HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Idlerlee
Always play Richards

vCash: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers can assign Zuccarello to the AHL and take a $225,000 cap hit.
Looking at the numbers from his latest Rangers stint, which is the relevant one. Why on earth would they do that in favor of any rangers prospects ? Hell we don't even know for sure that Kreider will step up and be the 1st line messiah everyone got him down as

Old
07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im torn on the subject. On one hand, I think its smart to hedge your bets.

On the other hand, after this approach failing for so long, I wish management would choose a direction and commit to it.
I hear you point. I would say the thing they have going for them now is term.

Boyle, Pyatt, Pouliot, Powe, Moore, & Asham all have 1 year left. Squeeze everyone on this year. See who stands out with AV. See which kids step up. Then decide who to re-up moving forward. No more 3,4 year deals for bubble players.

RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

His value wasn't anything close to $2M. Brooks reported Zuccarello wanted $2M. Zuccarello denied it was that much and later said he felt his worth was $2M. Not in the NHL is he worth $2M. Some people here thought was he worth $2M or $1.7M. Zuccarello and Ryman were both quoted in articles where $1.7M-$2.3M were always mentioned as the award. So Zuccarello settled at $1.15M when he felt his worth was much higher?

Old
NickyFotiu

Way too much money. Too long a contract. He has only played 80 games. He is only 5-7. I guess I can live with it but I thought a 7 game tryout contract for $21,000 seemed fair for both sides. I guess we got taken because Sather gave up all the teams leverage.

Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Demote Johnson, Asham and Powe.

You can run with 13 forwards (with Stepan signed) and 7 D and have about 4.6 mil of space (with the bonus cushion) to sign Stepan.

The Rangers will very likely not run right against the cap though. You want some wiggle room for callups.

We finally look like we have some real depth, though.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek Stepan ($4.250m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Dominic Moore ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Justin Falk ($0.975m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
OTHER
Buried: Arron Asham ($0.075m)
Buried: Darroll Powe ($0.142m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,681,667; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $380,833

Old
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlerlee View Post
Looking at the numbers from his latest Rangers stint, which is the relevant one.
Relevant, and tiny.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Looking at the numbers from his latest Rangers stint, which is the relevant one. Why on earth would they do that in favor of any rangers prospects ? Hell we don't even know for sure that Kreider will step up and be the 1st line messiah everyone got him down as
I'm not marking down Kreider as anything.. We've already done that last year and well, for whatever reason..(coach, not ready, etc), that didn't work out.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
It has everything to do with it. You seem to be confused.
Depth is depth. You don't start a season counting on the youth to make it right out the gates and play a full season. That's what depth is. Also, injuries and flexibility. I can't imagine a team to just not sign any depth and see how that turns out.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
SKS

Quote:
Again, I am not bashing Zuccarello in any way. This contract was fair in comparison to his value and experience.

I think its ridiculous that "he wants to be a Ranger and loves NY!" is an excuse to give him a dime more than he deserves.
And to go back to original post. You claimed this was a reality check for Zucc. Never a question about what posters like I feel he deserved.

The fact that he loves being a Ranger may color my judgement, since I like those who play for my team, but it was not in question now. I simply tossed it out since this deal seems to enforce that view.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
He is 5-7.

He is from Norway.

He has fans.

He has a long name.

How many more reasons do I need to hate the guy?

Old
07-30-2013, 10:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
The Rangers can't shut up telling people how they got Kristo. He is getting a long, long look. They Believe Miller is ready to take the next step. Marek Hvrivik would have been in training camp last year if he wasn't hurt.

Who are they "beating out" for a spot? Powe? Asham?
For starters, yes. But who says that Dorsett is going to play every game? Or Pyatt?

Cally and Hags will likely be on IR to start the season. There will be opportunities for kids to play.

The point is, you don't just open a spot and expect that a kid is going to fill it. Kristo has played all of 9 games in the AHL. Miller may or may not be ready to take the next step. That's what training camp is for. Yes, Hrivik would have been in camp. Doesn't mean he would have made the team. Doesn't mean he'll make it this year.

If a kid is ready, space will be made. If a kid isn't ready, then we already have his replacement. What about that is confusing you?

Old
07-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Depth is depth. You don't start a season counting on the youth to make it right out the gates and play a full season. That's what depth is. Also, injuries and flexibility. I can't imagine a team to just not sign any depth and see how that turns out.
I think you missed the sarcasm.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Zuccarello is the most underrated, yet overrated guy on this team

Happy with this re-signing

Old
07-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I think you missed the sarcasm.
Well funny man, it's 8 am where you and I are located and I'm usually a 2PM guy.

MGMT must have offered less than a million then

Old
07-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
For starters, yes. But who says that Dorsett is going to play every game? Or Pyatt?

Cally and Hags will likely be on IR to start the season. There will be opportunities for kids to play.

The point is, you don't just open a spot and expect that a kid is going to fill it. Kristo has played all of 9 games in the AHL. Miller may or may not be ready to take the next step. That's what training camp is for. Yes, Hrivik would have been in camp. Doesn't mean he would have made the team. Doesn't mean he'll make it this year.

If a kid is ready, space will be made. If a kid isn't ready, then we already have his replacement. What about that is confusing you?
Nothing is confusing me. They believe these kids are ready, they have said as much. They are EXPECTING kids to make the team. Planning on it. What is confusing you? You said it yourself. "There will be opportunities for kids to play". You think they'd rather have Powe, Asham or Pyatt playing over a kid? Not at all. Boyle has been rumored to be available all summer. They'd gladly move out a bottom sixer to get a spot for a kid. They believe they are ready. Told AV as much. Expect it.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Lots of teams are going to be right up against the cap this season. I think we're in a very good position for next year.

Swayze makes a good point - who is to say the Rangers want to see who sticks in the bottom 6 for next year and going forward? Lots of expiring contracts.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:51 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Very fair deal for what he could bring to the table.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:56 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Nothing is confusing me. They believe these kids are ready, they have said as much. They are EXPECTING kids to make the team. Planning on it. What is confusing you? You said it yourself. "There will be opportunities for kids to play". You think they'd rather have Powe, Asham or Pyatt playing over a kid? Not at all. Boyle has been rumored to be available all summer. They'd gladly move out a bottom sixer to get a spot for a kid. They believe they are ready. Told AV as much. Expect it.
Expect what? At least 1 kid to make the team out of camp? I do. What I don't expect is us to trade players prior to camp to make more room for those kids. The only players we would want to trade, no one wants. If Boyle goes anywhere, I'd be very surprised. If they wanted to trade him, it's likely it would have happened already.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:57 AM
KenGuru

So Hagelin gets 2,250 and Zucc 1.150 US$ mill ?

I obviously dont know much about icehockey. Hagelin would never have gotten a
salary like that in Europe

But like I said before, NYR would get him cheap. He is not greedy

Last edited by KenGuru: 07-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old
07-30-2013, 10:58 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

****ing steal IMO

Old
07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
And to go back to original post. You claimed this was a reality check for Zucc. Never a question about what posters like I feel he deserved.

The fact that he loves being a Ranger may color my judgement, since I like those who play for my team, but it was not in question now. I simply tossed it out since this deal seems to enforce that view.
It is a financial reality check -- the reality that he'd never approach $2M per season based on his NHL accomplishments - or because he loves being a Ranger, or whatever else excuse this fan base can come up with to inflate his worth.

Old
Glennsoe
Horndog

He took one for the team and went for the lesser offer than he likely wanted - I can see both sides agreeing that this is a "put up or shut up" contract in which he either gets a better deal next year or he's done...

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGuru View Post
So Hagelin gets 2,250 and Zucc 1.150 US$ mill ?

I obviously dont know much about icehockey. Hagelin would never have gotten a
salary like that in Europe
Hagelin puts up just as many points, and contributes in other ways. He's better defensively, a better forechecker and a better skater. Hagelin is also more proven than Zucc.

What each player would have gotten in Europe isn't relevant. Would any European team have given Clowe or Clarkson as much as they got?

Old
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
****ing steal IMO
Will he be a UFA after this?

Old
07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Brian Boyle