HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Poll: Summer 2013 Results

View Poll Results: Where does the Rangers farm rank?
Top 10 teams 7 11.67%
Middle 10 teams 48 80.00%
Bottom 10 teams 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
  #26
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
BCHL a second-rate league? It's one of the best Junior A leagues out there next to the USHL. I did a quick look up of that Penticton team, twelve guys on that team either are now playing D-I or are committed to D-I schools.
Yes, it is by definition a second rate league. College and Canadian Juniors are first rate, BCHL and USHL are second rate. Pretty much every team in the BCHL/USHL is worse than every team in college and juniors. That only a couple kids from a super-loaded BCHL team are playing D1 hockey proves just that.

BCHL/USHL is where you play if you aren't good enough to play in the Canadian Juniors or college. An occasional player who wins up there by choice should dominate, even on a loaded team.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:39 AM
  #27
BLOCKERSAVE
Registered User
 
BLOCKERSAVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Yes, it is by definition a second rate league. College and Canadian Juniors are first rate, BCHL and USHL are second rate. Pretty much every team in the BCHL/USHL is worse than every team in college and juniors. That only a couple kids from a super-loaded BCHL team are playing D1 hockey proves just that.

BCHL/USHL is where you play if you aren't good enough to play in the Canadian Juniors or college. An occasional player who wins up there by choice should dominate, even on a loaded team.
BCHL/USHL has kids playing at the age of 16 - 18. D1 has 19 - 22 years old. Of course D1 is better, apples to oranges.

BLOCKERSAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
  #28
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKERSAVE View Post
BCHL/USHL has kids playing at the age of 16 - 18. D1 has 19 - 22 years old. Of course D1 is better, apples to oranges.

And that is why a good prospect at the age of 18 should dominate the BCHL.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 02:44 PM
  #29
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
And that is why a good prospect at the age of 18 should dominate the BCHL.
Beacon, I respect your opinion, but the fact that he is already well versed in the defensive side of the puck for such a young player is a very good sign. He doesn't have to set the world on fire even through his (4) years in college to be a NHL player. He will develop for another 2-3 years and continue to fill out and get more playing time. No rush, but I like him.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:45 PM
  #30
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,973
vCash: 50
Awards:
Tyler Bozak, during his age 18-19 season, had a less impressive offensive output than Fogarty. He was a late bloomer. Now he's a quality NHL player. If Fogarty does little developing offensively, he can still make it as a defensive specialist. It's crazy to write him off. As long as he continues to develop, he'll be okay. If the offense comes around this year, he's a real good prospect.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  #31
Lindberg Cheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He found himself in a spot where he had to adapt to a new role because the team had several veteran players ahead of him at center. He did just that. Yet instead of being lauded for his mental strength, ability to adapt, and vastly improved defensive play, he gets pegged as a guy who couldn't beat out scrubs and score more points in a 'second rate' league.

Like it or not, that team had a lot of offensive skill and Fogarty simply wasn't the most skilled center on the team. Instead of whining about it he showed the determination and commitment to improve his game and turn himself into a well-rounded player. All while still putting up decent numbers and anchoring a line with two guys (Benik and Gervais) who had little idea what the defensive zone even looked like.

I'm pleased with the development he's shown. The offense has always been the least of my concerns and I expect that will be proven with a larger role with Notre Dame this season. So far I've seen nothing in his game that would make me even consider the notion of him having stalled out in his development.
Fogarty has the shot of being that late bloomer guy who never was the best player on his team at any level but whose game translates well to the NHL. I think the ceiling for him is Rucchin which is not shabby.

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
  #32
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Tyler Bozak, during his age 18-19 season, had a less impressive offensive output than Fogarty. He was a late bloomer. Now he's a quality NHL player. If Fogarty does little developing offensively, he can still make it as a defensive specialist. It's crazy to write him off. As long as he continues to develop, he'll be okay. If the offense comes around this year, he's a real good prospect.

I agree that he still has good potential, but it is likely on the bottom-6, and he will need to show significant improvement next year. As a ,20/21 year old, he will need to show us something this year.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:13 AM
  #33
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I agree that he still has good potential, but it is likely on the bottom-6, and he will need to show significant improvement next year. As a ,20/21 year old, he will need to show us something this year.
With his size, face-off skills and defensive awareness, he could score 10 points every year in college and still have a shot at a NHL spot as a 4th line center.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 04:37 PM
  #34
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
With his size, face-off skills and defensive awareness, he could score 10 points every year in college and still have a shot at a NHL spot as a 4th line center.
A shot, because 4th liners can be of any ability and it doesn't kill you. The Rangers came close to keeping Matt Maccarone as a 4th line center and I was probably a better overall player than he was.

Danny Hobbs was great at everything you listed, scored in the 20's in points and is now in the ECHL.

It's tough to make the NHL if you don't score in college.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.