HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WPG] Jets re-sign Zach Bogosian (7 years, $5.14M per)

Old
07-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
To me, Winnipeg is hoping Bogosian evolves into something similar to Shea Weber-which is a possibility IMO. Huge, mean, good skater, and solid offensive ability.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
That's plenty of cash to dish out on your third string D. Hopefully he will be worth it in a while because right now, he really isnt.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Peter Tagli Eddie
All 3 of them?

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm not nuts. I'm being pretty realistic. McDonagh is pretty easily the better skater. I'm not knocking Bogo. It's just that McDonagh is an elite skater in this league. He always has been. It's pretty universally held that he's one of the best skating defensemen in this entire league. I think Bogo is a very, very good skater. Better than the rest of our defense in that regard for sure. Just not at McDonagh's level.
Quite simply.... we disagree about this topic.

Peter Tagli Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
That's plenty of cash to dish out on your third string D. Hopefully he will be worth it in a while because right now, he really isnt.
Third string D?

He's been our number two defenseman all year. He was second in TOI behind Byfuglien. There's also a good chance he gets the push as the number one d-man this year.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Problem is that this core is not Stanley Cup level. Lengthy contracts of that magnitude should be given only to prime players (top 30 D or top 30 F) which none of these guys fit in.

The Jets are creating inflation with their latest contracts.
Strongly disagree.

It's the GM's job to identify the core, and build around that. Chevy must feel like Bogo is part of the core, and he acted accordginly. Guys who are in the core are going to get paid over term. Pavelski just got locked up for 5 years @ $6M per, and he's part of SJ's core.

I think the longer contract terms are an offshoot of the younger UFA age. Bogo was going to be a UFA at 25 YO, so he's got he leverage to demand a long term deal, because the Jet's couldn't afford to lose him as a UFA. Pretty simple to see the dynamics of that conversation are much different than in the past when a player is UFA eligible at 25. (Same thing to a lesser extent with Gagner for people crying about him making $4.8M per).

Term is all a gamble. Long term reduces or increases risk (depending if you look at it from the team or players perspective) based on the player's ability to perform or outperform the contract. MON gambled with Subban, and Subban accepted the risk with a short term bridge deal, but MON accepted the risk that PK would way out-perform the deal and be able to REALLY cash in on his next deal.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:56 AM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Third string D?

He's been our number two defenseman all year. He was second in TOI behind Byfuglien. There's also a good chance he gets the push as the number one d-man this year.
Yeah he's clearly a step behind a healthy Enstrom and Big Buff. He's not as good as they are. Simple as that. Unless he takes a big leap forward compared to last season he's not going to be your #1 D.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah he's clearly a step behind a healthy Enstrom and Big Buff. He's not as good as they are. Simple as that. Unless he takes a big leap forward compared to last season he's not going to be your #1 D.
He's as good or better than them. Plays tougher minutes. I know I would rather have Bogo on the ice when were up a goal with a minute to go.

aqsw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
XO

vCash: 180
Pretty fair deal I'd say. Maybe a tad overpaid for the moment, but he won't be for long.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Fire Shero*

Damn Winnipeg is throwing some big dollars and terms around this summer. They are locking up core players of a team that can't make the playoffs; these aren't star players to build a team around IMO. They are solid players but come on.

If Chevys goal is to create a fringe playoff team, mission accomplished.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Offensively you are correct, as those guys get the #1 PP time, but Bogo is MUCH better than Buff defensively, and plays a much more physical game than Enstrom. I would bet that across the league Bogo is valued higher than DB or TE.

IMO - Bogo plays a complete game and has the potential to become a dominant traditional #1 d-man, something that Enstrom or Buff just don't have.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:10 AM
TOML

Player win.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Snotbubbles

For the new CBA this is an ok deal, IMO if Bogosian develops into what people think he will become. My biggest problem with it is that Bogosian seems to miss time every year and that is concerning over a 7 year period. I think it would have been smarter to go a bit shorter with the term.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:13 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
This will probably determine what contract Cowen gets, at least his agent will try to.
Lol.. how is Jared Cowen a good comparable in any way..?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:18 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
It appears you have no education on this topic.
Bogosian is easily the Jets #3 d man.

Arguements can be made for him as the #2 or even #1.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:20 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
For the new CBA this is an ok deal, IMO if Bogosian develops into what people think he will become. My biggest problem with it is that Bogosian seems to miss time every year and that is concerning over a 7 year period. I think it would have been smarter to go a bit shorter with the term.
Chronic wrist injury that was plaguing him from his Junior days. Surgery corrected the issue last summer during the lockout. Should be good to go now, based on his play when he returned during the shortened season.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:25 AM
cneely

Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find any Jets fan that values Buff or Enstrom higher than Bogosian. Not only for his potential, but also for his current play.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:27 AM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
It appears you have no education on this topic.
Bogosian is easily the Jets #3 d man.

Arguements can be made for him as the #2 or even #1.
Just like I said, he's their third best D-man. And like I said in a later post if he's going to be the #1 for the Jets he's got ways to go. So we're not exactly disagreeing with anything. So it appears you have no education on the topic either.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Just like I said, he's their third best D-man. And like I said in a later post if he's going to be the #1 for the Jets he's got ways to go. So we're not exactly disagreeing with anything. So it appears you have no education on the topic either.
It's not like you said though.

From a defensive/physical perspective, IMO Bogo is the best d-man on the team. Offensively, he might be the #3. Your comment makes it sound like you believe that Mike Green is a better defenseman than Zdeno Chara because MG scores more points.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Player win.
TOML - do you understand that no matter what Bogo gets paid - the NHLPA members as a whole are going to make 50% of HRR? There is literally NO impact to how much the NHLPA members are going to get paid in total?

If you are correct, and Bogo is overpaid, the only impact is that the Jets now have less $'s available to ice a competitive team.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
It's not like you said though.

From a defensive/physical perspective, IMO Bogo is the best d-man on the team. Offensively, he might be the #3. Your comment makes it sound like you believe that Mike Green is a better defenseman than Zdeno Chara because MG scores more points.
Bingo. Offensively, yes, Bogosian is indeed behind Enstrom and Byfuglien, though still good for 30-40 points over a full season. Defensively, Bogosian is the #1 used guy in regards to the toughest match-ups, etc.

The Jets are fortunate to have 3 pretty legit top pairing defenceman. Now they just have to stay healthy so the team can reap the benefits of it (hopefully) on the ice.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:40 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Bingo. Offensively, yes, Bogosian is indeed behind Enstrom and Byfuglien, though still good for 30-40 points over a full season. Defensively, Bogosian is the #1 used guy in regards to the toughest match-ups, etc.

The Jets are fortunate to have 3 pretty legit top pairing defenceman. Now they just have to stay healthy so the team can reap the benefits of it (hopefully) on the ice.
But I'd be curious to see what his total could be if Byfuglien is moved out.

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
But I'd be curious to see what his total could be if Byfuglien is moved out.
I think many feel the same as you, I know I do. Bogosian has a cannon for a shot, and his passing at the blueline is tape to tape accurate and HARD. Though his shot is not always on target (but better than he used to be when he broke into the league).

I too often wonder what his offensive totals could be if he was given some more of those key offensive minutes such as the PP. We *may* see that this year. As we closed in on the end of last season Noel began using Byfuglien a little different. It became apparent with Byfuglien that "less may be more" in terms of ice time and what he could bring to the table with that ice time. Now, with recent word from Wheeler and photos surfacing and Buff appearing to be in very good shape, he may again continue with those big minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Bogosian take some of Byfuglien's minutes away, even just a bit to ease the load and share the wealth. With that being said, Noel likes to use Enstrom - Byfuglien in the offensive situations, while he relies heavily on Bogosian for defensive situations and match-ups, so we'll see.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Just to mediate a bit, I believe some people construed your usage of 'third string' to mean 'third pairing'.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
Damn Winnipeg is throwing some big dollars and terms around this summer. They are locking up core players of a team that can't make the playoffs; these aren't star players to build a team around IMO. They are solid players but come on.

If Chevys goal is to create a fringe playoff team, mission accomplished.
disagree

Bogosian has a chance to be a legit top-pairing defenseman
Evander Kane is a power forward has can score 40 goals one day
Ladd is a great winger...legit 1st liner with grit and skill and leadership

Little and Wheeler are puzzling cause the term is so long but Little can be a great #2 center and Wheeler has put up 60 points the last full season

with Trouba, Scheifele on the way, they look like an up and coming team for sure

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
disagree

Bogosian has a chance to be a legit top-pairing defenseman
Evander Kane is a power forward has can score 40 goals one day
Ladd is a great winger...legit 1st liner with grit and skill and leadership

Little and Wheeler are puzzling cause the term is so long but Little can be a great #2 center and Wheeler has put up 60 points the last full season

with Trouba, Scheifele on the way, they look like an up and coming team for sure
Exactly. I don't want to sit here and compare them eye-to-eye to the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins model in 2011, but there aren't exactly a plethora of "stars" engraved on Lord Stanley from that group.

You don't need flashy offensive stars to win in this league, quality depth can and has proven to prevail. Winnipeg's building model has young (headed into their prime) quality players here who could be classified in the same wavelength as the Bruins model employed in 2011. Ladd, Kane, Wheeler, Little, Scheifele could all be "stars" just as Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci, Horton, Marchand, etc were while leading the way for Boston.

Again, I am not comparing the Jets to the 2011 Bruins, they're in a class of their own as Stanley Cup champions and deservedly so, but the model in which brought Boston success is a model I view Winnipeg striving for as it seems pretty comparable all things considered, especially if highly touted prospects in Scheifele and Trouba can make way within the year or two.

Don't get me wrong, this Jets core among the other players Kevin Cheveldayoff adds along the way here have a TON to prove. But as a fan if I can draw any sort of comparison for hope, that's it, for me personally. Maybe it never works out, chances are it won't given how difficult it is to win Lord Stanley. But hey, in the next 3-6 years we're going to find out.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-30-2013 at 12:21 PM.