay.

Quote:
Hurrr... durrr...
Quite the retort. Thanks for coming out.

Quote:
And I just made an off the cusp response suggesting that's a misguided view of the situation. You pretend like you avoided the conversation and I just started throwing random 128 part messages your way.
Glass houses. You're the one who started the rant. I just obliged you.

Quote:
I don't pigeon-hole or get tunnel vision when doing player value comparisons. I work "on the whole", and don't get discouraged when (inevitably) there are a few examples that stand against the greater trends that I notice.
Of course you don't. You saying Gagner is a top 6 forward around the league despite his woeful point production are proof of your objectivity.

Quote:
Well, I'd say "cool opinion, bro", but I think it's obvious that I wouldn't necessarily mean it.
Your silence would have been golden.

Quote:
Naw, it's not only easy, it's amusing. "Spices of life", and all that.
Facts be damned. Who needs them when you got your gut?

Quote:
You didn't have to, obviously

Quote:
Like I said earlier, just because there are plenty of noted exceptions doesn't mean I'm blind to the larger picture.
Just fill in whatever blanks you feel need filling with your own argument. No wonder you think you're never wrong. The counter argument is always manipulated in your brain to suit your argument.

Quote:
Mmm... yeah, I think you have at this point.
In your mind.

Quote:
Well, I didn't mention Pacioretty, or even imply player value projections (you were very clear that Gagner and Desharnais have been paid based on their past production, not what could/should be extrapolated over the coming term of the contracts they were awarded). So yeah... all you. See the following, lol:
Actually you did. Remember the "Patches isn't even a 20 minute per game player where Gagner is" comment. Wow, it must be an amazing feeling to add, ignore, distort etc. things you've said to support your commentary. I guess that's another way you convince yourself how right you always are.

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, they aren't protected by the touchy-feely anti-response police from those who will point out that it may be misguided.
People are entitled to not having their comments taken out of context to support other peoples POV's that don't coincide with their own.

Have an issue with my opinion, bring it on, I can't take care of myself. Calling me or anyone else who holds our views strawmen when you're the one distorting the fact while trying to prove us wrong, is not going to fly.

Unlike your perception of yourself, I am not infallible. If you can prove how I erred in my thinking with actual arguments other than your weak points, I'm happy to listen. You on the other hand bring nothing to the table other than your inflated ego and strawman arguments.

Quote:
Okay, so just tell me how much Gagner "should" be paid based on both past performance/production AND projected worth over the coming 4 years. And then explain why Desharnais was awarded more money, term, or both than all of Moulson, Kulemin, Setoguchi, Kennedy, and Bolland. I'll grab an inflatable raft and wait for the "remember the points!" and "60 point player... once" deluge.

That would probably suffice as a starter, but you don't have to if you don't want to.
I don't have to prove spit to you. I never compared DD’s contract to those other players but I can see you’re trying to side track again so I’ll leave it at that.

You're the one who wanted to show I was wrong in thinking Gagner's contract made DD's more palpable yet for all your 1,543 counter posts, you have yet to show one shred of evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by shutehinside: 07-30-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old
07-30-2013, 08:28 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Guys, this is the Out of Town thread; DD already has a couple threads about him, go there to argue this point...please...

Old
07-30-2013, 08:57 AM
sharks9

Leafs sign Fraser for 1 year, 1.275 million

Old
07-30-2013, 08:59 AM
shutehinside

Good read on the Leafs. Seems Hab fans don't have as a biased an opinion as some would think about the Leafs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl...sct=nhl_t11_a0

Old
07-30-2013, 09:12 AM
lostriver

Quote:
Good read on the Leafs. Seems Hab fans don't have as a biased an opinion as some would think about the Leafs.

Is that Louis Leblanc on the picture (left)?

Old
07-30-2013, 09:12 AM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Jets re-sign Zach Bogosian for 7 years $36 million $5.14 AAV.
Bogosian has 34 goals and 69 assists for 103 points in 297 NHL games as a 23 year old.

Last summer, Subban had 21 goals and 55 assists for 76 points in 160 games as a 23 year old.

The game is about more than just points but if you look at everything else, Subban was still better in every facet of the game at the same age. Not to mention that he had played awesome in all of his playoff games.

On one hand the jets forked 36M for 7 years and we decided to play hardball and would not sign our guy to a long term deal.

Just saying..

Old
07-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

More gold from shute, lol. Dude, you're in over your head, and that's fine. If you want to keep typing nonsense, though, I guess I'll have to oblige you later on.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:23 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
More gold from shute, lol. Dude, you're in over your head, and that's fine. If you want to keep typing nonsense, though, I guess I'll have to oblige you later on.
What can I say, I find your arguements or lack there of very amusing. It's fun to see how much BS you can shovel in hopes of finding one shred of an arguement that actually makes a point. Still waiting for one.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:27 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
Is that Louis Leblanc on the picture (left)?
Lol I don't think so. He does bare a close resemblance though.

Old
07-30-2013, 09:40 AM
sharks9

Quote:

Good article, I remember a few summers ago when the Leafs made all the flashy moves by signing guys like Komisarek, Armstrong and Connolly.

The Clarkson and Bozak deals are going to blow up in their face the same way those terrible deals did.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:30 AM
EXPOS123

And now Pavelski signs a long term deal.....

Call me paranoid, but if the Habs don't get P.K signed longterm soon before the season starts, I have a funny feeling that he and his agent will not negotiate during the season. And if that happens, I can't even begin to imagine the distraction it will cause, not to mention the possibility of the Habs losing him to free agency.

Seriously, what is the hold up?

Old
07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Damn, I was hoping Pavelski would become a UFA at the end of the season so we could sign him. Having Eller, Plekanec and Pavelski on every line would made us a force defensively.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:25 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
And now Pavelski signs a long term deal.....

Call me paranoid, but if the Habs don't get P.K signed longterm soon before the season starts, I have a funny feeling that he and his agent will not negotiate during the season. And if that happens, I can't even begin to imagine the distraction it will cause, not to mention the possibility of the Habs losing him to free agency.

Seriously, what is the hold up?
Bergevin has more than a year to sign him, if it's not done this offseason it's not the end of the world.

We also can't lose him to free agency because he'll still be an RFA.

Closed Thread