HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
SKS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Give me a break with this garbage. Any sort of criticism of this guy is labeled as "bashing" him. Grow some thicker skin.

Those "bashing" him were the only ones assigning fair value to him this entire time. The posters saying they were fine with giving him $2M were just being wasteful.
That may be, but you are saying this is a dose of reality for a player who agreed, prior to arbitration, to a deal with a number you find decent.

The guy has showed that he wants to be a Ranger, he is proving that he loves to be in NY as he has expressed, and there is no indication that he had any different sense of reality than you did. I fail to see how he is to blame for people who - in your view - are estimating him too highly.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
NickyFotiu

What a greedy kid. 1.15 mill? After only 80 games? I was thinking it would be around 300k. Oh well I guess we overpaid again. Darn Zooks how can you be so money hungry?

Old
07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
The Rangers have players they want for those spots. Kristo, Miller, Hrivik. They want kids for those spots. It's only 2 spots as well, we still have A LOT of forwards. Too many.

I've seen sather deal Ales Kotalik before, I'm sure he could send someone somewhere for future considerations. I'm not looking for anything in return but space.
Everything they have done to this point suggests they do not believe those kids are ready to take those spots. If they believed otherwise, they wouldn't have signed Pouliot and Moore.

If anything, a kid or two will get a cup of coffee while Hagelin and Callahan are out. I highly doubt any of them make a consistent contribution this season.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:29 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Good deal. Prove it contract. If Mats has a big year he will get paid.

07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Those kids still have to earn those spots. They aren't going to just hand them to them. Why do we go through this every year? Every year people complain that there are no spots for kids and (nearly) every year kids make the team. If they are among the top 12 forwards, they will play. It's as simple as that.

If we trade players now and pencil in a kid, what do we do if the player isn't ready? Keep him in the NHL anyway? How does that help him or the team?
Do the Rangers have to be under the 64.3M by the time camps open or by the time the season starts?

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Everything they have done to this point suggests they do not believe those kids are ready to take those spots. If they believed otherwise, they wouldn't have signed Pouliot and Moore.

If anything, a kid or two will get a cup of coffee while Hagelin and Callahan are out. I highly doubt any of them make a consistent contribution this season.
IMO Miller will play alot this season.

Old
Cresto
Much .500

Lol if he ends up playing for the wp again
With $225K against the cap, new coach, new system, the chances of his success/failure in the NHL has just been polarized.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:32 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I think the real positive is they don't have to. If they aren't ready they can hit the A instead of being 4th liners/scratches because the only other options are Newbury and Ferriero. If they impress in camp and force a vet out, great.

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Do the Rangers have to be under the 64.3M by the time camps open or by the time the season starts?
By the time the season starts.

Old
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Those kids still have to earn those spots. They aren't going to just hand them to them. Why do we go through this every year? Every year people complain that there are no spots for kids and (nearly) every year kids make the team. If they are among the top 12 forwards, they will play. It's as simple as that.

If we trade players now and pencil in a kid, what do we do if the player isn't ready? Keep him in the NHL anyway? How does that help him or the team?
They've already told AV they are expecting kids to make this team.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:33 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Awesome.

Get Stepan done at 7 yrs/$28 million. He'll be a huge bargain from the get-go.

Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I like that we'll have lots of guys playing for contracts next season.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
That may be, but you are saying this is a dose of reality for a player who agreed, prior to arbitration, to a deal with a number you find decent.

The guy has showed that he wants to be a Ranger, he is proving that he loves to be in NY as he has expressed, and there is no indication that he had any different sense of reality than you did. I fail to see how he is to blame for people who - in your view - are estimating him too highly.
Again, I am not bashing Zuccarello in any way. This contract was fair in comparison to his value and experience.

I think its ridiculous that "he wants to be a Ranger and loves NY!" is an excuse to give him a dime more than he deserves.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
By the time the season starts.
oh ok.. so yeah, no reason to trade anyone yet, see if any of the kids impress in camp first.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:

Signing depth guys have little to do with faith in youth.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
Awesome.

Get Stepan done at 7 yrs/$28 million. He'll be a huge bargain from the get-go.
Why would Stepan sign that deal?

Old
07-30-2013, 10:35 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Happy that Zucc is back!

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I think the real positive is they don't have to. If they aren't ready they can hit the A instead of being 4th liners/scratches because the only other options are Newbury and Ferriero. If they impress in camp and force a vet out, great.
Im torn on the subject. On one hand, I think its smart to hedge your bets.

On the other hand, after this approach failing for so long, I wish management would choose a direction and commit to it.

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Which means what? They still have to beat out the players in front of them. Those kids still have to come to camp and prove that they are ready to play in the NHL. If they are ready, space will be made for them.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Signing depth guys have little to do with faith in youth.
It has everything to do with it. You seem to be confused.

Old
Lundsanity30

I actually like our team once Stepan signs... We have 4 lines who are at least capable of scoring, a great defense, and the best goaltender in the world. Sure we can use some more punch I believe in scoring, but I feel we may be able to acquire that at the deadline with some chips we could use if we want to.

Old
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
They can say whatever they like, unless the kids play well enough to make it, they're not going to leave an opening for a rookie pick like a hockey pool draft. Which team isn't going to say they want youth?

Old
Vitto79

good cap hit too, now everyone can freaking relax

they have plenty for a Stepan signing.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Which means what? They still have to beat out the players in front of them. Those kids still have to come to camp and prove that they are ready to play in the NHL. If they are ready, space will be made for them.
The Rangers can't shut up telling people how they got Kristo. He is getting a long, long look. They Believe Miller is ready to take the next step. Marek Hvrivik would have been in training camp last year if he wasn't hurt.

Who are they "beating out" for a spot? Powe? Asham?

Old
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Why would Stepan sign that deal?
Players love to be a bargain from the get-go.