HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Today I had 2 penalty shots and 5 shots on goal from the low slot.

I failed to score on any of them.

What moves did you do?

07-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Lady Macbeth
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
What moves did you do?
First one I did a forehand to backhand move which beat the goalie but I never coralled the puck on my backhand. Second one I faked backhand to forehand and took a quick shot to the near post as the goalie cheated across but I missed by a few inches.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Dusted off my P14 Miken stick for tonight's practice. Picking corners like crazy in warmups. Solid touch passing and dekes all night. I'm definitely getting thrown off by the blade lie and lack of rocker on the P88.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:28 AM
stocky

....I got a good pass from my winger and was able to power around the defender on the left side. The goalie came out farther than I thought, and I misjudged the distance between us. When I went to make my move on him, I accidently speared him in the chest as well as myself in the stomach and both of us went crashing to the ice (didn't score). I felt like I should have known better. Good thing everyone was ok.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:06 AM
TheRedShadow

. . . I realised that what I saw someone on here say about only learning one or two skating skills at a time is good advice.

I'm heavily concentrating on crossovers and stops right now. I don't think I should be doing much else than this right now, to really burn it into muscle memory and also because the leg strength/knee bend it's developing is going to be the basis for the next skills, like tight turns, mohawk pivots etc

Old
07-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In practice last night we did some deking drills. Went coast to coast twice deking all the defenders. Then on 1-on-1 drills I won 8 of 8.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The suspender button on my pants ripped last game, which sucks. The pants are too big, but my other pants are too small.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Won a championship in my ball hockey league today.

I got a shutout as well ... feels good man

Old
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Frankie Spankie

Not today but yesterday for my second shift, my head started to hurt and I felt dizzy. I don't know what happened, I ate my usual breakfast and didn't get hit or anything. I sat on the bench for like 5 minutes drinking a lot of water and it eventually went away. I jumped back out there and I played like a man possessed. I scored my first and only coast to coast goal in my life. I went on to score 3 goals and had 2 helpers too. The funniest part of it all, all my goals were on the same exact move. 2 breakaways and one partial breakaway, all with this move, I guess it was worthwhile to watch those Patrice Bergeron highlights that morning before the game.

Old
07-28-2013, 08:42 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Scored two goals in a game for the first time ever. Wanted the hat trick but we were winning 4-1 so I decided to play more defensively (I'm a center).

First goal was your standard garbage goal. Collected a rebound and lifted the puck over to goalies pads.

Second goal was a fluke. I was near the left face off dot and fired a shot. The defender covering me got a piece of my stick so it wasn't a fast shot. Trickled right past the goalie and went in on the far side of the net.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Ozz

Another hatty in an 8-7 win. Had a last soft substitute goalie and skated short-handed for half a period because the rest of our guys were really late. Fun times with nearly 0 subs but we pulled it out!

Old
07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yesterday I was able to wear my Tackla 9000's for the first time in over a year! Finally able to get out of my oversized Reebok 5k's. Weight is only down 7-8 pounds from last year but I think there's a couple extra pounds of muscle in there.

Felt great to be on the ice with those things again and not have to cinch the belt and wear suspenders and have them hanging down past my knees.

Also, it's hilarious how high up they go. The back of the pants goes halfway up my back.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Jisatsu

vCash: 430
Went to open ice this morning to break in my new gloves. It was nice not having smelly hands for the first time in forever, but man I hate brand new gloves haha.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
TheRedShadow

Started work on tight turns. It's interesting starting a new skating skill - figuring out the phases of the move, the shifts in weight etc.

Old
08-01-2013, 06:53 AM
TheRedShadow

. . . was stringing together crossovers both directions and tight turns for a fast weaving motion with loads of knee bend.

Old
08-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One of the local leagues is going to start a new skate at the rink a mile from my house. Wasn't planning on skating with them until next summer but I might make an exception to support them.

Seriously, $150 for 12 skates at the local rink on a regular night at a regular time? Yeah.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:13 AM
blackat

Today I went to another general skate session, and I realised that I still have all my old knowledge of how to skate, but confidence is the only thing that brings it out. Half the time my strides were uneven and my stops sucked, but then I started telling myself that I could do it - and in fact USED to be able to do it all - and suddenly I was back up to my old level. The crossovers were smooth, my speed was good. Two-foot stops. Even the figure skaters were suddenly looking at me like, "what the hell? This girl has been here the last week, and she's suddenly got it??" Haha!

I felt pretty damn proud of myself. Now that I know I still have it all backlogged from 5-6 years ago, I just have to keep skating regularly and slowly extract it back out of myself.

Old
08-02-2013, 07:57 AM
TLow97

Played pick-up last night. Led by the high school coach of the school the rink sits next to. Yeah, was definitely out of their league--When they can find me with the puck and I don't even know I'm open, well...

Was pretty fun though, will probably hit it up again although I have games pretty much once a week through August now.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Thesensation19*

Last night I...

forgot my hockey pants for my adult league game and no one from refs to teammates to opponents had an extra. (sad too, the one day some of my teammates forgot to bring their 3 pairs lol).

Sucks too. Just got the Mako shin guards and shoulder pads and was so hyped. Was a nightmare come true. I literally had nightmares of missing even a minute of ice time and worse a whole game because of equipment or lateness.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Maladus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Last night I...

forgot my hockey pants for my adult league game and no one from refs to teammates to opponents had an extra. (sad too, the one day some of my teammates forgot to bring their 3 pairs lol).

Sucks too. Just got the Mako shin guards and shoulder pads and was so hyped. Was a nightmare come true. I literally had nightmares of missing even a minute of ice time and worse a whole game because of equipment or lateness.
Glad I'm not the only one that has nightmares about missing games because of equipment issues or being late.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:48 PM
snizzbone*
ignore listed

Good idea is to get everyone to donate some equipment and put it in a bag. Every game someone else takes it home and brings it to the games just in case.

Old
08-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Sensinitis

Bought a new helmet(Easton S13), new socks(all red), and more new socks(Sens RBK Edge socks)

Old
08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yesterday I was able to wear my Tackla 9000's for the first time in over a year! Finally able to get out of my oversized Reebok 5k's. Weight is only down 7-8 pounds from last year but I think there's a couple extra pounds of muscle in there.

Felt great to be on the ice with those things again and not have to cinch the belt and wear suspenders and have them hanging down past my knees.

Also, it's hilarious how high up they go. The back of the pants goes halfway up my back.
Jarick, assume you like your Tacklas? I've been thinking of getting a pair, my Eastons are getting oversized too. Any pros/cons I should be thinking about? Thanks!

btw, went to their site and they sell sticks too. You know anything about their nitro lite brand?

Old
08-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Bouma Fett*
Booty Hunter

vCash: 50
Was really, really happy on Saturday. Some friends took me to a pick up type of thing, just a bunch of people gathered together, teams were formed, and we played a bunch of shorter games switching opponents, played for about three hours, there was 6 teams of 6-8 people each, really friendly, just having a good time. It was ball hockey as well, smaller sized playing areas each so three games were going simultaneously. 3 on 3 with us doing our own line changes as we saw fit.

It was a big deal for me, because I fractured my fifth metatarsal on April 29, and it was my first time playing since. I was doing goalie, since out of all my friends, I'm the only one who will. I'm average at best most of the time, but my friends don't care, because they don't have to play goalie if I do haha. But i felt pretty good, still get stiffness and soreness in the foot, my movement speed isn't as good as it used to be, especially side to side. But I played pretty well, and had fun. Don't see myself doing any league type play for a while, likely just going to be me and the friends playing against each other, we like heading to random communities, starting a street hockey game, and letting anyone in the area who wants to join play as long as they got a stick, just fun to do.

TL;DR: Fractured my foot three and a half months ago, played ball hockey for the first time since, really happy about it

Old
08-12-2013, 09:02 AM
redbranch

I played in a charity 3v3 tournament this weekend. I'm pretty beginner level, and I just wanted to get one good one in.

Wasn't my best games, but I did okay. I scored on a faceoff, the center kept trying to tip it through my legs and swim around me, but all he did was put it on my stick, and then get out of my way (and screen his goalie).

I did awful on one timers and tips at first, but during a break me and one of my teammates worked on them. The next game, he went deep in the corner, and put a perfect pass right at the top of the crease. Next thing I know I'm looking at the puck zip over the blocker. Made my day!

Closed Thread