HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not really her fault, blame her boss who decided to use her in a time slot that she isn't ready for.
But it's not a "development" path to be the Traffic person on the Team, you're either good enough or your not. Because there's no position to "move up to", you're just the traffic person until you want a different gig.

So yes, it's on the people who hired her, but she lacks to the professionalism to understand that her daily "work" is sub-par. She needs to be let go or trained by someone who can actually show her what professionalism is.

The Kathleen, I think that was her name, before Taylor Galvin was professional and good, that's the standard. You have to either achieve it or get out.

Getting into a Radio Market the size of Edmonton is like being in the NHL in Radio terms. It's not a "developemental" place, you're good enough, or you're out.

Edit: When I say lack of professionalism, I don't Just mean her read and tone, it's also being unprepared for her breaks and out right missing MANY of her cut-ins. You have ONE Job, do it properly.

Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 07-30-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old
07-30-2013, 09:35 AM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Jake Daniels was a cad who thought goofing off instead of being informed about and talking about, you know................sports, was entertaining.

It wasnt. It was painful. Jake Daniels was also a seasoned vet. No excuses there. He didnt even make an effort. **** him.
Lucky for me, you weren't nearly this rough on ol' Jake when you thought I was him.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Few thoughts:

Living in Australia now, I listen to only podcasts now which are quite handy when driving to and from work, or anywhere else that takes 15+ minutes.
Before moving to Australia 5 years ago, Jason Gregor was by far my favorite radio guy.
A couple years passed before I realized that the Edmonton shows were on podcast, and I made the switch to Bob Stuffer's Oilers Now.
I had to make the switch because the radio ads from Gregors show were way too long and frequent to enjoy the 15-30 minute drives. CHED cuts out their ads and I find that very convenient. I still love listening to Stauffer though as I love the hints he drops for upcoming moves, and his guests are quality. HOWEVER, when he's away and Reid Wilkens steps in, I listen to Tencer instead. I can't stand Wilkens. I'm not Tencer fan, but he's. decent backup option if I've listened to all of the Oilers Now podcasts for that day.
Basically if 1260 can edit out the radio ads if be happy to get back onto Gregor and give Strudwick a shot (have heard really good things about him even though his voice sort of annoys me)
I always download Stauffer's podcast for when I run. I thought about looking for Gregor's podcast in case I happen to catch Stauffer's show during the day. But if he doesn't rip out his commercials then no thanks.

I try to listen to Gregor on the drive home and usually do most days but I have to say he does lay on the commercials. I can get in the car and get half way home (10 mins of driving) and not hear Gregor's voice.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Few key tidbits from the article. So I'd assume if Sportsnet is coming to Edmonton that Spec won't be on 1260 doing his show.

We really going to end up with 3 stations battling each other?
I fully expect we'll see TEAM 1260 re-branded as TSN 1260 in the not-too-distant future now that Bell Media has bought in.

. . . Don't be surprised if SPORTSNET becomes a player on the local radio airwaves as well. Word is, they're after an AM property (maybe CKUA) to compete with TSN.

. . . 630 CHED is the rights holder for Oiler broadcasts for the upcoming season and then the deal is up for renewal. Both TSN (1260) and SPORTSNET, if they draw in, will contest those rights.
Normally it would sound exciting but I'm really loving the Edmonton radio scene now. There's a holy crap ton of hockey talk and that's what I listen to.

So many good shows I'd hate to lose any of them.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Normally it would sound exciting but I'm really loving the Edmonton radio scene now. There's a holy crap ton of hockey talk and that's what I listen to.

So many good shows I'd hate to lose any of them.
I can't stand listening all day. Same talk, same guests for the most part.

Like watching the same Seinfeld episodes over and over.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Few key tidbits from the article. So I'd assume if Sportsnet is coming to Edmonton that Spec won't be on 1260 doing his show.

I fully expect we'll see TEAM 1260 re-branded as TSN 1260 in the not-too-distant future now that Bell Media has bought in.

. . . Don't be surprised if SPORTSNET becomes a player on the local radio airwaves as well. Word is, they're after an AM property (maybe CKUA) to compete with TSN.

. . . 630 CHED is the rights holder for Oiler broadcasts for the upcoming season and then the deal is up for renewal. Both TSN (1260) and SPORTSNET, if they draw in, will contest those rights.
I don't see how Team/TSN 1260 or Sportsnet could take the radio rights from CHED unless they give the Oilers a really sweet TV deal. CHED has a huge range. I had no problem listening to Stauffer (except for the fact it was Stauffer) on the weekend when I was stuck on the Deerfoot in Calgary. 1260 cuts out what like 45 minutes outside of Edmonton? The Oilers will likely use the other two stations as leverage in negotiations and go with CHED because there are a lot of fans who live hours outside of the city and still come to the games.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I don't see how Team/TSN 1260 or Sportsnet could take the radio rights from CHED unless they give the Oilers a really sweet TV deal. CHED has a huge range. I had no problem listening to Stauffer (except for the fact it was Stauffer) on the weekend when I was stuck on the Deerfoot in Calgary. 1260 cuts out what like 45 minutes outside of Edmonton? The Oilers will likely use the other two stations as leverage in negotiations and go with CHED because there are a lot of fans who live hours outside of the city and still come to the games.
I had 1260 10 minutes out of Lac La Biche when I went ice fishing this year.

Old
07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
I had 1260 10 minutes out of Lac La Biche when I went ice fishing this year.
That's not bad. It's usually pretty fuzzy for me before I get to Barrhead. I've used different vehicles too so I know it's not just my car.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:00 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:

I really hope not, CKUA is way too good and has was too storied of a past to make room for another sports radio station.

Can't they get a new frequency, or are we at the limit or what? I really have no idea how that works, especially in respect to distances required before you can re-transmit on the same frequency etc.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:03 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Completely bizarre, but I pick up 1260 clearer in Kelowna and area (at night) than I ever did in the Lloydminster/Cold lake areas. At night in Alberta it would barely be listenable, here it's almost perfect.

Fan 960 has better reception in much of Northern Alberta than Team 1260, which is something they really need to work on imo.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
That's not bad. It's usually pretty fuzzy for me before I get to Barrhead. I've used different vehicles too so I know it's not just my car.
I don't go that way, I go through Smokey lake.

Old
07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Completely bizarre, but I pick up 1260 clearer in Kelowna and area (at night) than I ever did in the Lloydminster/Cold lake areas. At night in Alberta it would barely be listenable, here it's almost perfect.

Fan 960 has better reception in much of Northern Alberta than Team 1260, which is something they really need to work on imo.
Now that there might be some more competition maybe they make it better?

Must be some sort of way to rig crap up to work with the Bell cell phone towers? Or is that something that is coming in 2020?

Old
07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Jason Gregor with "Bronte" is pretty hilarious stuff, especially when it isn't about hockey and taking shots at each other.

Love Struds, when he's reliving stories on the air about his playing days, classic stuff. Especially when he's talking to guests that used to play against and with him. Love the stories. Best one was when he was ripping into Moore about being a teachers pet ****** bag.
The Shanny interview about their fight was also comedic.

Having said this, I cannot stand Spector. I flip to 630 CHED with Stauffer during the lunch hour.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Few thoughts:

Living in Australia now, I listen to only podcasts now which are quite handy when driving to and from work, or anywhere else that takes 15+ minutes.
Before moving to Australia 5 years ago, Jason Gregor was by far my favorite radio guy.
A couple years passed before I realized that the Edmonton shows were on podcast, and I made the switch to Bob Stuffer's Oilers Now.
I had to make the switch because the radio ads from Gregors show were way too long and frequent to enjoy the 15-30 minute drives. CHED cuts out their ads and I find that very convenient. I still love listening to Stauffer though as I love the hints he drops for upcoming moves, and his guests are quality. HOWEVER, when he's away and Reid Wilkens steps in, I listen to Tencer instead. I can't stand Wilkens. I'm not Tencer fan, but he's. decent backup option if I've listened to all of the Oilers Now podcasts for that day.
Basically if 1260 can edit out the radio ads if be happy to get back onto Gregor and give Strudwick a shot (have heard really good things about him even though his voice sort of annoys me)
Funny that you should mention Strudwick's voice, as it's something that's bugged me in the past as well. I listened to him for the first time in a while the other day, and it actually took me several seconds before I recognized it was him. For lack of a better term, his voice sounds a lot more polished now. Huge improvement.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:13 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
But it's not a "development" path to be the Traffic person on the Team, you're either good enough or your not. Because there's no position to "move up to", you're just the traffic person until you want a different gig.

So yes, it's on the people who hired her, but she lacks to the professionalism to understand that her daily "work" is sub-par. She needs to be let go or trained by someone who can actually show her what professionalism is.

The Kathleen, I think that was her name, before Taylor Galvin was professional and good, that's the standard. You have to either achieve it or get out.

Getting into a Radio Market the size of Edmonton is like being in the NHL in Radio terms. It's not a "developemental" place, you're good enough, or you're out.

Edit: When I say lack of professionalism, I don't Just mean her read and tone, it's also being unprepared for her breaks and out right missing MANY of her cut-ins. You have ONE Job, do it properly.
I used to work behind the scenes here in vancouver on the Fox and Jackfm and I can tell you that most old school programmers have no talent start off by doing weather or traffic to get a feel to be on the air. You would be surprised how many of the graduates from uni freeze doing stuff like that.

edmonton is still considered a developmental market for larger markets. In the Vancouver and Toronto scene Edmonton and Calgary are both running jokes because so many broadcasters who failed elsewhere always end up back in those two places.

for years ITV sports was a the breading ground for on air talent for other networks like TSN, but over the last ten years, other markets have stopped looking to Edmonton and Calgary because the talent usual have bigger egos then they should and could not cut it in the larger markets

Old
07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post

edmonton is still considered a developmental market for larger markets.
I don't think it's rocket science to think the smaller city is development for larger city.
Bigger audience.. bigger pay.

Vancouver would be a developmental market for Toronto too.

Old
07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
hawks889

Theres way too much of the same programming on 1260. I know it's oil country but in July to hear 6 hours straight of how the oilers 4th line needs improvement. Some of the local hosts have no knowledge of anything besides oilers. Few weeks ago Dan tencer had no idea that former laker metta world peace was the former Ron artest. Guess his show should have been called inside oilers not inside sports.

Old
07-30-2013, 06:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks889 View Post
Theres way too much of the same programming on 1260. I know it's oil country but in July to hear 6 hours straight of how the oilers 4th line needs improvement. Some of the local hosts have no knowledge of anything besides oilers. Few weeks ago Dan tencer had no idea that former laker metta world peace was the former Ron artest. Guess his show should have been called inside oilers not inside sports.
In all fairness who knows who Ron Artest really is on any given day

Old
07-30-2013, 06:14 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:

Your Kelowna experience is because of atmospheric changes in the ionosphere that happen at night allowing signals to travel much farther.
Many stations in Canada (including CHED) are mandated by the CRTC to cut their signal strength just before nightfall due to this phenomena. Thats why (if you are far enough away from the transmitting tower) you can be listening to a hockey game in your car and at around sunset the signal becomes weaker and the game may sound much more fuzzy.

In any event I believe 50 kW is still the max broadcast power for any AM station in Canada.
Also (IIRC from my Telecommunications studies) the lower the frequency...the longer the radio wave. So the lower the station is on the AM band the longer the signal will carry.

So if both 630 CHED and 1260 are running 50kW (max) transmissions (which I believe they are) then CHED's range will always be far superior to that of the TEAM1260.

Back before the mid 90's the Oiler games were carried by CFRN1260 and I could never hope to hear the broadcast in my car in Southern Alberta. I was elated when 630CHED got the broadcast rights because that allowed me to hear Oiler info pretty much anywhere in Southern Alberta. The broadcast range for CHED is just so much more superior.

If 1260 does become TSN radio and they do get the broadcast rights for Oiler games it will be a sad day for many rural (and Southern Alberta) Oiler fans as 90% of the provincial coverage will be gone (Streaming audio aside) unless they employ satellite stations around the province which is pretty unlikely.

Last edited by guymez: 07-30-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old
07-30-2013, 07:37 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Your Kelowna experience is because of atmospheric changes in the ionosphere that happen at night allowing signals to travel much farther.
Many stations in Canada (including CHED) are mandated by the CRTC to cut their signal strength just before nightfall due to this phenomena. Thats why (if you are far enough away from the transmitting tower) you can be listening to a hockey game in your car and at around sunset the signal becomes weaker and the game may sound much more fuzzy.

In any event I believe 50 kW is still the max broadcast power for any AM station in Canada.
Also (IIRC from my Telecommunications studies) the lower the frequency...the longer the radio wave. So the lower the station is on the AM band the longer the signal will carry.

So if both 630 CHED and 1260 are running 50kW (max) transmissions (which I believe they are) then CHED's range will always be far superior to that of the TEAM1260.

Back before the mid 90's the Oiler games were carried by CFRN1260 and I could never hope to hear the broadcast in my car in Southern Alberta. I was elated when 630CHED got the broadcast rights because that allowed me to hear Oiler info pretty much anywhere in Southern Alberta. The broadcast range for CHED is just so much more superior.

If 1260 does become TSN radio and they do get the broadcast rights for Oiler games it will be a sad day for many rural (and Southern Alberta) Oiler fans as 90% of the provincial coverage will be gone (Streaming audio aside) unless they employ satellite stations around the province which is pretty unlikely.
Thanks for the great post.

This makes sense, as I've noticed that 630 ched and 580 ckua were two of the best for reception all over Alberta, and they are two of the lowest frequencies.

I don't pick up ched at night in Kelowna, I suppose it's just blind luck which stations you get at night? As I said before 1260 didn't come in at night in Alberta and 15 hours away it's clear as a bell for the most part.

I do recall getting stations from as far as Hawaii and what I think was the Phillipines in the past.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
It could get interesting if Sportsnet picks up CKUA. Their range is even better than CHED.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Thanks for the great post.

This makes sense, as I've noticed that 630 ched and 580 ckua were two of the best for reception all over Alberta, and they are two of the lowest frequencies.

I don't pick up ched at night in Kelowna, I suppose it's just blind luck which stations you get at night? As I said before 1260 didn't come in at night in Alberta and 15 hours away it's clear as a bell for the most part.

I do recall getting stations from as far as Hawaii and what I think was the Phillipines in the past.
It's not so much blind luck but it's based on the signal bouncing off the atmosphere at night and then coming back down in a certain location. In Edmonton at night we would get Team 1040 and Team 1410 and likewise, Vancouver does get higher frequency Edmonton stations. Calgary gets a lot of Seattle stations.

Old
07-31-2013, 01:32 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
It could get interesting if Sportsnet picks up CKUA. Their range is even better than CHED.
I really hope that doesnt happen. That would be a real shame. CKUA should be something that is off limits.

On another note, great edition of The Pipeline show last night. Guy had two professional scouts as guests for a few segments and it was top notch stuff. Very informative. You should check it out in the archives if you get the chance.

Dont have a link to the show, maybe Guy or someone else can post a link when it is available?

Old
07-31-2013, 01:36 AM
abootzky

It seems to me that I heard quite some time ago that CKUA is giving up its province-wide AM signal but will continue to broadcast in FM and on-line.

Old
07-31-2013, 02:37 AM
Trizent

Commercial free Gregor audio is updated regularly here- http://www.jasongregor.com/category/archive-shows/

Closed Thread