HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Emery has signed a 1-yr deal for $1.65m. Will wear #29. (updates in post #1)

Old
07-09-2013, 12:20 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
and worth every penny.

i love his fight.

there is no other goalie currently playing i would rather have
.....Jonathan Quick?

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:21 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Honestly, I don't see Lundqvist hitting free agency. I think New York will just give him a blank check and just say put whatever amount you want.
Exactly! Lundqvist is Mr.New York.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Curufinwe

Maybe he's tired of propping up a team that can't score in the playoffs.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Maybe he's tired of propping up a team that can't score in the playoffs.
Not for that kind of money unless he's in dire need of a cup in which case he needs to move because the Rangers are at least a few years from a cup potential.

Old
07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
3Fs

I'm hoping both these guys turn into beast and one of them next year could be trade bait and net us another 1st rounder since the draft is in Philly, which would make it that much sweeter.

I think I am leaning more towards Mason, hoping he is the one we keep. Reason why is Emery went through what I am going through right now. Avascular necrosis of the hip. I was told that if you do the procedure where they take your femur bone and use it to bring back your hip bone back to life, there is a chance it would die off again. So I fear for Emery having this happening to him. Not fun stuff, I get hip replacement surgery in August. One of the reasons I have been posting more than I usually do, because I have tons of free time.

I just hope they both don't fail or it will be a long long winter.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

much happier with this years goalie tandem compared to last year !

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
much happier with this years goalie tandem compared to last year !
I was always hoping to see more of Emery, and super stoked for potential of Mason. Would be sweet if bob has an off year and Mason turns it on

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

well, i wont wish bad luck on any other goalie ..... except when they play us

just a better overall scenario this year, with equal talent / potential among the 2 goalies.

we dont havta put all our 'hopes' on either goalie this year ..... and i doubt we will see the media circus this year .....

just healthier all 'round ..... very optimistic about our goaltending

Old
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

just a better overall scenario this year, with equal talent / potential among the 2 goalies.

we dont havta put all our 'hopes' on either goalie this year ..... and i doubt we will see the media circus this year .....

Since the lockout the only goalies who've had moderate success on the Flyers were Bob, Niitty and Biron that I can remember. Bob and Niitty were both very athletic and never gave up on a play. I think that's the type of goalie this team needs and unfortunately neither of the two goalies going into this season fit that mold IMO. Considering Mason's age and abilities he has the potential to be that guy, sadly Emery on the other hand just isn't physically capable of being that guy anymore. For this reason I'm not nearly as optimistic as you going into next season. That's not to say I think goaltending will be a major issue I just don't see it as a strength, I expect about average goaltending from this duo.

Mason will most definitely have a bad stretch, like every other goalie in the league, and the Philly media will eat him alive. I'm sure he's learn and grown as a player but form what I have heard his biggest problem is dealing with failure. BJ fans often talked about his body language after he lets in a softy or two in a bad game and how he just gives up, that won't go over well with the fans and the media will remind him of that. If Mason is gonna be successful here he's gonna need to be tougher, mentally speaking and never give up on any play just cause he's let in a softy earlier.

Moreover my concerns with Emery is that his recent success was most probably the direct result of playing behind such a good team. Talking to Hawks fans they all say the same thing, he's physically slow and not very athletic but he battles very hard. I'm just not convinced a guy like that can succeed on this team but he sure won't take as much heat from the fans if he continues to battle.

If only were could combine the best attributes of these two goalies, I think we'd have a legit starting goalie.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Larry44

Quote:

ROTFLMAO, Bernie, Ha, ha, ha. Good one.

OF COURSE there is going to be a media circus.

Every time Mason says something selfish, arrogant or flaky, he'll be compared to Bryz.

Every time Emery falls down, his health will be questioned.

If the team is winning, it'll be 'why haven't they extended the goalies yet?'

If the team is losing, it'll be 'who can they acquire to replace the goalies?'

By January, the trade deadline rental questions will start: Halak? Elliott? Miller? Thomas? and then the questions on whether we get a rental, if we'll extend him.

There are only three sure things in life: death, taxes, Flyers goalie drama.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Curufinwe

Mason doesn't seem like the type to say those kind of things.

Old
07-30-2013, 11:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I do agree that continued goalie drama will be assured but doubt as much as what surrounded Bryz who fanned the flames and didn't help his own cause. Emery at least won't really produce much of his own drama..maybe Mason will in some form if he suffers with his confidence like he is known to do but it will never equal space cadet Bryz..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
That was one of the main reasons a lot of CBS fans had a problem with him actually (well, after his poor play there of course). After any poor performance of his he never took responsibility and constantly threw the team under the bus.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
If there's serious goalie drama nobody should be surprised. This tandem is frankly a HUGE question mark. At least it could be a short-lived one if things go wrong. I wouldn't keep expectations too high for this duo...if they do well, hooray! If they don't, oh well.

07-30-2013, 03:11 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Panaccio: Mason is unresponsive to my repeated questions. This must mean he is the same with teammates in the locker room. Controversy!!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
That was one of the main reasons a lot of CBS fans had a problem with him actually (well, after his poor play there of course). After any poor performance of his he never took responsibility and constantly threw the team under the bus.
I read that about him too, but even before that, he seemed a little odd in his media interviews.

He just got to Philly and started going on about 'I'm here to challenge for the starter's job,' which is OK for training camp to project confidence but he was coming in as a backup to a team making a desperate playoff run. It should have been 'I'm here to help the team in any way.'

There was a reason Bryz dissed him, pretending to sleep on the bench that time.

You can't win as a goalie if your teammates don't support you. It starts with humility and taking one for the team, not selfishness and hanging them out to dry.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If there's serious goalie drama nobody should be surprised. This tandem is frankly a HUGE question mark. At least it could be a short-lived one if things go wrong. I wouldn't keep expectations too high for this duo...if they do well, hooray! If they don't, oh well.
I am actually not that worried.

I think Emery is going to be fine. He played very well last year - and I liked him when was here before.

Mason, well, the jury is still out, but he was good in Jr. at the WJC and in London, and he won the Calder. The Jackets were a team clusterF for the next couple years. If it was his fault or he was the victim is hard to say. His WJC partner, Bernier, hasn't even been a starter yet, Mason's had a few years of it. He reminds me of Luke Schenn in a way. Great right out of the gate, struggled through lousing coaching/management and needed a new team to start afresh.

In the best case scenario, we get great play out of both of them.
In the worst, we trade for a keeper after Christmas and sign someone UFA.

At least we know it won't be boring.

Old
07-30-2013, 03:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I read that about him too, but even before that, he seemed a little odd in his media interviews.

He just got to Philly and started going on about 'I'm here to challenge for the starter's job,' which is OK for training camp to project confidence but he was coming in as a backup to a team making a desperate playoff run. It should have been 'I'm here to help the team in any way.'

There was a reason Bryz dissed him, pretending to sleep on the bench that time.

You can't win as a goalie if your teammates don't support you. It starts with humility and taking one for the team, not selfishness and hanging them out to dry.
I agree with this..I didn't find it all that kosher either...and listening to his interview on NHL radio (Sirius/XM) after he was acquired by the Flyers kind of reminded me of previous Leighton rhetoric in some ways which scared me. He seems to be apt to make excuses and the way he tries to convey self-assuredness doesn't seem all that convincing but that is just my perception. Hopefully I'm wrong...we can't afford another head case in net although Emery is better "insurance" than Boosh or Leighton was to Bryz....small consolation I suppose.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 07-30-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: NHL radio not network
Old
07-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

I don't have a problem with what he actually said.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpostprint.htm?id=16184

Quote:
"My goal is to be the best goaltender that I can be and in my mind that's a No. 1 goaltender," he said. "It's going to take a lot of work but it's something I'm prepared to do and it started a few days ago when the trade went down. It's something I'm looking forward to and I'm just really excited to get it going.

"It's been a tough past couple years in Columbus, but I'm in Philadelphia now and I can leave all that baggage [in Columbus] and start over here. This is a great opportunity. I realize there are a lot of challenges that are in front of me, but as a hockey player that's what you want. You don't want things to always be easy. It makes the good times all that much better."

Old
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I don't have a problem with what he actually said.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpostprint.htm?id=16184
I did. His job was to support Bryz and spell him a bit as the team made a desperate run at the playoffs. This was not the time to bring the 'who will the number 1 goalie' drama. He was just acquired by a team with a proven starting goalie with 7 more years left on his contract.

This was not the only interview that gave me the sense that for him, it's all about him.

Every subsequent interview he just seemed a little creepy to me. It might be that he's just a knob, but I got that Phoney Phil Mickelson vibe about him and that will never go over well in a hockey dressing room, even given the leeway goalies get to be weird.

I would love to be wrong, and that he's growing up finally. We need him to.

Old
07-30-2013, 07:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I did. His job was to support Bryz and spell him a bit as the team made a desperate run at the playoffs. This was not the time to bring the 'who will the number 1 goalie' drama. He was just acquired by a team with a proven starting goalie with 7 more years left on his contract.

This was not the only interview that gave me the sense that for him, it's all about him.

Every subsequent interview he just seemed a little creepy to me. It might be that he's just a knob, but I got that Phoney Phil Mickelson vibe about him and that will never go over well in a hockey dressing room, even given the leeway goalies get to be weird.

Bryzgalov had his bags packed & one foot out the door at that point.

I rather have Mason have some confidence & set his goals high than do the opposite but that's just me. I don't need to be fed generic BS by players all the time.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Bryzgalov had his bags packed & one foot out the door at that point.

I rather have Mason have some confidence & set his goals high than do the opposite but that's just me. I don't need to be fed generic BS by players all the time.
exactly..

i think it was pretty clear by the time Mason arrived, the front office had their minds made up about Bryz.

no doubt Mason was informed of his chance at number 1 given good play.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

OF COURSE there is going to be a media circus.
i dont agree. i think both are smart enough to steer clear of it & i bet the team will help them avoid controversey

Old
07-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Larry44

Quote:
i dont agree. i think both are smart enough to steer clear of it & i bet the team will help them avoid controversey
I hope you are right, but I am not holding my breath.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

I guess I wasnt the only one with the creepy vibe...it is hard to explain but I just try to remind myself that goalies are an odd breed of humanoid and prone to knobiness. I never forget Soderstrom when I went to Voorhees..dude was saying creepy things about little teen girls while signing an autograph for me. I went to Tim Kerr camp and Laforest was the biggest knob!