HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WPG] Jets re-sign Zach Bogosian (7 years, $5.14M per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2013, 02:07 AM
  #226
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
The name of my city is Winnipeg. Please learn this and be respectful going forward.

Thank you.
Embrace it!

If I was you guys, I would be going all Starks from game of thrones and being proud of my cold harsh North! Now that I think about it, that would actually be a good avatar theme for you guys: "Winter(peg) is coming"

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:07 AM
  #227
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Your core isn't good enough to get you into the playoffs so what would make you think they're good enough to make you contenders?
You could have easily said that about the Kings in 2009 after they had missed the playoffs for the sixth straight year.

Cores develop and evolve, it's a process. The Jets got eliminated from the playoffs during the second intermission of their final game of the season, they are close to making some noise in the post season.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:59 AM
  #228
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
.
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,617
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Your core isn't good enough to get you into the playoffs so what would make you think they're good enough to make you contenders?
It's not the core that's the problem, IMHO: it's the supporting cast and goaltending.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 03:42 AM
  #229
supert
Registered User
 
supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Over payment , but could end up being a steal in the later years , so i guess all in all fair for both sides .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:02 AM
  #230
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,452
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Problem is that this core is not Stanley Cup level. Lengthy contracts of that magnitude should be given only to prime players (top 30 D or top 30 F) which none of these guys fit in.

The Jets are creating inflation with their latest contracts.
A little bit of arithmetic; Assuming 6% HRR growth per annum, here's what the salary cap looks to be like the next 7 seasons...

SeasonCap million $
2013-2014$64.300
2014-2015$68.158
2015-2016$72.247
2016-2017$76.582
2017-2018$81.177
2018-2019$86.048
2019-2020$91.211

Winnipeg will be a "maxed out cap team" only for this artificially low first season of the CBA. Next season we lose Jokinen's contract as well. The Jets are getting set for the long term. These long term contracts will actually be deflationary as the cap goes up.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:14 AM
  #231
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,452
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
It's not the core that's the problem, IMHO: it's the supporting cast and goaltending.
And the coaching...
  1. dragging down Kane with boat anchors like Jokinen+Miettinen
  2. playing Pavelec in back-to-back games when he's known to be horrible in game 2 http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/...el-goalie-2013
Two more wins, and we'd be in the playoffs. Actually converting a regulation loss to the Islanders into a regulation win would've gotten us in. Noel blew it.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:17 AM
  #232
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
.
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,617
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
And the coaching...
  1. dragging down Kane with boat anchors like Jokinen+Miettinen
  2. playing Pavelec in back-to-back games when he's known to be horrible in game 2 http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/...el-goalie-2013
Two more wins, and we'd be in the playoffs. Actually converting a regulation loss to the Islanders into a regulation win would've gotten us in. Noel blew it.
Agree these are areas that need improvement - even utilizing Montoya to spell off Pavs and avoid his notoriously bad SV% on back to backs may have been enough to squeak in.

Back to Bogo: love the signing.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 05:55 AM
  #233
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
I'm glad to have him signed for such a long term. I think this season will the one where he really shows his ability. H's been good the last 2 years, but I believe he has significant room to improve. He'll be fully rested and recover from his past wrist issue. The AAV amount doesn't really bother meet as I thought he would get 5mil on a long term deal. I was hoping for 8 year, because that's how much I believe in his upside and ability. Anyways, glad to have him be along-term part of the "Jets experience".

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 06:47 AM
  #234
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf
 
RealisticLeaf55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, On.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
why bogo... just why?

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:22 AM
  #235
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
why bogo... just why?
Are you asking Bogo why the Jets or the Jets fans why Bogo?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 07:46 AM
  #236
varano
Registered User
 
varano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Bogo was an important signing for Jets fans. The moral of fans would have dropped dramatically without him. Let's not forget that this is a new franchise that needs as much fan support as possible.

The Winnipeg jets in alot of ways are a reference team for expansion in Canada. Should the Jets fail for some reason, Bettman will always have the reference point to say that he tried giving Canada another team and it simply didn't work.

Good signing for the Jets and good signing for Canada

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
  #237
Sticky Fingers
NYR
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
Congrats Jets to a good deal. Most team would pay him that amount. Not all team would sign him for that many years, but It could very well end up being real cheap some years from now.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:51 AM
  #238
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,441
vCash: 500
Fair market deal.

Team is happy, Bogo is happy.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:51 AM
  #239
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
You could have easily said that about the Kings in 2009 after they had missed the playoffs for the sixth straight year.

Cores develop and evolve, it's a process. The Jets got eliminated from the playoffs during the second intermission of their final game of the season, they are close to making some noise in the post season.
It's good they kept the guys the fans like. That being said, making the playoffs just got a lot harder with realignment.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:59 AM
  #240
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 24,002
vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
He is a genius, it's the clown who gave him the contract who is stupid. Maybe in 2 years he is worth it, but I guess Winnipeg didn't want to give him a bridge contract
If you had read above, you would have understood why his 3rd contract wasn't a bridge contract. But then again, we would have to trust you to read meaningful posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Obviously the Winnipeg Jets see something in Zach that I haven't seen yet.

There's really no middle ground on a deal this long. It's either going to be a steal in a few years or its going to be a boat anchor.
Why can't it just be a solid deal? Not great but not bad? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Bogosians a good skater.

McDonagh is just a lot better.
If McDonagh is a lot better skater then Bogosian, then he would be the best skater in the league. You clearly have little understanding of Bogosians skating ability. I'm not saying he's better then McDonagh, just that your post suggest you have little knowledge of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
The name of my city is Winnipeg. Please learn this and be respectful going forward.

Thank you.
Rather ironic post here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Problem is that this core is not Stanley Cup level. Lengthy contracts of that magnitude should be given only to prime players (top 30 D or top 30 F) which none of these guys fit in.
Mc
The Jets are creating inflation with their latest contracts.
So you're suggesting that not one of Enstrom, Buff, or Bogosian are a top pairing defenseman?!??!? Can't really take your post seriously when you make such outlandish statements like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Your core isn't good enough to get you into the playoffs so what would make you think they're good enough to make you contenders?
Not to be rude, but this is a very ignorant post. I was unaware supporting casts is irrelevant. Guess Chicago and Boston could have both still made it to the finals with Joker as their #2 center and Miettinen as their #2 RW.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
  #241
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 24,002
vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It's good they kept the guys the fans like. That being said, making the playoffs just got a lot harder with realignment.
We went from the weakest division to... The new weakest division with better odds to make it. Didn't really get harder honestly. Maybe in a few years the divion will be tougher, but goiń into next season it's pretty weak outside of Chicago and St. Louis.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:03 AM
  #242
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
We went from the weakest division to... The new weakest division with better odds to make it. Didn't really get harder honestly. Maybe in a few years the divion will be tougher, but goiń into next season it's pretty weak outside of Chicago and St. Louis.
I disagree. I think Minnesota and Dallas are pretty strong teams. Nashville will be back and Colorado is getting better. I put the Jets around Colorado and Nashville at this point.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
  #243
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,122
vCash: 500
Looks like a fair deal to me.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:42 AM
  #244
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup* View Post
This clown isn't half the defenseman McDonagh is. He's been a bust so far in his career. It's moronic contracts like this that allow players to go to FA and get idiotic money. I don't ever want to hear these stupid, small market owners cry about the CBA or finances again. They are the tools who are handing out idiotic contracts.
I bet you hear plenty of moronic, stupid, idiotic things without any of the small market owners saying anything.

Good contract for both sides IMO. Getting Bogo under contract for 5 UFA years is huge.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
  #245
bluechipbonzo
Registered User
 
bluechipbonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Somewhere, Garth Snow is smiling.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:19 AM
  #246
nags
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Embrace it!

If I was you guys, I would be going all Starks from game of thrones and being proud of my cold harsh North! Now that I think about it, that would actually be a good avatar theme for you guys: "Winter(peg) is coming"
We would embrace it if it were actually true. Our average temps are warmer than Calgary or Edmonton 9 months out of every year. If you asked the average winnipeger if they think winterpeg is fully descriptive of their city they would cringe. How do you explain all the outdoor pools and air conditioning.
It's disrespectful and hurts the city's image. We have a fully functioning summer festival season for a good reason... We actually have summer and it's superior to anything west.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:35 AM
  #247
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 77,298
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tagli Eddie View Post
This is simply not true under any circumstance.
No, it is true. McDonagh is pretty clearly the better skater. He's one of the best skaters in the league, even. I'm surprised this is even a debate here.

In fact, I'd say McDonagh is better in just about every category. Bogo is perhaps slightly better offensively, but it's not like comparing Mike Green to McDonagh. Defensively it's not really all that close as McDonagh is a top pairing guy with fantastic defense.

Only reason Bogo is getting more is due to the UFA years WPG is buying. And even then I don't feel that he should be getting all that much more.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
  #248
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith
 
Thesaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Cosmos
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No, it is true. McDonagh is pretty clearly the better skater. He's one of the best skaters in the league, even. I'm surprised this is even a debate here.

In fact, I'd say McDonagh is better in just about every category. Bogo is perhaps slightly better offensively, but it's not like comparing Mike Green to McDonagh. Defensively it's not really all that close as McDonagh is a top pairing guy with fantastic defense.

Only reason Bogo is getting more is due to the UFA years WPG is buying. And even then I don't feel that he should be getting all that much more.
You're nuts if you think he's a better skater than Bogosian, it's arguably Bogosian's best attribute. He might even be the best skater on our team and that's saying a lot with guys like Kane, Wheeler and Enstrom on the team.

Thesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:44 AM
  #249
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 77,298
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaurus View Post
You're nuts if you think he's a better skater than Bogosian, it's arguably Bogosian's best attribute. He might even be the best skater on our team and that's saying a lot with guys like Kane, Wheeler and Enstrom on the team.
I'm not nuts. I'm being pretty realistic. McDonagh is pretty easily the better skater. I'm not knocking Bogo. It's just that McDonagh is an elite skater in this league. He always has been. It's pretty universally held that he's one of the best skating defensemen in this entire league. I think Bogo is a very, very good skater. Better than the rest of our defense in that regard for sure. Just not at McDonagh's level.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
  #250
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 10,997
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
It's good they kept the guys the fans like. That being said, making the playoffs just got a lot harder with realignment.
Only in the East. Winnipeg have a 57% chance of making the playoffs in the West.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.