Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Storm Watching

vCash: 500
Can anyone give me some thoughts on Travis Barron? I saw him in Vaughn for the first time last month an thought he looked like one of the best players on the ice. First round potential or just a kid that had a good weekend.

No I'm not his dad or uncle or anything just an OHL fan looking for some feedback on the kid from people that have seen him some.

cheers

Old
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Likewise! I'm still trying to get over the fact we didn't get to see them against the Moscow Selects at the Holiday Classic.

Hopefully Pastujov, McKeeby, Jones don't opt to play Midget next season. All 3 should be very high picks if they make their intentions known about heading to the OHL.
I think Jones at least will be playing for Honeybaked Midget Major.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:59 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Likewise! I'm still trying to get over the fact we didn't get to see them against the Moscow Selects at the Holiday Classic.

Hopefully Pastujov, McKeeby, Jones don't opt to play Midget next season. All 3 should be very high picks if they make their intentions known about heading to the OHL.
Ya for sure, I was looking forward to that final. Ottawa had that upset win over Moscow in the semi's. Moscow was steam rolling everyone until then. Whitby Silversticks is always great, but might be stellar this year. As long as the core for the Marlboros, JRC and Honeybaked stay together, it will make for some incredible hockey. It will be interesting to see if anything has changed in the last year. No one could touch Honeybaked after a few early season losses. One of them was to JRC or Marlboros but neither could touch them at Marlies Classic Bantam Tourney or Silver Sticks Port Huron last year.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Watching View Post
Can anyone give me some thoughts on Travis Barron? I saw him in Vaughn for the first time last month an thought he looked like one of the best players on the ice. First round potential or just a kid that had a good weekend.

No I'm not his dad or uncle or anything just an OHL fan looking for some feedback on the kid from people that have seen him some.

cheers
I have been praising this kid for a year now.

Kid likes to hit, fight (from what I hear), can score and skate. Kid is the real package.

He played up a few times last year, and was by far the best player on the ice.

He will be the best prospect to come out of that JRC team. Mete is the ultimate skater, but his size will affect him. Just as with Mascherin.

Barron should be a top 5 pick next year, and in time will be a nasty NHLer. I compare him to a Brendan Shanahan, but with better skating and stickhandling.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Remax

Any news on Golden Horseshoe prospects besides Yochim?

Last edited by Remax: 08-23-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think Jones at least will be playing for Honeybaked Midget Major.
He will be. It sucks for guys like me because it means separate trips down south, but its obviously whats best for the player. He was one of the top performers on Compuware U16 last year. Well see what his intentions are, but he has the talent to be a top 20 guy next year.

If Honeybaked comes to Whitby SilverSticks, then don't be shocked if he comes in to replace one a 97 born player who may be on the U16 team.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:30 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I have been praising this kid for a year now.

Kid likes to hit, fight (from what I hear), can score and skate. Kid is the real package.

He played up a few times last year, and was by far the best player on the ice.

He will be the best prospect to come out of that JRC team. Mete is the ultimate skater, but his size will affect him. Just as with Mascherin.

Barron should be a top 5 pick next year, and in time will be a nasty NHLer. I compare him to a Brendan Shanahan, but with better skating and stickhandling.
He was a player I struggled to get a read on sometimes last year (luck we have 9 more months ). Interested to see him next year, word had it last month that he moved to Vaughan with Adam Mascherin for next year.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax View Post
I know that Saigeon is highly rated but I remember seeing him in the 2012 finals (minor bantam) and 2013 finals (major bantam) and he fell asleep and was almost nonexistent for a few games each year. He had great regular season but just didn't seem to be the same come crunch time. What is it that has him highly rated? It is his size cuz I know he is quite big for his age.
He was playing a year up, the fact that he even had an impact was pretty impressive. Its the age old rule in scouting, look at the tools and add as many 'data points' as possible. If a kid looks bad in two games but looks great in eight, then odds are the eight speak more to his potential. You do hope a player 'steps up' per say, but Ive seen way to many successful players have a bad week or two (ie OHL Cup).

Quote:
Reid Yochim defense for Southern Tier Admirals, this kid has all of the tools, he has good size, is strong in his own end and had a ton of offensive upside, I really think he has it all.

Matthew Dolan center for Niagara Rivermen, he is a bit on the small size but has all the skill and hockey IQ in the world. I remember seeing him come into the AAA circuit in minor bantam, he stepped right in as the 2nd center for Southern Tier and I believe he was top 3 in scoring that year that they won the championship and he was unreal in the faceoff circle. The next year he moved to the Rivermen (I'm not sure why) and became their #1 center and captain, led them in every category and played in every situation on one of the worst if not the worst team in the league. I also saw him at a few summer tournaments in Toronto and he often looked like the most complete player on the ice, playing at both ends, cycling the puck like a pro and dishing cross crease pass after cross crease pass right on the tape of his teammates. He also likes to play a physical game and works extremely well off the boards.

Finally I'm not sure of his name but the goaltender for the Buffalo Regals for the 2012-13 major bantam season. That kid was as solid as they come, I would rate him right up there with Zachary Moore of the Niagara North Stars. He has decent size, plays angles very well and is good on the puck to help out his defense.

Anyone watching any of these kids?
Everyone watches every player. OHL clubs have multiple scouts in every region and overlapping guys who are in very corner of Ontario. Next year at the TheScout.ca we should be lucky enough to have two guys watching every loop. If they have the ability, they will be noticed, shouldn't matter where they play.

With regards to the goaltender, that sounds like Tyler Johnson. Rumor had it he was looking to play in Ontario next year, at least that was the case 2-3 months ago. Hes one of the better goaltending options heading into the season.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
mapleleaf979

Keep your eye on defenseman Elijah Morris. Looked solid and competed hard for the Don Mills 97 group when he was called up. Also Fedor Radukov played up all season and looked solid as a bantam age. Lafontaine I think will continue to turn heads, could be the #1 goalie from Ontario.

On the Marlies watch for Kyle Maksimovich, Joseph Mizzi and Jeremy Smith. Obviously Mcleod. From a grit standpoint, Will Hunter looks for blood and intimidates his opponents.

On JRC there are a few guys mentioned already. I also like David Sherman.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:13 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

Reid Yochim defense for Southern Tier Admirals, this kid has all of the tools, he has good size, is strong in his own end and had a ton of offensive upside, I really think he has it all.
I agree with you, Yochim is someone to watch this year. Also Nicholas Prestia his team-mate will garner alot of interest for Top 20 pick. He is big and his power game is taylor made for the OHL and would contribute immediately. I like the goalie on STA, Zach Moore. I think he will garner alot of interest as well.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:36 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Finally I'm not sure of his name but the goaltender for the Buffalo Regals for the 2012-13 major bantam season. That kid was as solid as they come, I would rate him right up there with Zachary Moore of the Niagara North Stars. He has decent size, plays angles very well and is good on the puck to help out his defense.

Anyone watching any of these kids?
I believe he has switched to Southern Tier this year?

Last year at the 2012-13 Toronto Red Wings Early Bird, Niagara upset the Marlboros in the quarter finals in a shootout. Zach Moore was the main reason why in my opinion. It was a big deal to beat the 98 Marlboros. The 98 Marlboros won 72 straight games the previous year, in minor bantam. In the previous 3 previous years, they only lost to 3 teams- JRC, Little Ceasers and Hamilton jr Bulldogs.

Old
06-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Remax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Everyone watches every player. OHL clubs have multiple scouts in every region and overlapping guys who are in very corner of Ontario. Next year at the TheScout.ca we should be lucky enough to have two guys watching every loop. If they have the ability, they will be noticed, shouldn't matter where they play.
Thanks, I wasn't sure how many games were scouted or if it was just certain players, I'd really be interested to know if some of those guys such as Dolan shows well. He has looked phenomenal since coming to AAA a few years back and has been one that really caught my eye and I've kind of tried to follow. I saw him play last weekend in a tournament in Niagara Falls and he seems to have grown a few inches so hopefully that will keep going and he'll keep progressing. Please post if you hear anything on him

Quote:
With regards to the goaltender, that sounds like Tyler Johnson. Rumor had it he was looking to play in Ontario next year, at least that was the case 2-3 months ago. Hes one of the better goaltending options heading into the season.

Thats it, I know he had a pretty common last name. I heard that he was signing with Niagara Falls Rivermen as I believe his mother lives in Niagara Falls Ontario (just what I heard) and they are one of the few times in the area to have still apparently not signed any goalies yet.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:51 PM
P S Reports

Zachary Moore is likely the top goaltender in Ontario.

Old
06-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
He was a player I struggled to get a read on sometimes last year (luck we have 9 more months ). Interested to see him next year, word had it last month that he moved to Vaughan with Adam Mascherin for next year.
Barron is staying with the JrC.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:09 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Barron is staying with the JrC.
Thanks for the heads up, it's always interesting to see what players move where. Other moves that I've been told of are Don Mills picking up Marlboros defender Jeremy Smith and the Marlboros signed Nick Sicoly.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, it's always interesting to see what players move where. Other moves that I've been told of are Don Mills picking up Marlboros defender Jeremy Smith and the Marlboros signed Nick Sicoly.
Correct on both accounts. 3 Marlies went to Don Mills, Smith, Commisso and Ferraro.
Maescherin and Candella went to the Vaughan Kings.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:13 PM
burtA

This site looks like it has some OHL draft info: http://www.ohldraft.net

Old
07-07-2013, 06:42 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Correct on both accounts. 3 Marlies went to Don Mills, Smith, Commisso and Ferraro.
Maescherin and Candella went to the Vaughan Kings.
With those transactions the suspense has been removed from the GTHL. JRC was the only team that could challenge the 98 Marlboro team. Mascherin and Candella are future first round OHL picks. They will miss Smith but adding Nic Sicoly(probably a mid to late first round pick) just makes the Marlboros deeper. I think the Marlboros are going to steam roll teams and win everything, except Silver Sticks if Detroit Honeybaked are there. I hope Honeybaked is there this year, what a fantastic team. Im not 100% sold on the dcore and goaltending of the Marlboros so that can leave the door open for some suspense until u can get a read on them.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
ohlman55

Are there any Mississauga Rebels to look for this year?

Old
08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
epsomsalts

Rebels lost most of their best players from 2012-13.

Old
08-09-2013, 06:46 PM
chewerjones

Anybody have a current list of top 10 rankings for Ontario MM teams.

Old
08-11-2013, 02:46 PM
mapleleaf979

3 potential Top 10 picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Griffin Luce, big smooth skating defenseman out of Elgin-Middlesex is one to watch for sure. He played up with the '97 this season as well.
Griffin Luce impressed me the most in the All-State game yesterday. Appears to be the best shut down defenseman in the 98 group. His mind is locked in on defense, all the little things he does. A willing shot blocker, protects the house like he owns it, always hanging back to protect the breakaway, head on a swivel looking for players that are trying to get into a scoring position. He reminds me of Jake Middleton but Luce has better feet. Great prospect, Top 10 pick in 2014 OHL draft.

Adam Mascherin also impressed me yesterday. He reminds me of Dante Salituro in many ways. Mascherin has an excellent accurate wrist shot, with an excellent release. He plays well with his line-mates and has playmaking skills. Mikey Mcleod yesterday played too much like an individual and when he got the puck just tried to force things to much on his own and resulted in turnovers. Both are Top 10 picks in my eyes.

Old
08-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post

Adam Mascherin also impressed me yesterday. He reminds me of Dante Salituro in many ways. Mascherin has an excellent accurate wrist shot, with an excellent release. He plays well with his line-mates and has playmaking skills. Mikey Mcleod yesterday played too much like an individual and when he got the puck just tried to force things to much on his own and resulted in turnovers. Both are Top 10 picks in my eyes.
I completely agree. I love that wide powerful stride of his, and his hockey IQ and shot are just amazing. I remember the first time I saw him was up with the '97 JRC's against Compuware at the Silverstick last year, and next to Day, he was the most impressive player on the ice, while netting two goals. I had no idea he was a '98 until one of you on here told me he was. Looked head-and-shoulders better than Benson to me. Should have had 3 or 4 points yesterday, but his line-mates couldn't convert.

McLeod really tried to force things all game. It was as if he had no line-mates at all yesterday. Great talent, but he has to learn that less is often more when it comes to his overall game.

Old
08-11-2013, 08:31 PM
chewerjones

Saw only portions of the game, but it seemed like Campoli and Ang stood out to me.

Luce played solid, and Mcleod did try and force things. He seems to be consensus #1 now, and should be able to keep that ranking for the rest of year. Maybe OHL will be a larger step for him, like another former Marlie- Ho Sang.

Benson didn't impress me at all. Mascherin impressed me a lot, but his size may be a problem, but if he can turn out like Skinner, then he will have a chance.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I completely agree. I love that wide powerful stride of his, and his hockey IQ and shot are just amazing. I remember the first time I saw him was up with the '97 JRC's against Compuware at the Silverstick last year, and next to Day, he was the most impressive player on the ice, while netting two goals. I had no idea he was a '98 until one of you on here told me he was. Looked head-and-shoulders better than Benson to me. Should have had 3 or 4 points yesterday, but his line-mates couldn't convert.

McLeod really tried to force things all game. It was as if he had no line-mates at all yesterday. Great talent, but he has to learn that less is often more when it comes to his overall game.
Mascherin is very noticable throughout a game. Like u mention, he is strong on his skates. A Salituro/Domi quality. Mascherin goes after it. Even playing up with JRC this year, he was there best player when I watched. He attacks, he is ambitious. U mention his IQ...I notice after he lets a few shots go and he scores usually, that defenders come up on him, he than adjusts and either makes a move or dishes the puck. A nice little mix of unpredictability to his game, making him more dangerous.

Closed Thread