HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Offseason roster build thread part Additional Nauseum

Old
07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Posting it in here, because it's speculation, but the Sabres might be looking at an assistant coach from Harvard to add to their staff.

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Posting it in here, because it's speculation, but the Sabres might be looking at an assistant coach from Harvard to add to their staff.
Well, a link would help ascertain if there's any credence to that speculation.

I'll play along anyway ... I don't see Harvard head coach Ted Donato leaving his alma mater. Next, with Jim Corsi retained, we can rule out their goalie coach Bruce Irving; so by process of elimination, that leaves assistants Jerry Forton (F/D coach; 17 years of NCAA assistant coaching experience--13 with Niagara, 2 with UMass-Lowell, 2 with Harvard; former UB hockey and soccer player; also has a UB law degree) and Albie O'Connell (D/ST coach; top-ranked PP in 2011-12; former BU captain) as potential candidates, with Forton seeming the more likely hire (age, experience, ties).

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:46 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Well, a link would help ascertain if there's any credence to that speculation.

I'll play along anyway ... I don't see Harvard head coach Ted Donato leaving his alma mater. Next, with Jim Corsi retained, we can rule out their goalie coach Bruce Irving; so by process of elimination, that leaves assistants Jerry Forton (F/D coach; 17 years of NCAA assistant coaching experience--13 with Niagara, 2 with UMass-Lowell, 2 with Harvard; former UB hockey and soccer player; also has a UB law degree) and Albie O'Connell (D/ST coach; top-ranked PP in 2011-12; former BU captain) as potential candidates, with Forton seeming the more likely hire (age, experience, ties).
Thanks for the breakdown, Woodhouse.

Any Crimson fans want to shed more light on Forton/O'Connell in terms of strategy/style?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:48 AM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
Those happen to be almost "my" exact lines. Only thing I'd change is have Foligno and Leino trade places. So you'd end up with a more accentuated version of the "first line - sheltered o-zone second line- shutdown third line" - blueprint.

Ennis-Grigorenko-Leino would be soft as butter but also skilled to boot and taking advantage of lesser opponents, whereas
Foligno -Larsson-Ott could be a real pain-in-the-ass shutdown line.
Other than that, I'm good.
I hear ya, I just think that Leino is the better at defense of the two, whereas their offensive skill is probably close to equal. Plus I'd want some intimidation on a line with non-physical guys like Grigs and Ennis.

That and I think Foligno is going to earn a bigger place on this team in the upcoming season.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The defense is probably the most wide open, even moreso than the menagerie of forwards currently on the roster.

LD:

Ehrhoff
Tallinder
Weber
Sulzer
McNabb

RD:

Myers
Pysyk
McBain
Ristolainen (possibly)
Ruhwedel

If Tallinder is really back to be a cushion for Myers, then another RD will be playing up with Ehrhoff getting "top" minutes. That's Pysyk who may be up to the task, but damn, that's a lot of responsibility for a 2nd year pro. McBain would need to be a revelation to earn that spot -- like comic book alternate dimension stuff.

If Ehrhoff is paired out with Myers as a high-minute pairing like Rolston used them prior to Tyler's injury, then they have the schmoozle of Tallinder/Weber/Sulzer and Pysyk/McBain with the options that McNabb or Ristolainen or Ruhwedel force the issue in camp.

Any of them could basically line up with anyone else, as long as the handedness works.

07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The defense is probably the most wide open, even moreso than the menagerie of forwards currently on the roster.

LD:

Ehrhoff
Tallinder
Weber
Sulzer
McNabb

RD:

Myers
Pysyk
McBain
Ristolainen (possibly)
Ruhwedel

If Tallinder is really back to be a cushion for Myers, then another RD will be playing up with Ehrhoff getting "top" minutes. That's Pysyk who may be up to the task, but damn, that's a lot of responsibility for a 2nd year pro. McBain would need to be a revelation to earn that spot -- like comic book alternate dimension stuff.

If Ehrhoff is paired out with Myers as a high-minute pairing like Rolston used them prior to Tyler's injury, then they have the schmoozle of Tallinder/Weber/Sulzer and Pysyk/McBain with the options that McNabb or Ristolainen or Ruhwedel force the issue in camp.

Any of them could basically line up with anyone else, as long as the handedness works.
Ehrhoff-Pysyk could be an elite minute-eating pair, but I don't think that granting Pysyk those minutes this early in his career would be good for his development.

Myers is about to be a fifth-year pro. He shouldn't be babied anymore. He needs to come to camp with a clearly-defined role and clearly-defined expectations. If he's up to the task, great. If he's not, you have a long-term hiccup on your cap and payroll.

I'm going with:

Ehrhoff-Myers - all situations, minute-eating.

Weber-Pysyk - d-zone starts. Weber serves as a veteran mentor for Pysyk.

Tallinder-McBain - o-zone starts.

Sulzer as the no. 7, McNabb as the primary LHD recall and Ruhwedel/Ristolainen the primary RHD recalls.

McNabb, Ristolainen and Ruhwedel could out-play any of Tallinder/McBain/Sulzer and earn a full-time gig. It's a good problem to have.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:22 PM
JLewyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Ehrhoff-Pysyk could be an elite minute-eating pair, but I don't think that granting Pysyk those minutes this early in his career would be good for his development.

Myers is about to be a fifth-year pro. He shouldn't be babied anymore. He needs to come to camp with a clearly-defined role and clearly-defined expectations. If he's up to the task, great. If he's not, you have a long-term hiccup on your cap and payroll.

I'm going with:

Sulzer as the no. 7, McNabb as the primary LHD recall and Ruhwedel/Ristolainen the primary RHD recalls.

McNabb, Ristolainen and Ruhwedel could out-play any of Tallinder/McBain/Sulzer and earn a full-time gig. It's a good problem to have.
I'm hoping McNabb shows his stuff at training camp/preseason. When Regeir traded Sekera he mentioned he wanted to make room for the young guns. On the left side, the only one that fits that bill is McNabb. I would like one(or both) of Tallinder and Sulzer to clear waivers before the season starts so we have a little bit more flexibility throughout the season between Buf and Roc. McNabb making the roster will make Darcy send one Sulzer or Tallinder down until the first injury call-up unless he wants to keep 8 D on the roster.

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:13 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post

I'm going with:

I strongly prefer to pair up stay-at-home guys with more offensive guys. So:

Tallinder - Myers [It worked great before for both of them, so you have to at least try them together again]

Ehrhoff-Pysyk [I think Pysyk is a good enough skater that he can handle the minutes, and Ehrhoff is good enough to cover a lot of rookie-type mistakes]

Weber-McBain/Risto

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:

LD:

Ehrhoff
Tallinder
Weber
Sulzer
McNabb

RD:

Myers
Pysyk
McBain
Ristolainen (possibly)
Ruhwedel

RD 3 is wide open. I like the competition there.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Grahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I strongly prefer to pair up stay-at-home guys with more offensive guys. So:

Tallinder - Myers [It worked great before for both of them, so you have to at least try them together again]

Ehrhoff-Pysyk [I think Pysyk is a good enough skater that he can handle the minutes, and Ehrhoff is good enough to cover a lot of rookie-type mistakes]

Weber-McBain/Risto
They will definetly try Tallinder - Myers, at least in one of the pre-season games... Maybe they will go into the season together aswell but i don't think they will stay together for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
RD 3 is wide open. I like the competition there.
my bet is it'll go to McBain. They need him on the pp

Grahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:46 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Panthers Postseason?

vCash: 72
I already posted here, but I just wanted to add a follow up question. Why don't the Sabres at least attempt to lockup Vanek and Miller long term? I know the Sabres are trying to rebuild, but you can't find many better pieces than Miller and Vanek to build around. Maybe they cold sign different free agents to better contracts to compliment these 2?

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

LD:

Ehrhoff
Tallinder
Weber
Sulzer
McNabb

RD:

Myers
Pysyk
McBain
Ristolainen (possibly)
Ruhwedel

I'm big on Ruhwedel, but honestly?

Don't be shocked if McBain is given the opportunity to fill that spot out of the gate.

I'm freaky about my defensemen, and my dissection of them and my evaluation of them positionally, mentally, situationally, etc.,... I'm in the process of picking McBain apart. There could be a case of a mini resurgence with a change of scenery for him.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 01:54 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I already posted here, but I just wanted to add a follow up question. Why don't the Sabres at least attempt to lockup Vanek and Miller long term? I know the Sabres are trying to rebuild, but you can't find many better pieces than Miller and Vanek to build around. Maybe they cold sign different free agents to better contracts to compliment these 2?
Because Miller isn't worth what he will command, and in our current situation as an organization, there's no need to pay top dollar for a goalie.

Vanek doesn't necessarily want to be a part of a rebuild; rather, wants to play somewhere where he has a chance to win - he will get paid wherever he goes.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:19 AM
turkulad

Canucks fan here, wondering if you could tell some things about Mark Pysyk and Corey Tropp.

I'm highly interested about the potential of Tropp this season. Would you say people are pencilling him in on the extra forward slot (if any) only because he had a bad injury last year or also because he honestly hasn't proven enough to be pencilled in a 4th line spot? Or does also have a lot to do with the depth you have and him genuinely having to fight for a spot?

Also, I'd love to hear your assessment on Mark Pysyk's potentials, meaning both the floor and the ceiling?

Thanks in advance..

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 07:33 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Canucks fan here, wondering if you could tell some things about Mark Pysyk and Corey Tropp.

I'm highly interested about the potential of Tropp this season. Would you say people are pencilling him in on the extra forward slot (if any) only because he had a bad injury last year or also because he honestly hasn't proven enough to be pencilled in a 4th line spot? Or does also have a lot to do with the depth you have and him genuinely having to fight for a spot?

Also, I'd love to hear your assessment on Mark Pysyk's potentials, meaning both the floor and the ceiling?

Thanks in advance..

On Tropp, a lot of people are penciling him in for an extra slot because he brought a little bit of punch to a team lacking it at the time. He was pretty good on the forecheck, and seemed to hustle. The sample size was small, though. It gets overlooked that Flynn outperformed him this year in a slightly smaller sample size, and is more versatile (and as I have said a few times this offseason, I think there is more there in Flynn untapped).

Personally, I don't see Tropp seeing much ice right away. Might have to wait until the injuries hit.

Pysyk is a smart positional player with an awesome active stick and a solid first pass. Anticipates the forecheck well, supports his partner... I want him to show more confidence leading the rush and putting the puck on the net this season.

Old
08-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post

Thanks in advance..
I think Tropp would have been on the team this season if he hadn't gotten hurt during the lockout.

I think Tropp will be one of the 13 or 14 forwards coming out of training camp next seaon. Regier hates losing assets for nothing and won't risk putting him on waivers. Other fans disagree with me here and feel no one would claim him. His performance in training camp will dictate whether he earns a spot in the lineup.

Pysyk? Ceiling: Numminen. Floor: not sure who to compare. (saves a puppy)

Looking to make a trade?

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Dunkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Maybe they have. If you listen to the various press confernces and interviews both Regier and Pegula have stated that the player has to want to be here for an extension to be signed. I think it is pretty obvious that neither player wants to be here through the rebuild and who could blame them.

Dunkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:01 AM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I think Tropp would have been on the team this season if he hadn't gotten hurt during the lockout.

I think Tropp will be one of the 13 or 14 forwards coming out of training camp next seaon. Regier hates losing assets for nothing and won't risk putting him on waivers. Other fans disagree with me here and feel no one would claim him. His performance in training camp will dictate whether he earns a spot in the lineup.

Looking to make a trade?
If the Canucks didn't have Dale Weise signed, actually, he wouldn't be all that bad of a 4th RW target for us if he'd be expendable for you. The interest here was purely fantasy league -based.. not that I wouldn't wanna see Pysyk become a new Numminen for you. Good luck, and thanks

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:

I highly doubt we'll see Tropp get claimed on waivers. If his recovery's going well, he probably won't get waived. On the other hand, if his recovery's going poorly, he probably won't get picked up. We've all seen just how much a major knee injury can ruin a prospect who looks like he's about to take the next step.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

I think, with the sole exception of Calgary, we will be the least-interesting team in the league to watch this year. It could be one of the worst Sabres teams of all-time.

My one hope is that an identity starts to form somewhere. "Tough to play-against" is still only in theory, based on our recent drafts.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:11 PM
TheWook

I think its going to surprise alot of people that a team thats been gutted of its best players and long time coach wont be much worse than what they had before.

Will we make the playoffs? doubt it, but if players like Myers and Hodgson can continue to improve, then we arent as far off as people think imo. I see Darcys "suffering quote" as a couple of transition years to identify a new group of core players, while our prospects continue to develop.

TheWook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Looking to make a trade?
I don't think Tropp would be claimed, BUT they might keep him up as a spare forward anyways, not out of fear of losing him but rather because he's earned a roster spot as the spare forward. Could help create some competition among the young kids for those last few spots on a game-to-game basis too.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't think Tropp would be claimed, BUT they might keep him up as a spare forward anyways, not out of fear of losing him but rather because he's earned a roster spot as the spare forward. Could help create some competition among the young kids for those last few spots on a game-to-game basis too.
I'm assuming you mean in camp he does this not that he has already earned one.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 03:57 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Ristolainen has been left off of Team Finland's WJC Roster, I guess they feel he will be in Buffalo in the winter.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/31...ing-for-a-home

No home for Ryan Miller ..... nothing we haven't already talked about

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote